TESTERS WANTED! ×

Tinnitus

ole gray

Being an old vietnam vet I've had to deal with ringing in my ears for years.  War is hell on the ears with gun fire and loud explosions to deal with on a constant basis. Some days my tinnitus is worse than others.  It spikes and at times the ringing noise in my head is overwhelming.  I just heard recently that magnesium helps so I'm going to check with my doc to see if she can recommend a daily dose. I'm pretty sure hard liquor causes mine to spike and beer actually helps to soothe the ring.  Not sure why one seems to help and the other aggravates it. I had some bourbon a couple days ago and the ringing spiked up to a 7 out of 10 type range.  I'm trying to keep a mental note of foods etc. that cause spikes.  The good news is golf is great for tinnitus as the time I spend on the course helps me forget the ringing.  Also my four days per week at the gym is another time where my focus on exercise helps a ton. Anyone else living with this and if so how do you deal with it? 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

YEP- for exactly the same reasons- never wore earplugs, as I was the one who was supposed to be in charge, and if I cant hear what is going on, then how could I make decisions and lead... 

Couple that with lots of time in helicopters (amazing how they could always manage to fly us to where we were going, but never back again!!) and other various noisy aircraft, etc.

Two Combat tours in Iraq didn't help, either, but I am sure it was the combined effect of loud noises over 30 years that left me with my tinnitus.  Interestingly, it is not ringing, per se, but rather like static- as if the television is on, but there is no signal on the channel and all you see is the "snow" -and hear that static buzz.

I find that keeping hydrated (lots of water - pardon the description, but if your pee is yellow, you are dehydrated) helps a lot. Also, when I am tired or overworked it tends to be more bothersome.  Personally, alcohol doesn't seem to bother it save for the fact that alcohol is a diuretic, and therefore you may end up dehydrated... 

Not sure about the magnesium as a treatment, but I will ask HH6 - she is a pharmacist and also suffers from tinnitus, more from loud music in headphones from her youth, but effect is the same.  Will let you know what she says...

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

I'm with you here OG. I've found that caffeine is the number 1 issue I have. Not sure if you are a coffee/tea/soda drinker, but I cut back and mine isn't so bad. Still annoying.

Diuretics all- I have reduced my coffee to a few cups in the morning at work, and almost none on the weekends...  Helps!

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

I hate the noise I only get it in one ear not the other. This is one of the reasons I spent money on custom molded hearing amplification for dog training, then my dog ate them. I think mine is from all the gun fire, loud concerts, kick boxing and getting hit in the head playing hockey. Sometimes I get it worse than others and when it's bad it truly hurts.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have it in both ears - just learned to live with it. Some days better than other. What is interesting is that when I'm involved with something like golf I don't notice it. Is it because it's not there or I'm thinking about something else - don't know.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

YEP- for exactly the same reasons- never wore earplugs, as I was the one who was supposed to be in charge, and if I cant hear what is going on, then how could I make decisions and lead...

Couple that with lots of time in helicopters (amazing how they could always manage to fly us to where we were going, but never back again!!) and other various noisy aircraft, etc.

Two Combat tours in Iraq didn't help, either, but I am sure it was the combined effect of loud noises over 30 years that left me with my tinnitus. Interestingly, it is not ringing, per se, but rather like static- as if the television is on, but there is no signal on the channel and all you see is the "snow" -and hear that static buzz.

I find that keeping hydrated (lots of water - pardon the description, but if your pee is yellow, you are dehydrated) helps a lot. Also, when I am tired or overworked it tends to be more bothersome. Personally, alcohol doesn't seem to bother it save for the fact that alcohol is a diuretic, and therefore you may end up dehydrated...

Not sure about the magnesium as a treatment, but I will ask HH6 - she is a pharmacist and also suffers from tinnitus, more from loud music in headphones from her youth, but effect is the same. Will let you know what she says...

Brother from another Mother! Thanks for the info and looking forward to your friend's take on magnesium.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Cleveland

I suffered from Meniere's disease when I was younger and lost 90% of the hearing in my left ear. I have had tinnitus ever since but at least the severe vertigo and nausea subsided, although I still experience an occasional return of those conditions...happens a few times every year.  

The 'screaming noise' in my ear definitely spikes at times, (as others have mentioned), but I have given up trying to manage it by limiting salt, caffeine etc.  I just try to block it out mentally which I acknowledge is very difficult when you are trying to go to sleep with no sound other than that constant 'scream' in my left ear.  

Tinnitus is a nuisance for sure, but there are far worse things that other people out there have to deal with, so when I put it into that sort of perspective I actually consider myself very lucky.  I've learned to live with it and simply refuse to allow myself to dwell on it much, for if I did, it could drive me stark-raving crazy... :unsure:

What's in Bobcat's Bag?  (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)

Driver: :taylormade-small: 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s, (1/2" tip)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Tour issue 15* V-Steel 3W - Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff

Fairway/Hybrid: :taylormade-small: 15* Rescue Fairway "3-Strong" - VP-90 Stiff 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: #3 (19*) & #4 (22*) Rescue-Mid TP's - Vista Pro 90 Stiff 

Driving Irons: :taylormade-small: UDI #1 (16*) & #3 (20*) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff

Iron Set: :taylormade-small: SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff

Hybrid Wedges: :cleveland-small: 2011 Niblicks 42*PW, 49*DW, 56*SW - Stock

SW/LW: :cleveland-small: CG-16 Black Pearl 58* Low Bounce 8* - Stock Steel Shaft

Putter: :bettinardi-small: BBX-81 Blade - Stock Bettinardi Steel Shaft 

I'm with you here OG. I've found that caffeine is the number 1 issue I have. Not sure if you are a coffee/tea/soda drinker, but I cut back and mine isn't so bad. Still annoying.

As a rule, I drink on cup of joe in the morning.  On rare occasions I may have a second cup of the decaf stuff in the evening.   I'm pretty sure my tinnitus is coming from very loud sound exposure which damaged some nerves in the ear or brain area. Unless those nerves have a way to heal  I'm probably screwed unless a miracle cure is discovered.   

Cleveland

As a rule, I drink on cup of joe in the morning. On rare occasions I may have a second cup of the decaf stuff in the evening. I'm pretty sure my tinnitus is coming from very loud sound exposure which damaged some nerves in the ear or brain area. Unless those nerves have a way to heal I'm probably screwed unless a miracle cure is discovered.

Got it. Mine is from listening to 2 screaming Diesel engines for hours on end. Even with double hearing protection.

I know it makes it worse, but you could do this  :D

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I've had it for about 5 years. Most of the time its not that big an issue, but when it gets quiet I really notice it. There are times where I get a spike and the volume level goes way up, but it only lasts for a few seconds.

My doctor suggested keeping a radio on during the day and a white noise machine in my bedroom at night. The noise machine has been a huge help when the house gets quiet at night and I'm trying to fall asleep.

There is no cure for it I'm afraid and all those OTC products claiming that they do have never shown any clinical benefit. I've never heard that foods can exacerbate the condition, but if it works for you to avoid them that's great. I am never giving up my 2-cups of coffee in the morning, no way, no how!

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

I've had it for about 5 years. Most of the time its not that big an issue, but when it gets quiet I really notice it. There are times where I get a spike and the volume level goes way up, but it only lasts for a few seconds.

My doctor suggested keeping a radio on during the day and a white noise machine in my bedroom at night. The noise machine has been a huge help when the house gets quiet at night and I'm trying to fall asleep.

There is no cure for it I'm afraid and all those OTC products claiming that they do have never shown any clinical benefit. I've never heard that foods can exacerbate the condition, but if it works for you to avoid them that's great. I am never giving up my 2-cups of coffee in the morning, no way, no how!

The VA gave me a sound machine that I've used. Sounds like ocean waves, rain on tin roof, creek flowing over pebbles etc.

I'll let you guys know how that magnesium stuff works.

Cleveland

I get it in my left ear.  I don't have it all the time--a loud noise will set it off.  Unfortunately, occasionally the sound of a drive will set it off.  I'll walk off the tee with my ear ringing, but I know I had good contact.  

It was worse with my old driver.  I switched to new driver with a more muted sound at impact and it hasn't been as big a problem.  

I get it in my left ear.  I don't have it all the time--a loud noise will set it off.  Unfortunately, occasionally the sound of a drive will set it off.  I'll walk off the tee with my ear ringing, but I know I had good contact.  

It was worse with my old driver.  I switched to new driver with a more muted sound at impact and it hasn't been as big a problem.  

At least yours is an on/off type thing.  Mine is 24/7 on with most of the time being moderate with spikes in the 7 out of 10 range.  

Cleveland

I get those spikes too. Almost takes me to the ground. You're not alone OG.

I recently joined a tinnitus forum which has some awesome info .   For those interested check it out here:  https://www.tinnitustalk.com/

I'm ole gray on that forum too  ;)

Cleveland

Really hope things get better for you.   OBTW: A household 6 or HH6 is the wife.

Thanks buddy and yea it would be nice for the medical community to find a cure.  i had an HH6 when I left for Nam and came home a single man.  I got the old Dear John letter and had to sign a lawyer's letter giving my Dad power of attorney.  Talking about making me one mean sob knowing my wife was running with the hippies !   

Cleveland

I'm glad mine isn't 24/7. I do know the feeling of the severe noise that puts you to your knees. Sometimes it happens when I'm working and doing something important and I cannot stop what I'm doing, that is hard to do.

First thank you for your service and welcome home. I was in Danang 1967-1968. I'm no help on the ringing. I have it to. Check the VA you might get compensation for it. I'm in Montana and can't golf yet. Damn it

Back at ya brother!

I've had three hearing tests from the VA and they acknowledge I have issues however it's a bitoch trying to get compensation.  I have two appeals ongoing now and have been for 5 years.  In fact, I went to the VA today and had a chat with an appeals officer who said I was on the docket so we'll see. 

I went on R & R with a Marine who was stationed at Da Nang.  We hit Bankok, Thailand for a week and man we banged some booty the whole week!  I was in the Army and was stationed at Cam Ranh Bay in 70 - 71 

Cleveland

Hey ole grey,

I too have suffered from tinnitus in both ears now for about 20 years. It started in the right and made its way over to the left. Caffeine makes it so much worse. I have had some success with Ginkgo Biloba in the past. Do you get dizzy with it? If so, I have found that meclizine has done wonders for me. I used to get dizzy over putts and man that makes putting almost impossible when a person cant find their balance. I am not sure if the meclizine helps with the ringing to much but I know that I have felt much better since I started taking on 25mg in the morning and one at night. Good luck, all we can do is own it and deal with it like many others do with much more serious issues.

Sticks:

Titleist 915D3 8.5 Graffaloy Pro Launch Red 65X

Titleist 915F Aldila NV 95 S Flex 3 Wood

Titleist 915H Aldila NV 105 S Flex 21 degree hybrid

Mizuno MP69 Dynamic Gold S300 Standard Length 2 up 3-PW

Cleveland RTX 54, Titleist SM4 48, Mizuno MP-T4 58

Odyssey 2 ball cs Superstroke 3.0 slim

Callaway Chrome Soft (2016)

Hey ole grey,

I too have suffered from tinnitus in both ears now for about 20 years. It started in the right and made its way over to the left. Caffeine makes it so much worse. I have had some success with Ginkgo Biloba in the past. Do you get dizzy with it? If so, I have found that meclizine has done wonders for me. I used to get dizzy over putts and man that makes putting almost impossible when a person cant find their balance. I am not sure if the meclizine helps with the ringing to much but I know that I have felt much better since I started taking on 25mg in the morning and one at night. Good luck, all we can do is own it and deal with it like many others do with much more serious issues.

I haven't tried either one however I will. I have a yearly physical soon and the doc is going to check my magnesium level. I'll ask about the ginkgo & meclizine too. I don't get dizzy however I do have some balance issues.

Tinnitus is a bitoch and folks who have clear hearing are truly fortunate

Cleveland

I have it in both ears 24/7 as well, sometimes it's worse than others.

It fired up so bad the other night that I couldn't sleep. I've tried lots of things but nothing seems to really help.

Mine cane from my days in radio, spending 6+ hours a day with headphones on and then doing club DJ gigs on the weekends with speakers blaring right near my head.

I would love to find something that actually gave me some relief

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I listen to music when I go to bed in the back ground because for some reason when I'm trying to fall asleep i get it. It doesn't always happen but it seems to happen frequently when I try to sleep. The white noise machine would probably help I may have to look into something like that.

I've had tinnitus in both ears for 20 years, because of work.

When I was going through my divorce, I was at my brother's house, and let's just say that I probably had too much to drink... him too. He kept me sane and "together" through the whole thing. Unfortunately, that night I wasn't having any of it. I told him to take his best shot... he did... right on my left ear. I told him to take another and see if he could do any better, because I was still standing...lol.

He took 2 more swings and the third one broke my left ear drum. That healed, but I have severe ringing in that ear that never stops. It sucks, but what are ya gonna do? Until there is a cure, I'll just have to deal with it.... and remind myself that my stupidity caused it.

I've had tinnitus in both ears for 20 years, because of work.

When I was going through my divorce, I was at my brother's house, and let's just say that I probably had too much to drink... him too. He kept me sane and "together" through the whole thing. Unfortunately, that night I wasn't having any of it. I told him to take his best shot... he did... right on my left ear. I told him to take another and see if he could do any better, because I was still standing...lol.

He took 2 more swings and the third one broke my left ear drum. That healed, but I have severe ringing in that ear that never stops. It sucks, but what are ya gonna do? Until there is a cure, I'll just have to deal with it.... and remind myself that my stupidity caused it.

You can either deal with it in a positive manner are wimp it out and let it take over.  I choose to gird up the loins and live.  That's in my dna on everything.  If ya quit, ya gonna get sh*t.....   Live strong!

Cleveland

+1 for white noise. I have an app on my phone. I don't get flare ups that often anymore, but it really helps.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino