TESTERS WANTED! ×

16th at waste management

Charli

So I'd really like everyone's opinion on this hole. When I first started watching golf I really enjoyed this hole. I thought it was awesome how everyone was trashed yelling booing cheering whatever. The awesome videos of the drunk fans were all good and great. Now I must admit I think it's a little too much. I don't mind the cheering/booing but have some respect for these guys Jobs. Are people that dumb to yell in a backswing?

I am perfectly fine with it. There's only one hole on the entire PGA Tour circuit like it. It's just so unique. The PGA Tour need stuff different from the typical — more match play or something. The fans love it and I think the players like it too. All of the guys out there get the same treatment so you can't say it's not fair.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

It's unique for sure. The one tournament that you can see the players personality a little. It is easy to tell the guys that don't care for it and the ones that embrace it like Rickie. Not any disrespect to the majors, but this is Golfs Super Bowl or World Series - at least for the fans. There's always the dummies that get a little to sauced up, you get that in all sports.

It is kinda fun and mixes up the stodginess of golf.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I'm all for it. Like others have said, it's a nice change of pace and it's good to mix things up a bit. They really let Poulter hear it when he shanked it, but it's all in good fun.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

I love it. As a once a year thing, I love it. Now, we really don't need "Bababooey" or "mashed potatoes" at any other event, but it works here. The players know what's going to happen, and they can skip this event if they don't care for it.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I personally think it would be an awesome thing to be a part of. As a player 99.9% of the time you have a very quite setting. This hole brings out some fun. If you can't embrace it then you don't have to play in the event. But man what a way to grow a fan base.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

Yelling in the backswing is over the line, but everything else I love. Would I think it a bit much if they had a hole like this every other week? Absolutely. But for one tournament a year, it brings out emotion and character in some of the pros.

It also helps that it's a shorter hole. Hitting 5/6 vs 9/w makes it easier to hit the green. If it was a 190yd hole and pros were booed for every missed green, the stadium likely wouldn't have lasted

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

Yea I like the idea of everybody throwing down on the 16th hole except not when a player is addressing the ball. Let him hit the frigging thing and them party hearty. What I want to know is how do all them drunk basta*ds get home!?  :blink:  

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Kind of long....

Interesting this topic came up as I was pondering this tournament and in particular the 16th hole. Just last night I thought to myself that it seems to be getting out of hand increasingly over the years. To me anyway. Personally, I'm not a big fan and here's why. Fans at some sporting events have gotten so rowdy and at times out of control with their behavior. Nothing new really but it's been increasing over time. I know this because I've lived long enough to have witnessed it first hand. Take football for example. It's an exciting sport (or used to be anyway). Fans cheered and yelled but generally kept their behavior in check. Every once in a while somebody dressed in a costume and would make the TV screen during a game. Eventually fans became more rowdy.... and drunk. Even though the fans were split between their support for one team or another they mostly behaved themselves and showed personal restraint toward each other and the players. Then I recall during one game back in the 80's a fan at a football game (Vikings? Giants? Can't recall) throwing a whiskey bottle at a ref in the end-zone. They missed. Then later it seemed fans elsewhere would throw other items out on the field or at players or refs. (batteries packed inside a snowball) Drunkenness, signage written with profanity, and general debauchery would break out. I've been told that just outside of the Philadelphia Eagles stadium there is a lockup or police booking station of some sort. Our society has become much more coarse and crude. Anyone ever been to a little league game or jr. football? I think you know what I mean. Especially older folks like myself. Younger people not so much... because for them or maybe you it's always been coarse or normal depending on your perspective and age. However, it's the reality we all have to live with. Like it or not. I'll say again... I'm not a fan really of the PGA's "experiment" on the 16th hole. I don't think it fits in with golf and doesn't impress me. I don't think it's "cool" or fun! However I do suggest a compromise for the PGA Tour. Why not just build a seperate par three hole at every tournament like #16 and let everyone assemble there who enjoy this type of behavior and display so they can get drunk, yell, boo, wear costumes, and perhaps even throw things if they want to? Wouldn't that be "cool?" 

As we all know, golf is different from other sports and that's a good thing IMO. I don't see the need by the PGA Tour to make special accomodations in an attempt to display to the world that golfers can be rowdy crude folks too; just like spectators at a football game. Golf isn't football. Anyone ever been to the Masters? Well I have - twice. It's not a PGA event. It's owned and run by the Masters organization at Augusta National Country Club. I've also been to many other tour events and they're nothing at all like the Masters. It's quiet and respectful at the Masters. Sure when great shots are made or an important putt holed the crowd (ehem..patrons) yell and clap. But, then it's quiet again. Try going around the grounds at the Masters yelling, "get in the hole" and see how long you last. The Masters is now considered a Throw-Back to earlier times. Some might even call it a relic of bygone era. But it's really not so much that... it's more like it should be. Most people that haven't ever had the opportunity to go to the Masters would be shocked how it's run and way the fans behave themselves. (if you don't you'll be tossed out on the curb but quick and banned) Sadly, you just don't see that anymore. Bad behavior is accepted for some reason. We collectively Put-Up with it. Why?

Have a great Saturday everyone and play well if you live some place that isn't frozen. Like me!  :D

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I like the 16th. Guys have some cool surprises and they seem to embrace it. I liked Rickie encouraging the crowd to make some noise during his swing. As long as A) the player wants it and B) they aren't doing it mid backswing or putt, I'm all for it.

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

Kind of long....

Interesting this topic came up as I was pondering this tournament and in particular the 16th hole. Just last night I thought to myself that it seems to be getting out of hand increasingly over the years. To me anyway. Personally, I'm not a big fan and here's why. Fans at some sporting events have gotten so rowdy and at times out of control with their behavior. Nothing new really but it's been increasing over time. I know this because I've lived long enough to have witnessed it first hand. Take football for example. It's an exciting sport (or used to be anyway). Fans cheered and yelled but generally kept their behavior in check. Every once in a while somebody dressed in a costume and would make the TV screen during a game. Eventually fans became more rowdy.... and drunk. Even though the fans were split between their support for one team or another they mostly behaved themselves and showed personal restraint toward each other and the players. Then I recall during one game back in the 80's a fan at a football game (Vikings? Giants? Can't recall) throwing a whiskey bottle at a ref in the end-zone. They missed. Then later it seemed fans elsewhere would throw other items out on the field or at players or refs. (batteries packed inside a snowball) Drunkenness, signage written with profanity, and general debauchery would break out. I've been told that just outside of the Philadelphia Eagles stadium there is a lockup or police booking station of some sort. Our society has become much more coarse and crude. Anyone ever been to a little league game or jr. football? I think you know what I mean. Especially older folks like myself. Younger people not so much... because for them or maybe you it's always been coarse or normal depending on your perspective and age. However, it's the reality we all have to live with. Like it or not. I'll say again... I'm not a fan really of the PGA's "experiment" on the 16th hole. I don't think it fits in with golf and doesn't impress me. I don't think it's "cool" or fun! However I do suggest a compromise for the PGA Tour. Why not just build a seperate par three hole at every tournament like #16 and let everyone assemble there who enjoy this type of behavior and display so they can get drunk, yell, boo, wear costumes, and perhaps even throw things if they want to? Wouldn't that be "cool?" 

As we all know, golf is different from other sports and that's a good thing IMO. I don't see the need by the PGA Tour to make special accomodations in an attempt to display to the world that golfers can be rowdy crude folks too; just like spectators at a football game. Golf isn't football. Anyone ever been to the Masters? Well I have - twice. It's not a PGA event. It's owned and run by the Masters organization at Augusta National Country Club. I've also been to many other tour events and they're nothing at all like the Masters. It's quiet and respectful at the Masters. Sure when great shots are made or an important putt holed the crowd (ehem..patrons) yell and clap. But, then it's quiet again. Try going around the grounds at the Masters yelling, "get in the hole" and see how long you last. The Masters is now considered a Throw-Back to earlier times. Some might even call it a relic of bygone era. But it's really not so much that... it's more like it should be. Most people that haven't ever had the opportunity to go to the Masters would be shocked how it's run and way the fans behave themselves. (if you don't you'll be tossed out on the curb but quick and banned) Sadly, you just don't see that anymore. Bad behavior is accepted for some reason. We collectively Put-Up with it. Why?

Have a great Saturday everyone and play well if you live where place that isn't frozen. Like me!  :D

You'd get ya arse thrown out at the practice range if your farted too loud.  The Masters is all about class. 

There were several fights this year at college football games that made the news.  I don't know about the rest of the nation however the SEC rivalries have become war zones.  Yea it's getting ridiculously out of hand.  Maybe they need to separate the fans and not let them sit in the same area in the stadiums .   The thing is some of the fans are not even drunk and still get pissed enough to fight if you taunt their team.  

Cleveland

I think it's all personal preference. And that's ok. I happen to like it. Others such as plaid not so much. And that's ok.. I also happen to like the fact the Masters is the way it is..

But I think we all can agree that the 16th at the waste management is still a pretty cool hole, with the grandstands and all.. with or without the drunken fools..

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

Ole gray I think you've made some

Valid points and I agree I like the masters the way it is but Do you think it could also be them trying to grow the game. Giving the golfers some Personality making it more appealing to the younger guys/kids. Let's be honest I doubt a young kid who doesn't golf would watch the masters. A kid flipping through the channels and watching golfers get booed and trying to get the crowd going may appeal to them. Idk just a thought also playing a little devils advocate to see your opinion on thag

Been watching the 16th quite a bit these last two days, as it's a featured hole on the streaming coverage from PGA Tour Live.

Two major impressions from me.

First, while I like the idea of the 16th, that there's one hole a year at one tournament of the year where a different atmosphere prevails, there was something really negative feeling about watching it. The crowd seems far more eager to boo bad shots than they are to cheer good ones. It feels like a car race in which everyone is just there for the wrecks. For me, the feel is less fun. I guess the question is whether the booing feels like good natured ribbing, or whether the feel is more antagonistic. It seemed more like the latter to me, which removes some of the fun and charm from the 16th.

The other observation: absent the atmosphere and the grandstands, it's a pretty boring golf hole. Maybe it just comes from watching the same hole over and over. Maybe the announcers aren't doing enough to explain the strategy of the hole. But it just seems a kind of point and shoot par 3, where you either hit your target or you don't. For a hole with the kind of legendary status that the 16th has acquired, I'd hope for something more interesting just as a hole.

Sent from my LG-G5 using the MyGolfSpy mobile app.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Ole gray I think you've made some

Valid points and I agree I like the masters the way it is but Do you think it could also be them trying to grow the game. Giving the golfers some Personality making it more appealing to the younger guys/kids. Let's be honest I doubt a young kid who doesn't golf would watch the masters. A kid flipping through the channels and watching golfers get booed and trying to get the crowd going may appeal to them. Idk just a thought also playing a little devils advocate to see your opinion on thag

Yea I like the idea and knowing me I would be right there in the middle of it. No doubt the 16 hole is a blast . I'm a renegade when it comes to some of the stiffness of golf day that includes stupid rules. Basic rules are necessary however doing stuff like banning belly putters and such is stupid IMO.

Cleveland

When it first started it was just a bunch of folks having a great time and everyone enjoyed it because it was different. With all of the publicity over the years it now seems rather contrived. I still think it's fun and takes some of the boring out of golf.

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

Yea I like the idea and knowing me I would be right there in the middle of it. No doubt the 16 hole is a blast . I'm a renegade when it comes to some of the stiffness of golf day that includes stupid rules. Basic rules are necessary however doing stuff like banning belly putters and such is stupid IMO.

Get rid of the groove rule and the anchoring too. Let's make the game harder. The anchoring thing baffles me. What was the percentage of tournaments that they “had an advantage” and won?

Get rid of the groove rule and the anchoring too. Let's make the game harder. The anchoring thing baffles me. What was the percentage of tournaments that they “had an advantage” and won?

Exactly!  Maybe they should ban regular putters and make everybody play anchored putters for a year.  Now that would be a hoot  ;) . I bet you'd see some gawd awful putting to say the least. 

Cleveland

I've been to the Masters twice as well. It's an amazing experience. I'd go again in a heartbeat. I enter the lottery every year. Totally different experience from the WMPO. Golf needs both. It's not either/or.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

This is my favorite non major BECAUSE of 16.

It's one hole where everyone can cut loose.

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

I got into a discussion with a member here probably a year ago about the anchoring "advantage" so to get an idea of actual numbers I went to the PGA site and looked at the last three years before the ban. I believe three of the top FIFTY all season were using an anchored putter. If it was that much of an advantage there would've been more using an anchored putter

I got into a discussion with a member here probably a year ago about the anchoring "advantage" so to get an idea of actual numbers I went to the PGA site and looked at the last three years before the ban. I believe three of the top FIFTY all season were using an anchored putter. If it was that much of an advantage there would've been more using an anchored putter

Boom!    It doesn't make any sense and when stuff like this started happening my thoughts about the USGA went south and quick. 

Has anyone played the 16th during the regular golfing season because I was wondering if the stadium setup remains year round?

Cleveland

Boom! It doesn't make any sense and when stuff like this started happening my thoughts about the USGA went south and quick.

Has anyone played the 16th during the regular golfing season because I was wondering if the stadium setup remains year round?

They start assembling the stadium in October. Takes about 2 months to completely take it down

They start assembling the stadium in October. Takes about 2 months to completely take it down

That's a ton of work so why don't they just leave it up year round?  If I was a tourist playing that course it would be so cool to walk in and play that hole with the stadium up. I could have my wife sitting in the stands and have her toss me a beer after my hole-in-one

Cleveland

That's a ton of work so why don't they just leave it up year round? If I was a tourist playing that course it would be so cool to walk in and play that hole with the stadium up. I could have my wife sitting in the stands and have her toss me a beer after my hole-in-one

Maybe have a cheering/clapping app so when you make that long putt you could get sound effects as well

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

For those that have never attended the WMPO and think the party atmosphere begins and ends at the 16th; you couldn't be more wrong. On the walk in from the parking areas, I witnessed throngs of ASU kids passing around handles of everclear and stumbling through the front gate, every time I made the trip. These people are not at all typical golf fans; the fellas put on their freshest pastels and the girls dress to the nines. Then they all get increasingly inebriated and proceed to talk so much crap about each other that by the end the week I'm feeling genuinely worried about the future of our country. When the marshals raise the “quiet please” signs, the ingrates consider that their cue to get loud and personally abusive toward whom ever happens to be making a swing (on every single hole). The behavior from a sizable cross-section of fans in attendance is borderline deplorable and I can't really see myself ever attending again. To each their own but for me personally, the event is a total sh!t show.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

Archived