TESTERS WANTED! ×

Ditching the Hybrid

deejaid

Used to hate hybridS , tried so many of them, all of them were absolute hook machines that sat so closed at address, until the 2016 m1 Sits neutral and that moveable weight To the toe is beautiful.. It’s still in the bag and isn’t going anywhere. I still rotate a 3i in when it’s windy, but that thing Is dynamite for me.

Edited by LIGHT THE CANDLE

Driver       FE55134C-CD73-48E1-AFB5-CC8200F2CB0A.jpeg.0933e8544d5eb3422e959577493f0fef.jpeg Epic sub zero 10.5 Fuji Speer 661 TS xstiff

3 wood   1F17BF28-C0F1-4E8F-8755-ECC09DF97C8C.jpeg.c53f142f688fa9ba960db8bafc55e1e6.jpegR11s 14* Aldila 80g RIP phenom stiff

Hybrid    1F17BF28-C0F1-4E8F-8755-ECC09DF97C8C.jpeg.c53f142f688fa9ba960db8bafc55e1e6.jpeg 2016 M1 19* Fuji pro80 stiff

Irons       D859CF9F-92A7-48A0-A0E6-FD20DF5F7895.jpeg.918a5008145383da3021eff2b9a73b64.jpeg  pro black CB2 3-pw kbs tour 90 stiff

Wedges 7BC1FAAE-D235-40D3-B8B1-129FCE75002D.jpeg.bd104b40d1d6dd996c1a8917eb397626.jpegOil can 50.08  nickel 54.08 58.04

Putter       87484C23-73C2-4A8F-8F7F-536D909C9D00.jpeg.149dc29f28d951d24c3f7e29f69bd596.jpeg  Er.7  37”

Tracking.  B76CF1E2-77CA-421F-96BE-8E04E4B2B861.jpeg.998ffe83005e42b761646e30b0120512.jpeg Arccos 360 

Ball            2D586292-4648-465E-A9F6-8648DB25AEB1.jpeg  Prov1

• 3 weeks later...

I've battled hybrids for my entire golf career. My problem was routine hooks that would seemingly happen even on a good swing. Unfortunately, I wasn't much better with fairway woods and lacked the quality ball striking to consistently flight long irons. And since I found the hybrids so versatile I continued to push forward with them. Cleveland Mashie, Cobra Baffler, TEE XCG, RBZ, Adams A12, X2hot, M5 and a few others. I kept hoping to find the holy grail.

For me, I've found it. Start with something that has a somewhat neutral face. Second, the hybrid is too light. So many of these companies have light stock shafts in the 60-70 gram range. Go with something at least 85 grams. Next, the hybrid is too long. Cut it to an iron length. My 4 iron is 38.5 inches. The 3 hybrid should be 39 inches. 1/2 inch difference just like your irons. This promotoes a more downward strike on the ball and you will find the center of the face more with more control. The stock offering is 40 inches on my 3 hybrid. Chop it down 1 inch. The added benefit is that the lie angle will be flatter. The stock hybrid is too upright, so that kill 2 birds. Finally, you may need to add some weight to the head to maintain swing weight. I'm using a Callaway 16 apex, which normally has a 6 gram weight in the head. I replaced it with a 12 gram weight. Now we are at D3 just like my irons. Now we have something that swings just like a 3 Iron, but obviously with a hotter face and deeper DOG. 

IMG_20200519_201235.jpg

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

I always find it interesting when threads come back after years!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

On 10/11/2018 at 6:05 PM, tony@CIC said:

I'm a high handicapper as well. I use my long irons and hybrids interchangeably depending on the situation or the day. For instance if the ball in in the first cut or sitting high in the rough - I'll always take out my hybrid. With my 26 I generally get about 155, with the 22 about 165-170.

What's interesting is that some days I hit my long irons better than the hybrids and vice versa. Next year's project is working on hybrid consistency

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

What a difference ball position makes. This year I moved the ball back approximately an inch in my stance and I'm nailing my hybrids! I love the click sound when I hit my 410's - it also keeps me from lifting my head (body) down on follow through since I'm not wondering if I mishit the ball. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Yep, I was not liking the Cobra F8 hybrids I got with the Combo set(18* and 25* hybrids). I tended to duck hook them a lot. Then, I tested the Tour Edge CBX119 4H(22*). Wow did that make a difference. The Cobras had Recoils and the Tour Edge had an Evenflo. A bit heavier I am able to get out from under tree branches when I am far from the green.

file-1EEFEE42-0348-463A-82CA-750997404BA3-6096-00000673F9B5F823.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

2 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

What a difference ball position makes. This year I moved the ball back approximately an inch in my stance and I'm nailing my hybrids! I love the click sound when I hit my 410's - it also keeps me from lifting my head (body) down on follow through since I'm not wondering if I mishit the ball. 

I played hybrids very simliar and HATED them when I first tried them. Closer to the front and once I moved to the ball in the middle of my stance noticed a massive difference. My go to clubs now off the tee if the driver is misbehaving. Also comfortable going at a flag with them, funny how stance changes this.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

10 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

I played hybrids very simliar and HATED them when I first tried them. Closer to the front and once I moved to the ball in the middle of my stance noticed a massive difference. My go to clubs now off the tee if the driver is misbehaving. Also comfortable going at a flag with them, funny how stance changes this.

Yeah getting the right shape style and finding your sweet spot seems to make a big difference with Hybrids. 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

16 hours ago, scooterhd2 said:

I've battled hybrids for my entire golf career. My problem was routine hooks that would seemingly happen even on a good swing. Unfortunately, I wasn't much better with fairway woods and lacked the quality ball striking to consistently flight long irons. And since I found the hybrids so versatile I continued to push forward with them. Cleveland Mashie, Cobra Baffler, TEE XCG, RBZ, Adams A12, X2hot, M5 and a few others. I kept hoping to find the holy grail.

For me, I've found it. Start with something that has a somewhat neutral face. Second, the hybrid is too light. So many of these companies have light stock shafts in the 60-70 gram range. Go with something at least 85 grams. Next, the hybrid is too long. Cut it to an iron length. My 4 iron is 38.5 inches. The 3 hybrid should be 39 inches. 1/2 inch difference just like your irons. This promotoes a more downward strike on the ball and you will find the center of the face more with more control. The stock offering is 40 inches on my 3 hybrid. Chop it down 1 inch. The added benefit is that the lie angle will be flatter. The stock hybrid is too upright, so that kill 2 birds. Finally, you may need to add some weight to the head to maintain swing weight. I'm using a Callaway 16 apex, which normally has a 6 gram weight in the head. I replaced it with a 12 gram weight. Now we are at D3 just like my irons. Now we have something that swings just like a 3 Iron, but obviously with a hotter face and deeper DOG. 

IMG_20200519_201235.jpg

Now you have just educated me on something--- Yours is the first Call Away hybrid I have seen without an exaggerated offset-- Yours the way it sits reminds me of the original TM Rescue clubs which I have several I am fond of

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

On 9/2/2019 at 6:44 AM, Pingistheanser said:

I recently ditched my 3-hybrid for a 5-wood and couldnt be happier with it.  The 5-wood is both more forgiving and longer for me.  IMO, for high handicappers or people with a slower swing speed, a fairway wood is the way to go.  The head of a FW is designed to be more forgiving and to help you launch the ball and the longer shaft is going to give you more power.

For me, my 5-wood is a consistent 200-yard club and as long as its not sitting down in the rough, its a club that I can hit out of any lie.

I also got rid of my hybrid and put in a 5 wood. I used to hit a Perfect Club 21 degrees. It was perfect, because a lot of my long irons and 3 woods were slicing hard right. But now that I learned to close to the club face better, that offset on the PC actually started causing a lot of hooks. 

1 hour ago, Sox Fan said:

Ditched mine for about the thousandth time and put a 4 iron back in the bag in it's place about a week ago.

I'm actually doing the opposite. Just scooped up a 2020 Mizuno CLK 22* to replace my 23* crossover. The Crossover just isn't consistent and I feel like I have to work too hard to get the ball up. I need something to fly 200 and stop within a reasonable distance after. Going to hunt down one of those Modus GOST hybrid shafts to try out, and play it around what my set 4i would play, maybe .5" longer.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

15 minutes ago, yungkory said:

I'm actually doing the opposite. Just scooped up a 2020 Mizuno CLK 22* to replace my 23* crossover. The Crossover just isn't consistent and I feel like I have to work too hard to get the ball up. I need something to fly 200 and stop within a reasonable distance after. Going to hunt down one of those Modus GOST hybrid shafts to try out, and play it around what my set 4i would play, maybe .5" longer.

The only hybrid I have ever seen success with is the original Callaway Apex 23*.   Granted, I have not tried a ton of different hybrids, especially recently.  Tried 3 other 4 hybrids since that one came out and none gave me as good of perfromance.  OF course, I am the guy that still games a Callaway XHot Pro 5 Wood because nothing more modern has equaled the performance I get from it.  Granted, the 4 iron (Hogan PTx Pro) does not give me the height or stopping power that the Apex does, but I get the same distance with it and better dispersion.  They both go hot and cold on me so they spend about equal time in the bag.  Nice to have a back-up plan when the deep freeze strikes one of them. 

56 minutes ago, Sox Fan said:

The only hybrid I have ever seen success with is the original Callaway Apex 23*.   Granted, I have not tried a ton of different hybrids, especially recently.  Tried 3 other 4 hybrids since that one came out and none gave me as good of perfromance.  OF course, I am the guy that still games a Callaway XHot Pro 5 Wood because nothing more modern has equaled the performance I get from it.  Granted, the 4 iron (Hogan PTx Pro) does not give me the height or stopping power that the Apex does, but I get the same distance with it and better dispersion.  They both go hot and cold on me so they spend about equal time in the bag.  Nice to have a back-up plan when the deep freeze strikes one of them. 

Yeah, the height and stopping power is what I'm missing from my G410 crossover. It's a monster off the tee, but off the deck not as consistent, and feels like I have to put in way too much work to flight it up. Hoping this will be easier to launch, and not be so left bias as most hybrids. They have a flatter lie angle than other oems so I'm hoping that helps

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

15 minutes ago, yungkory said:

Yeah, the height and stopping power is what I'm missing from my G410 crossover. It's a monster off the tee, but off the deck not as consistent, and feels like I have to put in way too much work to flight it up. Hoping this will be easier to launch, and not be so left bias as most hybrids. They have a flatter lie angle than other oems so I'm hoping that helps

Yep, the Apex has a flatter lie angle than most which is likely why I have expereinced more success with it than others.  Good luck with the Mizuno!  

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot hit a hybrid, period. Every year I try the new ones, and it’s always the same: I hit them right into the ground about 100 yards. I have a steep swing and hit irons well, but struggle with FW: usually the type of player hybrids speak to. But not me: this year when I tried the Titleist ts3(supposedly a great fit for players who hit down on the ball) I hit like 10 worm burners in a row: I could literally hear the sales rep snickering. Then I ask to hit a U-510 3 iron, and proceed to smoke 5 straight balls 240+. It’s in the bag and I use it for all short par 4’s and some dogleg holes that don’t suit my driver cut. I still can’t hit my 3w, but I’m not sure I need it anymore. IMO, gapping is less important at this end of your bag.

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

• 2 weeks later...

Dumped my hybrid this year. I could sure rip the thing down the fairway with a great swing but I could also hook it 150 yards left which was killing my scores. I play a ton of course that require shots about 220-240 down a tree lined fairway and after years of 2 hooks around leading to doubles and triples, decided to make a move.

I originally went to my set 3 iron I had, but had not used in a year for about a month. It worked great, but I still wanted a little more forgiveness and distance ( hybrid was 19 degrees and my 3 iron is 21). I had looked at driving irons before, mainly the ping crossover, however watching a youtube video about the gapr low on a whim I picked up a 19 degree from 2nd swing.

I cannot hit the gapr left ( yet), which is a godsend for my game. Nothing better than aiming up the left and pounding a mid trajectory shot down the left and watch it gently fade back to the fairway. I also hit it a little bit farther than my old hybrid and it cuts through the wind better.

Needless to say, getting rid of my "old hook machine" was the best decision I have made

thumbnail (1).jpg

Edited by Flip4000

Right Handed

Taylormade sim2 9 degree ventus black 7x ( velecore) 44.5

Callaway epic flash sz 5 wood 17 degree tensi AV blue X

Mizuno CLK 19 degree tensi av blue X

Callaway x forged 16 4-pw Project x 6.0 +.75

Vokey SM7 black 50/54/58 Project x 6.0 flighted +.5 length 

Scotty cameron newport 2.6 34 length

I fight a hook in the hybrids too, but I’m actually re-evaluating adding one, but with a slightly different idea. Instead of a hybrid in the 16-19 degree with a graphite shaft, which I’ve tried in the past, I’m thinking of trying something in the 22-23 degree w an iron shaft.

Arccos is showing my distance control in my low irons is poor (due to contact mostly), I think I’d have more carry distance consistency from the extra help in a hybrid. I also think a hybrid in that slot would hold a green better than the equivalent iron, so I’m gonna give it a try.

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

• 1 month later...

I’ve posted here before and probably said how much I hated Hybrids but I currently have 2 in the bag. I put them together and in the bag because I was playing in a tournament, and my teammate in the practice round, had a tendency to hook the ball. That left me needing to be able to hook the next shot. My complaint was I hooked them. So I added 1 to the bag. But built a 3-19° and a 4-21°.

Unfortunately, I decided to reduce the shaft length by 1/2”. This gave them a flatter lie. I say unfortunately because once I did that I had a club that produced a long, high, straight ball flight.

I actually replaced my 4 iron and my 5 wood with these for the tournament and they are still there. I haven’t hooked them yet, and fortunately my teammate didn’t hook the ball during the tourney.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I was on the range the other week hitting one of my Mac Custom 5 woods. THis kid beside me got curious and real politely asked me "Sir when did they start making hybrids out of wood?" He was sincere. I had to explain that it was not a hybrid but a real fairway wood back when woods were actually woods. As you know all of those Mac fairways are tiny even in it's day. Actually his new Callaway hybrid was a tad larger than my 5 wood. I told him if he was interested he could hit one. He really did not want to. I told him if he ever wanted to go to persimmon please see me. We talked and I know his Dad. I bet $20 I will know what his Dad will tell him. "Ole Stuey is ok but he is tied too much to the past with those outdated antiques" Funny thing is I am some 25 years older than his Dad and can beat him straight up from any tee using my antique equipment and him moderns. A lot of the regulars around my club will tell you tongue in cheek that I am "touched in the head" because I am always hitting those antique blades and wooden woods

I think all golfers are “touched in the head”

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I remember several years ago when hybrids first gained popularity. The majority of golfers played them IMO way too forward in their stance similar to their fairway woods. That position / stance caused me to severely hook the ball at times.

So I ditched the hybrids and went back to high lofted fairway woods which were longer in length but had much flatter lie angles and square / open club faces. I never turned those over.

Fast forward a few years and I started experimenting with Wishon hybrids because the hosel was bendable. Not pushing Wishon although that is my preferred component and I learned my club making/fitting from his books and later videos. I played Adams hybrids years ago (bendable hosels) and later Callaway (again bendable/adjustable).

The second thing and probably most important positive change  for me regarding hitting hybrids was from  watching an instructor ask a student, "why not hit down on your hybrid and play it like an iron"?

So I experimented with the ball position tweaked. It worked near instantly for me, the only challenge I had was I was actually hitting the ball way higher-- so I adjusted the loft and actually changed shafts (more mid-bend point/firmer tip) and have not looked back. My only concern today is the look of the hybrid in address position. That has to fit my eye or I don't commit to the swing. 

I've been going in the opposite direction, in a way, by removing fairway woods in favor of hybrid use.  Today's round, I'll be using 3-PW, SW, LW, with a #2 driving iron, and a 2h that I'm tuning down to 15*.

For the most part, I prefer the shorter club lengths one can get with hybrids, as well as the heavier shafts available.  My 2h has a 105g shaft.

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

I have come full circle on hybrids, initially loving them when I got back into the game 10 yrs ago, but then abandoning them once I started having hook problems. Now it seems like there are more options with adjustable hosels/weights and stout shafts. After a couple of failed trials with other options, I have enjoyed my 818 h2 with fade weight & lie angle, and 90g shaft. 

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

My newest clubs are my 4w and 3h. Up to now I had no luck with fairways or hybrids and pulled them from my bag for a while. But that left me with nothing I could hit longer than 150 from the fairway. So I gave it another shot.

It’s still early but so far results have been positive. Today I hit both clubs more than anything else in my bag, and stayed out of trouble. Unheard of for me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IMG_1338.jpg

PXG 0211 12° driver w/Project X Cypher R flex  shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC HyWay 21° utilitywood w/Maltby MPF shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid w/Lazrus  graphite shaft
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Bean putter

My newest clubs are my 4w and 3h. Up to now I had no luck with fairways or hybrids and pulled them from my bag for a while. But that left me with nothing I could hit longer than 150 from the fairway. So I gave it another shot.

It’s still early but so far results have been positive. Today I hit both clubs more than anything else in my bag, and stayed out of trouble. Unheard of for me!

IMG_1338.thumb.jpg.7bd7c82e997f56fc08765ca1ac08dcde.jpg

Great news!

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

On 2/7/2018 at 8:06 AM, deejaid said:

I feel I have given hybrids enough of a chance but these things don't work for me. I'm at a loss as to why. Perhaps I just need a fitting but I've tried small head hybrids; larger, almost fairway wood sized hybrids; both stiff and regular flex shafts and I've not found one that I am consistent and fully confident in. I have full confidence in my 3-wood as well as my 4-Iron, but that spot in the bag between the two I'm lost.

How many of you have switched from a hybrid to one of the new driving/fli hi irons that seem to have become pretty popular in the last few seasons?

For now, I'm just shafting up the 3-Iron again and it's going back in the bag.

I tested hybrids before ultimately choosing the G400 SFT 5w to compliment the 3w.  They just were not as consistent for me.  Plus, I was impressed that the shots I made from thick (like the fitter knocked into the ground) were better with the 5w than the hybrid.  I almost opted for the 7w as it too was easy and consistent.  There have been a few times I wish I had it but more times I'm glad I have the 5w... which I can throttle a little.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

What’s funny is how my game and bag has changed since I started this thread. Now that I am playing persimmon woods exclusively the hybrid isn’t even a consideration. I am carrying either 1,3,4,5 or 1,3,4 woods depending on which wedge configuration I take. I am also much more comfortable with my 3-iron so it’s in the bag regularly.

I really enjoy hitting higher lofted woods though. Even if I was playing modern woods I think I’d be looking at woods instead of hybrids.

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

57 minutes ago, deejaid said:

What’s funny is how my game and bag has changed since I started this thread. Now that I am playing persimmon woods exclusively the hybrid isn’t even a consideration. I am carrying either 1,3,4,5 or 1,3,4 woods depending on which wedge configuration I take. I am also much more comfortable with my 3-iron so it’s in the bag regularly.

I really enjoy hitting higher lofted woods though. Even if I was playing modern woods I think I’d be looking at woods instead of hybrids.

Well Deejaid, when we start seeing persimmon woods once again adorn the racks at Golf Galaxy, Dicks, etc., we'll point to you as the man who started the movement 🙂.  I still use a couple bamboo fly rods and those have maintained a dedicated user base - in fact have had a bit of a resurgence.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I’m struggling mightily w 5 hybrid. It’s so bad guys make sure their in back of me to stay from getting Kilt!
Digging out a 5w from the depths of the garage Monday. See what happens.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list