HardcoreLooper

Top Dogs vs Underdogs

In honor of Ted Potter's victory yesterday, who do you pull for down the stretch? Do you want to see DJ, JS, JT or another of the tour's stars add to their legacy? Or would you prefer that one of the tour's lesser lights have their moment in the sun?

I always pulled for the big names until the 1991 PGA Championship. The pro had the final round on in his office, and we kept sneaking in to catch the action. I was pulling for Ray Floyd, but the pro and the assistants were all pulling for an alternate from nowhere named John Daly. I asked them why, and the head pro looked me straight in the eye and said "because that might as well be me out there. This will change this guy's life." And from that moment on, I've always pulled for the little guy.

• Like 6

In honor of Ted Potter's victory yesterday, who do you pull for down the stretch? Do you want to see DJ, JS, JT or another of the tour's stars add to their legacy? Or would you prefer that one of the tour's lesser lights have their moment in the sun?I always pulled for the big names until the 1991 PGA Championship. The pro had the final round on in his office, and we kept sneaking in to catch the action. I was pulling for Ray Floyd, but the pro and the assistants were all pulling for an alternate from nowhere named John Daly. I asked them why, and the head pro looked me straight in the eye and said "because that might as well be me out there. This will change this guy's life." And from that moment on, I've always pulled for the little guy.

The underdog is always fun to pull for, the win is just so much sweeter when they aren't supposed to win. For example, Larry Mize in the Masters when he clipped Greg Norman

• Like 2

I generally pull for the underdog in sports. In golf I do sometimes too, but I cheered for Phil big time when he won his first Masters, and I'll cheer for him if he's in the hunt for the US Open. I like certain guys, and I dislike others. I won't cheer for Bubba, I didn't care for Sergio to get his Green Jacket, and there are others... Kooooch??? Yeah, I'd cheer for him BIG time if he was in it down the stretch. I like good guys. Guys that are classy and humble. I was very happy for Spieth winning his majors. So, for me, if it's a cocky young guy, no way I'm cheering for them.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Love cheering on the underdog. I remember pulling for Austin Cook a couple years ago when he was in the hunt at the Masters on the weekend and had made a whole 20k on the Adams Tour up to that point. Flash forward to this year and he won the RSM and will be sticking around on Tour for a little while!

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I'm cheering for the guys that have been around for a while vs. the new 'dogs' . Phil and Kuch are on the top of my list.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

While I will agree that a perceived underdog adds a bit to the mixture, I just like to see several players in the mix on the back 9 on the final day.   Such that all those in the mix must play aggressively to win, as opposed to some player with a  significant lead playing conservatively not to mess up.   I enjoy watching aggressive golf by the tour players be they top dogs or underdogs.   I just want the player that played the best to win and not influenced by some outside factor such as a questionable ruling.

• Like 2

I've been pulling the last couple of weeks for Chez Reavie. He caught my attention several years back. Probably 2014 perhaps. He was living a dream one day in the hunt for a win but ended up tanking. The PGA says he earned $11,000 that year. But he had a great attitude I recall.

Since then he's been moving up and right now on top of the world I'd say. Hasn't won these past weeks but damn close. With only 1 win he's due if he can close it.

• Like 2

Will Ted Potter, Jr contend again this year, or was this just his time to win one?

the underdog. With 1 exception. Phil, I always root for Phil.

To some extent, I think Phil has become a bit of an underdog. He hasn't won in a while and his place on the Ryder cup team, at least from an automatic selection point of view, may be in jeopardy. It's nice to see how he has been performing so far.

Having grown up in Philadelphia, and being a hardcore sports Phan (see how I did that)- I have always been for the underdog.  To paraphrase Jason Kelce, the 8 year all pro center for the Philadelphia Eagles, "an underdog is a hungry dog, and hungry dogs run faster!!!"   It was great to see "the Wizard" lay down a steady stream of pars after that chip-in birdie to seal the victory. 

For those of you who have not seen it, here is the complete, uncensored version of Jason Kelce's rant on the steps of the Philadelphia Art Museum, at the end of the Eagles Victory Parade - yes, the same steps where the "Rocky Balboa" statue stood - Fair warning, this contains very graphic language, and should not be viewed at work or within earshot of children or those easily offended...

• Like 3

Having grown up in Philadelphia, and being a hardcore sports Phan (see how I did that)- I have always been for the underdog. To paraphrase Jason Kelce, the 8 year all pro center for the Philadelphia Eagles, "an underdog is a hungry dog, and hungry dogs run faster!!!" It was great to see "the Wizard" lay down a steady stream of pars after that chip-in birdie to seal the victory.

For those of you who have not seen it, here is the complete, uncensored version of Jason Kelce's rant on the steps of the Philadelphia Art Museum, at the end of the Eagles Victory Parade - yes, the same steps where the "Rocky Balboa" statue stood - Fair warning, this contains very graphic language, and should not be viewed at work or within earshot of children or those easily offended...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhIFNxEz1qc

He certainly didn't hold back on that. Absolutely right though

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My personal underdog awakening...

2000 PGA Championship @Valhalla - TW vs Bob May

https://youtu.be/rjMz8O2oE1w

Am I the only one still wondering if TW's tee shot on the final playoff hole involved some Arnie's Army style shenanigans?

• Like 2

Bingo! My thoughts exactly

Truth be known, while they were not a stated choice, I would suspect that you and I prefer "hunten dogs".

• Like 2

Truth be known, while they were not a stated choice, I would suspect that you and I prefer "hunten dogs".

Yep ole Jake was a good un!

• Like 1

I enjoy the underdogs winning on tour. It shows how tough it is to win. It's even better when it's a guy like Potter.

• Like 2

To some extent, I think Phil has become a bit of an underdog. He hasn't won in a while and his place on the Ryder cup team, at least from an automatic selection point of view, may be in jeopardy. It's nice to see how he has been performing so far.

I think if he continues to play well this year. He will be a captains pick regardless of ranking.

• Like 1

I think if he continues to play well this year. He will be a captains pick regardless of ranking.

Agreed. If he keeps it up, his experience is too valuable to leave out.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk