TESTERS WANTED! ×

Being a golfer and in a relationship (woe is me stories)

Gg Owen

My second wife is a keeper...she doesn't care how much golf I play as long as I don't wake her when I leave in the morning!

Seriously, she's great with my golf but I know enough to make sure I'm available for something that is important to her, and if I manage to win a couple of presses during the round, I'll take her out to dinner!!

Jim, The retired GC Super

Preserving the wife's sleep is key for me. I'm out of bed like a (middle-aged, 230 lb, uh) cat. Clothes and go-bag prepped the night before.

<p>In my bag: Ping G LS Tec 9* Tour 65 Stiff, Cobra F8 3-4 wood HZRDUS Yellow 6.0, Calloway 21* X Forged Utility iron (steel stiff), Ping G30 white dot 4-9 Stiff 110 gm KBS tours  Scor 48,52,56,60 Wedges, Nike Method Core MC3</p><p>

It's not too bad, if you must Golf then you'll find the way. I wake my behind up so early and get things done. My wife golfs so it's not as bad and my excuse has always been I'm gettin' my game ready for my 4 year old daughter. Plus, I've been busy with my other project and have not Golf or practice in a few weeks and it starts to show, I'm a bit irritable, the other day my wife said to me “hon, why don't you get up a little earlier and squeeze in a round”

What ruins the relationship is when your spouse is that much better than you, in college my ex was a scratch when I was a 14hc, that's why she's my ex. :). Hold your horses! I'm just kidding. I thought it was sexy as hell, she could beat me in her sleep. I came closed on one round, I sank everything and hit every fairways, almost, and she seemed to miss every first and some second putts she shot 80 to my 83, if memory served me right. That was the last 80 she ever had in my presence.

HH6 has always been supportive of my addiction- she allows the occasional guy trips (usually 2 a year) as long as she gets her scuba fix (usually 2 trips to warm weather areas) every year- we have not figured out how to do a combined trip yet... but still looking.  She accompanied me on my first big golf trip (Scotland in 2010) and she loved it, actually spent some time with another wife on the trip, went on hikes, actually went canoeing on Lac Lohman, all in all a great trip, and has given me the green light ever since.

I think she likes a few hours of personal time on the weekends, so that works well, too.  we still have plenty of time for couple stuff, and I make sure there are some nice things that she likes to do worked into the weekends on several times a year, too.

No kids, so no issue there.  It is, as many have said, a very good, understanding and loving relationship!  For that I am thankful!

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

HH6 has always been supportive of my addiction- she allows the occasional guy trips (usually 2 a year) as long as she gets her scuba fix (usually 2 trips to warm weather areas) every year- we have not figured out how to do a combined trip yet... but still looking. She accompanied me on my first big golf trip (Scotland in 2010) and she loved it, actually spent some time with another wife on the trip, went on hikes, actually went canoeing on Lac Lohman, all in all a great trip, and has given me the green light ever since.

I think she likes a few hours of personal time on the weekends, so that works well, too. we still have plenty of time for couple stuff, and I make sure there are some nice things that she likes to do worked into the weekends on several times a year, too.

No kids, so no issue there. It is, as many have said, a very good, understanding and loving relationship! For that I am thankful!

Your very fortunate!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

We've been together 23 years  and it's not a major issue at all.  She doesn't put any limitations on when or how much I play (I think there was one time in the 23 years when I mentioned I was going to play on a particular weekend, and she said, she'd rather I not that weekend.  Something to do about an anniversary  :huh: 

And as as result, I try to keep in mind not to take advantage of her not minding and I don't play every weekend.  I'm fortunate that my job is at a course, so I can get some rounds in before, after and yes during work  :P  so I am able to keep a lot of weekends free now, if I'm not working.   But it's still a time to play with some of my buddies who can't make it during the week.   We don't have any set rules or restrictions, we just make it work by keeping each others considerations in mind.    if I'm playing on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon, her only request usually is that I pick up take out on the way home.  Easy!!  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Reminds me of this.

Husband: I'm going to play golf tomorrow at the club.

Wife: That's the 3rd time this week you will have played.

Husband:  So, what's the point?

Wife: I think you are spending too much time at the club and not enough time with me.

Husband:  You are starting to sound a lot like my ex wife!!

Wife:  You didn't tell me you were married before.

Husband: I wasn't !!!

I've never had much trouble getting "permission " to play. I started playing most Saturdays before kids came along, so it was an established routine. When my first daughter was about6 months old I changed my shifts so I could look after her when my wife went back to work 2 days/week. This meant I still got to spend time with her and play.

As the kids got older, the oldest started playing, so that made things easier for me to play once she was up to playing 18.

If we've got something important I miss a game. Sometimes I'll opt out of playing if the weekly competition doesn't interest me, I tend to act like it's so I can spend time with my wife, keeps me in the good books.

My wife is keen to get playing, has had some lessons. Now the challenge of getting out on the course is next. Hopefully she'll persist, looking forward to playing with her when we retire (might it a once a week limit on it)

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Preserving the wife's sleep is key for me. I'm out of bed like a (middle-aged, 230 lb, uh) cat. Clothes and go-bag prepped the night before.

Rich - let's try to meet up again this Summer, if your schedule allows. I promise not to suck as bad! .. Chuck

(Oh, PS: just picked up Sieckmann's book!)

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Last night my wife told me she was planning a Cali vacation for the family.....including three days at Pebble for me and my son. Now that is a good wife.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

I think as long as you don't go overboard and make golf your life you should be ok.Non children a round or two a week fine.Children maybe a round or two a month.That is more than fair.And both scenarios lead to building a healthy relationship.. which requires dedication as much as fixing a slice

One more thing.When the kids are young try and avoid playing the high end courses.Stick to middle of the road-munis.Kids can be very expensive.And maybe wait to buy that custom set until the kids get a little older. Hard to enjoy the new clubs only playing sporadically

Keep it in the short stuff

Another lucky husband here. My wife knew what she was getting into by marrying a golfer. When we first married, I hardly played because we had no money. It's ebbed and flowed with kids being born, then getting older and into the game. I do wish my wife would play. We all keep trying to get her into it.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I'm pretty fortunate in that we both took up the game at the same time. She is very interested in the game even though she's a high handicapper and generally only plays 9. What helps is that she's part of the women's golf league so there's also a social part to the game for her.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

• 3 weeks later...

Never had a relationship where it was a issue. Just ended a 3 year relationship where we loved to golf together. I basically gave uo golf from 2005 until 2017 as I was raising my daughter on my own and really didnt have the funds or time. I am back with venegance and really a much better golfer at 50 then I was before the break.

Shopping for a new date and really hope to find a golfer.

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

I paid for my wife's 2018 GHIN handicap fee yesterday at our course.  She plays in a ton of tournaments each year so that is a must.  I don't play tournament golf anymore so it's funny that I'm supporting my significant other as the man of the house in the golfing world. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

• 2 years later...

Yeah I agree, sometimes it helps you with the whole let me meet my future soulmate type of thing. I met my partner online and it was honestly one of the best things that happened to me. I love people who are more open minded (I mean I do live in Canada/US ) so I am in contact with people who are more accepting of me and my identity as a person and as a sexual being. I was scared a first since it's a huge sin in our religion but I learned in my years of self-discovery and travel that I am allowed to be who I want to be. I am currently in a happy relationship with my partner and I wish you all the same in the new year.

__________________________________________________ ____________________
Check the link here: https://findleapp.com/destination/mexico/

My wife and I took up golf because I kept on kicking her a** in tennis (I was on the tennis team in middle and high school).  She couldn't understand why I didn't just return the ball to her all the time 🤦‍♂️...so, since her brother golfed, we decided to try it.  It didn't matter that I shot something like 146 that first time out, or that I had to rent a set of lefty clubs that seemed like they were made in the 1930's, or that the baby blue head of the driver was the size of a 9 wood - it was that first pure strike right down the center of the fairway on hole 1 (after getting like 2 mulligans - didn't even know what that was at the time), that's what hooked me.  My wife, saw it as a rolling happy hour.  Two different approaches to the game.  She plays but not seriously.  More for the social aspect and the drinking on the course.  I take it a lot more seriously, LOL.  There have been times in our relationship where she asked me to cut back on golf (I was golfing every weekend at one point and a day or two during the weekday), only because of the time requirements for golf.  With the kids being born, golfing because a tertiary activity.  Now that they are older, the time has freed up a bit so more golfing for me.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

13 minutes ago, MDGolfHacker said:

My wife and I took up golf because I kept on kicking her a** in tennis (I was on the tennis team in middle and high school).  She couldn't understand why I didn't just return the ball to her all the time 🤦‍♂️...so, since her brother golfed, we decided to try it.  It didn't matter that I shot something like 146 that first time out, or that I had to rent a set of lefty clubs that seemed like they were made in the 1930's, or that the baby blue head of the driver was the size of a 9 wood - it was that first pure strike right down the center of the fairway on hole 1 (after getting like 2 mulligans - didn't even know what that was at the time), that's what hooked me.  My wife, saw it as a rolling happy hour.  Two different approaches to the game.  She plays but not seriously.  More for the social aspect and the drinking on the course.  I take it a lot more seriously, LOL.  There have been times in our relationship where she asked me to cut back on golf (I was golfing every weekend at one point and a day or two during the weekday), only because of the time requirements for golf.  With the kids being born, golfing because a tertiary activity.  Now that they are older, the time has freed up a bit so more golfing for me.

MDGolfHacker

Bold Copy and Pasted for future reference 😉

22 minutes ago, MDGolfHacker said:

My wife, saw it as a rolling happy hour. 

Love it .. she's one of those golfers with a high Gallons-per-Mile ratio ... 😅 😂 🤣

My wife likes to play and likes to pretend she doesn't take it seriously, but .. I do hear a few "ohhh, Lisa!"s coming from her once in a while during a round. And then we go have a round 🍷🍻

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

35 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Bold Copy and Pasted for future reference 😉

Never thought I'd see the day that my wife tells me, "why don't you go golf...oh, and take the kids with you."

• In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

My wife supports my golf habit 1000% percent, I was actually going to not golf as much this summer but she and the kids bought me my membership for Christmas this year.
We both enjoy spending time together but we also have our own activities that we enjoy and support each other in doing.
We are a blended family and I think nothing of keeping her/our kids for a weekend so she can go to something she wants to do and vice versa.

We both work stressful jobs and both understand that these events and activities help keep us sane and happy.

DRIVER -  Ping G425 SFT Driver Tensei AV 55 Orange Reg Flex 

Woods -  Ping G425 7 wood  Tensei AV 65 Orange Reg Flex 

Irons - Cobra Rad Speed 1 Length UST Recoil 780 Smacwrap Graphite Reg Flex 

WEDGES-  Callaway jaws 52/56/60

PUTTER-  Taylormade FCG spider putter 34" 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

My wife likes to play and likes to pretend she doesn't take it seriously, but .. I do hear a few "ohhh, Lisa!"s coming from her once in a while during a round.

That's funny. My wife says she's not competitive but is constantly comparing her scores to previous rounds and I do occasionally hear Oh Kat!

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

My wife and I have no other significant activities except golf, which is extremely difficult for both of us now that we are "locked down" in the Stay Home order.  She grew up in a golfing family and has been playing since 1963.  Her dad was scratch and club champion at 3 country clubs in the Spokane area.  Her mom played; her 5 older brothers and an older sister played.  I started playing in earnest in 1992, and we met on a golf course in 2000.  I proposed to her on the 1st tee and we got married on the 1st tee a year later in 2007.  OMG!  Our anniversary is coming up in 2 weeks and we can't play golf.  What will we do??

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

10 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Our anniversary is coming up in 2 weeks and we can't play golf. What will we do??

Kenny, you're just going to have to man up and do what married slobs all over the world do once a year on that "special" date - look her tenderly in the eyes and .. and .. ask her about her .. *gulp* .. feelings .. and then .. listen to her and .. yep .. respond back with something good........

I promise it'll all be over fairly quickly and you won't feel too much pain. 😉

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

21 hours ago, Jbmullin said:

My wife supports my golf habit 1000% percent

Same here and that includes my fly fishing jones (which is actually worse 🤪).  She's dabbled with both, enjoys them, but neither really stuck.  She watched me trade a boatload of time not doing either for a career and supports my wanting to get some of that back. 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I’m pretty lucky when it comes to this topic. My wife comes from a golf family. She has practically been playing her whole life and she’s really good. But we are in the stage now where we have two young kids and one on the way so she has been unable or hasn’t really had the drive to want to get out and play. 
But she knows how much I love it and let’s me get out to practice or play as much as I want and never says anything about it. I just ask if she cares, and the answer 99.9% of the time is, no not at all. She says she knows what it takes to get better, so I should practice. I think that’s amazing. 
With that said, I still make it a point to not abuse that. I don’t go play a round every day. I try to go play maybe once a week and go practice every day but not stay gone too long. Keep it down to about and hour to an hour and a half and it’s usually during out kids nap time...

Edited by MALyons31

Elizabeth City, North Carolina

Right Handed

Handicap: 18

Driver: Taylor Made Sim MAX D-type 9.5 / VA composites Vylyn Shaft 65G Stiff

Irons: Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metals / KBS C-Taper Shafts Regular

Kenny, you're just going to have to man up and do what married slobs all over the world do once a year on that "special" date - look her tenderly in the eyes and .. and .. ask her about her .. *gulp* .. feelings .. and then .. listen to her and .. yep .. respond back with something good........
I promise it'll all be over fairly quickly and you won't feel too much pain.

Too funny especially the last part. What you didn't tell Kenny is that once you do it she'll expect it on a regular basis

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

13 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

Too funny especially the last part. What you didn't tell Kenny is that once you do it she'll expect it on a regular basis emoji16.png

Ha, thx. Kenny knows I was just trying to do a little virtual trash talking .. we were actually supposed to meet and play golf around that weekend of April 3-6 so I didn't get a chance on the course......

Anyway, @Kenny B happy almost anniversary and I hope you've come up with a good idea for the day (other than hitting golf balls into the net in your garage 🤪)

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

On 4/4/2020 at 6:36 AM, cksurfdude said:

I promise it'll all be over fairly quickly and you won't feel too much pain. 😉

Nope! That's not how it happens for us.  She was raised in a golfing family and had 5 older brothers.  Her sister came along after the boys and her father got her a coonskin cap and a six shooter.  She said it was like growing up in a terrorist camp for practical jokers.  She has always played golf with "the guys" at my old club, and when we moved to our current club she asked the pro if she could play in the Men's Club gangsome.  She said she didn't want to stop at the turn and do her nails.  He said to wait a few weeks while they watch you play.  In the meantime she played with the Ladies and there is a reason the pro puts them out ahead of the Men.  They play fast!!

My wife has always been more comfortable hanging out with guys, and doesn't do the "feelings" stuff very well.  Besides, I know she would say "Let's go play golf!"  So I should respond, "OK, golf trip!"

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”