TESTERS WANTED! ×

F8 One Length Irons

So I had some time to kill the other day so I hit Golfers Warehouse in RI. They just got the F8 One Length Irons in and they gave me the set and left me alone in a bay. I really don't trust the monitors there but regardless out of the box I was pretty much down the middle with center of the face contact with every iron.

I've been eyeing single length Irons for awhile so it was great to see these results. Question is with those initial results do I pull the trigger and buy or get fit at Pete's on Long Island?

Nice thing about Golfers Warehouse is a 90 day return policy so if they are a bust I take them back and blow the credit at the store. With Pete's I'm all in.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

So I had some time to kill the other day so I hit Golfers Warehouse in RI. They just got the F8 One Length Irons in and they gave me the set and left me alone in a bay. I really don't trust the monitors there but regardless out of the box I was pretty much down the middle with center of the face contact with every iron.

I've been eyeing single length Irons for awhile so it was great to see these results. Question is with those initial results do I pull the trigger and buy or get fit at Pete's on Long Island?

Nice thing about Golfers Warehouse is a 90 day return policy so if they are a bust I take them back and blow the credit at the store. With Pete's I'm all in.

Thoughts?

If you can, I'd get fit. I got fit for single length irons last year in Cranston at spargo and ended up with the Wishon over the Cobra...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

If I went with the single length iron's I would get fit for sure.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

I've been playing SL Cobras for a year now.  I ordered the set to the same specs as my old, variable length 8 iron.  If you haven't been fit in the past, I would wait and get fit.  The shaft made a huge difference in my shot dispersion when I was doing my fitting with my old irons.  I ordered the same shaft in the SL.  

GET FIT... seriously. Get a shaft that's going to work with all of those irons. I love the One Length Cobra F7, F8's are probably just as good if not better.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

If you can, I'd get fit. I got fit for single length irons last year in Cranston at spargo and ended up with the Wishon over the Cobra...

Does Spargo offer Cobra to compare?

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Does Spargo offer Cobra to compare?

Not sure...they didn't have them last year since they were just released but if you give them a call they'll tell you. They're one of the few Wishon fitters in the area and that's why I went there. Tom Wishon is very particular about his equipment.

Joe & Leigh's has the Cobra SL and they're pretty good at fitting. In Easton ma

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Thanks Stroker, I'll give them a call. Was fit for Mizunos at Spargo last year. Just wish Mr. Spargo did the fitting himself. Just wasn't much interaction with the kid who fit me.

You guys playing one length loving, hating or meh on them?

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Thanks Stroker, I'll give them a call. Was fit for Mizunos at Spargo last year. Just wish Mr. Spargo did the fitting himself. Just wasn't much interaction with the kid who fit me.

I agree! I must've had the same kid and feel the same. Knowledgeable but I had to push him a lot on the q&a...

Liking the SLI so far... pretty much point and shoot.. much easier with the longer clubs. Didn't really have a problem with the longer short irons.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Not to toot my own horn but... toot toot

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

I hit the F7 one length and I didn't mind the 7-wedges. However, the longer irons didn't have the height or distance. Maybe look at something with the same weight or close and a little softer tip in the lower lofts.

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

I'm firmly in the loving the SL camp.  They are not for everyone.  But they sure work for me.  

I ordered the F8 SL Hybrids as well.  After 3 range sessions with them, I'm thinking they will fit in nicely with the set.  

Here is a review I posted earlier on MGS about the F7 irons:

"Several years ago I tried single length irons.  I liked the concept, but I hated the heads on the clubs.  They were super game improvement clubs and I couldn't really feel where on the club face I was making contact.  I sent the clubs back with in the trial period.  But, I told my self that if a company ever came out with a set of "players" clubs, I would try them again.  

Fast forward to 2017.  I ordered a set of one length irons from Cobra.  I received them in February.  I now play with the forged set LW through 7 iron and the cast set in 6 and 5 iron. I worked with the new clubs over the winter in Florida and am now playing them in-between rain drops in the Midwest.  So my view is based on 3 months of practice and play.  

Over all I really like the irons.  It took a few weeks to get used to the new irons.  No surprise there.  I practiced by randomly lining up the irons and grabbing one to hit without even looking at the number on the club.  This helped to get me to swing each club like a seven iron.  Nevertheless, when I started hitting to specific targets, I still had a bit of a mental block to overcome--the 5 iron just seemed too short to go 180 yards and I'd swing too hard until I got used to it.  Now that I have adjusted, it is no problem,  

The 5 and 6 iron do fly a bit low compared to my previous irons, but that is more than compensated for by improved ball striking.  The gaping is different from my previous irons, but it is an even gapping.  The irons are different lofts from my previous set, so the difference was expected.  

Regarding the high lofted irons and wedges:  I absolutely love them.  I cannot imagine going back to short shafted wedges, ever.  I'm 6' 2" and used to get a sore back from practicing chipping and pitching.  No more.  My wedge play has improved dramatically.  I am definitely making better contact throughout the set.  The wedges do go higher than my old set, but it hasn't really been a problem.  I've played on a couple of really windy days, and it hasn't been a problem.  I can hit all the shots I hit with my regular set--low, medium or high--I'm just making a lot better contact.  

One of the biggest advantages of the set is with practice.  I no longer have to work my way up the set.  The wedge and the 5 iron set up the same.  The swing is the same.  I spend much less time hitting different irons which frees up time to work on the short game, hybrids and woods.  

Interestingly, my ball striking with my woods and hybrids as also improved a bit.  I think I just get used to a smooth, consistent swing with the irons that transfers to the other clubs.

The irons aren't without drawbacks.  The low lofted irons do fly lower and the wedges do fly higher.  Even the forged one length irons don't feel as good as my old irons, but I've adjusted to that.  On balance, however, the downside is more than made up for with better ball striking.  The rounds I've played this year are all under my average from last year, and one round was the lowest I have shot in three years.  Not all of this improvement can be attributed to the clubs, I have been working on my over all approach to the game.  But, some of the improvement is directly because of the shift to one length.  

I ordered the irons in the standard length, which for me makes the irons my 8 iron length.  (I normally play clubs 1/2 inch long.) Tom Wishon recommends the 8 iron length for his Sterling irons.  I hit my standard 8 iron better than my 7, so I went with the shorter length.  

To sum up my views:  the irons have been good for my game.  They have some drawbacks, but those are made up for because of better ball striking through the set."  

Year End Update:

I ended 2017 with my scoring average 9.3 strokes better than in 2016.  Again, not all of this improvement is attributable to the switch to SL, but some is.  Golf is just easier for me with SL irons through the bag. I took the irons to Ireland last September and played in strong winds and shot much better than on previous trips, even though the high lofted irons go higher than my old set.  YMMV.  To be frank, I don't see myself ever going back to standard length irons.   

Wow alfriday.....that was very informative. Thank you for sharing.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Check out this podcast...

http://jaacobbowden.com/GolfBlog_files/golf-smarter-podcast-fred-greene-jaacob-bowden-sterling-irons.html

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Archived