deejaid

Ditching the Hybrid

Our Sponsors

Posted (edited)

Used to hate hybridS , tried so many of them, all of them were absolute hook machines that sat so closed at address, until the 2016 m1 Sits neutral and that moveable weight To the toe is beautiful.. It’s still in the bag and isn’t going anywhere. I still rotate a 3i in when it’s windy, but that thing Is dynamite for me.

Edited by LIGHT THE CANDLE

Driver       FE55134C-CD73-48E1-AFB5-CC8200F2CB0A.jpeg.0933e8544d5eb3422e959577493f0fef.jpeg Epic sub zero 10.5 Fuji Speer 661 TS xstiff

3 wood   1F17BF28-C0F1-4E8F-8755-ECC09DF97C8C.jpeg.c53f142f688fa9ba960db8bafc55e1e6.jpegR11s 14* Aldila 80g RIP phenom stiff

Hybrid    1F17BF28-C0F1-4E8F-8755-ECC09DF97C8C.jpeg.c53f142f688fa9ba960db8bafc55e1e6.jpeg 2016 M1 19* Fuji pro80 stiff

Irons       D859CF9F-92A7-48A0-A0E6-FD20DF5F7895.jpeg.918a5008145383da3021eff2b9a73b64.jpeg  pro black CB2 3-pw kbs tour 90 stiff

Wedges 7BC1FAAE-D235-40D3-B8B1-129FCE75002D.jpeg.bd104b40d1d6dd996c1a8917eb397626.jpegOil can 50.08  nickel 54.08 58.04

Putter       87484C23-73C2-4A8F-8F7F-536D909C9D00.jpeg.149dc29f28d951d24c3f7e29f69bd596.jpeg  Er.7  37”

Tracking.  B76CF1E2-77CA-421F-96BE-8E04E4B2B861.jpeg.998ffe83005e42b761646e30b0120512.jpeg Arccos 360 

Ball            2D586292-4648-465E-A9F6-8648DB25AEB1.jpeg  Prov1

I've battled hybrids for my entire golf career. My problem was routine hooks that would seemingly happen even on a good swing. Unfortunately, I wasn't much better with fairway woods and lacked the quality ball striking to consistently flight long irons. And since I found the hybrids so versatile I continued to push forward with them. Cleveland Mashie, Cobra Baffler, TEE XCG, RBZ, Adams A12, X2hot, M5 and a few others. I kept hoping to find the holy grail.

For me, I've found it. Start with something that has a somewhat neutral face. Second, the hybrid is too light. So many of these companies have light stock shafts in the 60-70 gram range. Go with something at least 85 grams. Next, the hybrid is too long. Cut it to an iron length. My 4 iron is 38.5 inches. The 3 hybrid should be 39 inches. 1/2 inch difference just like your irons. This promotoes a more downward strike on the ball and you will find the center of the face more with more control. The stock offering is 40 inches on my 3 hybrid. Chop it down 1 inch. The added benefit is that the lie angle will be flatter. The stock hybrid is too upright, so that kill 2 birds. Finally, you may need to add some weight to the head to maintain swing weight. I'm using a Callaway 16 apex, which normally has a 6 gram weight in the head. I replaced it with a 12 gram weight. Now we are at D3 just like my irons. Now we have something that swings just like a 3 Iron, but obviously with a hotter face and deeper DOG. 

IMG_20200519_201235.jpg

• Like 1

• Driver: :ping-small: G410 Plus 9*, Tensei Orange 60X
  • Hybrids::adams-small:  Super XTD 17* Hybrid Fubuki AX:callaway-small:,  Apex 20* Hybrid, AD-DI 85S
  • Irons: :srixon-small: U85 4I AD DI 95S, Z585 5-6, Z785 7-PW, Modus 120s
  • Wedges: :ping-small:: Glide 3.0 52, Modus 120x:taylormade-small:, Hi Toe 56 & 60, Modus 120x
  • Putter: :EVNROLL:  ER3 @ 33"
  • RH in Phoenix, AZ

I always find it interesting when threads come back after years!

• Like 1

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4/5, Tour V 6-10, Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

On 10/11/2018 at 6:05 PM, tony@CIC said:

I'm a high handicapper as well. I use my long irons and hybrids interchangeably depending on the situation or the day. For instance if the ball in in the first cut or sitting high in the rough - I'll always take out my hybrid. With my 26 I generally get about 155, with the 22 about 165-170.

What's interesting is that some days I hit my long irons better than the hybrids and vice versa. Next year's project is working on hybrid consistency

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

What a difference ball position makes. This year I moved the ball back approximately an inch in my stance and I'm nailing my hybrids! I love the click sound when I hit my 410's - it also keeps me from lifting my head (body) down on follow through since I'm not wondering if I mishit the ball. 

• Like 2

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

:cobra-small: F Max 5 wood

:ping-small:  9 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*
:wilson-small: C300 4i-GP
:cleveland-small:  Wedges RTX 3.0: 52*, 56*
:ping-small: EYE 2 Wedge 60*

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain:

:SuperSpeed: Official Tester 2020   Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

Yep, I was not liking the Cobra F8 hybrids I got with the Combo set(18* and 25* hybrids). I tended to duck hook them a lot. Then, I tested the Tour Edge CBX119 4H(22*). Wow did that make a difference. The Cobras had Recoils and the Tour Edge had an Evenflo. A bit heavier I am able to get out from under tree branches when I am far from the green.

file-1EEFEE42-0348-463A-82CA-750997404BA3-6096-00000673F9B5F823.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 4

Driver: Tour Edge Exotics EXS w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Wilson D7 GW(48*) & SW(54*) Cobra King F8 LW(58*)all wedges have Recoil 460 regular shafts Putter: 33" Bellum-Winmore 707 putter Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).

2 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

What a difference ball position makes. This year I moved the ball back approximately an inch in my stance and I'm nailing my hybrids! I love the click sound when I hit my 410's - it also keeps me from lifting my head (body) down on follow through since I'm not wondering if I mishit the ball. 

I played hybrids very simliar and HATED them when I first tried them. Closer to the front and once I moved to the ball in the middle of my stance noticed a massive difference. My go to clubs now off the tee if the driver is misbehaving. Also comfortable going at a flag with them, funny how stance changes this.

• Like 1

Check out my reviews

:ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:titelist-small: TS2 9.5 - Project X HZRDUS Smoke

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:adams-small: 2H VST - Super Idea S Matrix Kujoh S-Flex

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125

:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W

:titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

10 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

I played hybrids very simliar and HATED them when I first tried them. Closer to the front and once I moved to the ball in the middle of my stance noticed a massive difference. My go to clubs now off the tee if the driver is misbehaving. Also comfortable going at a flag with them, funny how stance changes this.

Yeah getting the right shape style and finding your sweet spot seems to make a big difference with Hybrids. 

#MGSCOBRA2020 #COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 is live!  Follow Along here!

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver 10.5 - Ventus Blue 6X

:cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S

:cobra-small: Speedzone 4-Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S vs :titelist-small: 818 H1 - Tensei Blue 70s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - PX LZ 6.5

:cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12 Classic, 56.10 Versatile, 60.04 Widelow - KBS 610 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B

:titelist-small: Pro V1x

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 HD Slope

:Arccos:

#cuetheduckboats

I will be purchasing a fairway metal very soon, havent decided on a 5w or a hybrid in a similar loft. I hit irons more consistently and solid than I do woods. Any suggestions on which I should choose?

16 hours ago, scooterhd2 said:

I've battled hybrids for my entire golf career. My problem was routine hooks that would seemingly happen even on a good swing. Unfortunately, I wasn't much better with fairway woods and lacked the quality ball striking to consistently flight long irons. And since I found the hybrids so versatile I continued to push forward with them. Cleveland Mashie, Cobra Baffler, TEE XCG, RBZ, Adams A12, X2hot, M5 and a few others. I kept hoping to find the holy grail.

For me, I've found it. Start with something that has a somewhat neutral face. Second, the hybrid is too light. So many of these companies have light stock shafts in the 60-70 gram range. Go with something at least 85 grams. Next, the hybrid is too long. Cut it to an iron length. My 4 iron is 38.5 inches. The 3 hybrid should be 39 inches. 1/2 inch difference just like your irons. This promotoes a more downward strike on the ball and you will find the center of the face more with more control. The stock offering is 40 inches on my 3 hybrid. Chop it down 1 inch. The added benefit is that the lie angle will be flatter. The stock hybrid is too upright, so that kill 2 birds. Finally, you may need to add some weight to the head to maintain swing weight. I'm using a Callaway 16 apex, which normally has a 6 gram weight in the head. I replaced it with a 12 gram weight. Now we are at D3 just like my irons. Now we have something that swings just like a 3 Iron, but obviously with a hotter face and deeper DOG. 

IMG_20200519_201235.jpg

Now you have just educated me on something--- Yours is the first Call Away hybrid I have seen without an exaggerated offset-- Yours the way it sits reminds me of the original TM Rescue clubs which I have several I am fond of

• Like 2

Driver Homna  G1- X Stock Homna Regular shaft

4 wood Adams Tight Lies 

20* Hybrid Adams Boxer Ozik Matrix R shaft

24* Hybrid Adams A 10-OS Pro Launch Red R

Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW- Macgregor LRA 56* S-400

Putter 1997 Santa Fe rusty as heck

On 9/2/2019 at 6:44 AM, Pingistheanser said:

I recently ditched my 3-hybrid for a 5-wood and couldnt be happier with it.  The 5-wood is both more forgiving and longer for me.  IMO, for high handicappers or people with a slower swing speed, a fairway wood is the way to go.  The head of a FW is designed to be more forgiving and to help you launch the ball and the longer shaft is going to give you more power.

For me, my 5-wood is a consistent 200-yard club and as long as its not sitting down in the rough, its a club that I can hit out of any lie.

I also got rid of my hybrid and put in a 5 wood. I used to hit a Perfect Club 21 degrees. It was perfect, because a lot of my long irons and 3 woods were slicing hard right. But now that I learned to close to the club face better, that offset on the PC actually started causing a lot of hooks. 

• Like 1

Ditched mine for about the thousandth time and put a 4 iron back in the bag in it's place about a week ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sox Fan said:

Ditched mine for about the thousandth time and put a 4 iron back in the bag in it's place about a week ago.

I'm actually doing the opposite. Just scooped up a 2020 Mizuno CLK 22* to replace my 23* crossover. The Crossover just isn't consistent and I feel like I have to work too hard to get the ball up. I need something to fly 200 and stop within a reasonable distance after. Going to hunt down one of those Modus GOST hybrid shafts to try out, and play it around what my set 4i would play, maybe .5" longer.

• Like 1

Driver: :taylormade-small: SIM Max 10.5 Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S

3w/5w: :callaway-small: XR16 Fujikura Speeder Evo 565 S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX 4 50.10 | 54.10 | 60.09 Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER5 BGT Stability Tour

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

15 minutes ago, yungkory said:

I'm actually doing the opposite. Just scooped up a 2020 Mizuno CLK 22* to replace my 23* crossover. The Crossover just isn't consistent and I feel like I have to work too hard to get the ball up. I need something to fly 200 and stop within a reasonable distance after. Going to hunt down one of those Modus GOST hybrid shafts to try out, and play it around what my set 4i would play, maybe .5" longer.

The only hybrid I have ever seen success with is the original Callaway Apex 23*.   Granted, I have not tried a ton of different hybrids, especially recently.  Tried 3 other 4 hybrids since that one came out and none gave me as good of perfromance.  OF course, I am the guy that still games a Callaway XHot Pro 5 Wood because nothing more modern has equaled the performance I get from it.  Granted, the 4 iron (Hogan PTx Pro) does not give me the height or stopping power that the Apex does, but I get the same distance with it and better dispersion.  They both go hot and cold on me so they spend about equal time in the bag.  Nice to have a back-up plan when the deep freeze strikes one of them. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Sox Fan said:

The only hybrid I have ever seen success with is the original Callaway Apex 23*.   Granted, I have not tried a ton of different hybrids, especially recently.  Tried 3 other 4 hybrids since that one came out and none gave me as good of perfromance.  OF course, I am the guy that still games a Callaway XHot Pro 5 Wood because nothing more modern has equaled the performance I get from it.  Granted, the 4 iron (Hogan PTx Pro) does not give me the height or stopping power that the Apex does, but I get the same distance with it and better dispersion.  They both go hot and cold on me so they spend about equal time in the bag.  Nice to have a back-up plan when the deep freeze strikes one of them. 

Yeah, the height and stopping power is what I'm missing from my G410 crossover. It's a monster off the tee, but off the deck not as consistent, and feels like I have to put in way too much work to flight it up. Hoping this will be easier to launch, and not be so left bias as most hybrids. They have a flatter lie angle than other oems so I'm hoping that helps

• Like 1

Driver: :taylormade-small: SIM Max 10.5 Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S

3w/5w: :callaway-small: XR16 Fujikura Speeder Evo 565 S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX 4 50.10 | 54.10 | 60.09 Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER5 BGT Stability Tour

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Hookerooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

I confess, it's me.

15 minutes ago, yungkory said:

Yeah, the height and stopping power is what I'm missing from my G410 crossover. It's a monster off the tee, but off the deck not as consistent, and feels like I have to put in way too much work to flight it up. Hoping this will be easier to launch, and not be so left bias as most hybrids. They have a flatter lie angle than other oems so I'm hoping that helps

Yep, the Apex has a flatter lie angle than most which is likely why I have expereinced more success with it than others.  Good luck with the Mizuno!  

• Like 1

I cannot hit a hybrid, period. Every year I try the new ones, and it’s always the same: I hit them right into the ground about 100 yards. I have a steep swing and hit irons well, but struggle with FW: usually the type of player hybrids speak to. But not me: this year when I tried the Titleist ts3(supposedly a great fit for players who hit down on the ball) I hit like 10 worm burners in a row: I could literally hear the sales rep snickering. Then I ask to hit a U-510 3 iron, and proceed to smoke 5 straight balls 240+. It’s in the bag and I use it for all short par 4’s and some dogleg holes that don’t suit my driver cut. I still can’t hit my 3w, but I’m not sure I need it anymore. IMO, gapping is less important at this end of your bag.

24CC2B3B-0E46-4165-97D1-F1CA4C5041C8.png

Posted (edited)

Dumped my hybrid this year. I could sure rip the thing down the fairway with a great swing but I could also hook it 150 yards left which was killing my scores. I play a ton of course that require shots about 220-240 down a tree lined fairway and after years of 2 hooks around leading to doubles and triples, decided to make a move.

I originally went to my set 3 iron I had, but had not used in a year for about a month. It worked great, but I still wanted a little more forgiveness and distance ( hybrid was 19 degrees and my 3 iron is 21). I had looked at driving irons before, mainly the ping crossover, however watching a youtube video about the gapr low on a whim I picked up a 19 degree from 2nd swing.

I cannot hit the gapr left ( yet), which is a godsend for my game. Nothing better than aiming up the left and pounding a mid trajectory shot down the left and watch it gently fade back to the fairway. I also hit it a little bit farther than my old hybrid and it cuts through the wind better.

Needless to say, getting rid of my "old hook machine" was the best decision I have made

thumbnail (1).jpg

Edited by Flip4000
  • Like 1

Right Handed

Ping G410 LST 9 degree X flex ping tour shaft 75G

Ping G410 3 wood 14.5  X flex Evenflow black 85G

Taylormade Gapr low 19 degree X flex KBS hybrid 80G

Titleist 714 AP2 4-9 iron +.5 length 1 degree upright S flex kbs tour 120G

Vokey SM6 46  +.5 length 1 degree upright Dynamic gold S 300

Vokey SM5 50, 54,  +.5 length 1 degree upright S flex kbs tour 120G

Vokey SM5 58  +.5 length 1 degree upright S high rev 125G

Scotty cameron newport 2.6 34 length

I fight a hook in the hybrids too, but I’m actually re-evaluating adding one, but with a slightly different idea. Instead of a hybrid in the 16-19 degree with a graphite shaft, which I’ve tried in the past, I’m thinking of trying something in the 22-23 degree w an iron shaft.

Arccos is showing my distance control in my low irons is poor (due to contact mostly), I think I’d have more carry distance consistency from the extra help in a hybrid. I also think a hybrid in that slot would hold a green better than the equivalent iron, so I’m gonna give it a try.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

I’ve posted here before and probably said how much I hated Hybrids but I currently have 2 in the bag. I put them together and in the bag because I was playing in a tournament, and my teammate in the practice round, had a tendency to hook the ball. That left me needing to be able to hook the next shot. My complaint was I hooked them. So I added 1 to the bag. But built a 3-19° and a 4-21°.

Unfortunately, I decided to reduce the shaft length by 1/2”. This gave them a flatter lie. I say unfortunately because once I did that I had a club that produced a long, high, straight ball flight.

I actually replaced my 4 iron and my 5 wood with these for the tournament and they are still there. I haven’t hooked them yet, and fortunately my teammate didn’t hook the ball during the tourney.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver:      :mizuno-small:  ST190G on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Fairway:   :mizuno-small:  ST190TS 15° on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Hybrids     :mizuno-small:  CLK 22 & 25 (set to 20° & 23°) on Fujikura SPEEDER

Irons:     :mizuno-small:  MP5 5-P on True Temper Dynamic Gold

Wedges: :mizuno-small: MP-T5 52*, 56* & 60* on True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge

Putter:    :cameron-small: 2018 Select Newport 2

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:

Range Finder: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated