Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Anybody switch back to conventional from single length?

azstu324

I'm switching back and was wondering if anybody has had any issues.. Or was it just the right thing to do?

Sent from my VS985 4G using MyGolfSpy mobile app

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

I have. I briefly gamed a set of Cobra Forged Tour one length irons. Just couldn't get used to the long wedges. I think the idea has merit, it just wasn't the best fit for me. If I was fit for them( wasn't for the Cobras) I might even consider them again.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

I am one of the 2 mentioned by bulldog i really liked the one length concept but i lost all of my touch around the greens with the longer wedges. It didn't take me too long to switch back.

From my personal experience i would say a two length system would work better maybe wedges down to a 9 iron would be a gap or pitching wedge length and then 8 iron to 4 or 5 iron should be 6 iron length. A one length split set would work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am one of the 2 mentioned by bulldog i really liked the one length concept but i lost all of my touch around the greens with the longer wedges. It didn't take me too long to switch back.

From my personal experience i would say a two length system would work better maybe wedges down to a 9 iron would be a gap or pitching wedge length and then 8 iron to 4 or 5 iron should be 6 iron length. A one length split set would work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I were to go to one-length, this is what I would do. I already play PW-58* the same length (4 wedges), so I'd go everything above PW at the longer length.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

OP-why did you switch back? Thoughts on single length? Haven't tried it myself.

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

I had my irons retrofitted to a TLT system (True Length Technology) at Dan's Custom Golf Shop.  He came up with the math model for this concept and has been building these for many years.  Similar to SL where you are able to use the same stance throughout your set for a more consistent swing.  This is done by decreasing the gap in length from roughly 1/2" to much smaller, regapping loft and changing lie angles.  I am 6'2" and previously I had either hit the long or short irons well but not both on a given day.  Gap, sand and HL wedge are the same length which has been better for pitch shots but still having problems with chipping.  I went with Scor wedges and I have no feel with them.  Consistency of ball striking has improved and I would not go back to a regular set. 

I had Dan make some clubs for my 12 year old half way through the season last year and her ball striking improved dramatically.    Again, easier to consistently set up to the ball.  

Driver - Ping G410

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21 degree

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

Wedges - Taylormade MG3 50, 54, 58, SM9 60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3

I played the Wishon Sterling irons for about 1.5 years and really liked them.  I did switch out the gap wedge in the Sterling set with a Cobra one length GW because it looks a lot better and played a traditional length SW because it was easier to chip with around the green.  Playing the single length irons made golf much easier since you essentially only had to swing a 7 iron club the entire round and took a major variable out of play.  The flight on my 5 iron was a little low but I liked it when playing in windy conditions and could adjust it in my stance slightly if I needed a little higher shot.

I did recently switch back but not because I fell out of favor with them but because I was presented an opportunity to get a set of PXG irons at a price I couldn't turn down.  I'm not a fan of the stigma of the brand but I do love the way they feel and look.  I honestly wish I could make them into a set of single length irons but obviously that isn't possible.  

I kept the Sterlings just in case I want to go back to them again.  Luckily if I decide to sell the PXG's I can more than likely sell them for more than I paid which is a nice backup plan if they don't work out.

My bag is a revolving door!

I played the Wishon Sterling irons for about 1.5 years and really liked them.  I did switch out the gap wedge in the Sterling set with a Cobra one length GW because it looks a lot better and played a traditional length SW because it was easier to chip with around the green.  Playing the single length irons made golf much easier since you essentially only had to swing a 7 iron club the entire round and took a major variable out of play.  The flight on my 5 iron was a little low but I liked it when playing in windy conditions and could adjust it in my stance slightly if I needed a little higher shot.

I did recently switch back but not because I fell out of favor with them but because I was presented an opportunity to get a set of PXG irons at a price I couldn't turn down.  I'm not a fan of the stigma of the brand but I do love the way they feel and look.  I honestly wish I could make them into a set of single length irons but obviously that isn't possible.  

I kept the Sterlings just in case I want to go back to them again.  Luckily if I decide to sell the PXG's I can more than likely sell them for more than I paid which is a nice backup plan if they don't work out.

On year #2 with the Wishon sterling single lengths... I just went 5-P and play a set of std length wedges.  I find the wedges easier to hit with less than full shots.

I think that the Sterlings are good irons and have a nice design.  I was fitted for them last year and enjoy them but find them to be a bit on the 'game improvement' side.

I'm currently in the market to find a set of traditional "better player" irons that aren't designed for distance but more for shot shaping and spin/trajectory.

I've hit both and I think the hullabaloo about the single length stuff is hogwash.  I didn't find that much difference between traditional and single length; going from one to the other is no big deal.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

On year #2 with the Wishon sterling single lengths... I just went 5-P and play a set of std length wedges. I find the wedges easier to hit with less than full shots.

I think that the Sterlings are good irons and have a nice design. I was fitted for them last year and enjoy them but find them to be a bit on the 'game improvement' side.

I'm currently in the market to find a set of traditional "better player" irons that aren't designed for distance but more for shot shaping and spin/trajectory.

I've hit both and I think the hullabaloo about the single length stuff is hogwash. I didn't find that much difference between traditional and single length; going from one to the other is no big deal.

That's exactly what ended up doing. I played SL for a couple of seasons. I still kept a standard length SW and Lob in the bag and never had an issue with the integration. I just grew tired of the chunky look and massive offset of the game improvement style. The entire concept alone is for "game improvement" regardless of how they're made. Thats not meant to be a knock.. Just a fact. The offerings for forged/player-level irons is just so much more extensive and customizable. I compare the SL to driving a car.. A lot of us learn how to drive on a manual. In my dad's POV, a manual would teach me much more about driving and I look back and completely agree. Eventually we move to an automatic. Some folks enjoy the simplicity and effortless involvement with an automatic car.. but others, like me, want to be more involved with the driving experience because of the ability to be more engaged and be more in or out of control at any time. Of course it takes an extra level of awareness and skill to manage but its more gratifying in the end. If that makes any sense at all..

MAXFLI  Tour CG

That's exactly what ended up doing. I played SL for a couple of seasons. I still kept a standard length SW and Lob in the bag and never had an issue with the integration. I just grew tired of the chunky look and massive offset of the game improvement style. The entire concept alone is for "game improvement" regardless of how they're made. Thats not meant to be a knock.. Just a fact. The offerings for forged/player-level irons is just so much more extensive and customizable. I compare the SL to driving a car.. A lot of us learn how to drive on a manual. In my dad's POV, a manual would teach me much more about driving and I look back and completely agree. Eventually we move to an automatic. Some folks enjoy the simplicity and effortless involvement with an automatic car.. but others, like me, want to be more involved with the driving experience because of the ability to be more engaged and be more in or out of control at any time. Of course it takes an extra level of awareness and skill to manage but its more gratifying in the end. If that makes any sense at all..

I like it!  Good analogy... I'm ready to get on the autobahn but will keep my minivan in case I need to go for a Sunday drive.   :P

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

I like it! Good analogy... I'm ready to get on the autobahn but will keep my minivan in case I need to go for a Sunday drive. :P

Exactamundo!

MAXFLI  Tour CG

I'm 6'4” tall. I would love to give the cobra one length a try. I think it would help me a ton. I tend to dip a little on the down swing. I'm gaming Wilson M3's that I was fitted for that I love, but the one length intrigues me!

If you were to try them I'd suggest demoing the top end and bottom end (5/PW) clubs; that's where you will see the most difference.  Almost all one length/single length clubmakers (Wishon, Cobra, etc.) use the length of either an 8i (usually Wishon) or 7i( usually Cobra) so demoing either of those won't be much help...  :D

Either way - as with most things - the shaft is going to be important.

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

The driving analogy was interesting.

I don't agree with it but it was interesting never the less.

MGS did a test on one length irons and came up with some conclusions about who might benefit from them. I fit one of those categories but am scared when I look at the wedges. Wedge play is critical to scoring for me, iron play far less so -

I don't think I would ever try the one length but I am curious if anyone here has a regular teacher and if so what he or she thought of the one length clubs.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Tom Wishon is one of the most respected in the industry.... and since he's semi-retired he's not afraid to tell it like it is... good stuff here.

https://www.golfsmarter.com/increased-consistency-and-confidence-more-on-the-science-behind-single-length-irons-with-tom-wishon/

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

The driving analogy was interesting.

I don't agree with it but it was interesting never the less.

MGS did a test on one length irons and came up with some conclusions about who might benefit from them. I fit one of those categories but am scared when I look at the wedges. Wedge play is critical to scoring for me, iron play far less so -

I don't think I would ever try the one length but I am curious if anyone here has a regular teacher and if so what he or she thought of the one length clubs.

Not sure why or what you disagree with on the learning to drive analogy, but nevertheless...

I appreciate the MGS testing and respect it tremendously but when they begin to conclude who could benefit from things that gets in a very touchy area for me.  There are some obvious things on the edges (i.e. a brand new golfer probably shouldn't begin playing with a set of clubs with a tiny sweet spot and no forgiveness) but when you get into the middle I don't need anyone or any site telling me whether I'd benefit....drives me crazy... (side note: I just read yesterday that Mark Calc still uses a Ping Eye2 XG 60* wedge...and he won on the Champions tour - would "they" say he wouldn't benefit from this club?)

As far as single/one length irons go most of the people that I know or have researched that play them use standard length wedges (anything with a loft higher than the PW (50+)); I think the intent is not on the bottom of the set (8/9/P) but more on the top end and to make it easier/less complex to hit the longer irons as well as to simplify the game (swing repeatability, consistency, etc.)

To answer your question - I don't have a teacher/coach...can't afford to do that AND pay to play golf as well.  It's like buying a fancy new car but not having enough money to put gas in it so it sits in your driveway - another car analogy! 

However, I too am curious what teachers think...  :)

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

For spies in the Richmond, VA area, someone is unloading their Cobra F7 one-lengths on Craigslist for $350.

https://richmond.craigslist.org/spo/d/golf-clubs-iron-set-king-cobra/6502613033.html

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Single length.After being diagnosed with serious lower back issues,but told I could still swing but not walk a course,I started investigating single length clubs.I found a company 1 Iron golf in Ohio.I emailed them in the fall of 2011 and was surprised to get a call from the owner,David Lake.After our discussion I decided to give them a try.very limited golf in 2012 button 2013 on 2-3 rounds a week.love them.more consistent hits better yardages between clubs Appx 12 yds for me.Even had them tested on a bet and my 1iron clubs came out better than buddy's pings.for balance flex consistency and head weight and loft.Will never go back.was hitting wilson staff tour blades in my younger days.

Single length.After being diagnosed with serious lower back issues,but told I could still swing but not walk a course,I started investigating single length clubs.I found a company 1 Iron golf in Ohio.I emailed them in the fall of 2011 and was surprised to get a call from the owner,David Lake.After our discussion I decided to give them a try.very limited golf in 2012 button 2013 on 2-3 rounds a week.love them.more consistent hits better yardages between clubs Appx 12 yds for me.Even had them tested on a bet and my 1iron clubs came out better than buddy's pings.for balance flex consistency and head weight and loft.Will never go back.was hitting wilson staff tour blades in my younger days.

• 2 years later...

I'm late to this party but I played the one length for about 18 months, but just can't get any real consistency from my longer irons, plus the gapping from 6-4 is basically 5 yards.  So I'm going to try to make the switch back to traditional.  I'm hoping to be able to flight my wedges and low irons (8-AW) lower with the Apex Combo set I picked up and then get a little more distance out of the 5 and 4 iron. We'll see I'm hopeful at least! How did everyone else's switch go? 

Ping G430 Max 9* turned up to 10* in draw setting X-Stiff Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 60

Srixon ZX 3w Ventus Velocore Blue 7s

Ping G425 5w X-Stiff Ping Tour 70 

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

Srixon ZX& 7-PW  Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 50* 54* 58* TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Spinner

See the source image Phantom X5 Putter

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond <>