TESTERS WANTED! ×

Its how you put your hands on the club not how you grip the club

I have been going over the basic fundamentals gearing up for the upcoming season and think I might have stumbled onto something. As I was going over my grip, which I have always thought was pretty sound I realized that I was just grabbing the club and manipulating my hands onto it until my grip felt good. Then I remembered a tip from Hogans 5 lessons about the two middle fingers of the right hand applying most of the pressure and the thumb and forefinger being "swing killers". I then rested the club in my left hand and as I was applying my right hand I started by applying the 2 middle fingers first and then the thumb and the for finger. This felt amazing and my thumb seemed to want to set on the left side of the grip in a perfect position. I proceeded to strike some shots and my swing feels so much better and contact was amazing. I used to put my thumb more down the shaft and would get a flying right elbow, steep plane and flip at the ball due to wanting to control the club with my thumb and fore finger. What do you guys think about not only having a good grip but applying that grip to the club in the same manner every time? Does it make a difference?

Thanks, Jason

Sticks:

Titleist 915D3 8.5 Graffaloy Pro Launch Red 65X

Titleist 915F Aldila NV 95 S Flex 3 Wood

Titleist 915H Aldila NV 105 S Flex 21 degree hybrid

Mizuno MP69 Dynamic Gold S300 Standard Length 2 up 3-PW

Cleveland RTX 54, Titleist SM4 48, Mizuno MP-T4 58

Odyssey 2 ball cs Superstroke 3.0 slim

Callaway Chrome Soft (2016)

I have been going over the basic fundamentals gearing up for the upcoming season and think I might have stumbled onto something. As I was going over my grip, which I have always thought was pretty sound I realized that I was just grabbing the club and manipulating my hands onto it until my grip felt good. Then I remembered a tip from Hogans 5 lessons about the two middle fingers of the right hand applying most of the pressure and the thumb and forefinger being "swing killers". I then rested the club in my left hand and as I was applying my right hand I started by applying the 2 middle fingers first and then the thumb and the for finger. This felt amazing and my thumb seemed to want to set on the left side of the grip in a perfect position. I proceeded to strike some shots and my swing feels so much better and contact was amazing. I used to put my thumb more down the shaft and would get a flying right elbow, steep plane and flip at the ball due to wanting to control the club with my thumb and fore finger. What do you guys think about not only having a good grip but applying that grip to the club in the same manner every time? Does it make a difference?

Thanks, Jason

Absolutely. The more variables you can eliminate, the better!

+1, use the Hogan/Seve style overlap grip. Although I did interlock in high school. Stopped in college because my hands grew, from working out. Tried double overlap, due to callous and pinky pain from interlock. Past 2 seasons, including this one, sticking with overlap. Could I which? Sure, but need a break in time. Sometimes I interlock at address to make sure hands are proper setup, then implement overlap. But to each their own hand positions more important than how you grip the club.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

WITB 2021
Driver: Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 9* w/ C.Kua Stiff

FW: Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 15* w/ C.Kua Stiff

HY: Cleveland Launcher Halo 19* w/ C.Kua Stiff 

Irons: Titleist 716 AP1 4-PW w/ KBS 90 Stiff

Wedges: Vokey SM8 50*, 54*, & 60^

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Laguna 2 OR OG Futura

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1/V1x OR Chrome Soft TT

Bag: Sun Mountain 2019 4.5 14way carry

Clothes: Nike OR Under Armour 

I'm a full-fingered guy. (not to be confused with a full-figured gal) Gave up the overlap several years ago and played better every since.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Been using Hogan grip for a long time now. To get comfortable with the grip change, I'd practice it with a club watching tv or when doing nothing else. So my grip stays the same throughout swing

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

my grip crazy strong - works for me

Bags

Fellas and Ladies,

I feel like I need to elaborate on this a little more because I truly believe it could help lots of people. With one simple move of the right thumb to the left side of the grip when gripping the golf club I think that I have remedied these swing flaws. Please keep in mind this is for a right handed golfer. Lefties, just flip everything around, it is all relative.

1. A rolling of the hands open in the take away.

- When the right hand is to involved via the thumb and for finger I tend to roll my hands open right from the start of my take away. Since I have been gripping the club correctly this has stopped.

2. A disconnected right hand when my wrists start to cock.

- With the thumb down the shaft I absolutely get disconnected with my grip as my wrists start to cock. This has stopped.

3. A flying elbow, steepened plain and loss of width due to my right hand fighting my left while trying to finish my back swing.

- Simply put the right elbow cannot keep from getting deep when the right hand is battling the club from setting correctly.

So, as a result in the back swing we come up with a flying right elbow, steep plane and less width. Not good, not good at all.

Downswing:

1. Due to the steepened plane that has been set better players will compensate by dropping the right elbow back in which in most cases results in an open club face and inside delivery resulting in a high week push fade. Not optimal to say the least.

2. Casting of the club due to the right hand taking over is almost inevitable. Scooping and very week iron shots will happen. There will also be the tendency to hit it fat or thin depending on the timing of the early release. 

3. If one gets lucky and makes the right compensation and times everything right a descent strike is possible but almost always to much spin will be added to drives and irons will lack compression and that oh so sweet penetrating powerful ball flight that we all seek.

Pitching and Chipping:

If the right hand is to involved which the placement of the right thumb on the shaft makes happen (at least for me) pitching and chipping will be hit and miss depending on how well a player can time the scoop of the right hand at impact.

This one move (right thumb to the left of the shaft) and making sure that I am putting most of the pressure on the shaft with my two middle fingers has enabled me to strike the ball like I know I am capable of consistently.

I will close this by saying that I stumbled upon this by swinging in ultra slow motion with my eyes closed so that I could feel everything that was happening with my swing. This is by far the best way to figure out your faults in my opinion.

I sincerely hope this helps at least one person to feel the light bulb come on so to say as I did.

Happy Strikes to everyone!!!!!

Sticks:

Thanks, Jason

I tried this today and it felt really good plus I hit several quality shots with it.  I'm thinking this grip tip might be something I incorporate into my setup. Thanks!

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I tried this today and it felt really good plus I hit several quality shots with it. I'm thinking this grip tip might be something I incorporate into my setup. Thanks!

Your Welcome ole grey. The best part about it is that from my experience it just keeps getting better!!!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Sticks:

Archived