Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Does Jordan Spieth have the yips?

Kenny B

A lot of talk about Jordan Spieth this week as he starts the new year.  I'm sure the conversation will continue on this week in the Sony Open thread depending on how well he does, but I've been tracking his stats for the last couple of years.

Strokes Gained ranking     42
3-Putt Avoidance ranking    7
Total Putting                       68

In 2018 it's a different story

Strokes Gained ranking     123
3-Putt Avoidance ranking   141
Total Putting                         118

He improved late in 2018 over early 2018, but the rest of his game requires a good short game, and he hasn't demonstrated that recently.

Good luck this week playing with Gary Woodland and Bryson D'

Can’t question the numbers, but unless you give numbers specific to Jordan the drop in ranking could also be attributed to the field playing better. It is probably a combination of both.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Can’t question the numbers, but unless you give numbers specific to Jordan the drop in ranking could also be attributed to the field playing better. It is probably a combination of both.

Can a player have these numbers and still win; maybe if they get hot for one week.  Spieth is still pretty good SG tee to green, but he can't score like he used to.

Now that he's married, maybe he has settled down and can focus better.  The Sony Open should be a good indicator.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

4 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I agree with the sentiment that it is probably a combination. I went to the PGA website to see the actual numbers instead of rankings. The data below is the total strokes gained putting.

2017 (As of 10/1/17)

RANK THIS WEEK PLAYER NAME ROUNDS AVERAGE TOTAL SG:PUTTING MEASURED ROUNDS
1 Michael Thompson 60 0.84 36.94 44
2 Rickie Fowler 78 0.812 47.934 59
3 Luke Donald 50 0.704 30.285 43
4 Graeme McDowell 56 0.599 28.775 48
5 Brian Harman 104 0.568 46.581 82
6 Shane Lowry 52 0.545 18.544 34
T7 Jonas Blixt 74 0.536 31.627 59
T7 Patrick Reed 107 0.536 42.917 80
9 Rafa Cabrera Bello 63 0.515 21.632 42
10 Brooks Koepka 88 0.505 31.793 63
39 Jordan Spieth 85 0.339 21.727

2018 (As of 9/30/18)

RANK THIS WEEK PLAYER NAME ROUNDS AVERAGE TOTAL SG:PUTTING MEASURED ROUNDS
1 Greg Chalmers 56 0.79 32.387 41
2 Jason Day 75 0.77 37.72 49
3 Alex Noren 67 0.758 37.154 49
4 Daniel Summerhays 51 0.736 27.965 38
5 Webb Simpson 95 0.692 56.017 81
6 Beau Hossler 104 0.685 61.617 90
7 Johnson Wagner 75 0.623 34.291 55
8 Peter Malnati 87 0.619 46.409 75
9 Patrick Rodgers 97 0.561 40.931 73
10 Emiliano Grillo 94 0.546 39.84 73
T123 Jordan Spieth 81 -0.034 -2.224

I averaged the entire field for each year and found that the total strokes gained improved by over a stroke (2.43 in 2017 versus 3.57 in 2018). At the same time, Spieth went the other direction by over 0.35 strokes. If Spieth had maintained his 2017 putting stats in 2018, he would have ended up in 34th - a slight improvement over 2017. While the entire field improved, this tells me most of the improvement came from the lower 2/3 of the field.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Spieth didn’t make a lot of long putts which he was one of the best at which in turned made his short putting stats worse which was just ok at.  His issue per him and his coach was s setup issue and it took him a long time to get straight. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Not a great start in Hawaii - he tied for 53rd after 4. But then so are BD and Bubba. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

He’ll get figured out and be a force again. He’s too good not to. Gotta admit I am a bit biased though lol.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

He's had an "alignment issue" for a year.  I had one once; figured it out after 9-holes.

He has to go low tomorrow to make the cut.  Missing the cut will not help his confidence.  I keep bringing up Jordan Spieth because I really like the guy, even when it talks to the ball.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Interestingly, I just finished reading "The Lost Art of Putting" and Speith was mentioned as an example of a great putter. Obviously the book was written several years ago.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

I actually just read an article that statistically refutes the notion that Spieth has the yips.

He was in the top 10 of strokes gained putting inside of 8 feet (the yip zone) and has been a well above average putter since last May.

Statistically his tee to green ball (what often separates players) has been terrible and he has not recaptured his other worldly strokes gained putting from 15-25 feet.

So you can buy into the yips thing - he did struggle with the putter the first 1/3 of last season or go with the numbers that say his ball striking is off.

Either way I’m in Kenny’s camp of being a Spieth fan and would like to see him return to form. Personally I think he looked at the other guys at the top, saw how far they hit it and tried to chase distance rather than continuing to work on his strengths.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

50 minutes ago, revkev said:

I actually just read an article that statistically refutes the notion that Spieth has the yips.

He was in the top 10 of strokes gained putting inside of 8 feet (the yip zone) and has been a well above average putter since last May.

Statistically his tee to green ball (what often separates players) has been terrible and he has not recaptured his other worldly strokes gained putting from 15-25 feet.

So you can buy into the yips thing - he did struggle with the putter the first 1/3 of last season or go with the numbers that say his ball striking is off.

Either way I’m in Kenny’s camp of being a Spieth fan and would like to see him return to form. Personally I think he looked at the other guys at the top, saw how far they hit it and tried to chase distance rather than continuing to work on his strengths.

Curiously, in 2018 Spieth's ranking was:

5 footers:   57th
4 footers:   127th
3 footers:   181st

As good a putter as Spieth was when he came on tour, those ranking numbers is not a recipe for winning tournaments.

I agree that he probably spent the last year and a half trying to chase distance.  As a result his approach shots weren't as good, he's putting for birdie from further away, and that equals more 3-putts with that poor short range performance.  

Remember when he used to look at the hole on short putts?  Last year he quit doing that, then he seemed to go back to it for awhile, then not again.  I think he has lost his way on short putts.  

I started looking at the hole when putting mostly because Spieth did.  Initially, it was fine for short putts. but there is a range where it becomes uncomfortable.  Eventually, I got through that and now putt looking at the hole on all putts. Now I have trouble when I stop looking at the hole.  I wonder if Spieth is having trouble from short range because he made the switch, and it's not comfortable anymore.

1 hour ago, revkev said:

I'm assuming you mean the article over on GolfWRX. I read it too. I forget exactly what Spieth's schedule was like last year, but the sample size did seem a tad small. Regardless, you can still see a clear trend in the latter half of the season where his putting improved and his long game fell off. I have little doubt he'll get it all back. I think he just fell into the Tiger trap of looking for improvement where little was needed after 2015 & 2016. He's smart, he'll figure it out.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

I'm assuming you mean the article over on GolfWRX. I read it too. I forget exactly what Spieth's schedule was like last year, but the sample size did seem a tad small. Regardless, you can still see a clear trend in the latter half of the season where his putting improved and his long game fell off. I have little doubt he'll get it all back. I think he just fell into the Tiger trap of looking for improvement where little was needed after 2015 & 2016. He's smart, he'll figure it out.

Yes that was the article -
@Kenny if you were to break down those numbers by the half year there was a marked improvement in the second half of the season. He was an above average putter the second half of the season.

Jordan is the modern Phil in this regard. People thought he was a much better putter than he was. Short putting has never been a strength. Mid range yes, short no.

Like all golf it’s about the ball striking. If you don’t hit it well putting doesn’t matter all that much.

Think of it this way - if it takes me 2 shots to get to 20 feet and you 3 you are never making that up with putting - maybe on a particular hole but over time you’ll get crushed.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

1 hour ago, revkev said:

Yes that was the article -
@Kenny if you were to break down those numbers by the half year there was a marked improvement in the second half of the season. He was an above average putter the second half of the season.

Jordan is the modern Phil in this regard. People thought he was a much better putter than he was. Short putting has never been a strength. Mid range yes, short no.

Like all golf it’s about the ball striking. If you don’t hit it well putting doesn’t matter all that much.

Think of it this way - if it takes me 2 shots to get to 20 feet and you 3 you are never making that up with putting - maybe on a particular hole but over time you’ll get crushed.

I disagree that short putting wasn't his strength. He was good enough putting from short range with his iron and wedge play when he was winning.  Currently, he isn't good enough with his short putting to make up for shortcomings in the rest of his game.

Rank
                  3'           4'  
2015        33          26
2016        87          42
2017          7        117
2018      181       127

I don't disagree about 2 vs 3 shots to get to 20 feet, but if we both hit it to 30 feet and I make that 3 footer for for par more ofter than you do, then putting matters a lot.  Jordan misses too many 3 footers, and it's hard to watch.

• 3 weeks later...
It’s something we would have problems with not a pro. Somethings messing with his head.

Isn’t that what the yips are? Yes, there’s some physical manipulation of the putter that causes misses, but isn’t that driven by some mental insecurities?

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

Jordan hasn’t really changed much from inside the 10’ range. He’s not making nearly the amount of putts in the 20+’ range like we are used to.  

He has/had a setup issue and from what I understand it has to do with what eye is dominant and if his setup/alignment is off so is his putting.  He tried to fix it last year with his coach and they got it somewhat straightened out.

hes a good example of how that part of the game affected other parts 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

6 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Jordan hasn’t really changed much from inside the 10’ range. He’s not making nearly the amount of putts in the 20+’ range like we are used to.  

He has/had a setup issue and from what I understand it has to do with what eye is dominant and if his setup/alignment is off so is his putting.  He tried to fix it last year with his coach and they got it somewhat straightened out.

He was a much better putter from inside 5 feet for the first few years on tour than he was in 2018.  If he had a setup issue, he hasn't fixed in in a year.  He was a little better late last year until he missed the Tour Championship.  Now he seems to be back in his funk again for some reason.

On 1/28/2019 at 3:44 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

I think I had heard the same exact thing about it being an alignment issue. Last weekend he basically tore up the easier North Course on Thursday for a -7 and was E the last three rounds on the harder South Course. From what I watched it looked like he sprayed his tee ball all over the place. His 2019 stats seem to back that up, Shots gained putting (0.262) and Shots gained approach the green (.137) are the only areas where he's gaining strokes on the field. 

I'm hoping he's getting it figured out and with anything like the yips that might be more mental than physical, a good dose of good play will wipe all those bad mental thoughts out. Confidence kills doubt. 

:callaway-small: Rogue LS 9° Driver, X stiff KuroKage
:ping-small: G410 17° & 19° hybrid, X stiff
:mizuno-small:  JPX-921 Tours 4 iron thru PW, Modus 105 X stiff
:mizuno-small:  S18 50°, 56° & 60°
 :bettinardi-1: Single Stock #3 34.5" putter

2019 MSG Forum Tester- Bridgestone e12

2021 Callaway Epic Max LS Driver Test

• 3 weeks later...

He is next to last in putts from 4 feet;  misses more than 1 out of every 4 putts.  

IF he makes the weekend, he is over par on Sat and Sun.  

Can't be him; must be time to fire Greller or McCormick.  

"Nothing is as good as it seems, and nothing is as bad as it seems.  Somewhere in-between lies reality." ~Lou Holtz~

I think Spieth is closer than the numbers suggest.  He has a mind that is constantly going.  He needs to get back to shutting his mind off and letting his game come to him rather than trying to force the action.  When he does that, the results will follow.

They didn't show much of him today. But what they did show was him missing putts in a big way. I mean missing 5 footers and leaving 3 ft comebacks, It wasn't even close. I'm not sure what's going on with him but it's not getting better week to week...they didn't show any of him from the tee or fairway so I'm not sure about that part of his game. 

RH:

Driver: :cobra-small: F9 9.0º - 14g Low - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Woods: :cobra-small: F9 3W - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Hybrids: :cobra-small:  F9 3H - Aldila Green X

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 One Length 4-PW - Modus3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cobra-small: King Wedges 50º/54º/58º Versatile

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne 35"

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

#cobraconnect19

10 hours ago, bardle said:

They didn't show much of him today. But what they did show was him missing putts in a big way. I mean missing 5 footers and leaving 3 ft comebacks, It wasn't even close. I'm not sure what's going on with him but it's not getting better week to week...they didn't show any of him from the tee or fairway so I'm not sure about that part of his game. 

I think he's lost all confidence and is now questioning every chip and putt. He needs to step away for a while and spend some time with a sports psychologist. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

He’s getting married. Different priorities.

He’ll be back.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P, follow along!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

5 minutes ago, bens197 said:

He’s getting married. Different priorities.

He’ll be back.

They got married last November. Honeymoon and holidays are over! I know he'll be back then question is how long it'll take. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart