Ditching the Hybrid

Our Sponsors

Hate them, too! So I got myself a 5W to replace my 19* hybrid.

I did like the Callaway Apex UT I tried during a demo day though!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I feel I have given hybrids enough of a chance but these things don't work for me. I'm at a loss as to why. Perhaps I just need a fitting but I've tried small head hybrids; larger, almost fairway

get a 64' wedge that's something that can do damage to anyone's game.

I was on the range the other week hitting one of my Mac Custom 5 woods. THis kid beside me got curious and real politely asked me "Sir when did they start making hybrids out of wood?" He was sincere.

Posted Images

It's a love / hate relationship for me. I personally have a naturally low ball flight. This is not ideal when you have a 3 iron into a green. So why not try hybrids. I have hit a lot of them and I just can't get any consistency. That said I picked up an Adams Pro 18* hybrid this winter in hopes I can hit it. We will see once spring comes around. It could be more if the same or maybe I do like it and I stays in the bag.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Taylormade M6 10.5*

FW: Sub70 16* 4 wood

Hybrid: 19* Tour Edge Exotics EX5

Irons:  Sub 70 

639 CB 4 - 6

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Taylormade Spider
Ball: Titleist Pro V1X
Handicap index:  +2.6

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

While I totally agree that hybrid or not seems swing dependent I'm wondering how many guys who “hate” hybrid

A. tried one because they are unhappy with their long iron play.

B. Have taken a lesson on hitting them.

C. Then rejected them.

If you're already a great long iron player and/or don't need high approach shots into the green it's not that important. But if you do and still need some control into the wind it's hard to deny the importance of the hybrid. Even tons of guys on the regular tour buy in as does nearly everyone on the champion's tour and LPGA.

I'm going to guess they've all worked in the hybrids with their instructor.

• Like 2

Ping G410 - turned down to11.25 degrees, neutral setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Currently testing Edison wedges to replace SCORS that are wearing out. Also auditions for the 14th spot in the bag.  Current possibilities are a Ping 26 degree hybrid - duplicates the 9 wood or 5 iron but would be used almost exclusively for chipping or Tour Exotics 3 wood simply because you can carry 14 clubs and I might occasionally hit it in certain unusual wind conditions once every four or five rounds. 

Not everyone has the time, desire, or funds for an instructor. Or even near one.

I bought my 2 hybrid to fill a gap. I liked it at first, it is a Rocket Launcher. It's still in the bag, and probably will be for a long while.

• Like 2

I have a love/hate relationship with hybrids.  I've gone through a few to replace the longer irons.  I think part of the problem for me is that I was never really fitted for those hybrids so I'm pretty sure the shafts aren't optimized for my swing (purchased them off the shelf with what I though would be the right shafts for me).  The other thing is, when my swing is working well, I can hit long irons without any problems (even the 2 iron MP-19 I have).  It's so bad that I've reverted back to a 3-PW setup instead of incorporating the 3H and 4H into my setup.  We'll see what this season brings if I try and make a switch back to hybrids in my bag since I'm planning to revamp the entire set anyway.

MDGolfHacker

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :cobra-small: F8 9.5° Project X Even Flow Blue 65g shaft 

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 5W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 816H2 19°

Irons: :mizuno-small: MP-20 SEL Project X 5.5 shafts 5-PW

:mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB Project X 5.5 shaft 4 Iron

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro

Social Media:

Facebook:   md golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Currently Testing: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

Currently game an old, almost first generation Cobra Baffler 19 degree hybrid.  Love it off the deck, great in thick rough, and even use it putting thru frog hair just off the fringe.  A couple of years ago I bought a Hogan VTK and it was WONDERFUL, but the finish came off the face with less than 3 full rounds on it.  I sent it back to get re-finished and they send me a different hybrid, and it never felt the same - just did not perform the same as before- so I sold that.  Am in the market for a driving iron, but have not found one that

A) I like, and

B) I am willing part with that much cash for!!!

• Like 2

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

Currently game an old, almost first generation Cobra Baffler 19 degree hybrid. Love it off the deck, great in thick rough, and even use it putting thru frog hair just off the fringe. A couple of years ago I bought a Hogan VTK and it was WONDERFUL, but the finish came off the face with less than 3 full rounds on it. I sent it back to get re-finished and they send me a different hybrid, and it never felt the same - just did not perform the same as before- so I sold that. Am in the market for a driving iron, but have not found one that

A) I like, and

B) I am willing part with that much cash for!!!

Dynacraft driving iron from hirekogolf.com... 15 bucks for the head.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I love my hybrids! . I bag a 2, 3, & 4 hybrid. Old Callaway Razx X however they still bark like a young coon hound

• Like 3

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway MAVRIK MAX 3 - wood
Callaway Big Bertha 2019  4 & 5 hybrid 
Tommy Armour 845 MAX 6 - GW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 54 Degree SW
Cleveland CBX Full-Face Wedge 58 degree

Putters:
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Big Seven Arm Lock Putter
Odyssey Triple Track 2-Ball Putter
Odyssey Triple Track 10 Putter
Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT Premier 10.5C Putter
Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT Premier 11 Putter

Utility club:  Square Strike Wedge 45 degree
aka pocket picker

Not everyone has the time, desire, or funds for an instructor. Or even near one.

I bought my 2 hybrid to fill a gap. I liked it at first, it is a Rocket Launcher. It's still in the bag, and probably will be for a long while.

A lesson is far less expensive than a golf club. You can take a series of lessons for the price of a club.

Desire is the key word. I completely agree with you about that. We're guys - God forbid we go to an expert to ask for help! :)

We can do it ourselves.

I've been there, done that and guess what - I even fooled myself into thinking it worked. After all I was pretty good. Then I took some lessons and did what my teacher and I worked on. Guess what, I got better!

If you want to play the best golf possible you have to break out of the “normal.”

• Like 4

Ping G410 - turned down to11.25 degrees, neutral setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Currently testing Edison wedges to replace SCORS that are wearing out. Also auditions for the 14th spot in the bag.  Current possibilities are a Ping 26 degree hybrid - duplicates the 9 wood or 5 iron but would be used almost exclusively for chipping or Tour Exotics 3 wood simply because you can carry 14 clubs and I might occasionally hit it in certain unusual wind conditions once every four or five rounds. 

Not sure what your issue is with it, but if you hit hooks like I did, a few pieces of lead tape on the toe may do the trick

I had a real issue rope hooking my 3 hybrid so I got a used Cobra Utility iron for a good price and although I only got a few rounds in with it before the season ended, I'm not looking back. Will be looking for a 4 for this season if I can get a good deal on it.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

One more getting your mind right sort of thing. When I walk up to the ball I think to myself, I'm gonna crush this MF'r. If I say, well there's a chance I slice it or hook it guess what happens?

Just walk up to the ball, say you are not my friend, and compress that little ball. Will yourself to smash it. It works.

• Like 2

Not sure what your issue is with it, but if you hit hooks like I did, a few pieces of lead tape on the toe may do the trick

I had a real issue rope hooking my 3 hybrid so I got a used Cobra Utility iron for a good price and although I only got a few rounds in with it before the season ended, I'm not looking back. Will be looking for a 4 for this season if I can get a good deal on it.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

Many hybrids are not well designed for the better player. Their lie angles are too upright in order to accommodate the higher handicapper who tends to come over the top. A player who attacks from the inside will hit those clubs left all day long. I would love to see a hybrid lie angle chart that went from flattest to most upright in lie angle. If internal weighting was equal I believe those clubs could be charted as most fade bias to most draw bias as well
  • Like 2

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

Many hybrids are not well designed for the better player. Their lie angles are too upright in order to accommodate the higher handicapper who tends to come over the top. A player who attacks from the inside will hit those clubs left all day long. I would love to see a hybrid lie angle chart that went from flattest to most upright in lie angle. If internal weighting was equal I believe those clubs could be charted as most fade bias to most draw bias as well

My irons are 2* flat, so you can imagine how most hybrids feel for me. I have to address the ball with my hands unnaturally high. But, I still hit them better than long irons, so they stay in the bag. I'd love to get some built for me. One day...

• Like 2

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
4 Wood (17*) - :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha S2H2 - RCH 90 "Firm"
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
GW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :srixon-small: Z-Star XV
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

• 3 weeks later...

I too used to hate my hybrids, until I got ones that looked like irons, now it's a love affair.

I struggle with my hybrids. Which ones do you play that look like irons? I may have to try them.

• Like 1

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen1 0811X 12° driver w/Project X Evenflow Blue 55g shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

:srixon-small: Z355 22° 7 wood w/Miyazaki Jinsoku shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 19° 3 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

:tour-edge: HL E521 25° 5 hybrid w/Fubuki HD55 shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg Sti2 6 iron w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 Tour+ irons 7-PW w/UST Competition Series graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge w/Rotex shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:cleveland-small:  Huntington Beach Soft Premier 10.5

I must be rare in that I have both a hybrid and DI in my bag. I have and Epic/Apex UT combo in one bag and a Titleist 818H2/712u in my other bag. For me it is different shots for each but get along well with both.

• Like 1

In the Bag for 2020

PXG 0811XF Gen 2 10.5* (set at 9*) AD VR 6x

PXG 0341X Gen 2 15* AD TP 7x

PXG 0317X Gen 2 19* KBS Proto 95x

PXG 0311T Gen 3 4-6 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 ST 7 - PW KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 50/10 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 54/10 & 58/07 TTDG TI S400

:rife-putters-1: Two Bar Blade Long 47"

I have a 19* Epic hybrid and love it. Get about 235 yards with it which fits right in between my 3 wood and 4 iron. Easy to fade/draw and works great around the greens... I hit other hybrids horribly before I got the Epic. I urge you to keep looking for one that suits your game! Good luck!

• Like 1

Driver-    Callaway GBB Epic 9.5 Aldila Rouge Max 75X 

3 Wood- Callaway GBB Epic 15 Aldila Rouge Max 85X

Hybrid-   Callaway GBB Epic 19 UST Recoil F4

Irons-      Callaway CF Apex 16'  4-PW S300

Wedges- Titleist SM6 GW/SW/LW S300

Putter-    Ping Anser Sigma G w/ Superstroke Pistol GT 2.0

Ball-        Bridgestone B330/ TaylorMade TP4/ Titleist ProV1

Grips-     Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Grey

I have a 19* Epic hybrid and love it. Get about 235 yards with it which fits right in between my 3 wood and 4 iron. Easy to fade/draw and works great around the greens... I hit other hybrids horribly before I got the Epic. I urge you to keep looking for one that suits your game! Good luck!

Love my Epic. Was not a huge fan of the Recoil shaft but it is a winner with the ADDI 95x.

In the Bag for 2020

PXG 0811XF Gen 2 10.5* (set at 9*) AD VR 6x

PXG 0341X Gen 2 15* AD TP 7x

PXG 0317X Gen 2 19* KBS Proto 95x

PXG 0311T Gen 3 4-6 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 ST 7 - PW KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 50/10 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 54/10 & 58/07 TTDG TI S400

:rife-putters-1: Two Bar Blade Long 47"

Love my Epic. Was not a huge fan of the Recoil shaft but it is a winner with the ADDI 95x.

You hit the 818 h2? Will be at the top of my list to try if my Mizuno fli hi can't consistently cover the distance gap I need

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* VA Nemesys 65X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:srixon-small: ZU85 18* Tour AD 95X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
 MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-9 Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 46F - 54S - 59D
:mizuno-small: M Craft II
:titelist-small: ProV1 ???

I get along good with hybrids when I play them like an iron.

Maybe try the Cobra one length hybrid

:cobra-small: Driver F9 
:cobra-small: 3W F9

:cobra-small: 5W F9

:taylormade-small: P790 5i / 7i  LZ 6.5  

:taylormade-small: P7WC 8i / PW LZ 6.5                                                         :titelist-small: SM8 50F8* 54S10* 58D12* LZ 6.0                                        

:taylormade-small: FCG #7 

:srixon-small: Z Star #6