Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Does Jordan Spieth have the yips?

Kenny B

To put it mildly... Jordan Spieth hasn't had his best putting lately.  In 2017, he had an OK year for putting but not spectacular.

Strokes Gained ranking     42

3-Putt Avoidance ranking    7

Total Putting                       68

In 2018 it's a different story

Strokes Gained ranking      195

3-Putt Avoidance ranking   190

Total Putting                        202

If you watched him putt at the WMPO last week, he missed the cut at Even Par.  Missed many short putts; his stroke didn't look the same as I remember it.  

He obviously knows he has a putting problem. He has to get this worked out soon with the Masters coming up, but he is playing Pebble Beach this week and those Poa Anna greens do not seem like the best venue to work out putting woes.  So, does he have a problem, or is it like JT said and it's nothing to be worried about.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To put it mildly... Jordan Spieth hasn't had his best putting lately.  In 2017, he had an OK year for putting but not spectacular.

Strokes Gained ranking     42

3-Putt Avoidance ranking    7

Total Putting                       68

In 2018 it's a different story

Strokes Gained ranking      195

3-Putt Avoidance ranking   190

Total Putting                        202

If you watched him putt at the WMPO last week, he missed the cut at Even Par.  Missed many short putts; his stroke didn't look the same as I remember it.  

He obviously knows he has a putting problem. He has to get this worked out soon with the Masters coming up, but he is playing Pebble Beach this week and those Poa Anna greens do not seem like the best venue to work out putting woes.  So, does he have a problem, or is it like JT said and it's nothing to be worried about.

I seem to recall them (Nobilo?) talking about his putting stats a couple weeks ago and I can't remember the exact details, but the point was he was not a great short putter (

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

He doesn't have the yips, just not a great start to 2018. Remember, the season only just started. He has a lot of time to turn things around.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Yes, he has only played in 3 tournaments; but that's 10 rounds of golf.  I can understand Spieth having a slow start, maybe a bad round or two.  But a pro of his caliber should be able to put together a decent round now and then.  He is at the bottom of the tour, but I guess one can say he can only get better.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I wouldn't say he has the yips, but there is something definitely wrong with his putting at the moment. The stats clearly show that. It will be interesting to see when he gets it figured out, could be a long couple months for him.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I think Jordan is a streaky putter inside if 10 feet and a fantastic lag putter. I think people think he is a great putter due to the video where they show his 0'd out puttlab stroke. All your pros are good putters, he just doesn't convert the 10 footers at the rate of the exceptional putters. I'd also be interested in proximity to hole numbers to see how close he is hitting it to the hole. Too early in the season to worry about those rankings, not sure there enough data to compare last year and this year.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Spieth is the Phil of today

A great iron player who everyone thinks is a great putter when he's not - in fact he is a below average short putter. Very good if not great mid ranged putter.

I would wait a while, like until after the Masters - to become overly concerned about his putting.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Anyone that compares these “new age” golfers to anyone of the past is tarnishing the name of golf. Most recently the Seve / Spieth comparisons. It drives me nuts.

None of these guys could play with the equipment that Hogan, Arnie, Seve, Jack played with and anywhere near the result they are having with this MOI and 460cc crap.

I'm sorry but I'd take Seve in 100/100 over Jordan within 100 yards of the green.

He doesn't have the yips, just not a great start to 2018. Remember, the season only just started. He has a lot of time to turn things around.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

GJ302 I agree with your assessment. There's still a lot of Tournaments and all the Majors to go.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Anyone that compares these “new age” golfers to anyone of the past is tarnishing the name of golf. Most recently the Seve / Spieth comparisons. It drives me nuts.

None of these guys could play with the equipment that Hogan, Arnie, Seve, Jack played with and anywhere near the result they are having with this MOI and 460cc crap.

I'm sorry but I'd take Seve in 100/100 over Jordan within 100 yards of the green.

I love your appreciation of the history of golf, but this is really baseless.  How do you know what the guys of today would do with different equipment?   Different eras, different play styles, and so many other different variables.  And this just isn't with golf - it's all sports.  I think it's fun to compare guys across eras, but making blanket statements about who is better just doesn't hold any water.  

It is unfair to compare the history to these guys.

It does hold water, because Seve is the one they compare short game too. Next it will be Phil. None of these guys are near as impressive as Seve, or Phil for that matter.

Let's compare a semi truck to a Mini Cooper. That's the driver analogy.

I could go on, but I'm sure it's baseless.

He's clearly off but it was only one tourny

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

I think Jordan is a streaky putter inside if 10 feet and a fantastic lag putter. I think people think he is a great putter due to the video where they show his 0'd out puttlab stroke. All your pros are good putters, he just doesn't convert the 10 footers at the rate of the exceptional putters. I'd also be interested in proximity to hole numbers to see how close he is hitting it to the hole. Too early in the season to worry about those rankings, not sure there enough data to compare last year and this year.

I am a Jordan Spieth fan.  I know some people don't like him, but he is definitely talented.  However, I am worried that something is up with his putting stroke.  I know it's early in his season, but it's also early in other pros' seasons too.  He hasn't been this poor of a putter since he turned pro.  Something is up; I can feel it.

Yes, he has been streaky... from all distances.  He is #1 in GIR, and he is #19 in average distance from the hole at 35 feet.  But he is #202 in total putting.  That ain't right!!  Everyone says he is great from middle distance 15-25 feet (and he has been), but this year so far, he is #129 from 15-20 feet, and has only made 1 putt from 20-25 feet.  How about

If he is working on his putting issues and I'm sure he is, I'm not sure that playing at the ATT Pebble Beach is going to help him. Those greens are difficult to putt, especially late in the day.  I know he has done well there, but not with a putting stroke that he doesn't feel comfortable with.  I hope he proves me wrong and does well, but if he misses the cut because of his putting, I don't give him much of a chance at the Masters.

I am a Jordan Spieth fan. I know some people don't like him, but he is definitely talented. However, I am worried that something is up with his putting stroke. I know it's early in his season, but it's also early in other pros' seasons too. He hasn't been this poor of a putter since he turned pro. Something is up; I can feel it.

Yes, he has been streaky... from all distances. He is #1 in GIR, and he is #19 in average distance from the hole at 35 feet. But he is #202 in total putting. That ain't right!! Everyone says he is great from middle distance 15-25 feet (and he has been), but this year so far, he is #129 from 15-20 feet, and has only made 1 putt from 20-25 feet. How about

If he is working on his putting issues and I'm sure he is, I'm not sure that playing at the ATT Pebble Beach is going to help him. Those greens are difficult to putt, especially late in the day. I know he has done well there, but not with a putting stroke that he doesn't feel comfortable with. I hope he proves me wrong and does well, but if he misses the cut because of his putting, I don't give him much of a chance at the Masters.

Yes his numbers are off from last year. I still would say there aren't enough numbers to compare to last year. He has played in 4 of 14 events. A poor day or 2 will make the numbers jump significantly. Looking at overall performance you can see players rising or falling 50+ spots. That won't happen as the numbers become statistically meaningful.

Maybe there is something going on, but I still think it is too early to evaluate stats for overall performance

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

It's gotta be women. I can't putt that great either. .. lol. But I can skull shots and slice like a mother.. lol..

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

He got engaged and now he can't putt. I'm married and can't putt either dang women! It's all their fault I'm sure of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never tied those two together. Will have to give the bad news to my wife.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

It does hold water, because Seve is the one they compare short game too. Next it will be Phil. None of these guys are near as impressive as Seve, or Phil for that matter.

I would respectfully disagree - Spieth's short game and Phil's are extremely comparable. In fact their games are comparable across the board with Phil being a bit longer (relatively speaking) and Spieth the better putter. Spieth is way ahead of Phil at this point.

Seve had a remarkable short game beyond a doubt.

For my money Tiger had the best short game of anyone whom I ever saw. And I saw Seve and Phil - live and on TV.

I'd be careful of absolutes. It's very hard to say how any player would fare in a different era. It's like saying I would have been a great Revolutionary War figure.

Not likely - I had measles - I wouldn't have made it out of childhood.

:)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

depends on if you're pulling an oversized load or driving in the city. You'll never catch me driving a mini cooper though let's just get that out there.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

He'll be fine, but to me it always seems like guys with lots of forward press are streaky putters, Stockton excluded. I don't see how it can NOT affect their aim. I know that Phil was definitely a streaky guy when he put a lot of forward press in his stroke.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

He got engaged and now he can't putt. I'm married and can't putt either dang women! It's all their fault I'm sure of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was going to say the exact same thing!

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

Back to Speith, if you watch him putt, from any distance, you can clearly see there is something not right, he has always been sort of a average putter inside 5 feet. I don't care about the numbers comparison from this year to last year, I don't need numbers to see and watch that there is something off within his putting stroke. I am sure he is working on it, and at some point will get it right.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Back to Speith, if you watch him putt, from any distance, you can clearly see there is something not right, he has always been sort of a average putter inside 5 feet. I don't care about the numbers comparison from this year to last year, I don't need numbers to see and watch that there is something off within his putting stroke. I am sure he is working on it, and at some point will get it right.

What you are probably seeing is a lack of trust related to some changes he has made and his tinkering with the stroke during the round to try and make corrections.

I would liken it to Rory and his complete stroke overhaul. Until he trusts the stroke completely he will have a tendency to fall into old habits when pressure increases.

It kind of amazes me that these guys that climb to number 1 can never stay there. Except for my man DJ! Must be the hot wife keeping him there

He could lose it this week.

Archived