Putter Tech, Most Wanted Testing - personal vs group performance

cnosil

Regarding your use. Last year at the LPGA event I volunteer for, I saw a few in the bags of the players.

My thoughts on the reason. I think the technology causes the ball to come off the face with less velocity than the non evnroll grooves. Players have grooved their strokes to know how far the ball rolls with each stroke they make. I asked a question in another forum and a response I got from Sean Toulon indicated this was he case. He told a story of giving a putter to a player who rolled 1 putt said it was a nice putter but was too hit off the face.

Pro players tweak things but don't often completely overhaul.

Great post! Heck, I even said in my review that it took me a bit to get used to, especially on the lag putting.  But once I got used to it, I really dialed it in and it became second nature.

CC5 sig.png

Regarding your use. Last year at the LPGA event I volunteer for, I saw a few in the bags of the players.

My thoughts on the reason. I think the technology causes the ball to come off the face with less velocity than the non evnroll grooves. Players have grooved their strokes to know how far the ball rolls with each stroke they make. I asked a question in another forum and a response I got from Sean Toulon indicated this was he case. He told a story of giving a putter to a player who rolled 1 putt said it was a nice putter but was too hit off the face.

I'd suspect there are also some Tour players still using the putter they'd won with back in college! (Kinda like the superstition about not washing your jersey, or your lucky underwear)

Plus as has been mentioned by others on these discussions - the EvnRoll technology is probably going to have less of a positive effect for a Tour Pro .. as they will tend to more consistently hit the dead center of the putter face more frequently vs non-pros.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Callaway Epic Speed 4W (Project X Cypher)
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 7W (Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway Super Hybrid 23 (PX Catalyst) and Big Bertha 19 5H (Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g, P2 Reflex Tour)
..all in a Datrek bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

Not sure how consistently pros hit the center but are fairly consistent. There are som puttlab measurements of pros and Tiger hits the ball .2 inches toward the toe.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Can't wait to share what my ER2 is going to look like in just a few weeks.

Also I spoke with Evnroll and they were surprised by the demand if the black models and are evaluating a retail release of them in the future

Hmm. I'm betting it will be BLACK!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Super Hybrid 17*, Aldila RIP Alpha 105 S, tipped 1”

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All clubs have :Arccos:  In the Winn Dri-Tac 2.0 Oversize grips

Not sure how consistently pros hit the center but are fairly consistent. There are som puttlab measurements of pros and Tiger hits the ball .2 inches toward the toe.

Hmmm .. But does he always hit it right on that spot?

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Callaway Epic Speed 4W (Project X Cypher)
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 7W (Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway Super Hybrid 23 (PX Catalyst) and Big Bertha 19 5H (Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g, P2 Reflex Tour)
..all in a Datrek bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

Hmmm .. But does he always hit it right on that spot?

Pretty consistently, but he has a specific roll that he expects. Would the evnroll grooves change that?

Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

you might be missing the point - robot testing might be better than human testing but even the humans would setup robot testing - center - heel - toe putts and could be off fraction of inches - anyway I agree with need to have confidence with ur putter - I think the point of the test is to show all of us that tech putters moi will have better distance control than non tech putters - thats is

Eric from Evnroll told me this was true as well - he said their grooves cause more lift. It was especially important for me because I ordered one with MORE loft than standard, because I setup with a little forward press before I begin my backstroke. Luckily, loft is easily correctable and he said I should just bend it back to the standard 2* if I'm having trouble getting the ball to the hole.

My stance on Evnroll is, why not? If I miss center a little bit and the grooves can help me get the ball to the hole to have a chance to go in, why wouldn't I play one? It's not going to magically put the ball in the cup, but if it even helps me sink 1 putt that I would've otherwise missed, it's worth it to me. Most Wanted testing is good because it gives you data to show that it has the potential to help you, with the numbers to back it up. With that said, what works for you might not work for everyone else, and vice versa. You should always test things for yourself. I went through 4 putters last year before I settled on the ER2 because I can line it up better than a mallet (ER7, Spider Tour Black, Odessey 2 Ball), but it is more stable than the Newport I gamed.

• Like 1

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi3 10* Tensei AV Raw Blue

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Modus 3 115 Wedge

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 w/ BGT Stability Tour

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X

First one - That would be tough because putters have such varying lengths in the hosel.  Not even taking in to account single bend and double bend shafts that go straight in to the head.  Now if you have several different putter personally that all take a similar shaft and have similar length hosels I'm guessing you could use club connex adapters and make it work.  I would guess it would have to be plumbers necks where the shaft installs into the hosel vs a flow neck where the hosel installs into the shaft though.

Why do the pro's putt so well with putters that don't crack the top 5 in MGS Most Wanted?  Because they are pro's.  They are just flat out better than us and every single aspect of the putter they are using is dialed in to their stroke.

Because Pro's practice, practice, practice, & then practice some more with their putting.  You can have the best technology in the world, but if you don't have good mechanics, it doesn't matter what you are putting with.  

Unless of course you are putting with this .... 

caddyshack_Dangerfield.jpg

• Like 4

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     TSi2 9* Project X HZRDUS RDX Smoke C3 setting

Fairways   HZRDUS Smoke 13.5* & 19* C3 setting

Driving Iron:   U500 17* Fujikura Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   T300 4 & 5 iron, T200 6 - W Project X 6.0 1* up

Wedges   SM7 48*, 52*, 56*

Putter    Newport 2

Ball   2020 ProV1

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry that I missed the meat of this discussion but enjoyed the read.

I'm convinced that there are tons of strokes to be gained through proper putter fitting and if I were to rank how to improve at putting it would be practice and fitting over tech. The wise player has all three.

Oh and who cares what putter the pros are gaming. Are you a pro or do you have a legitimate shot at becoming one? That's .01 percent of the golfing population.

The real question is what putter gives you the best chance to reduce three putts and hole putts inside of ten feet more frequently. That's the one you want to use.

More than likely knowing what equipment is in the average touring pro's bag tells you exactly what equipment you shouldn't bother looking at. :)

• Like 1

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

I'm sorry that I missed the meat of this discussion but enjoyed the read.

I'm convinced that there are tons of strokes to be gained through proper putter fitting and if I were to rank how to improve at putting it would be practice and fitting over tech. The wise player has all three.

Welcome to the discussion. [emoji3]

I agree with you assessment on how to improve putting skills. The bigger question is what does a proper fitting entail? Things like puttlab can tell you about your stoke, but what is the algorithm it uses to determine the proper putter? Do you fit a player to the putter or the putter to a player? Is there a right and wrong way to putt?

In my kind it is like any other club, is measuring to a theoretical perfect really the right thing to do?

Let's look at Rory at Bay Hill. Based on som assessments I have read, he went back to a putter that fits his stroke tendencies and went away from trying to achieve the perfect stroke. Best he has putter in a long time. Basically it best to not fight the tendencies that will come out when under pressure.

During Most Wanted Putter testing we were informed on how we were supposed to putt with some putters. Essentially the manufacturer was stating to get the benefits from this putter you must putt this way. Is that the right way to fit?

• Like 2

@cnosil

The charm of putting is that there are lots of ways to do it. Having a repeatable stroke that gets the ball rolling online and a predictable distance trumps the platonic ideal every day. IMO

I think you must fit the putter to the player. Of course if the player is attempting to achieve a change then that's part of the equation.

• Like 1

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.