Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

"Non-golf" Golf shoes

azstu324

I've only played in golf shoes, but have practiced in flip flops at the range. I prefer golf shoes with plastic spikes... Less worry about slipping during my swing on the course.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

This is a topic I am very much interested in.

I have a bad bunion from my time in the USMC being forced to wear ill-fitting shoes and I need something wide.  VERY hard to find wide golf shoes... athletic shoes are a bit more common but I walk as much as I possibly can and need something comfortable that won't hurt after 4 (?) hours on the course.  Love the new skechers go golf 2 shoes but they are $$$ !!

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I have a bad bunion from my time in the USMC being forced to wear ill-fitting shoes and I need something wide. VERY hard to find wide golf shoes... athletic shoes are a bit more common but I walk as much as I possibly can and need something comfortable that won't hurt after 4 (?) hours on the course. Love the new skechers go golf 2 shoes but they are $$$ !!

My brother has a similar issue, and plays in regular Sketchers, extra wide. Some of their models have some pretty nubby soles.

Much more reasonable then the golf specific versions.

Sent from my SM-N950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Wishon clubs, Odyssey CS stroke lab putter

My brother has a similar issue, and plays in regular Sketchers, extra wide. Some of their models have some pretty nubby soles.

Much more reasonable then the golf specific versions.

Sent from my SM-N950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Thanks!  I'll check those out.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I have a bad bunion from my time in the USMC being forced to wear ill-fitting shoes and I need something wide. VERY hard to find wide golf shoes... athletic shoes are a bit more common but I walk as much as I possibly can and need something comfortable that won't hurt after 4 (?) hours on the course. Love the new skechers go golf 2 shoes but they are $$$ !!

True Linkswear is supposed to be getting back to their roots with wide toebox shoes, but I imagine they will be priced at least as high as the Sketchers.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Played an official wet round in my vans ultrarange.. Light rain from hole 1 to 18.  Feet are mysteriously dry as a bone and traction was incredible! These shoes are legit! 

Sent from my VS985 4G using MyGolfSpy mobile app

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Played an official wet round in my vans ultrarange.. Light rain from hole 1 to 18.  Feet are mysteriously dry as a bone and traction was incredible! These shoes are legit! 

Sent from my VS985 4G using MyGolfSpy mobile app

The soles look great for golf. Good to know.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

• 2 months later...

I've played several rounds with Nike Air Zoom Terra Kiger 4. Very comfy. Plenty of traction. No lateral support however, so if you need it don't go this way

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small:G410 plus driver,:taylormade-small:Aeroburner 3W, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
:callaway-small:XR 4, 5 hybrids
:titleist-small:2021 T300 6 - GW, SW irons
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy CB 58/12 wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

Alternates: Srixon ZX4 MKII irons

• 3 months later...

Update: I just purchased these. Asics "Frequent" trail runners. $38 out the door. Super comfy and breathable. decent water resistance and I dare say they're more supportive than my Adicross'. Played in them Sunday and the grip kept me glued to the ground and wasn't too abrasive for the greens. 

post-76102-153659588487.jpeg

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Last couple years I have been using nothing but Altra Zero Drop athletic shoes found nothing better and with wide toe box they look funky but my 2 new knees love me for it walk 18 on Saturday and Sunday tired but not sore

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Never tried it since I was fourteen, although I've seen plenty of others play in tennis shoes with no apparent problem. I've even seen them play in white tennis shorts.

I'm sure that it's fine for many.

Rev isn't crazy about spikes.

I wore steel until they literally told me that I wouldn't be allowed onto the course with them.

I had to actually go back inside and buy a pair of soft spike shoes in the pro shop before i could start my game.

Some people have better balance than I, but losing nails actually took a toll on my game.

I'm a runner so I'll offer this. Running shoes and even trail running shoes to a large degree are designed to ensure you have a heal toe rotation. This design could be a problem when you are trying to maintain a relatively even distribution of weight. Additionally running shoes are normally made of a material that allows the foot to breath but does not protect it from the elements. If you wear running shoes on the golf course you'll most likely get wet feet and very little lateral support.

With that being said I wear running shoes on the golf course quite often when I'm walking, the course is dry and or I'm trying to slow down my lower body twist. I always wear running shoes on the range.

When buying running shoes to crossover with golf I look for shoes that will match a variety of outfits. Running shoes often come in very vibrant colors which are hard to match with golf gear. I try to find shoes in darker solid colors. Black works best and easiest to match. White is a disaster because the fabric gets soiled beyond the ability of bleach to clean.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

I'm a runner so I'll offer this. Running shoes and even trail running shoes to a large degree are designed to ensure you have a heal toe rotation. This design could be a problem when you are trying to maintain a relatively even distribution of weight. Additionally running shoes are normally made of a material that allows the foot to breath but does not protect it from the elements. If you wear running shoes on the golf course you'll most likely get wet feet and very little lateral support.

With that being said I wear running shoes on the golf course quite often when I'm walking, the course is dry and or I'm trying to slow down my lower body twist. I always wear running shoes on the range.

When buying running shoes to crossover with golf I look for shoes that will match a variety of outfits. Running shoes often come in very vibrant colors which are hard to match with golf gear. I try to find shoes in darker solid colors. Black works best and easiest to match. White is a disaster because the fabric gets soiled beyond the ability of bleach to clean.

You do bring up some excellent points when looking for a non-golf golf shoe. I did forget to mention the importance of lateral support and fairly neutral heel/toe drop and minimal toe raise. Trail shoes do tend to meet more of these criteria as they are not built for just straight forward running. These are important factors when looking for this type of shoe. They are definitely out there though. 

The shoes that I mentioned really do fit all of the the criteria. I don't really know if I'd even wear them for running as the foot bed is slightly stiffer than I like. My runners are Merrell Vapor Gloves.. absolute minimalists

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Trail shoes are awesome for golf, wear them all the time myself. I've never seen a need to buy “spikeless” golf shoes. They are the same as any trail shoe in my opinion and with trail shoes you have more options.

WITB? 

Driver: 2016 TaylorMade M2, 9.5*,

Irons: 2017 Taylormade M2 4-PW,

Wedges: Bombtech 52*, 56*, 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot putter

Ball: Callaway Supersoft

• 1 year later...

Hey. 
In winter I always use my adidas golf shoes. Just don’t want my feet to get wet. 
But come summer I swear by Vans Ultrarange. 

https://www.vans.com/shop/ultrarange/ultrarange-exo-true-white-true-white#hero=2

Super light. Really comfy. And have great grip on the turf.