Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

MgI VS Hybrid

Mizuno2

So I know it is a redundant topic and has somewhat been resolved that hybrids are better then long iron but

what about hybrids VS SGI Irons in 3/4 iron?

Sent from my SM-G950W using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver- Mizuno jpx Ez 9.5(set to low) with Matrix Red tie limited edition masters green with multicompound red platinum 44.5" f3 wood- Adams tight lies 16* Mitsubishi rayon fubuki x flex3-9 irons- Mizuno T-zoid pro irons s300 w sensicores47*, 56* Mizuno s5 wedge white satinPutter- odyssey #9 pro with super stroke 3.0All other clubs have different coloured multi compounds

MGI? Guessing massive game improvement?  Or typo and meant SGI?  Either way I'm gonna take it to mean a bigger game improvement iron.

First I'd say there has not been a consensus that hybrids are better than long irons or driving irons.  It's just another option for golfers.  Some will find hybrids better, some will find driving & long irons better.  It's purely another fitting options to see which works best for you.

Hybrid vs SGI long iron is going to be the same thing.  Some will prefer one, some will prefer the other.  I tend to look at it from a distance gapping perspective.  Figure out what distance you want to cover, then hit clubs until you find the one that lets you cover that distance consistently to the best of your ability.  Once you find it, put it in the bag!

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Last year I swapped between a G30 4 iron and a hybrid 4 and found better results with the hybrid.  When both were hit well they produced similar results but my stupid brain spasms when looking at a low lofted iron.  With a long iron my swing gets short and really fast producing inconstant results.  With a hybrid I can put a smoother swing on the ball producing better shots.  

It seems like more and more of the pros are going to a less forgiving iron in the shorter clubs and then something more forgiving in the longer clubs.  They don't go to SGI but they don't have to.  

If you can put a good swing on a SGI long iron and a hybrid the results should be fairly close.  Play what you like the looks of.  

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

Last year I swapped between a G30 4 iron and a hybrid 4 and found better results with the hybrid. When both were hit well they produced similar results but my stupid brain spasms when looking at a low lofted iron. With a long iron my swing gets short and really fast producing inconstant results. With a hybrid I can put a smoother swing on the ball producing better shots.

It seems like more and more of the pros are going to a less forgiving iron in the shorter clubs and then something more forgiving in the longer clubs. They don't go to SGI but they don't have to.

If you can put a good swing on a SGI long iron and a hybrid the results should be fairly close. Play what you like the looks of.

I am kind of leaning towards a couple of small headed hybrids. I just have to match my lofts because my 5 iron is 28*

Driver- Mizuno jpx Ez 9.5(set to low) with Matrix Red tie limited edition masters green with multicompound red platinum 44.5" f3 wood- Adams tight lies 16* Mitsubishi rayon fubuki x flex3-9 irons- Mizuno T-zoid pro irons s300 w sensicores47*, 56* Mizuno s5 wedge white satinPutter- odyssey #9 pro with super stroke 3.0All other clubs have different coloured multi compounds

I am kind of leaning towards a couple of small headed hybrids. I just have to match my lofts because my 5 iron is 28*

My only advice would be to not get hung up on the lofts.  Worry more about the carry distances than what the club says.  

As an example.  My 5 iron loft was 23 degrees, but the hybrid replacement that gave me that distance was 25 degrees.  Same thing with 4 iron, loft was 20 degrees but hybrid replacement was 22.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

My only advice would be to not get hung up on the lofts. Worry more about the carry distances than what the club says.

As an example. My 5 iron loft was 23 degrees, but the hybrid replacement that gave me that distance was 25 degrees. Same thing with 4 iron, loft was 20 degrees but hybrid replacement was 22.

+1. Weight and shaft length are added variables that don't make it an easy loft for loft swap.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I pretty much used a 4 and 5 hybrid the past two years and began my irons at a 6.  When I was reviewing the JPX900 Hot Metals I kept the 4 and 5 irons in the bag obviously to be able to evaluate the whole bag.  There were definitely a few instances, where I struck the 4 iron very solid and it was pure euphoria!   But also more times than not that it was a less than perfect strike, and I knew I would have had better results with the hybrid.

For many years I was one of those that struggled to find the right balance on how to hit a hybrid consistently.   When I put the 816 H1 in my bag two years ago, all that became a past issue.  It is one of my most favorite clubs in the entire bag to hit.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

My only advice would be to not get hung up on the lofts. Worry more about the carry distances than what the club says.

As an example. My 5 iron loft was 23 degrees, but the hybrid replacement that gave me that distance was 25 degrees. Same thing with 4 iron, loft was 20 degrees but hybrid replacement was 22.

Same here. I'm looking at a 23* hybrid/driving iron option to replace my 20* three iron this year. It's totally about getting the gapping right. I'll end-up at Club Champion or somewhere similar to get it all figured out.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I have 3 hybrids now and I think it all comes down to preference and for me, shaft. My current ones are a Cobra F7 set at 16.5  (adjustable from 16-19) with KBS Proto S+ shaft  (used instead of a fairway last 2 rounds), 19 degree Cleveland Launcher (fixed loft) with stock Miyazaki X stiff and Wilson Mg Tour F3 at 21up (adjustable from 19-22) with KBS Proto S+. Of the 3, the F7 is currently working best for me.

however, I can say that the new GI Cleveland CBX irons are great, pretty low lofted with the 4i coming in at 20, but with the set up it for the S300 hard stepped and 1 inch longer, is absolutely amazeballs for me, easier to hit that the Cleveland hybrid at this point and has a great piercing flight. With that loft it is almost a 3i. 

'

I haven't tried the Launcher HB irons but BarbaJo and Meyer said they were stupid easy to get the ball airborne. 

i'm going to adjust my hybrids so they are all at 19, so i can get a good feel for which one does the best to fill that gap between my 15 degree fairway and 4i, and may even swap the KBS shaft into the cleveland hybrid head to get an idea of shaft versus head as the KBS shaft is fantastic.  With my current set up, i might not be needing the Wilson head, so we'll have to see how the 19 degree challenge plays out. 

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

Archived