TESTERS WANTED! ×

Top Dogs vs Underdogs

HardcoreLooper

In honor of Ted Potter's victory yesterday, who do you pull for down the stretch? Do you want to see DJ, JS, JT or another of the tour's stars add to their legacy? Or would you prefer that one of the tour's lesser lights have their moment in the sun?

I always pulled for the big names until the 1991 PGA Championship. The pro had the final round on in his office, and we kept sneaking in to catch the action. I was pulling for Ray Floyd, but the pro and the assistants were all pulling for an alternate from nowhere named John Daly. I asked them why, and the head pro looked me straight in the eye and said "because that might as well be me out there. This will change this guy's life." And from that moment on, I've always pulled for the little guy.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

In honor of Ted Potter's victory yesterday, who do you pull for down the stretch? Do you want to see DJ, JS, JT or another of the tour's stars add to their legacy? Or would you prefer that one of the tour's lesser lights have their moment in the sun?I always pulled for the big names until the 1991 PGA Championship. The pro had the final round on in his office, and we kept sneaking in to catch the action. I was pulling for Ray Floyd, but the pro and the assistants were all pulling for an alternate from nowhere named John Daly. I asked them why, and the head pro looked me straight in the eye and said "because that might as well be me out there. This will change this guy's life." And from that moment on, I've always pulled for the little guy.

The underdog is always fun to pull for, the win is just so much sweeter when they aren't supposed to win. For example, Larry Mize in the Masters when he clipped Greg Norman

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

I generally pull for the underdog in sports. In golf I do sometimes too, but I cheered for Phil big time when he won his first Masters, and I'll cheer for him if he's in the hunt for the US Open. I like certain guys, and I dislike others. I won't cheer for Bubba, I didn't care for Sergio to get his Green Jacket, and there are others... Kooooch??? Yeah, I'd cheer for him BIG time if he was in it down the stretch. I like good guys. Guys that are classy and humble. I was very happy for Spieth winning his majors. So, for me, if it's a cocky young guy, no way I'm cheering for them.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Love cheering on the underdog. I remember pulling for Austin Cook a couple years ago when he was in the hunt at the Masters on the weekend and had made a whole 20k on the Adams Tour up to that point. Flash forward to this year and he won the RSM and will be sticking around on Tour for a little while!

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

I'm cheering for the guys that have been around for a while vs. the new 'dogs' . Phil and Kuch are on the top of my list.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I like rooting for the underdog, but it was a bit bittersweet last weekend, because I like DJ.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

While I will agree that a perceived underdog adds a bit to the mixture, I just like to see several players in the mix on the back 9 on the final day.   Such that all those in the mix must play aggressively to win, as opposed to some player with a  significant lead playing conservatively not to mess up.   I enjoy watching aggressive golf by the tour players be they top dogs or underdogs.   I just want the player that played the best to win and not influenced by some outside factor such as a questionable ruling.

I've been pulling the last couple of weeks for Chez Reavie. He caught my attention several years back. Probably 2014 perhaps. He was living a dream one day in the hunt for a win but ended up tanking. The PGA says he earned $11,000 that year. But he had a great attitude I recall.

Since then he's been moving up and right now on top of the world I'd say. Hasn't won these past weeks but damn close. With only 1 win he's due if he can close it.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

the underdog. With 1 exception. Phil, I always root for Phil.

To some extent, I think Phil has become a bit of an underdog. He hasn't won in a while and his place on the Ryder cup team, at least from an automatic selection point of view, may be in jeopardy. It's nice to see how he has been performing so far.

Having grown up in Philadelphia, and being a hardcore sports Phan (see how I did that)- I have always been for the underdog.  To paraphrase Jason Kelce, the 8 year all pro center for the Philadelphia Eagles, "an underdog is a hungry dog, and hungry dogs run faster!!!"   It was great to see "the Wizard" lay down a steady stream of pars after that chip-in birdie to seal the victory. 

For those of you who have not seen it, here is the complete, uncensored version of Jason Kelce's rant on the steps of the Philadelphia Art Museum, at the end of the Eagles Victory Parade - yes, the same steps where the "Rocky Balboa" statue stood - Fair warning, this contains very graphic language, and should not be viewed at work or within earshot of children or those easily offended...

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

Having grown up in Philadelphia, and being a hardcore sports Phan (see how I did that)- I have always been for the underdog. To paraphrase Jason Kelce, the 8 year all pro center for the Philadelphia Eagles, "an underdog is a hungry dog, and hungry dogs run faster!!!" It was great to see "the Wizard" lay down a steady stream of pars after that chip-in birdie to seal the victory.

For those of you who have not seen it, here is the complete, uncensored version of Jason Kelce's rant on the steps of the Philadelphia Art Museum, at the end of the Eagles Victory Parade - yes, the same steps where the "Rocky Balboa" statue stood - Fair warning, this contains very graphic language, and should not be viewed at work or within earshot of children or those easily offended...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhIFNxEz1qc

He certainly didn't hold back on that. Absolutely right though

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

the underdog. With 1 exception. Phil, I always root for Phil.

Bingo! My thoughts exactly

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

My personal underdog awakening...

2000 PGA Championship @Valhalla - TW vs Bob May

https://youtu.be/rjMz8O2oE1w

Am I the only one still wondering if TW's tee shot on the final playoff hole involved some Arnie's Army style shenanigans?

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

Truth be known, while they were not a stated choice, I would suspect that you and I prefer "hunten dogs".

Yep ole Jake was a good un!

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I enjoy the underdogs winning on tour. It shows how tough it is to win. It's even better when it's a guy like Potter.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

To some extent, I think Phil has become a bit of an underdog. He hasn't won in a while and his place on the Ryder cup team, at least from an automatic selection point of view, may be in jeopardy. It's nice to see how he has been performing so far.

I think if he continues to play well this year. He will be a captains pick regardless of ranking.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I think if he continues to play well this year. He will be a captains pick regardless of ranking.

Agreed. If he keeps it up, his experience is too valuable to leave out.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Phil an underdog? I think right now he can teach Jordan a couple of tricks

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I am intrigued by this. To a very extend it is true. He has not won and for some time. But I believe we all agree he still has it and the last tournaments shows exactly that. In the end, I hope Phil wins a PGA or even a major in 2018. But such a win would somehow be like one from an underdog. Strangely enough, he is for 25 years among the top 50 of the world ranking.

Regards,

Henning

OK, I will throw it down- how about Tiger for an underdog???

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

In honor of Ted Potter's victory yesterday, who do you pull for down the stretch? Do you want to see DJ, JS, JT or another of the tour's stars add to their legacy? Or would you prefer that one of the tour's lesser lights have their moment in the sun?

I always pulled for the big names until the 1991 PGA Championship. The pro had the final round on in his office, and we kept sneaking in to catch the action. I was pulling for Ray Floyd, but the pro and the assistants were all pulling for an alternate from nowhere named John Daly. I asked them why, and the head pro looked me straight in the eye and said "because that might as well be me out there. This will change this guy's life." And from that moment on, I've always pulled for the little guy.

I was pulling for potter a little I like DJ but underdog story is cool. Sooooooooo hard to win on PGA tour happy for the guy

Bags

OK, I will throw it down- how about Tiger for an underdog???

Don't call it a comeback...

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I have no clue why I root for the guys that I do on the PGA tour. I love excellence so I will root for that - there have been two excellent golfers in my lifetime - Jack and Tiger. I almost always rooted for them.

After that I can't tell you what strikes my fancy - Pecking order wise I think I'm most inclined to root for Jordan Spieth - perhaps because of his sister. Beyond him I'm not sure whom I would root for on a given week. Any PGA player that I've encountered has been courteous and if my daughter was with me out and out gracious.

I used to always root for Ernie because we are part of the same club in life.

LPGA is easy - Brittany because I know her a bit and she plays at my club followed by Stacy Lewis because she's overcome a disability.

On the Champions Tour it's Langer and Lehman but I've always been big fans of both. IMO, Langer is one of the most under rated players ever - his record is identical to Greg Norman's - his on the European tour Norman's on the PGA tour. Langer had to deal with the two best players in the world on his tour while Norman had very little in terms of top competition.

At any rate I'm likely to root for anyone on a given week and there are very few that I will root against - Rory perhaps but not because I dislike him, I'm more likely to prefer the person who is in contention with him.

I think that I'm most inclined to root against guys whom I perceive as over rated.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

As I said in a previous post,  I just like to see several players playing aggressively in order to win and may the best player win.   However, upon further thought, I do have a certain fondness for Boo Weekley and like to see him win or at least do well.   I'm think its because I can identify with him on some level.   One good ole boy supporting another good ole boy.   Perhaps, its just human nature to support those perceived to be "cut from the same cloth" as you.   Currently, I think Boo could be labelled an underdog, or better yet, a hunten dog.   

If the question was with which dog do you most identify and support, for me, it definitely would be Boo

I like seeing greatness so I prefer the top dogs

Winning. I want to see people dominate tournaments week after week... why I liked tiger Brady mj Gretzky. Very rare you see that. I'd much rather see top dogs win then some random that won't win again

Archived