Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Our Sponsors

Does anyone know when GG Pro is being released? The season is quickly passing by.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still waiting on GG to release “Smart Grips” from two years ago. Worried GG Pro is their next vapor ware. They could at least post updates to social media.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still waiting on GG to release “Smart Grips” from two years ago. Worried GG Pro is their next vapor ware. They could at least post updates to social media.

Literally the moment I hit “post”, I checked the App Store and GG just updated to v.2.5 with their smart caddie feature enabled. Guess all I had to do was complain online. You're welcome, world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But I notice there is no reply any where about the release date for the Pro Version I have Messaged them with no reply. Also now they want you to pay for the smart Caddie.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do these systems update distance based on where the flag is?

 

I currently use the hole19 app, mostly because it is free! But I find that get so sick of having to take my phone out constantly to update shots and I find that the distance reading is to the middle of the green and if I want to adjust it to the position of the flag I have to take my phone out yet again. I've found that I'm back to square one, using the course score card and pencils and then using the app just for distance estimates.

 

This would be a upgrade from my current system but if it doesn't take into account changing pin positions I may be looking at just getting a range finder and continuing with the trusted pencils and paper! Especially given that this will not be cheap!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I assume what you mean to ask is, "do these systems provide distance to the pin?". If that's the case, the answer is no. 

 

If you're asking whether or not they provide statistics from the pin - putt distance, proximity to the hole, etc. - the answer is yes, but with limited accuracy. In order to accomplish this it requires an extra "tap" with Game Golf that is later removed during your post-round edit. With Arccos, you have to pull out your phone and drag the pin to its location on the green. Neither is 100% accurate, but they are both better than guessing and faster than walking off distances if you want to keep these kinds of stats.

 

If you're not really interested in statistical analysis, just get yourself a laser rangefinder or GPS watch. Both can be had relatively cheap if you look at brands like TecTecTec or purchase an older model on eBay - such as the Garmin Approach S2 GPS watch .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Felt like I had to revive this thread since...

ggpro.png.150bef254a45f3963c7202e161993e6f.png

Maybe next Christmas...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

Felt like I had to revive this thread since...

ggpro.png.150bef254a45f3963c7202e161993e6f.png

Maybe next Christmas...

I dislike that the "Pre-Order Now" button will only add you to their email distribution list. No actual pre-ordering to be had.

 

Not that I would pre-order at all, but was curious if they had pricing up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone have any information on the state of the company? I'm still using my GameGolf Live, but it seems clear that they're not updating it any longer. I'm wondering if, at some point, I need to consider switching over to another stat-tracking system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Angry Yeti said:

I dislike that the "Pre-Order Now" button will only add you to their email distribution list. No actual pre-ordering to be had.

 

Not that I would pre-order at all, but was curious if they had pricing up.

Pricing is posted under the "Products" tab at the top of the page. $299.99 will be the going rate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Anyone have any information on the state of the company? I'm still using my GameGolf Live, but it seems clear that they're not updating it any longer. I'm wondering if, at some point, I need to consider switching over to another stat-tracking system.

Not a peep in the news , blog sites, or social media. They haven't posted anything to their own blog in quite some time either and nothing of any regularity since maybe 2016? My expectations are pretty low. I sold my GG Live on eBay a while back and gave Arccos a shot. I didn't care for it much though. I experienced a few mapping issues (that were at least resolved rather quickly with an email) and thought the tagging was unreliable compared to GG. Think I may give Shot Scope a try next - assuming I even bother with another stat tracker.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I kind of wonder if the whole shot tracking - stats gathering thing is wearing a little thin. Just so everyone knows.... I was an early adopter of Game Golf. At first I thought this was really a game changer. But it wasn't. Granted... I was way early and the product was very buggy and not ready for market IMO. I ended up ditching it. And quite frankly; I don't need or want all the data. It's easy enough to learn by old fashion playing and practicing and; if you're into all the "data" a pencil and paper still work very well. And.... you only need to know 5 numbers. 1 through 5. That's plenty of data for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I kind of wonder if the whole shot tracking - stats gathering thing is wearing a little thin. Just so everyone knows.... I was an early adopter of Game Golf. At first I thought this was really a game changer. But it wasn't. Granted... I was way early and the product was very buggy and not ready for market IMO. I ended up ditching it. And quite frankly; I don't need or want all the data. It's easy enough to learn by old fashion playing and practicing and; if you're into all the "data" a pencil and paper still work very well. And.... you only need to know 5 numbers. 1 through 5. That's plenty of data for me.


It’s remotely possible we could see stat tracking go the way of swing analyzers, but it’s more likely limited to Game Golf. While my experience with the product has generally been pretty good, they definitely failed to offer what was advertised. They also seemed to stop listening to their users and providing the updates and features we really wanted. Arccos has surpassed them in numerous ways from a technology perspective even if I wasn’t fond of the system.

The primary features of stat trackers that will continue to make them viable are the relative ease of data collection and strokes gained analysis. They also can be a good coaching tool PGA professionals. To each his own though. I’ve debated going the pencil and paper route, but have not been satisfied with the results so far.


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like my GG. But I am thinking of resetting to zero with a new acct. want to see different data. My clubs and some shafts have changed. I haven’t, but that is a separate issue entirely

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I think Shot by Shot by Peter Sanders is a much better approach. I actually used it a few years ago and liked it. BTW Peter Sanders is the guy that actually invented "strokes gained".  Not the other guy (forget his name) that ripped off Sanders. Here's a link if you're interested...

http://www.shotbyshot.com/

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PlaidJacket said:

Personally I think Shot by Shot by Peter Sanders is a much better approach. I actually used it a few years ago and liked it. BTW Peter Sanders is the guy that actually invented "strokes gained".  Not the other guy (forget his name) that ripped off Sanders. Here's a link if you're interested...

http://www.shotbyshot.com/

I've heard of him before and the truth is there's a lot more involved than Mark Broadie (the other guy) simply ripping off "his" idea. Golf Digest wrote a good article in 2014 on the subject (skip to the 9th paragraph to start reading about the development of strokes gained on tour).

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/gwar-shotlink-feature-david-barrett-0113

The problem with Shot by Shot is that aside from his "Putting Skills Test & Practice App", the cost of admission is $79/yr for essentially the same stats I can get from Game Golf, Arccos, or Shot Scope. I can get a brand new GG Live unit for $100 or less and use it for years. A second issue is actual shot tracking (SbS can't do that which means golfers can't see their REAL distances). And a third problem is ease of use. That's what really sells these devices. I could do all the analysis and data collection (including distance) myself, but it's a royal PITA without the assistance of stat tracking devices.

At the end of the day, they all (SbS, GG, Arccos, SS) do the same thing from a metrics perspective. To each his own. However, if anyone that wants to give SbS a try, $24/yr ($2/mo) will get you Driving stats, Tee-to-Green, GIRs, Putting, and Scoring Analysis according to the website. Not bad if you want to dip your toe in the water and see if the extra data helps you.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very interesting that this thread should have just been revived. I just got an email an hour ago offering me the opportunity to buy (at a discount) the new GG Pro, with the caddie shipping, with shipping promised on January 4. So they are not dead yet!

They just posted this video five days ago:

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Very interesting that this thread should have just been revived. I just got an email an hour ago offering me the opportunity to buy (at a discount) the new GG Pro, with the caddie shipping, with shipping promised on January 4. So they are not dead yet!

They just posted this video five days ago:

 

I'm certainly intrigued....I had the first iteration and used it once, forgot to tag half my shots and then sold it at a loss.  Eliminating the tagging is huge...as well as not having to keep your phone in your pocket.  I'll be keeping my eye on this one...they've got tough competition with Arccos though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

I'm certainly intrigued....I had the first iteration and used it once, forgot to tag half my shots and then sold it at a loss.  Eliminating the tagging is huge...as well as not having to keep your phone in your pocket.  I'll be keeping my eye on this one...they've got tough competition with Arccos though.

Agreed. I have the GG Live right now, so it's hard to justify the $200+ price (which is the discount level). For my part, I use it so often that I tend to double-tag shots more often than I forget to tag; I'll tag subconsciously just as part of my preshot routine, and then wonder if I did, and tag again.

Here's the big difficulty in selling me on it: I upgraded from GG to GG Live. The chief difference is that with Live, it's connected by Bluetooth to your phone, and so you can see everything in real time. That is awful for my game, because I'm a bit OCD, and end up tweaking little things (pin positions, whether a putt was from the green, adding penalties, etc.) during the round.

I ended up still using my GG Live on every round, but without using the Live feature at all: I just plug it in to the computer and upload rounds after the fact, doing all the tweaking then.

I want the data; I love data. But the tagging doesn't really get in my way, and I don't want to use the Caddie (because I don't want to connect to my phone). But I hope that Pro sells well, because the company has all my data 🙂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Agreed. I have the GG Live right now, so it's hard to justify the $200+ price (which is the discount level). For my part, I use it so often that I tend to double-tag shots more often than I forget to tag; I'll tag subconsciously just as part of my preshot routine, and then wonder if I did, and tag again.

Here's the big difficulty in selling me on it: I upgraded from GG to GG Live. The chief difference is that with Live, it's connected by Bluetooth to your phone, and so you can see everything in real time. That is awful for my game, because I'm a bit OCD, and end up tweaking little things (pin positions, whether a putt was from the green, adding penalties, etc.) during the round.

I ended up still using my GG Live on every round, but without using the Live feature at all: I just plug it in to the computer and upload rounds after the fact, doing all the tweaking then.

I want the data; I love data. But the tagging doesn't really get in my way, and I don't want to use the Caddie (because I don't want to connect to my phone). But I hope that Pro sells well, because the company has all my data 🙂

Lol. I used to do the same exact thing where I'd tag and then forget I did it and tag again. Glad to know I'm not the only one!

I never had the problem with staring at my phone a lot with GG Live (I upgraded from the original unit too). Maybe I did at first because I wanted to see it in action and learn the new features they were adding, but eventually I reached a point where the only time I"d mess with it was after a hole that required a penalty adjustment or in between nines/after the round. 

What you said about using GG Live without a phone at all was the great thing about GG Live that a lot of people seemed to not understand. I read so many reviews that implied you had to have your phone on you to use GG Live when that simply wasn't the case. It was completely optional. Even still, you never had to have the phone actually on your person! I'd just leave my phone in the cart and GG Live would sync the data when I came back - it was so simple!

I'll be curious to see what the reviews are like when they come in for GG Pro. I'm still leaning toward grabbing another GG Live while I can due to the affordable price, but I really hope they become more actively engaged with their users. That's arguably a bigger issue than the tagging. They need to be pushing regular updates and working on the many feature requests that have been floating around for forever (export to Excel would be a great start!).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...