ole gray

Tinnitus

Being an old vietnam vet I've had to deal with ringing in my ears for years.  War is hell on the ears with gun fire and loud explosions to deal with on a constant basis. Some days my tinnitus is worse than others.  It spikes and at times the ringing noise in my head is overwhelming.  I just heard recently that magnesium helps so I'm going to check with my doc to see if she can recommend a daily dose. I'm pretty sure hard liquor causes mine to spike and beer actually helps to soothe the ring.  Not sure why one seems to help and the other aggravates it. I had some bourbon a couple days ago and the ringing spiked up to a 7 out of 10 type range.  I'm trying to keep a mental note of foods etc. that cause spikes.  The good news is golf is great for tinnitus as the time I spend on the course helps me forget the ringing.  Also my four days per week at the gym is another time where my focus on exercise helps a ton. Anyone else living with this and if so how do you deal with it? 

• Like 6

I'm with you here OG. I've found that caffeine is the number 1 issue I have. Not sure if you are a coffee/tea/soda drinker, but I cut back and mine isn't so bad. Still annoying.

• Like 3

YEP- for exactly the same reasons- never wore earplugs, as I was the one who was supposed to be in charge, and if I cant hear what is going on, then how could I make decisions and lead... 

Couple that with lots of time in helicopters (amazing how they could always manage to fly us to where we were going, but never back again!!) and other various noisy aircraft, etc.

Two Combat tours in Iraq didn't help, either, but I am sure it was the combined effect of loud noises over 30 years that left me with my tinnitus.  Interestingly, it is not ringing, per se, but rather like static- as if the television is on, but there is no signal on the channel and all you see is the "snow" -and hear that static buzz.

I find that keeping hydrated (lots of water - pardon the description, but if your pee is yellow, you are dehydrated) helps a lot. Also, when I am tired or overworked it tends to be more bothersome.  Personally, alcohol doesn't seem to bother it save for the fact that alcohol is a diuretic, and therefore you may end up dehydrated... 

Not sure about the magnesium as a treatment, but I will ask HH6 - she is a pharmacist and also suffers from tinnitus, more from loud music in headphones from her youth, but effect is the same.  Will let you know what she says...

• Like 3

I'm with you here OG. I've found that caffeine is the number 1 issue I have. Not sure if you are a coffee/tea/soda drinker, but I cut back and mine isn't so bad. Still annoying.

Diuretics all- I have reduced my coffee to a few cups in the morning at work, and almost none on the weekends...  Helps!

• Like 3

I hate the noise I only get it in one ear not the other. This is one of the reasons I spent money on custom molded hearing amplification for dog training, then my dog ate them. I think mine is from all the gun fire, loud concerts, kick boxing and getting hit in the head playing hockey. Sometimes I get it worse than others and when it's bad it truly hurts.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I have it in both ears - just learned to live with it. Some days better than other. What is interesting is that when I'm involved with something like golf I don't notice it. Is it because it's not there or I'm thinking about something else - don't know.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

YEP- for exactly the same reasons- never wore earplugs, as I was the one who was supposed to be in charge, and if I cant hear what is going on, then how could I make decisions and lead...

Couple that with lots of time in helicopters (amazing how they could always manage to fly us to where we were going, but never back again!!) and other various noisy aircraft, etc.

Two Combat tours in Iraq didn't help, either, but I am sure it was the combined effect of loud noises over 30 years that left me with my tinnitus. Interestingly, it is not ringing, per se, but rather like static- as if the television is on, but there is no signal on the channel and all you see is the "snow" -and hear that static buzz.

I find that keeping hydrated (lots of water - pardon the description, but if your pee is yellow, you are dehydrated) helps a lot. Also, when I am tired or overworked it tends to be more bothersome. Personally, alcohol doesn't seem to bother it save for the fact that alcohol is a diuretic, and therefore you may end up dehydrated...

Not sure about the magnesium as a treatment, but I will ask HH6 - she is a pharmacist and also suffers from tinnitus, more from loud music in headphones from her youth, but effect is the same. Will let you know what she says...

Brother from another Mother! Thanks for the info and looking forward to your friend's take on magnesium.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 4

I suffered from Meniere's disease when I was younger and lost 90% of the hearing in my left ear. I have had tinnitus ever since but at least the severe vertigo and nausea subsided, although I still experience an occasional return of those conditions...happens a few times every year.  

The 'screaming noise' in my ear definitely spikes at times, (as others have mentioned), but I have given up trying to manage it by limiting salt, caffeine etc.  I just try to block it out mentally which I acknowledge is very difficult when you are trying to go to sleep with no sound other than that constant 'scream' in my left ear.  

Tinnitus is a nuisance for sure, but there are far worse things that other people out there have to deal with, so when I put it into that sort of perspective I actually consider myself very lucky.  I've learned to live with it and simply refuse to allow myself to dwell on it much, for if I did, it could drive me stark-raving crazy... :unsure:

• Like 4

As a rule, I drink on cup of joe in the morning.  On rare occasions I may have a second cup of the decaf stuff in the evening.   I'm pretty sure my tinnitus is coming from very loud sound exposure which damaged some nerves in the ear or brain area. Unless those nerves have a way to heal  I'm probably screwed unless a miracle cure is discovered.   

• Like 3

As a rule, I drink on cup of joe in the morning. On rare occasions I may have a second cup of the decaf stuff in the evening. I'm pretty sure my tinnitus is coming from very loud sound exposure which damaged some nerves in the ear or brain area. Unless those nerves have a way to heal I'm probably screwed unless a miracle cure is discovered.

Got it. Mine is from listening to 2 screaming Diesel engines for hours on end. Even with double hearing protection.

• Like 4

I have it. 40 years of working in cabinet shops with table saws, jointers, planers, routers, etc... I just live with it. I leave the TV on all night so there is some background noise.

• Like 4

I know it makes it worse, but you could do this  :D

• Like 1

I've had it for about 5 years. Most of the time its not that big an issue, but when it gets quiet I really notice it. There are times where I get a spike and the volume level goes way up, but it only lasts for a few seconds.

My doctor suggested keeping a radio on during the day and a white noise machine in my bedroom at night. The noise machine has been a huge help when the house gets quiet at night and I'm trying to fall asleep.

There is no cure for it I'm afraid and all those OTC products claiming that they do have never shown any clinical benefit. I've never heard that foods can exacerbate the condition, but if it works for you to avoid them that's great. I am never giving up my 2-cups of coffee in the morning, no way, no how!

• Like 5

I've had it for about 5 years. Most of the time its not that big an issue, but when it gets quiet I really notice it. There are times where I get a spike and the volume level goes way up, but it only lasts for a few seconds.

My doctor suggested keeping a radio on during the day and a white noise machine in my bedroom at night. The noise machine has been a huge help when the house gets quiet at night and I'm trying to fall asleep.

There is no cure for it I'm afraid and all those OTC products claiming that they do have never shown any clinical benefit. I've never heard that foods can exacerbate the condition, but if it works for you to avoid them that's great. I am never giving up my 2-cups of coffee in the morning, no way, no how!

The VA gave me a sound machine that I've used. Sounds like ocean waves, rain on tin roof, creek flowing over pebbles etc.

I'll let you guys know how that magnesium stuff works.

• Like 5

I get it in my left ear.  I don't have it all the time--a loud noise will set it off.  Unfortunately, occasionally the sound of a drive will set it off.  I'll walk off the tee with my ear ringing, but I know I had good contact.  

It was worse with my old driver.  I switched to new driver with a more muted sound at impact and it hasn't been as big a problem.  

• Like 2

I get it in my left ear.  I don't have it all the time--a loud noise will set it off.  Unfortunately, occasionally the sound of a drive will set it off.  I'll walk off the tee with my ear ringing, but I know I had good contact.  

It was worse with my old driver.  I switched to new driver with a more muted sound at impact and it hasn't been as big a problem.  

At least yours is an on/off type thing.  Mine is 24/7 on with most of the time being moderate with spikes in the 7 out of 10 range.  

• Like 1

At least yours is an on/off type thing. Mine is 24/7 on with most of the time being moderate with spikes in the 7 out of 10 range.

I get those spikes too. Almost takes me to the ground. You're not alone OG.

• Like 2

I get those spikes too. Almost takes me to the ground. You're not alone OG.

I recently joined a tinnitus forum which has some awesome info .   For those interested check it out here:  https://www.tinnitustalk.com/

I'm ole gray on that forum too  ;)

• Like 3

Brother from another Mother! Thanks for the info and looking forward to your friend's take on magnesium.

Really hope things get better for you.   OBTW: A household 6 or HH6 is the wife.

• Like 1

First thank you for your service and welcome home. I was in Danang 1967-1968. I'm no help on the ringing. I have it to. Check the VA you might get compensation for it. I'm in Montana and can't golf yet. Damn it

• Like 5