GolfSpy Stroker

Fitting - one and only one choice

Definitly irons for all the reasons above. I once misfit myself in a self iron fitting and it was the most expensive mistake I've made in many years.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Tough one but I'll say irons then driver. Putter is important, but it should be easier for most players to pick a putter for themselves. It's a way simpler stroke and you can try dozens if not hundreds of putters in a day at a good shop, and you don't need a launch monitor.

• Like 1

Ok, if you're asking for what I would get fit for, it's driver. Haven't been to a driver fitting in nearly 10 years and while there hasn't been much swing change, tech has.

If you're asking the regular golfer, I'm going to be the first to say it, but I'm going for wedges. Let's be honest, the usual golfer doesn't hit many greens and is usually scrambling for pars. That's not even counting shots from hazards or difficult lies. Easiest way to get around that is to become killer from 100 and in by hitting it closer, so wedges are super important in my opinion.

• Like 1

Pretty simple - in a typical round I use putter most, driver next, wedges, irons or hybrids/fairway last.

But some of the putts are meaningless in that I could use any club in the bag to hole them.

So fitting priority becomes: Driver, putter, wedges, irons, other stuff.

Plus honestly I've been fit for irons so many times that I know what will work (it may not be dead on perfect but I can get myself in the ball park which is good enough for my game).

Driver, putter, wedges however - those need to fit.

• Like 1

If I could only get fit for one it would be irons. They currently are the only clubs I am fit for. I have a driver fitting later this month.

• Like 1

Someone asked Peter Finch this same question and ... a little surprising... his recommendation was the putter.

you use it at least once on every hole. usually twice, sometimes 3, 4 or 5 times.   :D

• Like 1

I'll chime on on this one.... Driver!

But this really comes down simply to the fact that this is currently the biggest struggle in my bag, and I actually have a fitting scheduled for tomorrow.

Someone asked Peter Finch this same question and ... a little surprising... his recommendation was the putter.

you use it at least once on every hole. usually twice, sometimes 3, 4 or 5 times. :D

If you're using it more than three times per hole, you need to work on that quick rake (see clubproguy on Twitter)

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

While researching instructors a LOT of them state that the 3 most important clubs in your bag are (not necessarily in this order) Driver, Wedge, Putter.  If you can MASTER those then you should be able to score well.

This leaves the poor irons at the end of the list in regards to fitting, but they're typically the first thing someone gets fit for (driver is probably next).  I wonder if it's simply due to the fact that there are more of them in the bag than any other club?

I've been fit for everything but wedges.  I should really do a wedge fitting this year.

• Like 1

I got fitted for irons and found that my 2* up and 1/2” long weren't right for me. I'm 6'2” and stayed with the +1/2” but standard lie but my 55* and 60* wedges are now 1* flat. Big change and way better contact and dispersion. Also recoil shafts. Great set up.

Really surprised there are so many votes for irons.  I would have bet driver would be number 1 and putter would be close behind.  

Initially I would have said driver but the previous responses have made me second guess myself.  

• Like 1

100% Irons! Getting them fit seems to be the key to a higher degree of success from what I'm experiencing. I've found that having a clear and concise knowledge of gapping is essential, otherwise how would you know which one to select after you've drilled your tee shot into the woods? I am finally having my full bag evaluated this Sunday and am hoping to better understand where I sit with what I got. My #1 priority is to get an accurate gap chart made up vs. the one I've "guessed" on since getting started last September. Then I'll have my driver & fairways looked at, but it's gotta be all about the irons baby!

Driver without question. My lowest rounds ever are with off the rack Irons. Been fit the last few sets of irons and they have been hit or miss. Then again I am standard size height and wrist to floor for about every manufacturer.

It's a putter for me for sure. I use it the most and I have a lot of rotation in my stroke. Something to limit that (or how much I need to fix) would be great. If the pros can be this off, I think I need to make sure I've got something that is correct. http://www.golfmagic.com/equipment-news/dustin-johnson-changes-his-putter-sightline-proving-why-custom-fitting-key

I've never had a good driver fitting and I have that opportunity coming up soon at Club Champion.  I'm also going through an experiment with my irons with a local fitter who has the ping fitting cart.   This will be on going for a period of time as I try my irons on the course and checked via lie board, tape, and monitor. If not to my suiting my friend will tweak the demo iron until we get it right.  Once spot on I will have my irons sent back to ping to adjust the lie at the factory and paint the correct color code on the clubs.  

Driver fitting will be my most important from here forward as I want to find the best fit for me. 

• Like 1

Really surprised there are so many votes for irons. I would have bet driver would be number 1 and putter would be close behind.

Initially I would have said driver but the previous responses have made me second guess myself.

Don't unless the second guess is putter.

I'm kind of stunned that so many people from MGS would say iron. We should know better.

It really should be all of them but clearly driver/putter lead the pack in regards to usage, importance and individual need.

• Like 2

Don't unless the second guess is putter.

I'm kind of stunned that so many people from MGS would say iron. We should know better.

It really should be all of them but clearly driver/putter lead the pack in regards to usage, importance and individual need.

Chose iron because to me it's that hardest to fit by myself. I can pretty easily get myself dialed in to a reliable driver/shaft combo, but getting proper iron shafts and distance gaps is a whole other ballgame

I'm gonna lean towards irons but putter is very close. I'm in the same boat as jlukes finding the right irons for me is much harder to do alone than the other clubs.

I was in this exact scenario and I chose driver. With what that one club costs I wanted to make sure it was the right one.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 w/ Diamana X 70g B4 setting

Irons: TaylorMade R7 TP 4-PW S300 shafts 1* upright

Titleist Vokey Wedges 50-54-58

Cobra Fly-z 16.5 FW

Adams Pro Boxer hybrid 18*

6.5 index, RH, Cleveland, OH