Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Counterweight in full set?

Ok, So I found CB to be very beneficial to me in putting, I loved how much it stabalized the head for me.  Short version, I used to miss more 3 and 4 footers than I should cause the face wouldn't stay square to line, that dissappeared when I went to counterbalance, now I 3 putt on average only once every couple rounds.  I don't make a ton but I rarely 3 putt.  

Has anyone tried that in other clubs?  Does counterbalancing irons, wedges or even woods have the same effect of "quieting" the head, keeping it square so to speak?  I want to try it but I really don't want to waste grips and stuff on counterbalancing my irons if it isn't going to work at all.  The benefits were so big for me in putting that I want to try it but don't know if it translates at all.  

Driver M3- Fujikura Speeder Pro X

3 Wood  Titleist TS2 15*  Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Utility Titleist MB 3 iron KBS C-Taper X

Irons Srixon Z765 5-PW DG AMT White X

Wedges by committee

Taylormade Spider Tour w Gravity Grip

Screen-Shot-2013-04-05-at-6.58.35-PM.png

The secret grip employs this methodology. I'm not sure if this is still the case, but they used to send you one free to try. That's probably your best bet if they still do it.

I put one of these on my driver a few years back and wasn't thrilled. It made the club head rhythm feel too fast like when you use a grip that's way too big. You may get better results on irons but it's definitely worth a try before you buy.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Counterbalancing does have benefits in other clubs. Jack Nicklaus used to apply lead rap under his grips. Sergio Garcia at one point counterbalanced his whole set. If you read the tech specs on the G400 driver, it is counterbalanced as is the older z355 driver. If I remember right the old balanced certified weights were mostly marketed for putters but they did discuss their use in all clubs. Tour lock has sets for the full bag.

Generally you will see it incorporated into head heavy clubs. Just like with putters it takes experimentation to find the right weight for the club.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I'm in agreement with what everyone else has said here. There are ways to do it, but I'm not sure about the total benefits. Good news is if you like the idea, GolfWorks is running a buy 6 get 6 sale on the Secret Grip.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

I tried the secret grips several years ago. At the time they were new and expensive. I recall at first remembering how dramatically good my irons felt. Solid. I can't remember now but I eventually took them off for some reason.

And on that note.... if anyone wants to experiment around with counter balanced irons I'll sell mine cheap. Just send me a PM.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

As the other guys have mentioned the idea has been around for a while.  Whether or not it works for you is just another fitting variable.

An easy way to try it is by blowing your grips on with air instead of using traditional solvent.  Makes it super easy to take grips on and off and experiment.

You could start with just one iron and use clevis pins.  Various length pins will create various weights for you to try.  Just wrap a little electrical tape around the end until it fits snug in the butt of the shaft.  Then blow on a grip and test it out.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I bought some 8 gram slugs to put in the end of my iron shafts from Golf Works.

That way you can use any grip you like, plus you can re-use them.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

Archived