TESTERS WANTED! ×

Putter Tech, Most Wanted Testing - personal vs group performance

cnosil

This is actually a continuation of some posts that were in the EvnRoll thread.  We decided to create a new thread since it started getting a bit off topic as we started taking about most wanted testing and personal vs. group performance.  

I understand that the consensus statement provided from MGS is that generally speaking each of us would benefit in performance when comparing tech vs no tech on a putter. From a statistical standpoint, I understand that it is able to be quantified using strokes gained that comparing tech vs no tech (say evnroll vs scotty cameron) in a GENERAL sense the Evnroll will outperform the Scotty consistently and over the course of a season lead to a lower net putt count over the Scotty. I understand that.

My question lies in this. When you apply the individual golfer to the equation does this statement change? Do we each bring individual overriding factors that make one type of putter (tech or no tech) perform better for us than another? If that ISN'T the answer, then how can we not apply a blanket statement to the golfing population that every one of us should use the best performing tech equipped putter bar none? How could the Huntington beach #1outperform the Evnroll for you personally, but yet statistically be the best putter for everyone?

The above was GolfSpy Shawn's last post/question in the thread.  I'll take each topic/comment and address separately.

I also agree with the MGS statement that each of us can benefit from the tech we are discussing in the thread.  I also believe that it can benefit players at the highest level where even 1 stroke per round can significantly increase money winnings.  I agree that strokes gained is a way to measure putting stats to see how well a player/putter performs over time.  

Regarding the question about application to an individual golfer, I believe some of the statements change.   Every player has tendencies in their putting stroke based on setup and how they make the putting stroke.  Because of this people perform better with different putter configurations.   Some strokes are best suited for face balanced, some for 4:30 toe hang and others for toe down.  Some strokes require more or less loft based on the stroke of the player.  Basically,  If the putter I am using doesn't fit my stroke,  it may not perform as well as one that better fits my stroke.

During the testing,  an individual is provided a series of putters that may not be the right length or right lie angle or loft.  As an individual tester as the testing goes on,  i become more familiar with the green and the speed so putters later in the test perform better than earlier putters.  This is accommodated from a group perspective by randomizing the order of putters.   Strokes gained is based on total strokes from a distance and does not take dispersion into account.  Strokes gained needs more strokes to become statistically significant.  As an individual I roll 6 putts from a distance.  Let's consider the following performances:

putter A makes 1 putt and the other 5 are are within a 4 foot diameter circle (balls are left, right, short, and long) and I make all the second putts.

putter B misses all putts but the 6 putts are withing a 1 foot diameter circle and I make all the second putts.  

While the miss/make is extreme from an individual perspective putter A has a better strokes gained number,  but I personally would rather be putting with putter B because over the long haul I would  most likely have a better strokes gained average.  From the group perspective you gain more statistical significance, but based on how putters fit the player, the individual putter performance may not be 100% accurate.   

Performance varies from putter to putter and from day to day.  The day to day variations may impact my ability to make putts and may elevate one putter over another.

Given a properly fitted putter, the face technology that we are discussing  definitely provides benefit.  Speed issues resulting from off center hits is mitigated by providing more consistent distances.   After thinking about the face more,  I also believe that I conceptually understand how the dispersion adjustment works.  Since players are more likely to miss hit longer putts,  the variable depth grooves come into contact with the ball and may launch the ball slightly left or right from where the face is pointing.  While the ball doesn't actually curve toward the middle during the roll,  it rolls on a path more toward the target line.  

Without a properly fit putter,  the application of "tech" to a putter may or may not provide benefit.   The benefit will be based on what type of issues the player has with their stroke.  I think there is benefit to the face technology and that it can help a players overall putting performance.  

Overall,  i think the tests are operated in the best manner possible based on what is sent in for testing,  the ability to custom fit,  and timelines.   I think that the group performance results work well for most players since they buy off the rack based on looks,  feel, and rolling a few putter on an instore putting green.   I am pretty sure that MGS still advocates personally testing the putters to see what works best for you.  

Just my personal thoughts on testing, putters, and tech/no tech.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I think that's a great response and opening thoughts on this topic. Overall my question simply lies in the idea of not only tech vs no tech, but also whether or not specific tech makes a difference to a particular kind of player? Like would one type of golfer fit in Evnroll better, but another would benefit from ping grooves and yet another from Huntington Beach putters?

Basically, how do we narrow this down to make the statement more specific and also more applicable to people on the forum/in our community?

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

Great read cnosil. I'm glad you took the time to put all of these thoughts down as it provides us a little peek behind the curtain of the testing.

I like to relate the Most Wanted tests to Vegas odds. Based on the large sample, Evnroll would give you the best chance to succeed if you're picking blindly but a long shot can still hit for an individual golfer. Putting is SO SO SO personal. The best fit for any given golfer might not even crack the top 5.

I learned a little during my cross test and here's a few things I wish they'd incorporate into Most Wanted:

1) Quality of Miss

I think the distance of your second putt matters more than whether you made it or not. You want to make golf as easy as possible and tap ins give you confidence where working hard to clean up only lets you feel relieved that you didn't mess it up.

2) Real Putts with Real Break on Real Grass Greens

I understand the point of normalizing data with flat putts, but you just don't see flat putts on the course. This provides the most realidtic data. Couple this with quality of miss and you've got a real good picture of how well the putter is rolling it. I don't know about the rest of you amateurs, but my stroke feels different for L to R, R to L, uphill, downhill, and straight putts.

3) Lag Putts

20ft putts are closer than I expected once you mark it off. At the same token, 5ft is further than I thought in my head. I would like to see something in the range of 50ft (also) to give a better example of a putters lag putt ability.

Chris, what do you think could be done to better fit the putters to the players in the Most Wanted tests?

Sideways thought of the day:

They should make putters for fitting/testing with removable heads. That way I could take my (plays like) 36" shaft with a SS Slim 3.0 and stick it on all the different putter heads for a true head to head test.

I think that's a great response and opening thoughts on this topic. Overall my question simply lies in the idea of not only tech vs no tech, but also whether or not specific tech makes a difference to a particular kind of player? Like would one type of golfer fit in Evnroll better, but another would benefit from ping grooves and yet another from Huntington Beach putters?

Basically, how do we narrow this down to make the statement more specific and also more applicable to people on the forum/in our community?

That's a good thought. I guess the million dollar question is: why do the pros putt so well with the putters they use when amateurs can't reproduce the same results? The putters the pros use historically finish lower in the Most Wanted rankings.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

As I mentioned in the other thread, I liken the Evnroll tech to bulge and roll in drivers.

Bulge and roll is in every single driver on the market because it is technology that works.  However, this technology does not fix club path or face issues caused by the person swinging the club.  If I come over the top with a closed face, that ball is going left, and no amount of bulge and roll is going to fix that.  Bulge and roll will fix/mitigate misses across the club face where the path & face are not causing any additional problems.

Take that back to the putter side of things, and that poor path and/or face angle can be caused by 1) a poor stroke caused by an ill-fitting putter or 2) just a bad putting stroke.   No amount of Evnroll grooves will correct that sort of thing, but those grooves will fix/mitigate misses across the club face where the path & face are not causing any additional problems.

Regarding the testing process, I am excited to see where this thread goes.  I don't think any website, magazine or youtuber tests golf clubs like MGS.  They are way ahead of the pack.  That being said, there is always room for improvement and I am interested in what some other people have to say

They should make putters for fitting/testing with removable heads. That way I could take my (plays like) 36" shaft with a SS Slim 3.0 and stick it on all the different putter heads for a true head to head test.

That's a good thought. I guess the million dollar question is: why do the pros putt so well with the putters they use when amateurs can't reproduce the same results? The putters the pros use historically finish lower in the Most Wanted rankings.

First one - That would be tough because putters have such varying lengths in the hosel.  Not even taking in to account single bend and double bend shafts that go straight in to the head.  Now if you have several different putter personally that all take a similar shaft and have similar length hosels I'm guessing you could use club connex adapters and make it work.  I would guess it would have to be plumbers necks where the shaft installs into the hosel vs a flow neck where the hosel installs into the shaft though.

Why do the pro's putt so well with putters that don't crack the top 5 in MGS Most Wanted?  Because they are pro's.  They are just flat out better than us and every single aspect of the putter they are using is dialed in to their stroke.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Why do the pro's putt so well with putters that don't crack the top 5 in MGS Most Wanted? Because they are pro's. They are just flat out better than us and every single aspect of the putter they are using is dialed in to their stroke.

And, I would think, that EVERY pro has their putter fitted to them, and they aren't ever off the rack.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Based on my personal opinion,  the grooves in the Evnroll are far superior to ping and the cleveland.  I am amazed at the distance control I get when rolling an Evnroll and how a putt I think I didn't hit well rolls the right distance.  

I don't think you can force the tech down peoples throats and it sometimes feels that way.  There are a lot of opinions to overcome that I am not sure you can.   The "isn't used by pro" example is false but until they see it in the winners circle some people think it lacks credibility.  The advantage to the Ping and Cleveland lines is that they have more models with the tech face that may enable people to get a look they like.  Both Jlukes and I like the evnroll but would prefer black and maybe a sightdot.  I think that the knowledge of evnroll is out there,  it is just difficult for people to get their hands on some of the models to give them a try.  

2) Real Putts with Real Break on Real Grass Greens

I understand the point of normalizing data with flat putts, but you just don't see flat putts on the course. This provides the most realidtic data. Couple this with quality of miss and you've got a real good picture of how well the putter is rolling it. I don't know about the rest of you amateurs, but my stroke feels different for L to R, R to L, uphill, downhill, and straight putts.

3) Lag Putts

20ft putts are closer than I expected once you mark it off. At the same token, 5ft is further than I thought in my head. I would like to see something in the range of 50ft (also) to give a better example of a putters lag putt ability.

Chris, what do you think could be done to better fit the putters to the players in the Most Wanted tests?

2)  utilizing breaking putts adds another variable the player has to evaluate; did they read the putt correctly.  With all straight putts you can focus more on how well a person rolls the ball.  I think breaking putts would be a negative to the tests and further complicate the evaluation of the results.

3) 50 foot is a lot of distance to setup for.  A 20 foot straight putt gives you only .5* of error on the face angle to make the putt.  It is a low percentage putt.

Fitting:  I don't think there is a lot that can be done to fit the testers;  players just have to adapt.  Not the best situation,  but it probably is more representative of how most players pick a putter.   They go to the store, find one that looks nice,  roll a couple of putts, and declare that putter as the one they need. 

Pros:  Because they practice a lot and have build their strokes around how the putters work.  Don;t think pros are perfect,  they also have problems with their strokes.  Pros can even improve,  look at their putting stats and they miss putts inside of 5 feet and they 3 putt.  Pros are generally pretty particular about how far they roll the ball with a particular stroke length.  What I have found with the evnroll is that the grooves actually have a reduced distance on center strikes than other putters.   This is because center strikes impart less energy than on misshits which is how they even out the center and mishit distances.   

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Great topic, enjoying reading people's thoughts and perspectives.

This does highlight the biggest weakness in the whole Most Wanted testing process, that is of unfitted clubs being tested. I'm not sure (actually pretty certain) if there is a way around it.

I've been having a read through some of last years tests, in particular players irons. I'm interested in the Mizuno JPX900 Tours, and the shafts available at no extra charge run to 30+ options, I'm sure all the top performers in this category have at least a few no extra charge options. Who knows how the final results would have panned out if everyone was fitted to their optimal no upcharge shaft.

I fully understand that to fit every tester would be incredibly expensive and time consuming, but in terms of being as scientific as possible it would be interesting to see if overall results varied.

Do any of the companies provide a fitting cart set up to MGS? Something along the lines of the Mizuno set up, but with long, mid and short irons would be sensational.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

I'm not saying the intermediate fitting steps or breaking/long putts would be "easy" to pull off in the testing. They would be very difficult, but not impossible.

"Very difficult is winning a Nobel Peace Prize, impossible is eating the Sun"

If MGS did everything the "easy" way they wouldn't be who they are. Yes these things would take additional effort to make them happen, but I fully believe you could execute with careful thought and planning.

This is just basic process improvement. It's all a matter of working out the details once the big picture is clear.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Based on my personal opinion, the grooves in the Evnroll are far superior to ping and the cleveland. I am amazed at the distance control I get when rolling an Evnroll and how a putt I think I didn't hit well rolls the right distance.

I don't think you can force the tech down peoples throats and it sometimes feels that way. There are a lot of opinions to overcome that I am not sure you can. The "isn't used by pro" example is false but until they see it in the winners circle some people think it lacks credibility. The advantage to the Ping and Cleveland lines is that they have more models with the tech face that may enable people to get a look they like. Both Jlukes and I like the evnroll but would prefer black and maybe a sightdot. I think that the knowledge of evnroll is out there, it is just difficult for people to get their hands on some of the models to give them a try.

2) utilizing breaking putts adds another variable the player has to evaluate; did they read the putt correctly. With all straight putts you can focus more on how well a person rolls the ball. I think breaking putts would be a negative to the tests and further complicate the evaluation of the results.

3) 50 foot is a lot of distance to setup for. A 20 foot straight putt gives you only .5* of error on the face angle to make the putt. It is a low percentage putt.

Fitting: I don't think there is a lot that can be done to fit the testers; players just have to adapt. Not the best situation, but it probably is more representative of how most players pick a putter. They go to the store, find one that looks nice, roll a couple of putts, and declare that putter as the one they need.

Pros: Because they practice a lot and have build their strokes around how the putters work. Don;t think pros are perfect, they also have problems with their strokes. Pros can even improve, look at their putting stats and they miss putts inside of 5 feet and they 3 putt. Pros are generally pretty particular about how far they roll the ball with a particular stroke length. What I have found with the evnroll is that the grooves actually have a reduced distance on center strikes than other putters. This is because center strikes impart less energy than on misshits which is how they even out the center and mishit distances.

Can't wait to share what my ER2 is going to look like in just a few weeks.

Also I spoke with Evnroll and they were surprised by the demand if the black models and are evaluating a retail release of them in the future

Thank for posting the statement and the updated diagram. Seems to confirm my thoughts on how the grooves work to keep the ball online.

Curious why we don't see any on tour. Yeah, I understand they get “paid to play brand x”. But if these things are the best thing since sliced bread and I was playing for a few million a year, I'd want the absolute best product to get me fed ex points, trophies, and wins.

We all have the same objectives right? Hit the fairway with driver, good approach shots, and ultimately putt the ball in the hole.

Is there anyone that uses them on tour?

Why not? If they don't?

Curious why we don't see any on tour. Yeah, I understand they get “paid to play brand x”. But if these things are the best thing since sliced bread and I was playing for a few million a year, I'd want the absolute best product to get me fed ex points, trophies, and wins.

We all have the same objectives right? Hit the fairway with driver, good approach shots, and ultimately putt the ball in the hole.

Is there anyone that uses them on tour?

Why not? If they don't?

They just started, over the last few months, getting out on the tours and having a presence on the practice greens on the days before tournaments start.  Because they don't haven anyone officially under a sponsorship contract they cannot disclose if their are any being played on the major tours.

They just started, over the last few months, getting out on the tours and having a presence on the practice greens on the days before tournaments start. Because they don't haven anyone officially under a sponsorship contract they cannot disclose if their are any being played on the major tours.

Might have helped Rory yesterday.

Enjoying this discussion. Lots of knowledge here from our putter aficionados!!

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Regarding your use. Last year at the LPGA event I volunteer for, I saw a few in the bags of the players.

My thoughts on the reason. I think the technology causes the ball to come off the face with less velocity than the non evnroll grooves. Players have grooved their strokes to know how far the ball rolls with each stroke they make. I asked a question in another forum and a response I got from Sean Toulon indicated this was he case. He told a story of giving a putter to a player who rolled 1 putt said it was a nice putter but was too hit off the face.

Pro players tweak things but don't often completely overhaul.

Regarding your use. Last year at the LPGA event I volunteer for, I saw a few in the bags of the players.

My thoughts on the reason. I think the technology causes the ball to come off the face with less velocity than the non evnroll grooves. Players have grooved their strokes to know how far the ball rolls with each stroke they make. I asked a question in another forum and a response I got from Sean Toulon indicated this was he case. He told a story of giving a putter to a player who rolled 1 putt said it was a nice putter but was too hit off the face.

Great post! Heck, I even said in my review that it took me a bit to get used to, especially on the lag putting.  But once I got used to it, I really dialed it in and it became second nature.

I'd suspect there are also some Tour players still using the putter they'd won with back in college! (Kinda like the superstition about not washing your jersey, or your lucky underwear)

Plus as has been mentioned by others on these discussions - the EvnRoll technology is probably going to have less of a positive effect for a Tour Pro .. as they will tend to more consistently hit the dead center of the putter face more frequently vs non-pros.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Not sure how consistently pros hit the center but are fairly consistent. There are som puttlab measurements of pros and Tiger hits the ball .2 inches toward the toe.

Can't wait to share what my ER2 is going to look like in just a few weeks.

Also I spoke with Evnroll and they were surprised by the demand if the black models and are evaluating a retail release of them in the future

Hmm. I'm betting it will be BLACK!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Not sure how consistently pros hit the center but are fairly consistent. There are som puttlab measurements of pros and Tiger hits the ball .2 inches toward the toe.

Hmmm .. But does he always hit it right on that spot?

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Hmmm .. But does he always hit it right on that spot?

Pretty consistently, but he has a specific roll that he expects. Would the evnroll grooves change that?

you might be missing the point - robot testing might be better than human testing but even the humans would setup robot testing - center - heel - toe putts and could be off fraction of inches - anyway I agree with need to have confidence with ur putter - I think the point of the test is to show all of us that tech putters moi will have better distance control than non tech putters - thats is

Eric from Evnroll told me this was true as well - he said their grooves cause more lift. It was especially important for me because I ordered one with MORE loft than standard, because I setup with a little forward press before I begin my backstroke. Luckily, loft is easily correctable and he said I should just bend it back to the standard 2* if I'm having trouble getting the ball to the hole.

My stance on Evnroll is, why not? If I miss center a little bit and the grooves can help me get the ball to the hole to have a chance to go in, why wouldn't I play one? It's not going to magically put the ball in the cup, but if it even helps me sink 1 putt that I would've otherwise missed, it's worth it to me. Most Wanted testing is good because it gives you data to show that it has the potential to help you, with the numbers to back it up. With that said, what works for you might not work for everyone else, and vice versa. You should always test things for yourself. I went through 4 putters last year before I settled on the ER2 because I can line it up better than a mallet (ER7, Spider Tour Black, Odessey 2 Ball), but it is more stable than the Newport I gamed.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

First one - That would be tough because putters have such varying lengths in the hosel.  Not even taking in to account single bend and double bend shafts that go straight in to the head.  Now if you have several different putter personally that all take a similar shaft and have similar length hosels I'm guessing you could use club connex adapters and make it work.  I would guess it would have to be plumbers necks where the shaft installs into the hosel vs a flow neck where the hosel installs into the shaft though.

Why do the pro's putt so well with putters that don't crack the top 5 in MGS Most Wanted?  Because they are pro's.  They are just flat out better than us and every single aspect of the putter they are using is dialed in to their stroke.

Because Pro's practice, practice, practice, & then practice some more with their putting.  You can have the best technology in the world, but if you don't have good mechanics, it doesn't matter what you are putting with.  

Unless of course you are putting with this .... 

caddyshack_Dangerfield.jpg

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM6 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

• 1 month later...

Archived