deejaid

Ditching the Hybrid

Our Sponsors

I was on the range the other week hitting one of my Mac Custom 5 woods. THis kid beside me got curious and real politely asked me "Sir when did they start making hybrids out of wood?" He was sincere. I had to explain that it was not a hybrid but a real fairway wood back when woods were actually woods. As you know all of those Mac fairways are tiny even in it's day. Actually his new Callaway hybrid was a tad larger than my 5 wood. I told him if he was interested he could hit one. He really did not want to. I told him if he ever wanted to go to persimmon please see me. We talked and I know his Dad. I bet $20 I will know what his Dad will tell him. "Ole Stuey is ok but he is tied too much to the past with those outdated antiques" Funny thing is I am some 25 years older than his Dad and can beat him straight up from any tee using my antique equipment and him moderns. A lot of the regulars around my club will tell you tongue in cheek that I am "touched in the head" because I am always hitting those antique blades and wooden woods

I think all golfers are “touched in the head”

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I remember several years ago when hybrids first gained popularity. The majority of golfers played them IMO way too forward in their stance similar to their fairway woods. That position / stance caused me to severely hook the ball at times.

So I ditched the hybrids and went back to high lofted fairway woods which were longer in length but had much flatter lie angles and square / open club faces. I never turned those over.

Fast forward a few years and I started experimenting with Wishon hybrids because the hosel was bendable. Not pushing Wishon although that is my preferred component and I learned my club making/fitting from his books and later videos. I played Adams hybrids years ago (bendable hosels) and later Callaway (again bendable/adjustable).

The second thing and probably most important positive change  for me regarding hitting hybrids was from  watching an instructor ask a student, "why not hit down on your hybrid and play it like an iron"?

So I experimented with the ball position tweaked. It worked near instantly for me, the only challenge I had was I was actually hitting the ball way higher-- so I adjusted the loft and actually changed shafts (more mid-bend point/firmer tip) and have not looked back. My only concern today is the look of the hybrid in address position. That has to fit my eye or I don't commit to the swing. 

• Like 2

I've been going in the opposite direction, in a way, by removing fairway woods in favor of hybrid use.  Today's round, I'll be using 3-PW, SW, LW, with a #2 driving iron, and a 2h that I'm tuning down to 15*.

For the most part, I prefer the shorter club lengths one can get with hybrids, as well as the heavier shafts available.  My 2h has a 105g shaft.

Cobra Fly-Z+, Xcaliber Tour 7.5 TS, 44"; Cobra King LTD, HZRDUS Black 75, 6.5, 44.25"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"; TM Stage 2 Tour, SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, DGS300; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, Precision 6.5; 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram 1980 Tour Grinds, Dynamic S; 2-PW MacGregor Muirfield, Dynamic S; 1-PW Wilson Staff 78 Tour Blades, Dynamic S; 2-PW Ram TG-898, Nippon Super Peening Blue X
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, DGS300; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; Golden Ram TW276, DGS; Golden Ram TW282, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 56*, DGS
LW:  Maltby Design 60*, 1.05 sole, DGS; Maltby Design 60* 1.05 sole, NV105
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34", round no taper grip
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, or Kirkland Signature 3 pc, or TM TP5

I have come full circle on hybrids, initially loving them when I got back into the game 10 yrs ago, but then abandoning them once I started having hook problems. Now it seems like there are more options with adjustable hosels/weights and stout shafts. After a couple of failed trials with other options, I have enjoyed my 818 h2 with fade weight & lie angle, and 90g shaft. 

• Like 3

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ 9* w/ Ventus Blue 6X 

Fairway:   :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ 15* w/ Atmos Black 7X 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818H2 19* w/ Tensei White 90  

Irons: :cobra-small: King Forged CB w/ KBS $ Taper 130

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

My newest clubs are my 4w and 3h. Up to now I had no luck with fairways or hybrids and pulled them from my bag for a while. But that left me with nothing I could hit longer than 150 from the fairway. So I gave it another shot.

It’s still early but so far results have been positive. Today I hit both clubs more than anything else in my bag, and stayed out of trouble. Unheard of for me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IMG_1338.jpg
  • Like 3

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen1 0811X 12° driver w/Project X Evenflow Blue 55g shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 19° 3 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft
:tour-edge: Bazooka Platinum 23° Ironwood w/UST for TE graphite shaft
:tour-edge: HL4 5-6 Ironwood w/UST for TE graphite shafts
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 Tour+ irons 7-GW w/UST Competition Series graphite shafts
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact #3 putter

My newest clubs are my 4w and 3h. Up to now I had no luck with fairways or hybrids and pulled them from my bag for a while. But that left me with nothing I could hit longer than 150 from the fairway. So I gave it another shot.

It’s still early but so far results have been positive. Today I hit both clubs more than anything else in my bag, and stayed out of trouble. Unheard of for me!

IMG_1338.thumb.jpg.7bd7c82e997f56fc08765ca1ac08dcde.jpg

Great news!

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Mizuno JPX EZ 3W, 14U

Cobra Fly-Z Hybrid 18.5

Titleist 816 H1 23

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

On 2/7/2018 at 8:06 AM, deejaid said:

I feel I have given hybrids enough of a chance but these things don't work for me. I'm at a loss as to why. Perhaps I just need a fitting but I've tried small head hybrids; larger, almost fairway wood sized hybrids; both stiff and regular flex shafts and I've not found one that I am consistent and fully confident in. I have full confidence in my 3-wood as well as my 4-Iron, but that spot in the bag between the two I'm lost.

How many of you have switched from a hybrid to one of the new driving/fli hi irons that seem to have become pretty popular in the last few seasons?

For now, I'm just shafting up the 3-Iron again and it's going back in the bag.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I tested hybrids before ultimately choosing the G400 SFT 5w to compliment the 3w.  They just were not as consistent for me.  Plus, I was impressed that the shots I made from thick (like the fitter knocked into the ground) were better with the 5w than the hybrid.  I almost opted for the 7w as it too was easy and consistent.  There have been a few times I wish I had it but more times I'm glad I have the 5w... which I can throttle a little.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

What’s funny is how my game and bag has changed since I started this thread. Now that I am playing persimmon woods exclusively the hybrid isn’t even a consideration. I am carrying either 1,3,4,5 or 1,3,4 woods depending on which wedge configuration I take. I am also much more comfortable with my 3-iron so it’s in the bag regularly.

I really enjoy hitting higher lofted woods though. Even if I was playing modern woods I think I’d be looking at woods instead of hybrids.

• Like 4

WITB:

Louisville Smart Persimmon Driver

Louisville Niblick Persimmon 3 & 5 woods

Hogan UIHI 4-iron*

Hogan PTx Pro 5-7*

Hogan Icon 8-PW*

KZG 51 gap wedge

KZG 56 sand wedge

Rife Legend Z Putter

*denotes clubs being tested

57 minutes ago, deejaid said:

What’s funny is how my game and bag has changed since I started this thread. Now that I am playing persimmon woods exclusively the hybrid isn’t even a consideration. I am carrying either 1,3,4,5 or 1,3,4 woods depending on which wedge configuration I take. I am also much more comfortable with my 3-iron so it’s in the bag regularly.

I really enjoy hitting higher lofted woods though. Even if I was playing modern woods I think I’d be looking at woods instead of hybrids.

Well Deejaid, when we start seeing persimmon woods once again adorn the racks at Golf Galaxy, Dicks, etc., we'll point to you as the man who started the movement 🙂.  I still use a couple bamboo fly rods and those have maintained a dedicated user base - in fact have had a bit of a resurgence.

• Like 2

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

I’m struggling mightily w 5 hybrid. It’s so bad guys make sure their in back of me to stay from getting Kilt!
Digging out a 5w from the depths of the garage Monday. See what happens.

• Like 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

58 minutes ago, Rickp said:

I’m struggling mightily w 5 hybrid. It’s so bad guys make sure their in back of me to stay from getting Kilt!

Sometimes you just have to show a club who's boss.  My 5H did the same thing two weeks ago; took it out.  Put it back in today and hit two high second shots onto greens.  It must have learned its lesson.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

11 hours ago, Rickp said:

My biggest fault is when I play hybrids like a wood, as soon as I set it up and hit like an iron, success. 

I bought a PING G-410 3H and a 4H when the COVID thing hit for about $210 with shipping on the bay, mostly because of what I read,,, first shot on range, instant success for me, high and log, 3H a little lower than my 5 wood.

The only reason I carried a 3H and 4H before was to pull balls out of brush and water. Tried Taylormade, Titleist, Adams,,,, settled on Cleveland Mashie since I had success hitting them once in a while.

DRIVER: default_cobra-small.jpg.125f3712aad21ad9f7ca2c672e34a299.jpg  Cobra F-8 set at 10.5,  Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60 (R) 44 1/2 "

3 & 5 WOOD: default_callaway-small.jpg.a58e7c6760b71a9eb95d385ecc5d2200.jpg Callaway XR-16, Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 Red (R) 

IRONS 5-SW: default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-700, 2 upright, std loft  Alta CB (R) + 1/2"

HYBRID 3-4:  default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-410, 1 upright,  Alta CB 70 Red (R) + 1/2"

PUTTER: Byron Experimental GSS

My biggest fault is when I play hybrids like a wood, as soon as I set it up and hit like an iron, success. 
I bought a PING G-410 3H and a 4H when the COVID thing hit for about $210 with shipping on the bay, mostly because of what I read,,, first shot on range, instant success for me, high and log, 3H a little lower than my 5 wood.
The only reason I carried a 3H and 4H before was to pull balls out of brush and water. Tried Taylormade, Titleist, Adams,,,, settled on Cleveland Mashie since I had success hitting them once in a while.

#truth a hybrid isn't a wood and shouldn't be played like one. Played with where it is in my stance and now it won't come out of the bag!

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Mavrik Max 9 degree loft w/ROUGE white X-Stiff 70g

Maverick Max 3W, 5W w/ROUGE white X-Stiff 70g

Mavrik Max 3H, KBS tour prototype 70/80 X-Stiff 80g

Speedblade 4-PW, AW, SW KBS Siff 85g

Ghost Sypder putter

bourbon to be drank neat

My first hybrids were Ping G 15s.  I hit them solidly, but they had a big offset, were very draw biased and I had to fight a hook with them.  I replaced them a couple of years ago with my Titleists that are adjustable and were fitted to me. Love them.

• :ping-small: G Driver 10.5 Aldila Alta Regular Flex 55
  • :cobra-small: S2 5 wood Fujikura 65 FW Regular Shaft
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrids 21 and 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at D4 settings
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedges 54 and 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft
  • :cameron-small: Select Newport 2 putter 34 inch length
  • Golf ball :srixon-small: Q Star Tour or Z Star

I’m gaming 2 hybrids right now. No it’s not the Mizuno CLK’s I bought last year or whatever I bought the year before or even the year before that. They all sucked. (Certainly wasn’t my fault)

I’m gaming TM SLDR’s BUT what’s different about these are I stuck in some old Aldila VooDoo shafts in them. I had the heads in the garage and the shafts, perhaps from the Bush Administration, and I butt trimmed to he shafts to play standard steel shaft 3&4 iron lengths. It was meant as an experiment but I have never hit higher and straighter hybrids in my life.

I’m sure it is the shorter shaft is simply delivering the club head at the proper angle but so far there have been no hooks and I can hit fades or draws.

It turns out that the SLDR driver and 3 wood also got back in the bag this weekend. I reshafted my Mizuno ST190G and 3w and 5W but they were not set by Saturday so I played my M5 driver and SLDR 3w. But didn’t hit the M5 well so tried the SLDR on a Tensei Orange shaft and that is the flavor of the week.

• Like 1

Driver:      :mizuno-small:  ST190G on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Fairway:   :mizuno-small:  ST190TS 15° on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Hybrids     :mizuno-small:  CLK 22 & 25 (set to 20° & 23°) on Fujikura SPEEDER

Irons:     :mizuno-small:  MP5 5-P on True Temper Dynamic Gold

Wedges: :mizuno-small: MP-T5 52*, 56* & 60* on True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge

Putter:    :cameron-small: 2018 Select Newport 2

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:

Range Finder: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated

I never really worried or thought about hybrids until I was buying my latest set of clubs and part of the deal was a free hybrid or 3 iron. I tried the hybrid and it found that the ball flight was better than the 3 iron and also the Epic was adjustable. For me I used to carry a 1-2 iron and could hit both really consistently, but the bad shots/off sweet spot were really bad. With the hybrid consistency has improved however the big difference is the off centre hits are so much better. I might loose 20-25m but are reasonable straight where I used to hood the irons.

I have tried driving irons and again they are ok but still not as forgiving as the hybrid.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Epic Hybrid 18 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway Clubs

Callaway Big Bertha Putter - for when it is wet

La Jolla Putter with Flat Car Grip.

Preferred ball - Currently Costco Kirkland Performance 3 Piece but Seed 001 is preferred.