16th at waste management

Our Sponsors

So I'd really like everyone's opinion on this hole. When I first started watching golf I really enjoyed this hole. I thought it was awesome how everyone was trashed yelling booing cheering whatever. The awesome videos of the drunk fans were all good and great. Now I must admit I think it's a little too much. I don't mind the cheering/booing but have some respect for these guys Jobs. Are people that dumb to yell in a backswing?

• Like 3
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Kind of long....   Interesting this topic came up as I was pondering this tournament and in particular the 16th hole. Just last night I thought to myself that it seems to be getting out of hand incr

That's a ton of work so why don't they just leave it up year round?  If I was a tourist playing that course it would be so cool to walk in and play that hole with the stadium up. I could have my wife

It probably is contrived now and a “made for TV showâ€� but I think it makes the Tournament interesting. Would I be there in line at 4am to get a seat, NFW.I'll be watching tomorrow.     Sent fr

I am perfectly fine with it. There's only one hole on the entire PGA Tour circuit like it. It's just so unique. The PGA Tour need stuff different from the typical — more match play or something. The fans love it and I think the players like it too. All of the guys out there get the same treatment so you can't say it's not fair.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

It's unique for sure. The one tournament that you can see the players personality a little. It is easy to tell the guys that don't care for it and the ones that embrace it like Rickie. Not any disrespect to the majors, but this is Golfs Super Bowl or World Series - at least for the fans. There's always the dummies that get a little to sauced up, you get that in all sports.

• Like 2

It is kinda fun and mixes up the stodginess of golf.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

:cobra-small: F Max 5 wood

:ping-small:  9 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*
:wilson-small: C300 4i-GP
:cleveland-small:  Wedges RTX 3.0: 52*, 56*
:ping-small: EYE 2 Wedge 60*

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain:

:SuperSpeed: Official Tester 2020   Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

I'm all for it. Like others have said, it's a nice change of pace and it's good to mix things up a bit. They really let Poulter hear it when he shanked it, but it's all in good fun.

• Like 2

:ping-small: G400 Max

:ping-small: G410 3W

:ping-small: G410 3 & 4 Crossover

:ping-small: i200 5-PW

:vokey-small: Vokey SM7 | 52-56-60

:taylormade-small: Taylormade Spider X

I love it. As a once a year thing, I love it. Now, we really don't need "Bababooey" or "mashed potatoes" at any other event, but it works here. The players know what's going to happen, and they can skip this event if they don't care for it.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

• Like 2

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
2 Iron - :mizuno-small: FliHi (18*) - Recoil 760 ( S )
4i - GW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
SW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :srixon-small: Z-Star XV
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I personally think it would be an awesome thing to be a part of. As a player 99.9% of the time you have a very quite setting. This hole brings out some fun. If you can't embrace it then you don't have to play in the event. But man what a way to grow a fan base.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Driver: Taylormade M6 10.5*

FW: Sub70 16* 4 wood

Irons:  Sub 70 

699 Pro - 3 Iron (4 iron bent to 20*)

639 CB 4 - 6

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges:

Titleist Vokey SM7 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Taylormade Spider
Ball: Titleist Pro V1X
Bag: Sub 70 Cart Bag
Handicap index:  +3.5

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

Yelling in the backswing is over the line, but everything else I love. Would I think it a bit much if they had a hole like this every other week? Absolutely. But for one tournament a year, it brings out emotion and character in some of the pros.

It also helps that it's a shorter hole. Hitting 5/6 vs 9/w makes it easier to hit the green. If it was a 190yd hole and pros were booed for every missed green, the stadium likely wouldn't have lasted

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Yea I like the idea of everybody throwing down on the 16th hole except not when a player is addressing the ball. Let him hit the frigging thing and them party hearty. What I want to know is how do all them drunk basta*ds get home!?  :blink:  

• Like 3

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway  XR16 4- Wood
Callaway Steelhead 3 Hybrid
Tommy Armour 845 MAX 5 - GW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 54 Degree SW
Tommy Armour Over N Out 58 Degree Lob
Wilson Harmonized Chipper 32 Degrees
Ping  Sigma G Tyne Putter OR Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide

Kind of long....

Interesting this topic came up as I was pondering this tournament and in particular the 16th hole. Just last night I thought to myself that it seems to be getting out of hand increasingly over the years. To me anyway. Personally, I'm not a big fan and here's why. Fans at some sporting events have gotten so rowdy and at times out of control with their behavior. Nothing new really but it's been increasing over time. I know this because I've lived long enough to have witnessed it first hand. Take football for example. It's an exciting sport (or used to be anyway). Fans cheered and yelled but generally kept their behavior in check. Every once in a while somebody dressed in a costume and would make the TV screen during a game. Eventually fans became more rowdy.... and drunk. Even though the fans were split between their support for one team or another they mostly behaved themselves and showed personal restraint toward each other and the players. Then I recall during one game back in the 80's a fan at a football game (Vikings? Giants? Can't recall) throwing a whiskey bottle at a ref in the end-zone. They missed. Then later it seemed fans elsewhere would throw other items out on the field or at players or refs. (batteries packed inside a snowball) Drunkenness, signage written with profanity, and general debauchery would break out. I've been told that just outside of the Philadelphia Eagles stadium there is a lockup or police booking station of some sort. Our society has become much more coarse and crude. Anyone ever been to a little league game or jr. football? I think you know what I mean. Especially older folks like myself. Younger people not so much... because for them or maybe you it's always been coarse or normal depending on your perspective and age. However, it's the reality we all have to live with. Like it or not. I'll say again... I'm not a fan really of the PGA's "experiment" on the 16th hole. I don't think it fits in with golf and doesn't impress me. I don't think it's "cool" or fun! However I do suggest a compromise for the PGA Tour. Why not just build a seperate par three hole at every tournament like #16 and let everyone assemble there who enjoy this type of behavior and display so they can get drunk, yell, boo, wear costumes, and perhaps even throw things if they want to? Wouldn't that be "cool?" 

As we all know, golf is different from other sports and that's a good thing IMO. I don't see the need by the PGA Tour to make special accomodations in an attempt to display to the world that golfers can be rowdy crude folks too; just like spectators at a football game. Golf isn't football. Anyone ever been to the Masters? Well I have - twice. It's not a PGA event. It's owned and run by the Masters organization at Augusta National Country Club. I've also been to many other tour events and they're nothing at all like the Masters. It's quiet and respectful at the Masters. Sure when great shots are made or an important putt holed the crowd (ehem..patrons) yell and clap. But, then it's quiet again. Try going around the grounds at the Masters yelling, "get in the hole" and see how long you last. The Masters is now considered a Throw-Back to earlier times. Some might even call it a relic of bygone era. But it's really not so much that... it's more like it should be. Most people that haven't ever had the opportunity to go to the Masters would be shocked how it's run and way the fans behave themselves. (if you don't you'll be tossed out on the curb but quick and banned) Sadly, you just don't see that anymore. Bad behavior is accepted for some reason. We collectively Put-Up with it. Why?

Have a great Saturday everyone and play well if you live some place that isn't frozen. Like me!  :D

• Like 6

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I like the 16th. Guys have some cool surprises and they seem to embrace it. I liked Rickie encouraging the crowd to make some noise during his swing. As long as A) the player wants it and B) they aren't doing it mid backswing or putt, I'm all for it.

• Like 2

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/Aldila Rogue Silver 110 MSI 70X Tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

Kind of long....

Interesting this topic came up as I was pondering this tournament and in particular the 16th hole. Just last night I thought to myself that it seems to be getting out of hand increasingly over the years. To me anyway. Personally, I'm not a big fan and here's why. Fans at some sporting events have gotten so rowdy and at times out of control with their behavior. Nothing new really but it's been increasing over time. I know this because I've lived long enough to have witnessed it first hand. Take football for example. It's an exciting sport (or used to be anyway). Fans cheered and yelled but generally kept their behavior in check. Every once in a while somebody dressed in a costume and would make the TV screen during a game. Eventually fans became more rowdy.... and drunk. Even though the fans were split between their support for one team or another they mostly behaved themselves and showed personal restraint toward each other and the players. Then I recall during one game back in the 80's a fan at a football game (Vikings? Giants? Can't recall) throwing a whiskey bottle at a ref in the end-zone. They missed. Then later it seemed fans elsewhere would throw other items out on the field or at players or refs. (batteries packed inside a snowball) Drunkenness, signage written with profanity, and general debauchery would break out. I've been told that just outside of the Philadelphia Eagles stadium there is a lockup or police booking station of some sort. Our society has become much more coarse and crude. Anyone ever been to a little league game or jr. football? I think you know what I mean. Especially older folks like myself. Younger people not so much... because for them or maybe you it's always been coarse or normal depending on your perspective and age. However, it's the reality we all have to live with. Like it or not. I'll say again... I'm not a fan really of the PGA's "experiment" on the 16th hole. I don't think it fits in with golf and doesn't impress me. I don't think it's "cool" or fun! However I do suggest a compromise for the PGA Tour. Why not just build a seperate par three hole at every tournament like #16 and let everyone assemble there who enjoy this type of behavior and display so they can get drunk, yell, boo, wear costumes, and perhaps even throw things if they want to? Wouldn't that be "cool?" 

As we all know, golf is different from other sports and that's a good thing IMO. I don't see the need by the PGA Tour to make special accomodations in an attempt to display to the world that golfers can be rowdy crude folks too; just like spectators at a football game. Golf isn't football. Anyone ever been to the Masters? Well I have - twice. It's not a PGA event. It's owned and run by the Masters organization at Augusta National Country Club. I've also been to many other tour events and they're nothing at all like the Masters. It's quiet and respectful at the Masters. Sure when great shots are made or an important putt holed the crowd (ehem..patrons) yell and clap. But, then it's quiet again. Try going around the grounds at the Masters yelling, "get in the hole" and see how long you last. The Masters is now considered a Throw-Back to earlier times. Some might even call it a relic of bygone era. But it's really not so much that... it's more like it should be. Most people that haven't ever had the opportunity to go to the Masters would be shocked how it's run and way the fans behave themselves. (if you don't you'll be tossed out on the curb but quick and banned) Sadly, you just don't see that anymore. Bad behavior is accepted for some reason. We collectively Put-Up with it. Why?

Have a great Saturday everyone and play well if you live where place that isn't frozen. Like me!  :D

You'd get ya arse thrown out at the practice range if your farted too loud.  The Masters is all about class. 

There were several fights this year at college football games that made the news.  I don't know about the rest of the nation however the SEC rivalries have become war zones.  Yea it's getting ridiculously out of hand.  Maybe they need to separate the fans and not let them sit in the same area in the stadiums .   The thing is some of the fans are not even drunk and still get pissed enough to fight if you taunt their team.  

• Like 1

Callaway  XR16 4- Wood

I think it's all personal preference. And that's ok. I happen to like it. Others such as plaid not so much. And that's ok.. I also happen to like the fact the Masters is the way it is..

But I think we all can agree that the 16th at the waste management is still a pretty cool hole, with the grandstands and all.. with or without the drunken fools..

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Cobra F8+ Driver Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedges 54* and 58* versatile grind

Snake eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Ole gray I think you've made some

Valid points and I agree I like the masters the way it is but Do you think it could also be them trying to grow the game. Giving the golfers some Personality making it more appealing to the younger guys/kids. Let's be honest I doubt a young kid who doesn't golf would watch the masters. A kid flipping through the channels and watching golfers get booed and trying to get the crowd going may appeal to them. Idk just a thought also playing a little devils advocate to see your opinion on thag

• Like 2

Been watching the 16th quite a bit these last two days, as it's a featured hole on the streaming coverage from PGA Tour Live.

Two major impressions from me.

First, while I like the idea of the 16th, that there's one hole a year at one tournament of the year where a different atmosphere prevails, there was something really negative feeling about watching it. The crowd seems far more eager to boo bad shots than they are to cheer good ones. It feels like a car race in which everyone is just there for the wrecks. For me, the feel is less fun. I guess the question is whether the booing feels like good natured ribbing, or whether the feel is more antagonistic. It seemed more like the latter to me, which removes some of the fun and charm from the 16th.

The other observation: absent the atmosphere and the grandstands, it's a pretty boring golf hole. Maybe it just comes from watching the same hole over and over. Maybe the announcers aren't doing enough to explain the strategy of the hole. But it just seems a kind of point and shoot par 3, where you either hit your target or you don't. For a hole with the kind of legendary status that the 16th has acquired, I'd hope for something more interesting just as a hole.

Sent from my LG-G5 using the MyGolfSpy mobile app.

• Like 2

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 9°, Aldila Rogue White 70 X
:taylormade-small: M4 3HL 16.5°, Atmos Red 60
:cobra-small: F6 5-6W, 19.5°, Fujikura Motore 6.3
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20°, Project X HZRDUS 85 5.5
:Sub70: 699 Pro, Modus3 105, 5–PW
:Sub70: Forged Black 50°, 54°, and 58°
:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab EXO Seven Mini, 34"
:srixon-small: Z-Star XV

Ole gray I think you've made some

Valid points and I agree I like the masters the way it is but Do you think it could also be them trying to grow the game. Giving the golfers some Personality making it more appealing to the younger guys/kids. Let's be honest I doubt a young kid who doesn't golf would watch the masters. A kid flipping through the channels and watching golfers get booed and trying to get the crowd going may appeal to them. Idk just a thought also playing a little devils advocate to see your opinion on thag

Yea I like the idea and knowing me I would be right there in the middle of it. No doubt the 16 hole is a blast . I'm a renegade when it comes to some of the stiffness of golf day that includes stupid rules. Basic rules are necessary however doing stuff like banning belly putters and such is stupid IMO.

• Like 3

Callaway  XR16 4- Wood

When it first started it was just a bunch of folks having a great time and everyone enjoyed it because it was different. With all of the publicity over the years it now seems rather contrived. I still think it's fun and takes some of the boring out of golf.

• Like 3

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

Yea I like the idea and knowing me I would be right there in the middle of it. No doubt the 16 hole is a blast . I'm a renegade when it comes to some of the stiffness of golf day that includes stupid rules. Basic rules are necessary however doing stuff like banning belly putters and such is stupid IMO.

Get rid of the groove rule and the anchoring too. Let's make the game harder. The anchoring thing baffles me. What was the percentage of tournaments that they “had an advantage” and won?

• Like 2