TESTERS WANTED! ×

Maltby DBM, MMB, and PTM suggestions

Hey all! So in the next few months or so, I'll be in the market for a set of irons (happy birthday to me!). I'm completely sold on the Maltby lineup of forged clubs but am not really sure which direction to go yet. I love the simplicity of the DBM's and from reading, it appears that they may have a slightly softer feel than the rest as they are true forgings (please correct me if I'm wrong). The other 2 options appear to have some very interesting tech built in but I'm just sure if it's more or less hype when comparing them to the DBM's or if they actually add some additional magic. Here's the rundown on my game: I've been playing Gigagolf single length for the past year. I was intrigued by the concept and decided to give it a whirl. Prior to that I played the same GG set but in standard length. They're without a doubt GI clubs with thick top lines, offset face, and large cavity pockets but they served their purpose well and were fantastic clubs. I spent a lot of time in 2017 working on my swing mechanics and feel that it's time to move on to the next level of equipment and these clubs all seem to fit the bill nicely. Short story long, I'm just looking for any direction, suggestions, precautions, etc. Has anyone owned multiples of these and like one over the other? If I have a slightly steep downswing and getting height is not an issue, is there a shaft option that I should look for? I know that a lot of this is subjective to each person's preference and skill level but I'm just looking to get as much data as possible. Lastly, although it shouldn't be the main determining factor.. if you have pictures PLEASE share :) 

Thx!

Stu

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Welcome aboard Stu and you came to the right place to ask equipment questions.  Jump in the threads and I'm sure you'll received plenty of great advice!

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Welcome I wish I could help but I know absolutely nothing about the Maltby Lineup

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

stu from AZ?

I am a big fan of dark/black iron heads but the problem is that you need to manufacture them the right way or else the black coloring fades and they look like c-r-a-p.  Well, apparently Maltby DBM has cracked the code because everywhere I've read and researched shows that the black on these irons does not fade away.

Check out this article about how they build them and then you'll see the difference - https://www.golfworks.com/images/art/2013_article_DBM.pdf

I'm looking at a 2nd set and these are on my very short list.

I hear they are a lot of fun to play and really great irons.  Good luck and welcome to the party!!

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

stu from AZ?

I am a big fan of dark/black iron heads but the problem is that you need to manufacture them the right way or else the black coloring fades and they look like c-r-a-p. Well, apparently Maltby DBM has cracked the code because everywhere I've read and researched shows that the black on these irons does not fade away.

Check out this article about how they build them and then you'll see the difference - https://www.golfworks.com/images/art/2013_article_DBM.pdf

I'm looking at a 2nd set and these are on my very short list.

I hear they are a lot of fun to play and really great irons. Good luck and welcome to the party!!

You are correct.. I am Stu and I'm from AZ that article was pretty cool. I'm totally sold. So far I think my lineup will be the DBM's with the TT XP95 S shafts. I had a chance to play around with some different brand and weight shafts at the PGA superstore last night. I'm a regular there so they pretty much give me free reign of the fitting equipment. I grabbed some cobra forged MBs I.e. rickies blades and cycled through the shafts. The XP 95's were the winners! Now I just have to patiently wait until March (birthday). If I pull the trigger too soon, it falls under the "random purchase that we didn't discuss and we need that money for diapers and baby food" category.. That's not a place that I want to go.

Sent from my VS985 4G using MyGolfSpy mobile app

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

You are correct.. I am Stu and I'm from AZ that article was pretty cool. I'm totally sold. So far I think my lineup will be the DBM's with the TT XP95 S shafts. I had a chance to play around with some different brand and weight shafts at the PGA superstore last night. I'm a regular there so they pretty much give me free reign of the fitting equipment. I grabbed some cobra forged MBs I.e. rickies blades and cycled through the shafts. The XP 95's were the winners! Now I just have to patiently wait until March (birthday). If I pull the trigger too soon, it falls under the "random purchase that we didn't discuss and we need that money for diapers and baby food" category.. That's not a place that I want to go.

Sent from my VS985 4G using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Awesome!  Good luck and let us know how it works out.  

Those are great shafts.  I have them in my irons too.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Welcome to the forum from Indiana

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Titleist 917D2 10.5