Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Winter in New England

KevinE

lakeside-17-tee.jpgTemps decided to climb into the low 50's yesterday.  Snow cover was all gone for about a week. Nice, local track, Connecticut National Golf Course in Putnam Ct., decided to take advantage, and opened up for the weekend. It was walking only, but my son and I decided to "scratch the itch". Conditions were everything we expected for winter golf. Greens were parking lot hard. But, putted  reasonably well. We waived all sand trap shots, since they were still rock solid. But all and all, it was an enjoyable golfing day. And, the itch was scratched!

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Driver   :bridgestone-small:     JGR 9.5 R Flex Adila 65        

3 Wood  :callaway-logo-1:            XR RFlex Fujikura Evolution

5 Wood :callaway-logo-1:            XR R Flex Project X 5.5                                     

7Wood  :adams-small:    Speedline LP R Flex Matix HD Radix 5.1                                                                                                           Irons      :bridgestone-small:   4 thru A Wedge  J-15 CB R Flex NS Pro                                                                                                             Wedges :cleveland-small:              56 CG 15                                                                                                                                                                           XE!                      65                                                                                                                                                                       Putter      :EVNROLL:         ER 5  Hatchback                                                                                                                                                Ball          :titelist-small:                 NXT Tour S                                                                                                                                      

attachicon.giflakeside-17-tee.jpgTemps decided to climb into the low 50's yesterday. Snow cover was all gone for about a week. Nice, local track, Connecticut National Golf Course in Putnam Ct., decided to take advantage, and opened up for the weekend. It was walking only, but my son and I decided to "scratch the itch". Conditions were everything we expected for winter golf. Greens were parking lot hard. But, putted reasonably well. We waived all sand trap shots, since they were still rock solid. But all and all, it was an enjoyable golfing day. And, the itch was scratched!

Good for you!

The January thaw strikes again.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Kevin, glad you were able to play. We had a thaw in Ohio as well but the courses around me are still closed. Back to the practice sessions in the basement

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

attachicon.giflakeside-17-tee.jpgTemps decided to climb into the low 50's yesterday.  Snow cover was all gone for about a week. Nice, local track, Connecticut National Golf Course in Putnam Ct., decided to take advantage, and opened up for the weekend. It was walking only, but my son and I decided to "scratch the itch". Conditions were everything we expected for winter golf. Greens were parking lot hard. But, putted  reasonably well. We waived all sand trap shots, since they were still rock solid. But all and all, it was an enjoyable golfing day. And, the itch was scratched!

Good for you! Hoping to do the same in a few weeks, definitely itchy.

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

attachicon.giflakeside-17-tee.jpgTemps decided to climb into the low 50's yesterday. Snow cover was all gone for about a week. Nice, local track, Connecticut National Golf Course in Putnam Ct., decided to take advantage, and opened up for the weekend. It was walking only, but my son and I decided to "scratch the itch". Conditions were everything we expected for winter golf. Greens were parking lot hard. But, putted reasonably well. We waived all sand trap shots, since they were still rock solid. But all and all, it was an enjoyable golfing day. And, the itch was scratched!

I lived in New England 47 yrs remember traveling from wmass to RI winnapaug only course open - when all courses in wmass closed - SOOO glad thats a thing of the past live in SC no more rock hard greens and tee boxes you can get a tee in the ground - but I did what you did for yrs love to play no choice

Bags

I lived in New England 47 yrs remember traveling from wmass to RI winnapaug only course open - when all courses in wmass closed - SOOO glad thats a thing of the past live in SC no more rock hard greens and tee boxes you can get a tee in the ground - but I did what you did for yrs love to play no choice

Bags

Yup, good ole Winnapaug, It seems that they never closed. We used to make the trip a few times a year from central ct. there was one green from what I remember was always “under repair”.

BTW lived in CT 65 years.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Mid-Atlantic has had some mild temps, and with snow gone we have stolen a few rounds in January.  Biggest challenges other than those noted (hard greens, almost unplayable traps) is trying to get a tee in the frozen ground.  Sometimes the first 1/2 inch is fine, but "permafrost" below...  thinking about carrying a small powerdrill next time!!!

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

Bags

I haven't played Winnie in years....that used to be a staple in late February or March, when I was younger. Have heard thru the grape vine that the course has improved immensely since the early 80's. I remember leaving Central Mass with temps in the 30's and get to Westerly with thermometer  reading 45 degrees. Not bad. Never accounted for the 15-20 mph winds coming off the Atlantic. I was never warm at Winnie!!!!!

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

7Wood  :adams-small:    Speedline LP R Flex Matix HD Radix 5.1                                                                                                           Irons      :bridgestone-small:   4 thru A Wedge  J-15 CB R Flex NS Pro                                                                                                             Wedges :cleveland-small:              56 CG 15                                                                                                                                                                           XE!                      65                                                                                                                                                                       Putter      :EVNROLL:         ER 5  Hatchback                                                                                                                                                Ball          :titelist-small:                 NXT Tour S                                                                                                                                      

That's a great course played it a few times

Sent from my SM-G930V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Yes, it is a very nice course. Better in July than January. But, golf is golf!!!!!

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Mid-Atlantic has had some mild temps, and with snow gone we have stolen a few rounds in January.  Biggest challenges other than those noted (hard greens, almost unplayable traps) is trying to get a tee in the frozen ground.  Sometimes the first 1/2 inch is fine, but "permafrost" below...  thinking about carrying a small powerdrill next time!!!

Tee in the ground for the first 6 or 7 holes was a disaster. Tried using my ball repair gadget. Thant didn't work. A small pocket screwdriver would have done the trick, maybe next time. Cold and a little snow in forecast for the immediate future, so may have to wait.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Blissful meadows usually open all winter

Sent from my SM-G930V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

They were open also, cart path only. Connecticut was walking only. Winter legs were tired.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

I haven't played Winnie in years....that used to be a staple in late February or March, when I was younger. Have heard thru the grape vine that the course has improved immensely since the early 80's. I remember leaving Central Mass with temps in the 30's and get to Westerly with thermometer reading 45 degrees. Not bad. Never accounted for the 15-20 mph winds coming off the Atlantic. I was never warm at Winnie!!!!!

The wind was brutal especially on that little par 3 that was ALWAYS into the wind.

Rick

Left Hand, 

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the New England forecast, for the next two weeks. No, snow storms in sight. Temps above average (mid 40's low 50's). Have Monday, President's Day off. Seriously thinking of maybe "scratching that itch again". If, and I plan to, I can golf in February, I would have golfed every month in New England, since last March. That has never happened before, for me.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...

President's Day didn't work out...4 inches of snow over weekend....yesterday 64 degrees...today 68 degrees...tee time at 12:48.......

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Saw this T shirt though it appropriate.IMG_1996.JPG

Rick

Left Hand, 

President's Day didn't work out...4 inches of snow over weekend....yesterday 64 degrees...today 68 degrees...tee time at 12:48.......

Anyone hitting up the Boston Golf Show this coming weekend? I'm going Saturday - PM me if you want to hook up...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Well, Mother Nature co-operated. One of the courses, I play in a league on Monday nights, opened. I played Raceway Golf Course, in Thompson CT. Last week, conditions were bayou wet. Yesterday, they were much better.....Still waiting on Dudley Hill, my home course, to get the covers off the greens. Guess I'm rushing it, Heavy rain and some snow, tomorrow. At least I checked one goals for the year. I wanted to play every month of the year, and I did. Quite a feat for New England. My next goal is to get into single digit handicap. Don't think that goal will be as easy. Happy Golfing to all !!!!!!!

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Made it out to Olde Scotland Links in Bridgewater Ma. On Feb 24 thIt was a little wet but can't complain about golfing in Feb. was 45 when we tee off . Anything before April 1here is bonus golf.

Agree, New England, Before April 1st=Bonus. Yesterday 12 inches of snow. Potential snowstorm Monday.  Its kind of like working 20 hours overtime, with visions of enormous paycheck. Payday comes, the eagle screams, and Uncle Sam increases his take and that enormous paycheck becomes a nice little tip. Oh well !!!!!!

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Agree, New England, Before April 1st=Bonus. Yesterday 12 inches of snow. Potential snowstorm Monday. Its kind of like working 20 hours overtime, with visions of enormous paycheck. Payday comes, the eagle screams, and Uncle Sam increases his take and that enormous paycheck becomes a nice little tip. Oh well !!!!!!

Don't forget the state income taxes!

Rick

Left Hand, 

DAMN!!!!!!!!  Another Northeaster on it's way. Calling for 12"-18" more....

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...

Well, to all you Spyers from New England. Looks like, we finally turned the corner. I predict most courses in southern New England, will be up and running in 2 weeks. Looks like Mother Nature and the Greenland Block have relented. Good luck boys and girls from New England.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Well, to all you Spyers from New England. Looks like, we finally turned the corner. I predict most courses in southern New England, will be up and running in 2 weeks. Looks like Mother Nature and the Greenland Block have relented. Good luck boys and girls from New England.

Hoping you're correct — I'm guessing about two, maybe 3 weeks before courses in our little corner of New Hampshire are open full time. Fingers crossed!~

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Now, I'm not in New England proper, but being in the snow belt of CNY I know your pain. I'm starting to see some grass though so I'm getting giddy with y'all. Think around 3 weeks out for most of the Northeast, gotta let it firm up a bit.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

Hoping you're correct — I'm guessing about two, maybe 3 weeks before courses in our little corner of New Hampshire are open full time. Fingers crossed!~

Just saw on Facebook to of my local haunts are opening up Wednesday. I'm sure the Granite State will be a week or two behind me. Love playing Bretwood, up in Keene. Used to play in a benefit Tournament up at Souhegan Woods, enjoyed that track also. Hope you get out soon !!!!!

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Archived