HardcoreLooper

Top Dogs vs Underdogs

Phil an underdog? I think right now he can teach Jordan a couple of tricks

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

To some extent, I think Phil has become a bit of an underdog. He hasn't won in a while and his place on the Ryder cup team, at least from an automatic selection point of view, may be in jeopardy. It's nice to see how he has been performing so far.

I am intrigued by this. To a very extend it is true. He has not won and for some time. But I believe we all agree he still has it and the last tournaments shows exactly that. In the end, I hope Phil wins a PGA or even a major in 2018. But such a win would somehow be like one from an underdog. Strangely enough, he is for 25 years among the top 50 of the world ranking.

Regards,

Henning

• Like 2

I'll call it now though, if Phil is in good form come April, he wins the Masters. He loves that place.

In honor of Ted Potter's victory yesterday, who do you pull for down the stretch? Do you want to see DJ, JS, JT or another of the tour's stars add to their legacy? Or would you prefer that one of the tour's lesser lights have their moment in the sun?

I always pulled for the big names until the 1991 PGA Championship. The pro had the final round on in his office, and we kept sneaking in to catch the action. I was pulling for Ray Floyd, but the pro and the assistants were all pulling for an alternate from nowhere named John Daly. I asked them why, and the head pro looked me straight in the eye and said "because that might as well be me out there. This will change this guy's life." And from that moment on, I've always pulled for the little guy.

I was pulling for potter a little I like DJ but underdog story is cool. Sooooooooo hard to win on PGA tour happy for the guy

Bags

• Like 1

I have no clue why I root for the guys that I do on the PGA tour. I love excellence so I will root for that - there have been two excellent golfers in my lifetime - Jack and Tiger. I almost always rooted for them.

After that I can't tell you what strikes my fancy - Pecking order wise I think I'm most inclined to root for Jordan Spieth - perhaps because of his sister. Beyond him I'm not sure whom I would root for on a given week. Any PGA player that I've encountered has been courteous and if my daughter was with me out and out gracious.

I used to always root for Ernie because we are part of the same club in life.

LPGA is easy - Brittany because I know her a bit and she plays at my club followed by Stacy Lewis because she's overcome a disability.

On the Champions Tour it's Langer and Lehman but I've always been big fans of both. IMO, Langer is one of the most under rated players ever - his record is identical to Greg Norman's - his on the European tour Norman's on the PGA tour. Langer had to deal with the two best players in the world on his tour while Norman had very little in terms of top competition.

At any rate I'm likely to root for anyone on a given week and there are very few that I will root against - Rory perhaps but not because I dislike him, I'm more likely to prefer the person who is in contention with him.

I think that I'm most inclined to root against guys whom I perceive as over rated.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

As I said in a previous post,  I just like to see several players playing aggressively in order to win and may the best player win.   However, upon further thought, I do have a certain fondness for Boo Weekley and like to see him win or at least do well.   I'm think its because I can identify with him on some level.   One good ole boy supporting another good ole boy.   Perhaps, its just human nature to support those perceived to be "cut from the same cloth" as you.   Currently, I think Boo could be labelled an underdog, or better yet, a hunten dog.   

If the question was with which dog do you most identify and support, for me, it definitely would be Boo

• Like 1

I like seeing greatness so I prefer the top dogs

Winning. I want to see people dominate tournaments week after week... why I liked tiger Brady mj Gretzky. Very rare you see that. I'd much rather see top dogs win then some random that won't win again

• Like 1