Middler

Ping G400 vs G400 Max Driver?

With the changeable weights and grip weight options, there are ways to get around the extra weight. But yes, once it's done it's permanent.

I have a G that I am considering sending in for the giloo treatment as PING calls it. A few grams, some on the crown to deaden the sound, and a touch low back. Can't remember what the actual calculations were as far as SW.

Picked up the G400 SFT this year, only 2 rounds with it so far :( . Many more to come, but from the first 2 rounds I can not believe how consistent my drives have been. For anyone looking to have that comfortable feeling to grip it and rip it. I highly recommend this driver or any version there of!!

• Like 2

Tried the Max vs other G400 models this spring at a PGA Tour Superstore... they weren't busy so I got to try a lot of options, the CB shafts, the Tour shafts... I even brought in my G30 with custom Mitsubishi C6 Blue shaft, and they allowed me to swap my shaft into the new G400 heads... 

There were some slight improvements over the G30, but head to head against each other the G400 series were all about the same for me... I think it really comes down to preferences and fittings.  Go LST if you want to get as low spinning as possible.  SFT if you are looking for more draw bias or to tame down a fade.  G400 if you prefer the smaller head shape over the larger Max.. Max if your first priority is all forgiveness and you are less concerned about the size.. there's a head for everyone. 

I hit my G30 SFT great.  With the shaft I was fitted for, it's a great match for me.  I play 50g Mitsubishi C6 Blue, and have the heaviest weight I could find in my G30 SFT to bring it up to a D7 swing weight... it spins a tad more than I would like and if I could bring it down about 400 rpm it would be perfect... off center strikes can jump up to 3200-3400rpm which I don't like.. and lose a bit of distance.  Of course we are only talking a few yards, but at a 3-4hcp, i'm trying to optimize as much as I can to get lower.. 

All the G400 praise about forgiveness and better sound had me wanting... so I found a deal on a used G400 SFT on the bay.. I wanted the draw bias, so I'm sticking with the SFT.  The MAX also interested me, but I don't think it will be significantly more forgiving than the SFT, and want to keep the draw bias.. so willing to give up the minimial additional forgiveness knowing the SFT will still be a good bit more forgiving than the G30 SFT.

Got the head this week.  Hardest part for me with the SFT versions of the Ping drivers is the lower swingweight.  They come at stock D1 rather than D3 like the rest of the series.  I happened to have a bit heavier weight from a G400 hybrid I replaced and swapped out the stock weight.  Between that and the lighter/longer custom shaft I have, I got it up to about D4, and used a little lead tape to make up the difference and get it to D7 until a new 18 gram weight arrives from Golf Works tomorrow.

Had it on the course yesterday... and had the course to myself.  I did about 3 hours of direct comparisons hitting 3 balls with the G400 SFT head, and 3 with the G30 SFT with my same shaft.. was great to be able to do that and make an informed decision on which performs better.  

My results were that both perform admiribly.  I could game either.  Over the three hours many of the shots were very very comparible...

Similarities:

• Average distances appeared to be within 1-3 yards of each other
  • Both allowed a horrible shot when a bad swing is put on it LOL.. 
  • Trajectory appeared similar

Differences:

• The G30 SFT did balloon up just a tad into the wind, where the G400 SFT penetrated better.  The G400 seemed to have less spin on off center strikes
  • G400 was noticibly more forgiving on off center hits... higher face and heel strikes went further than similar strikes with the G30
  • I could put a draw on the G30 more often... The G400 wanted to go straighter (possibly due to the less spin or the weight position differences in the heads)
  • Sound and feel extremely different.  The G400 reminded me of the M1 driver, a dull thud.. I wasn't a fan at first, as I'm used to my G30, but the results I saw with the G400 will make that difference grow on my faster
  • Comparing best shot to best shot, the G400 consistently had the longest drive of the groups I hit, and was usually between 5-10 yards longer than my longest G30 drive

To validate my on course experience, I got on the SkyTrak today as well to get some dry testing numbers.. The SkyTrak session validated everything I noticed on course.

• Ball speeds almost identical.. within .5mph of each other, advantage to the G400
  • Launch angles, the G400 was almost 1 degree higher launching than the G30
  • G400 SFT spins a good deal less than the G30 SFT.  600 rpm less backspin with the G400 which was great to see, as it was the one thing I was hoping would be an improvement over the G30
  • Picked up 5 yards of carry with the G400 compared to the G30 and about 8 yards total distance
  • G30 had about a 1 yard higher peak height.. likely due to increased spin

The G400 SFT is not leaps and bounds better than my G30 SFT.  I could game either quite happily to be honest.  I actually prefer the feel of my G30 over the G400, which is certainly not the consensus reading through forums... I will need to give the G400 some time and see if I get used to the duller sound and different feel... 

Given the numbers though, and my on course experience.. the G400 SFT was more forgiving, gave me more potential for longer drives when well struck, spins less especailly into the wind, and I think cut a little sidespin as well.. and no mater how bad I thought I struck it on course when hitting several off the tee, they all ended up suprisingly close to each other.

At this point I have no reason NOT to play the G400.  A noticible improvement over the G30.

Great write-up Tony!!!

Nice, I like the write-up. It's great to be able to test side-by-side on the course!

Very well done Tony. Thanks for taking the time to share that very thorough testing with us.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Tried the Max vs other G400 models this spring at a PGA Tour Superstore... they weren't busy so I got to try a lot of options, the CB shafts, the Tour shafts... I even brought in my G30 with custom Mitsubishi C6 Blue shaft, and they allowed me to swap my shaft into the new G400 heads...

There were some slight improvements over the G30, but head to head against each other the G400 series were all about the same for me... I think it really comes down to preferences and fittings. Go LST if you want to get as low spinning as possible. SFT if you are looking for more draw bias or to tame down a fade. G400 if you prefer the smaller head shape over the larger Max.. Max if your first priority is all forgiveness and you are less concerned about the size.. there's a head for everyone.

I hit my G30 SFT great. With the shaft I was fitted for, it's a great match for me. I play 50g Mitsubishi C6 Blue, and have the heaviest weight I could find in my G30 SFT to bring it up to a D7 swing weight... it spins a tad more than I would like and if I could bring it down about 400 rpm it would be perfect... off center strikes can jump up to 3200-3400rpm which I don't like.. and lose a bit of distance. Of course we are only talking a few yards, but at a 3-4hcp, i'm trying to optimize as much as I can to get lower..

All the G400 praise about forgiveness and better sound had me wanting... so I found a deal on a used G400 SFT on the bay.. I wanted the draw bias, so I'm sticking with the SFT. The MAX also interested me, but I don't think it will be significantly more forgiving than the SFT, and want to keep the draw bias.. so willing to give up the minimial additional forgiveness knowing the SFT will still be a good bit more forgiving than the G30 SFT.

Got the head this week. Hardest part for me with the SFT versions of the Ping drivers is the lower swingweight. They come at stock D1 rather than D3 like the rest of the series. I happened to have a bit heavier weight from a G400 hybrid I replaced and swapped out the stock weight. Between that and the lighter/longer custom shaft I have, I got it up to about D4, and used a little lead tape to make up the difference and get it to D7 until a new 18 gram weight arrives from Golf Works tomorrow.

Had it on the course yesterday... and had the course to myself. I did about 3 hours of direct comparisons hitting 3 balls with the G400 SFT head, and 3 with the G30 SFT with my same shaft.. was great to be able to do that and make an informed decision on which performs better.

My results were that both perform admiribly. I could game either. Over the three hours many of the shots were very very comparible...

Similarities:

• Average distances appeared to be within 1-3 yards of each other
  • Both allowed a horrible shot when a bad swing is put on it LOL..
  • Trajectory appeared similar
Differences:
  • The G30 SFT did balloon up just a tad into the wind, where the G400 SFT penetrated better. The G400 seemed to have less spin on off center strikes
  • G400 was noticibly more forgiving on off center hits... higher face and heel strikes went further than similar strikes with the G30
  • I could put a draw on the G30 more often... The G400 wanted to go straighter (possibly due to the less spin or the weight position differences in the heads)
  • Sound and feel extremely different. The G400 reminded me of the M1 driver, a dull thud.. I wasn't a fan at first, as I'm used to my G30, but the results I saw with the G400 will make that difference grow on my faster
  • Comparing best shot to best shot, the G400 consistently had the longest drive of the groups I hit, and was usually between 5-10 yards longer than my longest G30 drive
To validate my on course experience, I got on the SkyTrak today as well to get some dry testing numbers.. The SkyTrak session validated everything I noticed on course.
  • Ball speeds almost identical.. within .5mph of each other, advantage to the G400
  • Launch angles, the G400 was almost 1 degree higher launching than the G30
  • G400 SFT spins a good deal less than the G30 SFT. 600 rpm less backspin with the G400 which was great to see, as it was the one thing I was hoping would be an improvement over the G30
  • Picked up 5 yards of carry with the G400 compared to the G30 and about 8 yards total distance
  • G30 had about a 1 yard higher peak height.. likely due to increased spin

The G400 SFT is not leaps and bounds better than my G30 SFT. I could game either quite happily to be honest. I actually prefer the feel of my G30 over the G400, which is certainly not the consensus reading through forums... I will need to give the G400 some time and see if I get used to the duller sound and different feel...

Given the numbers though, and my on course experience.. the G400 SFT was more forgiving, gave me more potential for longer drives when well struck, spins less especailly into the wind, and I think cut a little sidespin as well.. and no mater how bad I thought I struck it on course when hitting several off the tee, they all ended up suprisingly close to each other.

At this point I have no reason NOT to play the G400. A noticible improvement over the G30.

Nice write up - did you have a portable launch monitor along?

Nicely done review! So 8 yards further but a more muted sound than your G30. Will this go in your bag permanently and replace the G30?

MDGolfHacker

At this point I have no reason NOT to play the G400.  A noticible improvement over the G30.

Thanks for taking the time for the detailed write up.  

I absolutely loved everything about my G400 the look, sound, feel, and forgiveness. I got the bug and thought the F8+ was going to be all that and more. Because the Max with the Atmos Red wasn't as good as either one. I had another iron fitting last week that ended early so I thought I would give the Max another try. For the heck of it we put the Atmos Blue in, and it was like magic it all came together. It was better in every category.

• Like 3

I've tried both. The standard G400 seemed to work better for me. It generates more speed. I tried tons of drivers from every manufacturer, the Ping G400 was the best for me.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've tried both. The standard G400 seemed to work better for me. It generates more speed. I tried tons of drivers from every manufacturer, the Ping G400 was the best for me.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

That's awesome! I hope it serves you well. There are so many great clubs out there across all the golf companies that you're pretty much guaranteed to find something that works for you. Ping's drivers are fantastic.

• Like 1

I absolutely loved everything about my G400 the look, sound, feel, and forgiveness. I got the bug and thought the F8+ was going to be all that and more. Because the Max with the Atmos Red wasn't as good as either one. I had another iron fitting last week that ended early so I thought I would give the Max another try. For the heck of it we put the Atmos Blue in, and it was like magic it all came together. It was better in every category.

Putting the right shaft in a Max is like putting the right coon hound on the hunt! It's a heat seeking missile.  :D

• Like 5

I couldn't wrap my head around the max. It wasn't overwhelming at address rather I just couldn't seem to find the face. The LST was leaps and bounds ahead for me. SS was between 105-112 that day and it was a great match.

• Like 2

My new G400 SFT is a cannon with the standard Alta stiff flex shaft for me. Just returned from the range with it and find it hard to wipe the smile from my face. Oh and yeah...the sound is WAY better than than my former G-series SF Tec!!! :D

• Like 5

My new G400 SFT is a cannon with the standard Alta stiff flex shaft for me. Just returned from the range with it and find it hard to wipe the smile from my face. Oh and yeah...the sound is WAY better than than my former G-series SF Tec!!! :D

Welcome to the club.

Lots af goof info in this thread.

Only thing I could add was to echo the guys about the shafts.

I got the X-Torsion after a solid day with the fitter.

I keep up with my buddies Rouge, but I'm always in the middle.

Great drivers

• Like 2

I have the Max and I must say I like it very much.  Coming from the G30 LST, distance and dispersion have improved greatly. Where the old stick was a liability, the Max is an asset. I have it adjusted to 8.6 degrees with a 45" Tensei Pro White 70TX shaft. Distance is so much more consistent. I don't think this club will ever leave my bag.

• Like 4

While I was playing today, a friend asked me if he could look at my Max.  He was eyeballing it and said, " Did you know that is a crack on the hosel in the back!?" Sure enough where the little arrow is there was a thin crack.  I took it back to Dicks where I purchased it and my friend (who works there) called Ping.   They are sending me a new driver head to replace it. Ping has great customer service which makes me a happy and satisfied customer and I won't forget how quickly they took care of my issue.  

• Like 4

While I was playing today, a friend asked me if he could look at my Max. He was eyeballing it and said, " Did you know that is a crack on the hosel in the back!?" Sure enough where the little arrow is there was a thin crack. I took it back to Dicks where I purchased it and my friend (who works there) called Ping. They are sending me a new driver head to replace it. Ping has great customer which makes me a happy and satisfied customer and I won't forget how quickly they took care of my issue.

Man you whack that driver *HARD*!!!

• Like 3

Man you whack that driver *HARD*!!!

That's why they call me the Tower of Power  :D

• Like 1