Testers Wanted! AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Ditching the Hybrid

deejaid

58 minutes ago, Rickp said:

I’m struggling mightily w 5 hybrid. It’s so bad guys make sure their in back of me to stay from getting Kilt!
Digging out a 5w from the depths of the garage Monday. See what happens.

Sometimes you just have to show a club who's boss.  My 5H did the same thing two weeks ago; took it out.  Put it back in today and hit two high second shots onto greens.  It must have learned its lesson.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

11 hours ago, Rickp said:

I’m struggling mightily w 5 hybrid. It’s so bad guys make sure their in back of me to stay from getting Kilt!
Digging out a 5w from the depths of the garage Monday. See what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

My biggest fault is when I play hybrids like a wood, as soon as I set it up and hit like an iron, success. 

I bought a PING G-410 3H and a 4H when the COVID thing hit for about $210 with shipping on the bay, mostly because of what I read,,, first shot on range, instant success for me, high and log, 3H a little lower than my 5 wood.

The only reason I carried a 3H and 4H before was to pull balls out of brush and water. Tried Taylormade, Titleist, Adams,,,, settled on Cleveland Mashie since I had success hitting them once in a while.

DRIVER: default_cobra-small.jpg.125f3712aad21ad9f7ca2c672e34a299.jpg  Cobra F-8 set at 10.5,  Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60 (R) 44 1/2 "

3 & 5 WOOD: default_callaway-small.jpg.a58e7c6760b71a9eb95d385ecc5d2200.jpg Callaway XR-16, Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 Red (R) 

IRONS 5-SW: default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-700, 2 upright, std loft  Alta CB (R) + 1/2"

HYBRID 3-4:  default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-410, 1 upright,  Alta CB 70 Red (R) + 1/2"

PUTTER: Byron Experimental GSS

My biggest fault is when I play hybrids like a wood, as soon as I set it up and hit like an iron, success. 
I bought a PING G-410 3H and a 4H when the COVID thing hit for about $210 with shipping on the bay, mostly because of what I read,,, first shot on range, instant success for me, high and log, 3H a little lower than my 5 wood.
The only reason I carried a 3H and 4H before was to pull balls out of brush and water. Tried Taylormade, Titleist, Adams,,,, settled on Cleveland Mashie since I had success hitting them once in a while.

#truth a hybrid isn't a wood and shouldn't be played like one. Played with where it is in my stance and now it won't come out of the bag!

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Mavrik Max 9 degree loft w/ROUGE white X-Stiff 70g

Maverick Max 3W, 5W w/ROUGE white X-Stiff 70g

Mavrik Max 3H, KBS tour prototype 70/80 X-Stiff 80g

Speedblade 4-PW, AW, SW KBS Siff 85g

Ghost Sypder putter

bourbon to be drank neat

My first hybrids were Ping G 15s.  I hit them solidly, but they had a big offset, were very draw biased and I had to fight a hook with them.  I replaced them a couple of years ago with my Titleists that are adjustable and were fitted to me. Love them.

• :taylormade-small: Sim 2 Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R shaft
  • :taylormade-small:Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  •  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0311 Gen 6 Hybrids 3-28 and 31 degrees.
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • LAB DF3 putter - 33 inches long, 71 degree lie angle, Accra shaft
  • Bridgestone B X or Titleist Pro V-1x

I’m gaming 2 hybrids right now. No it’s not the Mizuno CLK’s I bought last year or whatever I bought the year before or even the year before that. They all sucked. (Certainly wasn’t my fault)

I’m gaming TM SLDR’s BUT what’s different about these are I stuck in some old Aldila VooDoo shafts in them. I had the heads in the garage and the shafts, perhaps from the Bush Administration, and I butt trimmed to he shafts to play standard steel shaft 3&4 iron lengths. It was meant as an experiment but I have never hit higher and straighter hybrids in my life.

I’m sure it is the shorter shaft is simply delivering the club head at the proper angle but so far there have been no hooks and I can hit fades or draws.

It turns out that the SLDR driver and 3 wood also got back in the bag this weekend. I reshafted my Mizuno ST190G and 3w and 5W but they were not set by Saturday so I played my M5 driver and SLDR 3w. But didn’t hit the M5 well so tried the SLDR on a Tensei Orange shaft and that is the flavor of the week.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I never really worried or thought about hybrids until I was buying my latest set of clubs and part of the deal was a free hybrid or 3 iron. I tried the hybrid and it found that the ball flight was better than the 3 iron and also the Epic was adjustable. For me I used to carry a 1-2 iron and could hit both really consistently, but the bad shots/off sweet spot were really bad. With the hybrid consistency has improved however the big difference is the off centre hits are so much better. I might loose 20-25m but are reasonable straight where I used to hood the irons.

I have tried driving irons and again they are ok but still not as forgiving as the hybrid.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001