TESTERS WANTED! ×

Project X "Made for" driver shafts 2018

Curly6

Looking into a new driver for 2018, and have learned from various fitting experiences over the past few years that a correctly fitted shaft really is the engine of most drivers. With that being said, does anyone have any experience with the Even Flow Blue 65 that appears to be a new stock offering with some driver brands? I'm fairly certain that the Even Flow Blue is a made for shaft with the new Callaway Rogue lineup, and was curious if anyone has first hand experience with the made for vs. the real deal handcrafted Even Flow Blue

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Driver: :callaway-small:  Rogue 9*, -1" length
FW: :callaway-small:  Epic SZ 13.5*, 18* -.5" length

Utility: :titelist-small:  816 H2 21*
Irons: :callaway-small: Apex CF 16, std. lenght/lie
Wedges: :mizuno-small:  T7 Blue Ion, 52*, 56*, 60*
Putter: :odyssey-small:  #7S
Ball: K-sig (until I run out)

RH golfer from Detroit, MI with a 14 handicap, working towards single digits

The handcrafted is literally rolled by hand.

The non handcrafted is made by machine.

The shafts have the exact same profiles. These are not 'made for' in the old way of thinking

My driver shaft is a hzrdus yellow 65, non handcrafted

My fairway wood shaft is hzrdus yellow 76,handcrafted.

I contacted project x about the 76 because I didn't see it on the website. They said it's the 75, but because it's handcrafted they mark the exact weight of each shaft rather than the standard weight. Thus, there might be a handcrafted 76 shaft somewhere and a handcrafted 75 shaft sitting right next to it.

Thanks for the input. I wonder how some of the other shafts available when ordering from Callaway stack up.

Thanks for the input. I wonder how some of the other shafts available when ordering from Callaway stack up.

All of the no upcharge shafts are real deal. In fact I don't know of any OEM selling clubs with altered shafts anymore.

All of the no upcharge shafts are real deal. In fact I don't know of any OEM selling clubs with altered shafts anymore.

Good to know. I still need to test the new driver with a shaft other than the Even Flow Blue, it felt a tad spinny for me. 105 to 108 swing speed with a high fade as my big miss. It felt like I was losing a bit of the stability I wanted when I would try to get after it. Normally I have a slightly quick transition and struggled to smooth out my transition for the Even Flow Blue

Good to know. I still need to test the new driver with a shaft other than the Even Flow Blue, it felt a tad spinny for me. 105 to 108 swing speed with a high fade as my big miss. It felt like I was losing a bit of the stability I wanted when I would try to get after it. Normally I have a slightly quick transition and struggled to smooth out my transition for the Even Flow Blue

You'd probably be a better fit for the HZRDUS Yellow then. Really great feeling shaft that holds up well to a quicker transition

You'd probably be a better fit for the HZRDUS Yellow then. Really great feeling shaft that holds up well to a quicker transition

I'll have to check it out. Currently swinging with a Kuro Kagi Tini 60 gram in my M1. Haven't swung the HZRDUS Yellow. Any thoughts on how different they would be?

I'll have to check it out. Currently swinging with a Kuro Kagi Tini 60 gram in my M1. Haven't swung the HZRDUS Yellow. Any thoughts on how different they would be?

They are very similar.  I was between the Kuro and the HZRDUS yellow when I got fitted for the M2.  I found the HZRDUS Yellow to give me a more stable/repeatable ball flight.  Torque on the Kuro is a good amount higher (4.4 vs 3.3) so that could definitely be why.

The HZRDUS Yellow is slightly backweighted, so it has a really nice feel to if for such a stable shaft.  The HZRDUS black has the same launch properties as the yellow, but feels MUCH stiffer.

Looking into a new driver for 2018, and have learned from various fitting experiences over the past few years that a correctly fitted shaft really is the engine of most drivers. With that being said, does anyone have any experience with the Even Flow Blue 65 that appears to be a new stock offering with some driver brands? I'm fairly certain that the Even Flow Blue is a made for shaft with the new Callaway Rogue lineup, and was curious if anyone has first hand experience with the made for vs. the real deal handcrafted Even Flow Blue

Three points to be made here.

First off, no shaft is ever the "engine" of any golf club. You, the person swinging the club is the engine. The shaft is merely the "transmission" along which the energy is transferred. 

Secondly, it's now 2018. Gone are the days when "made for" shafts were of a lower quality and of dubious performance. At the end of the day, club OEM's carefully select the shaft to best compliment the greatest target audience to the club - that is the best overall average which will sell the biggest units. Not some junk shaft that will be a flop to the majority of golfing abilities.

The handcrafted shaft might fit a small proportion of golfers who can discern a advantage into using it, but bear in mind the cost to performance ratio is used up by the labour utilised to make it - the extra expense is not necessarily a superior product in terms of tolerance, specification or performance.

Third and last - to get the best out of any driver, a fitting is a MUST. Once you have a shaft to head combination that has been optimised to fit you, then any talk of superior products simply do not apply - because by definition, there can't be any. 

Three points to be made here.

First off, no shaft is ever the "engine" of any golf club. You, the person swinging the club is the engine. The shaft is merely the "transmission" along which the energy is transferred.

Secondly, it's now 2018. Gone are the days when "made for" shafts were of a lower quality and of dubious performance. At the end of the day, club OEM's carefully select the shaft to best compliment the greatest target audience to the club - that is the best overall average which will sell the biggest units. Not some junk shaft that will be a flop to the majority of golfing abilities.

The handcrafted shaft might fit a small proportion of golfers who can discern a advantage into using it, but bear in mind the cost to performance ratio is used up by the labour utilised to make it - the extra expense is not necessarily a superior product in terms of tolerance, specification or performance.

Third and last - to get the best out of any driver, a fitting is a MUST. Once you have a shaft to head combination that has been optimised to fit you, then any talk of superior products simply do not apply - because by definition, there can't be any.

I may have misused my engine analogy. I think what I was trying to get at was more of how important a properly fit shaft is in the combination and I will say that yes, I will most definitely be going for a fitting. The clarification on made for shafts helps a lot. What I really want to avoid is purchasing a new driver for top dollar and not getting the shaft that works best for me, which is what brought me to my questions of the stock offerings, and the answers that have been given where exactly what I was looking for. I made a mistake of working with a club tech at a local shop without any real in depth fitting and wasted good dollars on a driver and shaft combination that was not a good fit for me.

I may have misused my engine analogy. I think what I was trying to get at was more of how important a properly fit shaft is in the combination and I will say that yes, I will most definitely be going for a fitting. The clarification on made for shafts helps a lot. What I really want to avoid is purchasing a new driver for top dollar and not getting the shaft that works best for me, which is what brought me to my questions of the stock offerings, and the answers that have been given where exactly what I was looking for. I made a mistake of working with a club tech at a local shop without any real in depth fitting and wasted good dollars on a driver and shaft combination that was not a good fit for me.

That mistake was years ago and have since been through a thorough fitting. Very different experience goi bb g through an in depth fitting with an experienced professional vs working with someone on a store floor.

While we are on this topic, does anyone think there is a noticable difference between Project X's standard shafts and handcrafted shafts? I have the HZRDUS Black, standard.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

While we are on this topic, does anyone think there is a noticable difference between Project X's standard shafts and handcrafted shafts? I have the HZRDUS Black, standard.

Not at all. I've hit both and there's no way to tell. That's why I have no issue with gaming a standard in my driver and hand crafted in my fairway.

Had Xr Pro driver and still have xr Pro woods. I was told stock shaft had same profile and near as exact specs to handcrafted. Was told by fitter, differences were standard was machine woven and other obviously was the handcrafted. But at my 8 handicap I wouldn't be able to tell difference.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

WITB 2021
Driver: Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 9* w/ C.Kua Stiff

FW: Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 15* w/ C.Kua Stiff

HY: Cleveland Launcher Halo 19* w/ C.Kua Stiff 

Irons: Titleist 716 AP1 4-PW w/ KBS 90 Stiff

Wedges: Vokey SM8 50*, 54*, & 60^

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Laguna 2 OR OG Futura

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1/V1x OR Chrome Soft TT

Bag: Sun Mountain 2019 4.5 14way carry

Clothes: Nike OR Under Armour 

Not at all. I've hit both and there's no way to tell. That's why I have no issue with gaming a standard in my driver and hand crafted in my fairway.

Great, thanks for the comparison jlukes.

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

• 2 years later...

There are small differences. While specs and things like radial consistency are the same in Project X HC/Small Batch vs Non, shafts from other manufacturers like the Ventus and Tensei are different stock vs Upcharge. Velocore (Ventus) and MR70 (Tensei Pro) are different materials and are higher quality with different properties. While most stock shafts are now extremely high quality, the differences are more noticeable in Xstiff versions, where it's hard to achieve the same characteristics from lesser quality fibers. If you swing a driver slower than 110 or have a very smooth tempo you may not notice as much. 

image.png.1415d20f5fde9c8e2717e5529344485f.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/22/2020 at 1:16 AM, Ben Ross said:

There are small differences. While specs and things like radial consistency are the same in Project X HC/Small Batch vs Non, shafts from other manufacturers like the Ventus and Tensei are different stock vs Upcharge. Velocore (Ventus) and MR70 (Tensei Pro) are different materials and are higher quality with different properties. While most stock shafts are now extremely high quality, the differences are more noticeable in Xstiff versions, where it's hard to achieve the same characteristics from lesser quality fibers. If you swing a driver slower than 110 or have a very smooth tempo you may not notice as much. 

Biggest difference for the Tensei and Ventus example from about is that you can see the Pro/Non-Pro Tensei models and curves on the MRC website.  Which seemed to be the way we were going until TM put this new Ventus on the SIM line which was lacking the Velocore and last time I checked was still not on the Fujikura website.

So the Tensei CK Orange in the stock PING lineup is not a Tensei CK Pro Orange, it is the same as the Tensei CK Orange you can get from them.  I believe that is an important distinction.

Capture.JPG

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8