GolfSpy Stroker

Fitting - one and only one choice

If, for whatever reason (financial, time, etc.), you can only get fit for one of the below which would you choose and why?

* Driver/fairway woods

* Irons/hybrids

* Wedges

* Putter

There are obviously benefits for each... getting off the tee and in the fairway... getting it on the green and close... getting it as close to or into the hole..

Where you at spies??

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If, for whatever reason (financial, time, etc.), you can only get fit for one of the below which would you choose and why?

* Driver/fairway woods

* Irons/hybrids

* Wedges

* Putter

There are obviously benefits for each... getting off the tee and in the fairway... getting it on the green and close... getting it as close to or into the hole..

Where you at spies??

If you're making me choose? Irons. Getting fit for irons and learning I needed them 2* flat turned a rope hook into a gentle draw. It made all the difference in the world. I figure I can A/B test other clubs.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Easy one here. Irons.

A full iron fitting will not just help you find the best head/shaft/length/lie combination for you, but also optimize your gapping. No other fitting effects so many shots in so many ways and having consistent gaps is so damn beneficial and something that many amateurs ignore.

• Like 2

I am going with irons as well.  Minimize the dispersion and learn your distances and you will hit more greens.  Takes pressure off your short game which is where I lose most of my strokes. 

• Like 2

At my current stage in golf?

Putter.

The old saying drive for show, putt for dough. I 3 putt way too much.

I can make due with an off the shelf iron set, I'm sure a properly fit set would help in some way, but I'm already super confident and know what to expect 3-PW. Only takes me a few practice sessions and a round to get used to new irons.

Driver/woods , I feel for me once I find the right shaft it will be buried with me. This would probably be the most beneficial for my game.

But I'm still sticking with the putter.

• Like 1

I'm satisfied with my bag so my choice would be driver. I know if I stay out of the trees and closer to the fairway I score well.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

If you're making me choose? Irons. Getting fit for irons and learning I needed them 2* flat turned a rope hook into a gentle draw. It made all the difference in the world. I figure I can A/B test other clubs.

Was it standard lie irons causing your hooks or swing plane or combo of both?

I'm going with irons because you hit so many more shots that could affect your overall performance.  

• Like 1

Was it standard lie irons causing your hooks or swing plane or combo of both?

I'm going with irons because you hit so many more shots that could affect your overall performance.

Standard lie irons came into the ball toe up, pointing the face left of my path. I used to have to hang every approach shot right of the green just to hit the left side.

• Like 2

Standard lie irons came into the ball toe up, pointing the face left of my path. I used to have to hang every approach shot right of the green just to hit the left side.

Did you notice scratch marks on the toe of your irons? 

* Driver/fairway woods

* Irons/hybrids

* Wedges

* Putter

Where you at spies??

Not even close, w/out looking at the thread, irons. Used most, can get meaningful speed, flight spin characteristics to extrapolate to other aspects of the bag. Do it.

• Like 1

Irons would be my choice. Driver, limited use. Putter, much more than fitting involved. Wedges, second most important, but fewer full shots.

• Like 1

I'll say driver. I was fitted years ago for irons and since I build my own and am a pretty decent iron player I feel confident in what I bag.

I've never been fitted for a driver and while my irons were fit old school (no computers), I feel driver and all the information gained from a proper modern driving fitting would help my game the most.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Did you notice scratch marks on the toe of your irons?

They were 10 years old when I got rid of them. They had scratches and bag chatter all over. But being too upright for me, shouldn't I have noticed undue wear on the heel side?

• Like 1

They were 10 years old when I got rid of them. They had scratches and bag chatter all over. But being too upright for me, shouldn't I have noticed undue wear on the heel side?

The majority of my shots are hooks and I notice scuff on the toe side. Just curious and glad you got hooked up with the correct lie.

• Like 1

The majority of my shots are hooks and I notice scuff on the toe side. Just curious and glad you got hooked up with the correct lie.

Without seeing your swing there is a general reason why this is happening to you. If you're hooking while digging the toe you're likely sliding into and coming out your posture (standing up) as you try to move your swing around your body. You're closing the club face so fast that you try and save it by raising your hands (causing you to slide into the ball and stand up). Thus the toe goes down into the ground but you still manage to get hook the ball because of how fast your releasing the club.

What this full video OG. It will help you understand what you are experiencing and how simply flattening your irons isn't the simple answer especially if you're digging the toe now

https://youtu.be/CF5KFVl2gvY

• Like 2

Without seeing your swing there is a general reason why this is happening to you. If you're hooking while digging the toe you're likely sliding into and coming out your posture (standing up) as you try to move your swing around your body. You're closing the club face so fast that you try and save it by raising your hands (causing you to slide into the ball and stand up). Thus the toe goes down into the ground but you still manage to get hook the ball because of how fast your releasing the club.

https://youtu.be/CF5KFVl2gvY

That is exactly what it feels like . Very interesting!

That is exactly what it feels like . Very interesting!

What this full video OG. It will help you understand what you are experiencing and how simply flattening your irons isn't the simple answer especially if you're digging the toe now
  • Like 1

Yea I did watch and it's very interesting stuff. Thanks Joe! That's intriguing to say the least.

As someone who spent the good part of 2016 and half of 2017 with your issue, I can't recommend getting a lesson more. I actually got fitted in 2016 and my fitter commented that the ball flight (tendency to over-draw shots) dictates I could go flatter, but the lie tests show that my toe is already too far down. He mentioned it's a swing issue and he recommended I get that sorted out before I did any adjustments on my irons.

• Like 1