Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Myardage for iOS - See how the weather and altitude affects your golf shots!

I picked up 4 yds with driver today over last time I check the app.  It's 18 right now instead of -4.

If that's in Fahrenheit, that's pretty cold.

A lot of the carry distance instability at low temperatures tends to come from the material composition of the golf ball freezing over, which is actually something we consider in our calculations (above and beyond the change atmospheric density). If you've ever wondered why the clubs have a "customize club" button on them, that's what some of those values tweak- they change how our algorithm computes the transfer of energy from the club head into the golf ball, which is something that can vary as the air gets colder and the golf ball gets harder. This also works in the inverse- beyond a certain temperature, the golf ball can become somewhat soft, causing you to lose some distance in extreme heat (though that loss is often negated by the positive effects of the warmer air, so it's not something you'll typically see unless you're overriding the conditions and really pushing the numbers around).

One feature that could be cool.  From the main screen if you swiped down it would automatically update the weather vs switching to the conditions tab and manual hitting update conditions.  Kind of like swiping down to check for new mail on iOS devices.

The only thing the "Update current conditions" button does is to try and pull down the weather from the internet. It has nothing to do with the actual calculations of your club distances- those will occur whenever you change anything within the app that would alter those numbers.

If you're just trying to keep the weather updated, then the app will normally try to do this for you out of the box. By default, it will update the weather every hour- assuming the app is open and in the foreground. If the app was closed or pushed into the background and an hour has elapsed, then it will automatically trigger a weather update as soon as you open it again.

Likewise, you can actually change the weather update interval over in the settings section (or disable them entirely if you'd like). The shortest interval you can select is 15 minutes. Pressing the manual update button has the same effect as an automatic weather update- that button is really just there for people who want to watch the weather change in real time, or have some other reason to force an update.

Why do all new apps go with IOS first and take forever to get on Android. There's only one iPhone and a lot of Android phones.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

We are considering an Android version, though I'm not sure when that will happen. We're just a team of two people at the moment, and I'm not familiar with the Android ecosystem at all (nor do I have any Android hardware for debugging and development). If the iOS version is moderately successful, it's certainly something we'll be looking into as soon as possible.

We are considering an Android version, though I'm not sure when that will happen. We're just a team of two people at the moment, and I'm not familiar with the Android ecosystem at all (nor do I have any Android hardware for debugging and development). If the iOS version is moderately successful, it's certainly something we'll be looking into as soon as possible.

What are you coding in? Objective-C? Swift? Something else?

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

What are you coding in? Objective-C? Swift? Something else?

Primarily Objectice C with a few bits written in C for performance reasons. There is no Swift code and we're relying on the Apple APIs for just about everything (so we're not using any third party libraries for anything).

Ah. I've managed teams that have done multi-platform from the ground up. Have not dealt with an OC to Android/Java or Android/NDK port. Good luck! I'm an Android guy; would love to see the app on my preferred platform.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

seems interesting...I can see it coming in handy in the heat and humidity this summer

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Just a quick update...

We've not yet heard back from the USGA as to whether or not our app is legal for tour play, but the general consensus at the moment is that it should be. Everyone we've talked to has been quick to point out that you're not allowed to take local measurements with any kind of handheld device (be it a phone or something else), but you are allowed to access weather related information (such as the altitude, temperature, barometric pressure, and humidity) based on your current GPS coordinates. Since we don't take any local readings and all our information is derived from user entered data and the weather information pulled down from the internet, there's really no reason why we shouldn't be legal for tour play.

Likewise, we've also reached out to the R&A, though we're currently waiting to hear back from them as well.

Gotta love your comment Bags. So you're strictly a man of the books eh?

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Ah. I've managed teams that have done multi-platform from the ground up. Have not dealt with an OC to Android/Java or Android/NDK port. Good luck! I'm an Android guy; would love to see the app on my preferred platform.

My team is currently using Xamarin for our iOS development.  Since we are a .Net shop it has really helped create mobile apps much faster than Objective C.  We only support iOS now but if management wanted to support Android it would not take too much effort to create a new version of the app. 

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

My team is currently using Xamarin for our iOS development.  Since we are a .Net shop it has really helped create mobile apps much faster than Objective C.  We only support iOS now but if management wanted to support Android it would not take too much effort to create a new version of the app.

Nice. I have not dealt with Xamarin myself. Our mobile devs tend to like hybrid development with Ionic. Not too long ago, we wrapped up a project where we delivered clients for iOS, Android and browser-based in Chrome and IE. Our lead architect even figured out how to get it working disconnected in IE, because he's a genius. He's also Irish, so you can't go beer for beer with him and expect to live.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Just a quick note- as far as I know, three codes are still available for anyone else who'd like to check out the app.

H3R7EMHY636R

A9Y4FMEHWTJJ

TEYPL4RWMTEX

If they don't work and you'd still like to give the app a shot, please let me know and I'll generate a couple extra codes.

I grabbed the TEYL code. Thanks guys!Just plugged everything in. I think it will help me when I go up to Tahoe and visit Arizona. Will update once I get to put it into action.

Formerly Dalai Lama's Looper

WITB 2018:

Driver: :ping-small: G 10.5*

Hybrid: :ping-small:  G 19*

Irons 4-W: :ping-small:  i's

48*, 54*: :taylormade-small:  RAC MB's

58*: :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM5

​Flat Stick:  Evnroll ER2

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone else would like a promo code to try out the app, please feel free to PM me and let me know, and I'll send a complimentary code your way. We'll be handing out codes for Mygolfspy members until the end of March.

I'd post more codes here, but apparently it can be a bit of a pain to go through them and try them all out, especially if they've already been taken (we don't have any way of tracking which ones have been used over here, so the only way I know for sure is if someone tells me they've used a specific code).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm happy to announce the immediate availability of Myardage Lite.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/myardage-lite/id1383286422?mt=8

This is a "lite" version of the application that allows you to try out the app with the following limitations:

1) No automatic weather updates are included, so you must enter the current conditions by hand

2) Club customization is disabled, so you must use one of the included club defaults instead

3) Up to 7 clubs may be entered at any given time

The lite version is no charge and will never expire. It will let you play around with our algorithms and determine if Myardage is a good fit for you and your game. If you are interested in lifting these restrictions, please check out our paid version of the app instead.

Archived