TESTERS WANTED! ×

Game Golf Pro - New Product

Been using Game Golf since at least 2015 and have owned both of the previous devices. I'm excited for the release of Game Golf Pro as I honestly started to feel that GG was about to pull the plug - no substantial updates for quite a while/teasing a partnership with Golf Pride and never doing anything with it. 

A lot of people took issue with the tagging, but it's never bothered me. In fact, it helps me to not skip over the pre-shot routine which is an important part of the golf shot.

I saw someone asked about where the new device would go and if they'd have to put it in their bag - most likely the unit will need to be clipped onto your belt like the current devices. There are a couple of different ways to auto-detect a shot, but I'd have to guess that they're incorporating a microphone to pick up on impact. I could easily be wrong, but that's how the Golf MTRx app for iOS works. Anyway, keeping the device clipped to your belt will likely be a must - not to mention that having the device out in the open ensures accurate GPS lock-on (as accurate as GPS can be anyway).

I got an email from Game Golf asking me to fill out a short survey for beta testing so I'm hoping I actually get selected. If I do, I'll definitely do a comparison and post a review. I did one when GG Live came out and posted it on a Blogger account.

All said and done, this should be a good step forward for Game Golf. I hate that they had to play catch-up to Arccos, but if they can hit the market with the new device before Arccos or anyone else has a chance to release similar tech then GG Pro should be a smash hit.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Arccos is also trying to keep up they are talking about removing the phone form the pocket very soon and also releasing something small the size if a TicTac container that can replace to phone much less annoying and noticeable.

TR1PTIK   your the first person I have ever heard talk about the GOLFMTRx app. I was a beta tester for that app and really like it.

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

Arccos is also trying to keep up they are talking about removing the phone form the pocket very soon and also releasing something small the size if a TicTac container that can replace to phone much less annoying and noticeable.

TR1PTIK   your the first person I have ever heard talk about the GOLFMTRx app. I was a beta tester for that app and really like it.

I've read and listened to several interviews with Sal Syed - the CEO of Arccos Golf - where he's discussed his intentions to remove the phone element from the equation. That's the only thing that's kept me from switching over the course of the past year actually. It's possible I could still wind up giving Arccos a try at some point, but I'll definitely continue to use Game Golf for the time being.

I want to like the Golf MTRx app, but I honestly just don't quite understand it. I wish they offered a better tutorial that actually walked you through the stats over the course of a few swings. I also hate that every time I launch the app I have to navigate through two screens before I can start recording a session. I don't remember what the cost was, but I already paid for the app. I don't want to sign up for their newsletter and if I want to learn about recent updates, I can do some research. Overall, the user interface just needs some work and a graphics refresh wouldn't hurt either.

I would certainly think the puck shaped device clips onto your belt like the original device for Game Golf. It will be the same overall idea but more than likely use some kind of NFC to determine which club you're using. For me, if this system is all that it's cracked up to be, sign me up! I prefer the overall aesthetic of Arccos more than this. But if the caddie feature is included at no cost versus the Arccos monthly subscription it's a no-brainer.

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

Does look interesting

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

• 3 weeks later...

No tagging is nice. GPS feature I still don't trust over a bushnell. Depending on how much it costs, I would consider. That said, now that they have fancy key words like "autonomous grade sensors used by Tesla" it just seems like it's going to be more than I'm willing to pay

I agree that part scared me a bit. I have Arccos and I don't mind having my phone in my pocket all that much but a smaller object might be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

I can deal with the puck in the pocket, as long as it's small enough. I'm imagining that it connects with your phone via bluetooth (though I'd prefer WiFi direct, but whatever).

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I can deal with the puck in the pocket, as long as it's small enough. I'm imagining that it connects with your phone via bluetooth (though I'd prefer WiFi direct, but whatever).

If you have Android, you don't even need the puck, if I remember right. You can use NFC technology.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

If you have Android, you don't even need the puck, if I remember right. You can use NFC technology.

Hmmm... might be worth getting an NFC phone if that's the case. I use cheap phones because I tend to trash them.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

• 3 months later...

I'm still waiting on GG to release “Smart Grips” from two years ago. Worried GG Pro is their next vapor ware. They could at least post updates to social media.

Literally the moment I hit “post”, I checked the App Store and GG just updated to v.2.5 with their smart caddie feature enabled. Guess all I had to do was complain online. You're welcome, world.

• 3 weeks later...

But I notice there is no reply any where about the release date for the Pro Version I have Messaged them with no reply. Also now they want you to pay for the smart Caddie.

Do these systems update distance based on where the flag is?

I currently use the hole19 app, mostly because it is free! But I find that get so sick of having to take my phone out constantly to update shots and I find that the distance reading is to the middle of the green and if I want to adjust it to the position of the flag I have to take my phone out yet again. I've found that I'm back to square one, using the course score card and pencils and then using the app just for distance estimates.

This would be a upgrade from my current system but if it doesn't take into account changing pin positions I may be looking at just getting a range finder and continuing with the trusted pencils and paper! Especially given that this will not be cheap!

WITB?  Ping traverse bag

Driver: TaylorMade M2, 10*, 

Fairway woods: TaylorMade Aeroburner

Driving Iron: Srixon U65 2 iron, 18*, 

Irons: Wilson Staff C200 4-PW,

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 52*, 56*, 60*

Putter: Odyssey Versa blade putter

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

I assume what you mean to ask is, "do these systems provide distance to the pin?". If that's the case, the answer is no. 

If you're asking whether or not they provide statistics from the pin - putt distance, proximity to the hole, etc. - the answer is yes, but with limited accuracy. In order to accomplish this it requires an extra "tap" with Game Golf that is later removed during your post-round edit. With Arccos, you have to pull out your phone and drag the pin to its location on the green. Neither is 100% accurate, but they are both better than guessing and faster than walking off distances if you want to keep these kinds of stats.

If you're not really interested in statistical analysis, just get yourself a laser rangefinder or GPS watch. Both can be had relatively cheap if you look at brands like TecTecTec or purchase an older model on eBay - such as the Garmin Approach S2 GPS watch .

• 5 months later...

Felt like I had to revive this thread since...

ggpro.png.150bef254a45f3963c7202e161993e6f.png

Maybe next Christmas...

14 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

Felt like I had to revive this thread since...

ggpro.png.150bef254a45f3963c7202e161993e6f.png

Maybe next Christmas...

I dislike that the "Pre-Order Now" button will only add you to their email distribution list. No actual pre-ordering to be had.

Not that I would pre-order at all, but was curious if they had pricing up.

:cobra-small: Cobra King F7+, VA drago 65 X, 9.5*

:cobra-small: Cobra F7 3/4 wood - hzrd red 15.5*

:mizuno-small: MP-63 4-PW 

:cleveland-small: Cleveland 588 Tour Wedge (56*)

OnCore Elixr all day every day

Anyone have any information on the state of the company? I'm still using my GameGolf Live, but it seems clear that they're not updating it any longer. I'm wondering if, at some point, I need to consider switching over to another stat-tracking system.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

49 minutes ago, Angry Yeti said:

I dislike that the "Pre-Order Now" button will only add you to their email distribution list. No actual pre-ordering to be had.

Not that I would pre-order at all, but was curious if they had pricing up.

Pricing is posted under the "Products" tab at the top of the page. $299.99 will be the going rate.

36 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Anyone have any information on the state of the company? I'm still using my GameGolf Live, but it seems clear that they're not updating it any longer. I'm wondering if, at some point, I need to consider switching over to another stat-tracking system.

Not a peep in the news , blog sites, or social media. They haven't posted anything to their own blog in quite some time either and nothing of any regularity since maybe 2016? My expectations are pretty low. I sold my GG Live on eBay a while back and gave Arccos a shot. I didn't care for it much though. I experienced a few mapping issues (that were at least resolved rather quickly with an email) and thought the tagging was unreliable compared to GG. Think I may give Shot Scope a try next - assuming I even bother with another stat tracker.

I kind of wonder if the whole shot tracking - stats gathering thing is wearing a little thin. Just so everyone knows.... I was an early adopter of Game Golf. At first I thought this was really a game changer. But it wasn't. Granted... I was way early and the product was very buggy and not ready for market IMO. I ended up ditching it. And quite frankly; I don't need or want all the data. It's easy enough to learn by old fashion playing and practicing and; if you're into all the "data" a pencil and paper still work very well. And.... you only need to know 5 numbers. 1 through 5. That's plenty of data for me.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I kind of wonder if the whole shot tracking - stats gathering thing is wearing a little thin. Just so everyone knows.... I was an early adopter of Game Golf. At first I thought this was really a game changer. But it wasn't. Granted... I was way early and the product was very buggy and not ready for market IMO. I ended up ditching it. And quite frankly; I don't need or want all the data. It's easy enough to learn by old fashion playing and practicing and; if you're into all the "data" a pencil and paper still work very well. And.... you only need to know 5 numbers. 1 through 5. That's plenty of data for me.

It’s remotely possible we could see stat tracking go the way of swing analyzers, but it’s more likely limited to Game Golf. While my experience with the product has generally been pretty good, they definitely failed to offer what was advertised. They also seemed to stop listening to their users and providing the updates and features we really wanted. Arccos has surpassed them in numerous ways from a technology perspective even if I wasn’t fond of the system.

The primary features of stat trackers that will continue to make them viable are the relative ease of data collection and strokes gained analysis. They also can be a good coaching tool PGA professionals. To each his own though. I’ve debated going the pencil and paper route, but have not been satisfied with the results so far.

Personally I think Shot by Shot by Peter Sanders is a much better approach. I actually used it a few years ago and liked it. BTW Peter Sanders is the guy that actually invented "strokes gained".  Not the other guy (forget his name) that ripped off Sanders. Here's a link if you're interested...

http://www.shotbyshot.com/

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

1 hour ago, PlaidJacket said:

Personally I think Shot by Shot by Peter Sanders is a much better approach. I actually used it a few years ago and liked it. BTW Peter Sanders is the guy that actually invented "strokes gained".  Not the other guy (forget his name) that ripped off Sanders. Here's a link if you're interested...

http://www.shotbyshot.com/

I've heard of him before and the truth is there's a lot more involved than Mark Broadie (the other guy) simply ripping off "his" idea. Golf Digest wrote a good article in 2014 on the subject (skip to the 9th paragraph to start reading about the development of strokes gained on tour).

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/gwar-shotlink-feature-david-barrett-0113

The problem with Shot by Shot is that aside from his "Putting Skills Test & Practice App", the cost of admission is $79/yr for essentially the same stats I can get from Game Golf, Arccos, or Shot Scope. I can get a brand new GG Live unit for $100 or less and use it for years. A second issue is actual shot tracking (SbS can't do that which means golfers can't see their REAL distances). And a third problem is ease of use. That's what really sells these devices. I could do all the analysis and data collection (including distance) myself, but it's a royal PITA without the assistance of stat tracking devices.

At the end of the day, they all (SbS, GG, Arccos, SS) do the same thing from a metrics perspective. To each his own. However, if anyone that wants to give SbS a try, $24/yr ($2/mo) will get you Driving stats, Tee-to-Green, GIRs, Putting, and Scoring Analysis according to the website. Not bad if you want to dip your toe in the water and see if the extra data helps you.

Very interesting that this thread should have just been revived. I just got an email an hour ago offering me the opportunity to buy (at a discount) the new GG Pro, with the caddie shipping, with shipping promised on January 4. So they are not dead yet!

They just posted this video five days ago:

Full WITB with pictures

3 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Very interesting that this thread should have just been revived. I just got an email an hour ago offering me the opportunity to buy (at a discount) the new GG Pro, with the caddie shipping, with shipping promised on January 4. So they are not dead yet!

They just posted this video five days ago:

I'm certainly intrigued....I had the first iteration and used it once, forgot to tag half my shots and then sold it at a loss.  Eliminating the tagging is huge...as well as not having to keep your phone in your pocket.  I'll be keeping my eye on this one...they've got tough competition with Arccos though.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

1 minute ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

I'm certainly intrigued....I had the first iteration and used it once, forgot to tag half my shots and then sold it at a loss.  Eliminating the tagging is huge...as well as not having to keep your phone in your pocket.  I'll be keeping my eye on this one...they've got tough competition with Arccos though.

Agreed. I have the GG Live right now, so it's hard to justify the $200+ price (which is the discount level). For my part, I use it so often that I tend to double-tag shots more often than I forget to tag; I'll tag subconsciously just as part of my preshot routine, and then wonder if I did, and tag again.

Here's the big difficulty in selling me on it: I upgraded from GG to GG Live. The chief difference is that with Live, it's connected by Bluetooth to your phone, and so you can see everything in real time. That is awful for my game, because I'm a bit OCD, and end up tweaking little things (pin positions, whether a putt was from the green, adding penalties, etc.) during the round.

I ended up still using my GG Live on every round, but without using the Live feature at all: I just plug it in to the computer and upload rounds after the fact, doing all the tweaking then.

I want the data; I love data. But the tagging doesn't really get in my way, and I don't want to use the Caddie (because I don't want to connect to my phone). But I hope that Pro sells well, because the company has all my data 🙂

Full WITB with pictures

51 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Agreed. I have the GG Live right now, so it's hard to justify the $200+ price (which is the discount level). For my part, I use it so often that I tend to double-tag shots more often than I forget to tag; I'll tag subconsciously just as part of my preshot routine, and then wonder if I did, and tag again.

Here's the big difficulty in selling me on it: I upgraded from GG to GG Live. The chief difference is that with Live, it's connected by Bluetooth to your phone, and so you can see everything in real time. That is awful for my game, because I'm a bit OCD, and end up tweaking little things (pin positions, whether a putt was from the green, adding penalties, etc.) during the round.

I ended up still using my GG Live on every round, but without using the Live feature at all: I just plug it in to the computer and upload rounds after the fact, doing all the tweaking then.

I want the data; I love data. But the tagging doesn't really get in my way, and I don't want to use the Caddie (because I don't want to connect to my phone). But I hope that Pro sells well, because the company has all my data 🙂

Lol. I used to do the same exact thing where I'd tag and then forget I did it and tag again. Glad to know I'm not the only one!

I never had the problem with staring at my phone a lot with GG Live (I upgraded from the original unit too). Maybe I did at first because I wanted to see it in action and learn the new features they were adding, but eventually I reached a point where the only time I"d mess with it was after a hole that required a penalty adjustment or in between nines/after the round. 

What you said about using GG Live without a phone at all was the great thing about GG Live that a lot of people seemed to not understand. I read so many reviews that implied you had to have your phone on you to use GG Live when that simply wasn't the case. It was completely optional. Even still, you never had to have the phone actually on your person! I'd just leave my phone in the cart and GG Live would sync the data when I came back - it was so simple!

I'll be curious to see what the reviews are like when they come in for GG Pro. I'm still leaning toward grabbing another GG Live while I can due to the affordable price, but I really hope they become more actively engaged with their users. That's arguably a bigger issue than the tagging. They need to be pushing regular updates and working on the many feature requests that have been floating around for forever (export to Excel would be a great start!).