TESTERS WANTED! ×

2018 Fantasy Golf

STUDque

A definite thanks to Stud. I thought this league was run to perfection. Big kudos to him!

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

• Replies 890
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me add my congratulations to Undershooter and my thanks to Stud as well. Great job to both of you!

It's too early for this, but I'm interested in bouncing around ideas for tweaking the scoring for next year. As a starting point, for what it's worth, here are the top 20 players from our league this season:

scoring.jpg

There are some interesting names on that list, in part due to volume: guys who play in a lot of tournaments, obviously, get more points.

I'm playing with the data in a spreadsheet (happy that FanTrax has the option to download all the stats). Here's the biggest thing to work through, in my estimation: our current scoring system rewards guys who play stroke play events like they're match play. At the extremes: a guy who goes out and plays 18 holes of par golf scores 0 points, while a guy who makes 9 birdies and 9 bogeys picks up 45 points for shooting the same even par round.

What else stands out to you guys in the scoring? Any suggestions for tweaks for next year?

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

I'd agree with MPatrick on that front that the current system rewards explosive play over consistency, but I'm also uncertain how to safeguard against that without penalizing those who want the big guns. It comes down to roster development in the draft I guess. 

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

MPatrick, if you'd be so inclined, could you throw up a screen grab of the top 20 ranked by FP/G. I think this is where Undershooter got us all. I just think he hit the high end of that number in short bursts.

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

SIK Golf Flo-C

I'm pretty much alright with the scoring. We can tweak it if yall want of course, but look how few of the guys from that list are on my team. Kirk was the only player I kept season long and he's toward the bottom. Speith I had up until the trade deadline. So the team that won it had no players in the top 15 in scoring and only 1 or 2 in the top 20. That shows that you had to mix and match players week to week to win. 

I think the absolute best way to score weekly head to head matchups is probably off money earned for the week or off of what place they finish. Even then, we need to have extra weight on the weeks of majors/ big events. That's why I think money might be the best way to do it. Thoughts?

MPatrick, if you'd be so inclined, could you throw up a screen grab of the top 20 ranked by FP/G. I think this is where Undershooter got us all. I just think he hit the high end of that number in short bursts.

Yep. if I had to guess, you're prolly correct. 

I'm pretty much alright with the scoring. We can tweak it if yall want of course, but look how few of the guys from that list are on my team. Kirk was the only player I kept season long and he's toward the bottom. Speith I had up until the trade deadline. So the team that won it had no players in the top 15 in scoring and only 1 or 2 in the top 20. That shows that you had to mix and match players week to week to win. 

I think the absolute best way to score weekly head to head matchups is probably off money earned for the week or off of what place they finish. Even then, we need to have extra weight on the weeks of majors/ big events. That's why I think money might be the best way to do it. Thoughts?

That's why I want to see that grid US, because if this came down to you hitting the high end of potential on your guys I don't think much needs to be tweaked. It comes down to the randomness of fantasy sports.

Also, the fact that you set up your team for big events didn't hurt either. You did go 13-2 during the 4 majors and The Players, but interestingly, 10-10 the remainder of the year while someone like myself who set up my team for longer more consistent success went 3-12 in the majors (all of them at the PGA) yet went 14-5-1 over the rest of the season.

SIK Golf Flo-C

That's why I want to see that grid US, because if this came down to you hitting the high end of potential on your guys I don't think much needs to be tweaked. It comes down to the randomness of fantasy sports.

Also, the fact that you set up your team for big events didn't hurt either. You did go 13-2 during the 4 majors and The Players, but interestingly, 10-10 the remainder of the year while someone like myself who set up my team for longer more consistent success went 3-12 in the majors (all of them at the PGA) yet went 14-5-1 over the rest of the season.

Yep you are correct. I also lost quite a few of those matchups during the non major season bc I was stupid unlucky and also bc I wouldn't add/drop players, so I could keep my roster intact. I'd intentionally lose battles to give myself a better chance to win the war. Not always a great strategy but one that paid off for me this season.

Yes, my team was definitely on the higher end of the avg scorer being high btw. My guys didn't play as much as some but often scored well when they did.

One reason I set my team up this way was that I noticed that the fantasy season went well into the playoffs. Meaning I needed guys that would end up high in the fedex cup if I wanted to have options in the playoffs.

Yep you are correct. I also lost quite a few of those matchups during the non major season bc I was stupid unlucky and also bc I wouldn't add/drop players, so I could keep my roster intact. I'd intentionally lose battles to give myself a better chance to win the war. Not always a great strategy but one that paid off for me this season.

Yes, my team was definitely on the higher end of the avg scorer being high btw. My guys didn't play as much as some but often scored well when they did.

One reason I set my team up this way was that I noticed that the fantasy season went well into the playoffs. Meaning I needed guys that would end up high in the fedex cup if I wanted to have options in the playoffs.

True, which is why this is a delicate seesaw to balance.

EDIT: Interesting look at the top 20 by appearance. Poprocks had 3 players, UnderShooter had 3, Jahren had 2 and somehow I had 3? Everyone else had 1.  

SIK Golf Flo-C

I think the current scoring strikes a nice balance in strategies. Win now, or win later? It gives all players in the league a chance regardless of draft position.

That said, the playoffs need to be restructured; which may impact season scoring. Not a good situation if there's 3 v 1 eligible players in the championship. Gonna ponder this one a bit to see what can be done and what makes sense. I think we've gotta work backwards from the playoffs. The league isn't far off, but it could use a tweak. I like the head-to-head aspect but agree we should work in some FedEx-style scoring too.

For this year, I just wanna thank everyone for playing it out and (mostly) filling your lineups every week. The parity and participation was strong. Congrats to Undershooter for playing us all.

For next year, let's keep brainstorming ideas. All ideas are welcome for changes to the format. I won't be starting it back up for the wrap around....gonna let the football season play out at a minimum. Probably will start back up sometime around the Hawaii tournament since that's when (imo) golf season really starts.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I think the current scoring strikes a nice balance in strategies. Win now, or win later? It gives all players in the league a chance regardless of draft position.

That said, the playoffs need to be restructured; which may impact season scoring. Not a good situation if there's 3 v 1 eligible players in the championship. Gonna ponder this one a bit to see what can be done and what makes sense. I think we've gotta work backwards from the playoffs. The league isn't far off, but it could use a tweak. I like the head-to-head aspect but agree we should work in some FedEx-style scoring too.

For this year, I just wanna thank everyone for playing it out and (mostly) filling your lineups every week. The parity and participation was strong. Congrats to Undershooter for playing us all.

For next year, let's keep brainstorming ideas. All ideas are welcome for changes to the format. I won't be starting it back up for the wrap around....gonna let the football season play out at a minimum. Probably will start back up sometime around the Hawaii tournament since that's when (imo) golf season really starts.

Something to think about Stud, WGC and opposite field event scoring and how it'll effect things, especially the Match Play

SIK Golf Flo-C

I'm not a big fan of using the fed ex cup points but pure prize money may be a good ticket. Or even keeping it the same and changing the playoff dates. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I didn't mean to follow the FedEx standings, I just meant we could use a system similar. Bear with me:

-Same 12 make the playoffs. Same 4 get byes.

-Each round, you carry over your points from the previous round. The loser of each head-to-head matchup is eliminated.

-The byes still accumulate points in that first week they just aren't at risk of elimination...and maybe even get a points boost....TBD. Mudfish from this year would've been in better shape since his guys had career weeks on his bye.

This maintains the head-to-head nature, rewards a good season, rewards those who have good rounds in the playoffs, and somewhat mitigates the risk of a finale determined by who's actually got players left at East Lake. I think this would be a good direction to go for our playoffs but it's not currently a feature so it'd have to be added.

What do y'all think?

2 hours ago, GolfSpy STUDque said:

So I didn't mean to follow the FedEx standings, I just meant we could use a system similar. Bear with me:

-Same 12 make the playoffs. Same 4 get byes.

-Each round, you carry over your points from the previous round. The loser of each head-to-head matchup is eliminated.

-The byes still accumulate points in that first week they just aren't at risk of elimination...and maybe even get a points boost....TBD. Mudfish from this year would've been in better shape since his guys had career weeks on his bye.

This maintains the head-to-head nature, rewards a good season, rewards those who have good rounds in the playoffs, and somewhat mitigates the risk of a finale determined by who's actually got players left at East Lake. I think this would be a good direction to go for our playoffs but it's not currently a feature so it'd have to be added.

What do y'all think?

I don't hate that at all. I've thought all along that the playoffs(real tour golf) should be be individual tourneys with a cumulative score for the tour champ winner.

• 4 weeks later...

Are we doing this again this year? I saw the league was renewed and then deleted. Different venue?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: PXG 0811XF 10.5 Regular flex

3W Cleveland HiBore XLS

3-5H: Callaway Steelhead XR

6I-AW Srixon ZX4 MKII

SW and LW Kirkland Signature (V2)

Putter: TaylorMade Rosa Monte Carlo

Ball: OnCore Elixer

Yes we are. Most likely with Fantrax again. I said it in the Fantasy Football thread but I'll say it here too:

@Berg Ryman will be coming along as co-commissioner for this season

Sorry about the emails, we renewed the league but booted everyone out so we can play with the settings. If we left everyone in, you'd get an email every time we changed the league rules. Just trying to come up with another playoff/season format that lends itself to more drama. I have a suggestion out to Fantrax for a really great idea but I'm not getting a warm and fuzzy that they'll incorporate it. 

Stay tuned! We'll open a new thread for 2019 when the time is right. 

BLADE COLLAR BOYS ARE READY FOR 2019

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Hey Guys, the new league for 2019 is up!  I'm locking this one so you can head over to the new thread to express your interest:

Archived