Testers Wanted! AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Putting Drills To Improve Aim And Stroke

smartgolf

When putting, especially those long putts.. you can feel and almost bet that you have the right aim.. but the reality is your probably aiming far to the left or right.

Would training with laser pointers to check the aim and whether my stroke is a squared one or not actually help?

Suppose I can build the right muscle memory at home with practice then carry on on the field with that muscle memory...

This sounds like an ad but I will provide what I have learned from my putting instructor. Aside from speed the most important thing about setup and stroke is being able to start the ball on your intended line no matter what speed you are rolling the ball. Aim just needs to be consistent not perfect. If for example you consistently aim right but start the ball on your intended line should I try to change my aim or my stroke?

Focusing on speed and starting the ball on line will make you a better putter.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I have a quick and simple method for helping me groove my stroke and aim. I'll start with 2 alignment rods, with the tip of each rod placed on the edge of the hole on the practice green. It almost makes a track to the hole that is just a tad wider than the putter head. I'll start at 4 foot putts, and every ten balls I'll move out a foot, moving the alignment rods with me. Eventually I end at 8 and ten foot putts. Once I've made it out to the 8 to 10 foot range, I'll remove the alignment rod that is on the toe side of the putter and hit a few more balls. Then I remove the heel side alignment rod.

This helped me tremendously with squaring my putter up at impact. I like the alignment rods because they provide a physical block, you can see exactly when the ball hits them if your not striking squarely.

Driver: :callaway-small:  Rogue 9*, -1" length
FW: :callaway-small:  Epic SZ 13.5*, 18* -.5" length

Utility: :titelist-small:  816 H2 21*
Irons: :callaway-small: Apex CF 16, std. lenght/lie
Wedges: :mizuno-small:  T7 Blue Ion, 52*, 56*, 60*
Putter: :odyssey-small:  #7S
Ball: K-sig (until I run out)

RH golfer from Detroit, MI with a 14 handicap, working towards single digits

How do you all feel about using the Dave Pelz Putting Tutor? I recently bought one but have not practiced much with it. It's meant to train you on proper alignment. Its a bit weird putting off a plastic board so maybe your distance will be off but it should help you understand how to read breaks better.

There's an MGS post on the top 5 training aids and the readers recommended the eyeline putting mirror. This lets you put off the turf so I can see it being more realistic to your stroke.

Those two aids should help train you in judging breaks

Krank Formula X Veylix Alpina 573 45" 9*

:755178188_TourEdge:CBX 3 Wood Matrix HD Radix S VIII 43" 15*

Krank Formula X 5 Wood Matrix HD Radix S VIII 42" 18*

Wishon Golf 775HS 3H Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid X-Flex  39.75" 21*

Wishon Golf 585HI 3DI  same shaft as irons 38.25" 21*

Wishon Golf 575 MMC Forged 5-A N.S.Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Wishon Golf Micro-Groove HM S, L same shaft as irons 

:EVNROLL: ER7B Gravity Grip 35"

I paid $10 for potters putting to send me some drills to do at home. Here is a pic of his page; he has quite the following, and he does lessons via video submission.

IMG_4660.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I putt balls along the top of a 48” straight edge. If you don't have a square face and path at impact the ball will fall off either side before reaching the end. This one is nice because you can do it at home away from the golf course if you want.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

• 4 months later...

Archived