Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Two Products w/ Opposite Technologies Claiming Same Improvement

null

Maybe it's two different ways to get a similar benefit for two different types of golfers. They're not both saying you'll hit it 300+ yards. It's just relative to the target golfer.

ie. Bouncy face helps slow swing speeds and Stiff face helps fast swing speeds.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Maybe it's two different ways to get a similar benefit for two different types of golfers. They're not both saying you'll hit it 300+ yards. It's just relative to the target golfer.

But neither are marketed like that.

And Jame Sadlowski (of former long drive fame) is gaming the Launcher HB

We've been down those road with other products - technologies. Sometimes the claims are lost on me, other times I say, BS. I've always though Srixon's claim that a tour ball might hurt players was BS, I still do.

I don't know what to think here.

I do know that I tend to hit certain brands of drivers better than others. I'm sure it's because their theory fits my swing.

I have never met a Callaway or Cobra driver that I hit well. That's just me though.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

The same can be said with feel. Take Titleist's Active Recoil Channel vs Nike's Compression Channel. The 915 flexes at impact, providing softer feel. While the Nike Channel doesn't flex as much, thereby giving it harsher feel and sound. Both are intended to reduce yardage lost on mishits, but majority agree the Titleist is better in many facets.

WITB 2021
Driver: Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 9* w/ C.Kua Stiff

FW: Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 15* w/ C.Kua Stiff

HY: Cleveland Launcher Halo 19* w/ C.Kua Stiff 

Irons: Titleist 716 AP1 4-PW w/ KBS 90 Stiff

Wedges: Vokey SM8 50*, 54*, & 60^

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Laguna 2 OR OG Futura

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1/V1x OR Chrome Soft TT

Bag: Sun Mountain 2019 4.5 14way carry

Clothes: Nike OR Under Armour 

HiBore crown lets the crown of the driver flex.  Jailbreak keeps the face of the driver stiff.

It's a small differentiation, but to me it seems like they are two different things, one is about the face and one is about the crown.

I'd also say, especially with golf, there are multiple ways to get to the same point.  Also like Rev mentioned some types of technology will be better for certain golfers.  Look at CG locations within drivers as an example.  When SLDR came out TM said low and forward was the best thing.  At the same time Ping keeps pushing it low and rearward.  Completely different messages and yet both successful.  One works better for some guys, one works better for other guys.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

HiBore crown lets the crown of the driver flex. Jailbreak keeps the face of the driver stiff.

It's a small differentiation, but to me it seems like they are two different things, one is about the face and one is about the crown.

I'd also say, especially with golf, there are multiple ways to get to the same point. Also like Rev mentioned some types of technology will be better for certain golfers. Look at CG locations within drivers as an example. When SLDR came out TM said low and forward was the best thing. At the same time Ping keeps pushing it low and rearward. Completely different messages and yet both successful. One works better for some guys, one works better for other guys.

the jailbreak is connected to the crown and sole, stabilizing the crown and sole so it doesn't flex, thus, in theory, keeping energy transfer at the face - it doesn't make the face stiffer, it makes the rest of the club that supports the face stiffer.

"at impact, jailbreak keeps the crown and sole from bulging"

https://youtu.be/95JBK1FjMtc

When I was 18, I could carry my GBB driver 270 with a Titleist Professional 90 ball. Now that I'm 36, I hit my Titleist 913 270 with a Vice Pro Plus. What's changed? The ball. Better ball technology has given us distance. Driver technology hit its climax when COR rules were challenged and sustained with the R500 series.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

When I was 18, I could carry my GBB driver 270 with a Titleist Professional 90 ball. Now that I'm 36, I hit my Titleist 913 270 with a Vice Pro Plus. What's changed? The ball. Better ball technology has given us distance. Driver technology hit its climax when COR rules were challenged and sustained with the R500 series.

I think that's an over-generalization to place all the distance on the ball. 

Shafts have vastly improved and become more stable.

Balls have definitely improved.

Perhaps you're in better shape than you were at 18. 

Distance is a funny thing...what you say you hit versus what you actually hit is usually off by 10% among amateurs. 

Your swing may have changed since you were 18. 

There's a lot of variables that come into play when discussing driver distance over a span of two decades. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

Back on topic - we have two conflicting theories:

Stable Crown/chasis = more ball speed

Flexible Crown/chasis = more ball speed

Can both be right?  I assume they could, but it would be an interesting head to head test.  Obviously shaft type and length would need to be neutralized in order to eliminate as many variables as possible.

I think that's an over-generalization to place all the distance on the ball.

Shafts have vastly improved and become more stable.

Balls have definitely improved.

Perhaps you're in better shape than you were at 18.

Distance is a funny thing...what you say you hit versus what you actually hit is usually off by 10% among amateurs.

Your swing may have changed since you were 18.

There's a lot of variables that come into play when discussing driver distance over a span of two decades.

I am shaped much differently than I was in high school :)

It's definitely a generalization but the overwhelming theme is that if you tested new drivers with a ball from 18 years ago vs a GBB hitting current ProV1's or take your pick, the new ball would clearly win.

Titleist 913D3 8.5 Whiteboard X

Titleist 904F GD YS-7 S

PING i5 3-7 green 8-P blue ZZ65

Mizuno T-7 52

Cleveland 588 RTX 58

PING Anser 2

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Maybe someone should start a driver company that incorporates all the technology from each company into one new "loaded" driver each year. Why settle for one or two innovations or technologies when one club has it all?

The driver for 2018 would have a thin flex face, flex crown, bars behind the face, active recoil channel, CNC forged & milled face, pear shape, high MOI, turbulators, adjustable loft and weighting, faster, carbon fiber, tungsten, smart pad, graphics, colors, light weight, workability, forgiving, longest distances ever, and great sound.

When I buy a car I get one that's loaded. If it's that good I want it all. Don't you?

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Maybe someone should start a driver company that incorporates all the technology from each company into one new "loaded" driver each year. Why settle for one or two innovations or technologies when one club has it all?

The driver for 2018 would have a thin flex face, flex crown, bars behind the face, active recoil channel, CNC forged & milled face, pear shape, high MOI, turbulators, adjustable loft and weighting, faster, carbon fiber, tungsten, smart pad, graphics, colors, light weight, workability, forgiving, longest distances ever, and great sound.

When I buy a car I get one that's loaded. If it's that good I want it all. Don't you?

All that is simple. The tough part is what the heck would you call it???

Titleist 913D3 8.5 Whiteboard X

Titleist 904F GD YS-7 S

PING i5 3-7 green 8-P blue ZZ65

Mizuno T-7 52

Cleveland 588 RTX 58

PING Anser 2

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

Maybe someone should start a driver company that incorporates all the technology from each company into one new "loaded" driver each year. Why settle for one or two innovations or technologies when one club has it all?

The driver for 2018 would have a thin flex face, flex crown, bars behind the face, active recoil channel, CNC forged & milled face, pear shape, high MOI, turbulators, adjustable loft and weighting, faster, carbon fiber, tungsten, smart pad, graphics, colors, light weight, workability, forgiving, longest distances ever, and great sound.

I didn't see where they put the twist face on it. So I'll tale next years model with the twist face

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

nope claims extra 500 yards lol

Bags

This might help a little. Our Srixon/Cleveland rep was in today and the new launcher driver has what are called “flex fins.” Supposedly, they are designed to trap energy that normally would go all the way back to the rear of the driver and keep it forward next to the face. They are just two means to the same end.

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

Archived