BGoergen

Counterweight in full set?

Our Sponsors

Ok, So I found CB to be very beneficial to me in putting, I loved how much it stabalized the head for me.  Short version, I used to miss more 3 and 4 footers than I should cause the face wouldn't stay square to line, that dissappeared when I went to counterbalance, now I 3 putt on average only once every couple rounds.  I don't make a ton but I rarely 3 putt.  

Has anyone tried that in other clubs?  Does counterbalancing irons, wedges or even woods have the same effect of "quieting" the head, keeping it square so to speak?  I want to try it but I really don't want to waste grips and stuff on counterbalancing my irons if it isn't going to work at all.  The benefits were so big for me in putting that I want to try it but don't know if it translates at all.  

• Like 2

Screen-Shot-2013-04-05-at-6.58.35-PM.png

The secret grip employs this methodology. I'm not sure if this is still the case, but they used to send you one free to try. That's probably your best bet if they still do it.

I put one of these on my driver a few years back and wasn't thrilled. It made the club head rhythm feel too fast like when you use a grip that's way too big. You may get better results on irons but it's definitely worth a try before you buy.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+
.......tracked by :Arccos:

:ping-small: G410 Plus: Tensei Orange
:cobra-small: King F7 3/4 FW: Tensei Blue

:cobra-small: King F7 3/4 Hy: Fujikura Pro
:ping-small: i500 5-GW: Modus3 105
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60: KBS Tour 90
:MLA: Tour Classic Black w/ :P2-grips-logo:

Counterbalancing does have benefits in other clubs. Jack Nicklaus used to apply lead rap under his grips. Sergio Garcia at one point counterbalanced his whole set. If you read the tech specs on the G400 driver, it is counterbalanced as is the older z355 driver. If I remember right the old balanced certified weights were mostly marketed for putters but they did discuss their use in all clubs. Tour lock has sets for the full bag.

Generally you will see it incorporated into head heavy clubs. Just like with putters it takes experimentation to find the right weight for the club.

• Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I'm in agreement with what everyone else has said here. There are ways to do it, but I'm not sure about the total benefits. Good news is if you like the idea, GolfWorks is running a buy 6 get 6 sale on the Secret Grip.

• Like 1

:mizuno-small: ST180, 10.5, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 15*, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:cobra-small: F9 Speedback, 18.5, Hzrdus Yellow 70-S

:ping-small: G710, 4-UW, Blue Dot, Nippon Modus 105-S

:honma: TW-W4, 56*, Nippon Modus 125

:mizuno-small: T20, 61*, Nippon Modus 125

:nickent-small: Pipe

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2019)

I tried the secret grips several years ago. At the time they were new and expensive. I recall at first remembering how dramatically good my irons felt. Solid. I can't remember now but I eventually took them off for some reason.

And on that note.... if anyone wants to experiment around with counter balanced irons I'll sell mine cheap. Just send me a PM.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

As the other guys have mentioned the idea has been around for a while.  Whether or not it works for you is just another fitting variable.

An easy way to try it is by blowing your grips on with air instead of using traditional solvent.  Makes it super easy to take grips on and off and experiment.

You could start with just one iron and use clevis pins.  Various length pins will create various weights for you to try.  Just wrap a little electrical tape around the end until it fits snug in the butt of the shaft.  Then blow on a grip and test it out.

• Like 2

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Epic SZ w/ VA Composites Raijin 65 04

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :ping-small: 5i-UW G700 w/ X100 soft stepped once

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 & 58 CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Didn't Jack use this type of grip, or at least it seems like he was a spokesperson for them in their commercials if I remember correctly

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I bought some 8 gram slugs to put in the end of my iron shafts from Golf Works.

That way you can use any grip you like, plus you can re-use them.

• Like 1

:cobra-small: Driver F9                     

:cobra-small: 5 wood 18 TS2 

:mizuno-small:  Irons 4i / 9i MP-20 HMB   
:mizuno-small: wedge T20 46* 50*                                                           

:callaway-small: Wedges MD5 Jaws  58/x

:mizuno-small: Putter M-Craft II black

:taylormade-small: Tour Response