Regional Combined Introduction Threads Read more... ×
Spy Chat: The Hall of Fame for MGS Read more... ×
tony@CIC

Perfecting Your Golf Game

A UVA guy wrote a book entitled, "Golf Is Not a Game of Perfect".   I would not be shocked to see my picture on the cover.

Ben Hogan -  Golf is a game of misses.  The guy who misses the best is going to win.

It's all about managing your game to miss in the right spots.  I seem to do best when I play away from the bad miss.

• Like 3

Dr. Bob Rotella. Interesting read; also available as an audio book.

Related...

Saw Gerina Pillar being interviewed where she said about her philosophy towards golf:

"It's not about trying to get a perfect game ... it's about trying to make perfect what you already have."

I liked that! My primary overriding important key goal this season is to strengthen my mental game.

(whatever da heck that means..........)

You know with us old dudes there is only so much you can improve on at some point.  I mean physical issues takes some of those cool moves out of the equation.  If we improve our attitude about expectations and such we will enjoy our time out there much more.  Not cool is seeing an old fart getting all pissy about missing a downhill, sidehill, over water shot that would be a challenge for a young healthy scratch golfer. Lower expectations and raise fun level while keeping bloop pressure under check....  ;)

• Like 4

Spotswood at Golden Horseshoe? Or do they think too highly of themselves.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Completely forgot about them.  Looks like it is $17-$25 for 9.  

Completely forgot about them. Looks like it is $17-$25 for 9.

Still on the high side for a glorified par 3. When I was in school in the 'Burg, we used to truck on down to Deer Run to play the Cardinal for $5.

I'm lucky now... our TFT location has 3 hole pitch and putt course as part of our practice facility. You can practice just about any shot from 110 and in, especially if you're the only one out there. I've asked the super to pull up the tee markers, cut all the grass down to fairway-length, mark off safe teeing ZONES for each green and turn the place into a short-game park (there are some cool hills and slopes) for HORSE-style games.

They're thinking about it.

When I have small classes out there, I do this anyway.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I think my goal this year is to separate practice from playing golf.Work on drills with camera work as feedback.When it comes to playing golf trust what you worked on.And at the most use two key feels from the sessions on the course.Ive found that only keys I can honestly do when playing are a setup or backswing feel.The downswing happens way to fast for me to focus on a Feel.My scores seem to be very bad focusing on downswing

• Like 1

You know with us old dudes there is only so much you can improve on at some point. I mean physical issues takes some of those cool moves out of the equation. If we improve our attitude about expectations and such we will enjoy our time out there much more. Not cool is seeing an old fart getting all pissy about missing a downhill, sidehill, over water shot that would be a challenge for a young healthy scratch golfer. Lower expectations and raise fun level while keeping bloop pressure under check.... ;)

Also like to add to aim for middle of the greens and forget where the pin is.Only time I think pin is when I'm chipping or pitching within 50 yards.Ive saved so many shots playing conservative versus pin hunting.The risk and reward is fun in scrambles.
  • Like 3

Ok... for me I want to try and maintain good mental focus throughout the round. It's hard sometimes when everyone else seems to be yucking it up. (I also play a lot with a guy we call Mr. Negative) I don't want to look like a dick or anything by not joining in fun but loosing focus causes all sorts of problems. For me anyway. Secondly, I need to sharpen up my approaches from 150 and less. Focus and practice. Practice and focus.

Stay focused throughout the round, that's what I need to do. I have a nasty habit of having a nap somewhere in the middle of a round.

• Like 2

Ben Hogan - Golf is a game of misses. The guy who misses the best is going to win.

It's all about managing your game to miss in the right spots. I seem to do best when I play away from the bad miss.

"Avoid the big miss"

-- Hank Haney

(who wrote a book he titled "The Big Miss", mostly about his experiences coaching Tiger Woods)

• Like 1

You know with us old dudes there is only so much you can improve on at some point. I mean physical issues takes some of those cool moves out of the equation. If we improve our attitude about expectations and such we will enjoy our time out there much more. Not cool is seeing an old fart getting all pissy about missing a downhill, sidehill, over water shot that would be a challenge for a young healthy scratch golfer. Lower expectations and raise fun level while keeping bloop pressure under check.... ;)

Hey never give up! Us old guys can still hang!

But you are .. of course! .. right about improving one's outlook and attitude, and then enjoying your time on the course! Thx

• Like 2