Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Callaway vs Titleist Ball War!

ole gray

I didn't win the driver/balls though :(

You can't say you didn't try to sway him, though! :thumbsup:

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Callaway sent me the new Chrome Soft X and I was not impressed. It felt good and was long but did not spin around the greens at all. I have a body that got some too and he said the same thing.

I haven't teied the new X yet, but played past years model and liked it, it didnt have nearly the spin as the CS, but I kind of like a little less spin, because I spin the snot off the CS in the summertime. The CS works well for me in the winter with the cooler temps and dormant greens, I need to spin the ball as much as I can on the greens because they get really hard sometimes. I saw the price tag on these went up a few dollars, so I will probably need to stock up on the previous models, or switch. With the new Snells coming out, I preordered the sample dozen and they are now making them in yellow., so I hopefully the Snells work out

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I really like Harry, but him retweeting people stating Titliest is wrong for having a ball that has "tour" in its name when it is not played on tour, when Callaway has a ball with tour in its name when it is not played on tour (Hex Diablo Tour),  does not look good.

I really like Harry, but him retweeting people stating Titliest is wrong for having a ball that has "tour" in its name when it is not played on tour, when Callaway has a ball with tour in its name when it is not played on tour (Hex Diablo Tour),  does not look good.

I agree with you there jlukes. In the case of both the Titleist & Hex Diablo balls, the word "tour" is merely used to describe the feel/performance of the golf ball.

Wait, the Hex Diablo Tour is a current model ball? I've haven't seen on the shelves since the Hex Chrome/Black (which is a favourite ball of mine). God, I miss that ball.

It's still bloody entertaining to see how this Twitter battle is going out, as Callaway & Titleist are 2 of my manufacturers and I love their products equally.

Driver: Cobra F9 Speedback (9.0) with Fujikura Atmos 7X (Avalanche White) 

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero (15 degrees) in Rogue Max 75g stiff shaft

Hybrid (not in play): Callaway Apex 20 degree with Kurokage 80g Stiff Shaft

Driving Iron: Wilson Staff Utility Iron 18 degree with KBS Hybrid Stiff shaft

Irons: Wilson Staff CB 4-PW in KBS 120 Stiff shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50; Callaway MD4 - 56; Vokey SM9 - 60

Putter: Taylormade Rossa CGB

Golf Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond 

I agree with you there jlukes. In the case of both the Titleist & Hex Diablo balls, the word "tour" is merely used to describe the feel/performance of the golf ball.

Wait, the Hex Diablo Tour is a current model ball? I've haven't seen on the shelves since the Hex Chrome/Black (which is a favourite ball of mine). God, I miss that ball.

It's still bloody entertaining to see how this Twitter battle is going out, as Callaway & Titleist are 2 of my manufacturers and I love their products equally.

Does it really describe performance though? A surlyn/ionomer ball with Tour in the name will not generate greenside spin like a true Urethane tour ball.

And yes, the Hex Diablo Tour is still for sale, exclusively at Dicks Sporting Goods and Golf Galaxy (owned by DSG) here in the US

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/callaway-diablo-tour-golf-balls-16cwym2016dbltrgbl/16cwym2016dbltrgbl?camp=CSE_DSG_pg29468_mk_PLA_454&gclid=CjwKCAiA78XTBRBiEiwAGv7EKvuEEXTshAajeAcBloddnsCJWHqz_lL_mCBQiqiSMb643rxviHURPRoCK4QQAvD_BwE

When I hear tour, all I see are $$. And a way to market. If the were called Tour Hard people would still buy them.

It's Tour Proven, Tour Preferred, JPX Tour, Tour Inspired, Tour Validated.

If it said Hack Proven, Hack Preferred, JPX Hack, Hacker Inspired, Hack Validated they wouldn't sell a single sleeve, club, whatever.

Tour Sells.

I did agree with one thing Tony said in that I think Titleist is subconsciously comparing their non-tour level ball to tour-level balls of other companies.

The subtle message is that, we wouldn't compare those balls to the Pro V1, because the ProV is on another level, and completely above all other balls. Not saying I agree, but I think that attitude is certainly prevalent at Acushnet HQ.

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

I haven't teied the new X yet, but played past years model and liked it, it didnt have nearly the spin as the CS, but I kind of like a little less spin, because I spin the snot off the CS in the summertime. The CS works well for me in the winter with the cooler temps and dormant greens, I need to spin the ball as much as I can on the greens because they get really hard sometimes. I saw the price tag on these went up a few dollars, so I will probably need to stock up on the previous models, or switch. With the new Snells coming out, I preordered the sample dozen and they are now making them in yellow., so I hopefully the Snells work out

I agree with the CS being crazy high spin. I had to stop playing them because I was pulling them back off the green. I haven't had that "problem" with any other ball and don't consider myself to be a high-spin player at all. I will say this about the CS though, it has been involved in my longest drives on the course. It's a great ball and I'm really tempted to try the X while they're still $31/doz at my local shop. I might wait until the new '18 model comes out to see if they drop it another couple of bucks though. I have so many Tour B XS and Vice Pro right now it's kinda silly to buy more balls.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I agree with the CS being crazy high spin. I had to stop playing them because I was pulling them back off the green. I haven't had that "problem" with any other ball and don't consider myself to be a high-spin player at all. I will say this about the CS though, it has been involved in my longest drives on the course. It's a great ball and I'm really tempted to try the X while they're still $31/doz at my local shop. I might wait until the new '18 model comes out to see if they drop it another couple of bucks though. I have so many Tour B XS and Vice Pro right now it's kinda silly to buy more balls.

Last years model of the CSX has a slightly harder feel, and less spin. I'd like to try the new ones, but 45 a dozen is a little too much than I want to spend. I've been able to get them for 31 for a while so and extra 14-15 bucks is too much. I'm just glad the Dean Snell had created the MTB in yellow. I just need to find out whether the black or red suits me a little better. I have a feeling that it will be the black for winter, and the red for summer but I will find out for sure in a month or so when the trial dozen comes in .

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I love Chrome Soft X... I definitely recommend it

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

Anyone notice the commercial is longer now? They squeezed in TP5 and RXS comparisons separate from the fine print.

For those keeping track at home, yes the Tour Soft is still leading in the distances and feels categories.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Archived