Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Cobra F8 and F8+ Driver

chisag

I still can't get over the fact that if I want to buy two heavier weights for the F8+ it will cost $50. What the hell is cobra thinking with those weight prices?

I just got my + today and I had it cut to tour length and they changed me $20 for the weight kit.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Atmos Blue 6S

Atmos Red 7S
 Atmos Blue 8S
Apex CF19 4-AW C-Taper Lite S
SM7's RAW 50F - 54S - 58M - 62M

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto (Oven)

Nike 006 Rory Proto (Oven)

Pro V1 / Z-Star

You got two weights for $20? How?

Yes, but no head cover! They gave me two 3 wood covers.

Atmos Blue 6S

Atmos Red 7S
 Atmos Blue 8S
Apex CF19 4-AW C-Taper Lite S
SM7's RAW 50F - 54S - 58M - 62M

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto (Oven)

Nike 006 Rory Proto (Oven)

Pro V1 / Z-Star

• 2 weeks later...

So I went back to my fitter today to do some post-purchase testing on my hybrid and my driver.

I am a little concerned that I am not getting the distance out of my driver that I got when I had hit the driver (multiple times) prior to my purchase.

My 6 iron checked in perfectly at 185 carry

4 iron at 210 carry

Hybrid at 227 carry

Fairway at 242 carry

so everything was looking good until I got to the driver and I was maxing out around 260 carry with ball speed in the low 150s. My launch and spin were great, but my ball speed was just lower than I expected.  I was getting carry of between 250 and 260, where I was expecting carries around 270 (which I had with my previous driver and swear I had at my fitting).

Not sure what to do right now as the distances with my other clubs seem to be spot on, so I know that it is not from a lack of strength or mobility from my March hospital stays.

So I went back to my fitter today to do some post-purchase testing on my hybrid and my driver.

I am a little concerned that I am not getting the distance out of my driver that I got when I had hit the driver (multiple times) prior to my purchase.

4 iron at 210 carry

Hybrid at 227 carry

Fairway at 242 carry

so everything was looking good until I got to the driver and I was maxing out around 260 carry with ball speed in the low 150s. My launch and spin were great, but my ball speed was just lower than I expected.  I was getting carry of between 250 and 260, where I was expecting carries around 270 (which I had with my previous driver and swear I had at my fitting).

Not sure what to do right now as the distances with my other clubs seem to be spot on, so I know that it is not from a lack of strength or mobility from my March hospital stays.

I am going to put the Fly Z + back in play this week.

Having the same issue with my F8+ driver, hoping it's just the 50* weather.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

4 iron at 210 carry

Hybrid at 227 carry

Fairway at 242 carry

Not sure what to do right now as the distances with my other clubs seem to be spot on, so I know that it is not from a lack of strength or mobility from my March hospital stays

... There is an answer in there someplace. Same shaft as your old driver? I hope it isn't the head. I really wanted to have the F8+ as my driver this season but the F8 is just longer and more consistent for me. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

... There is an answer in there someplace. Same shaft as your old driver? I hope it isn't the head. I really wanted to have the F8+ as my driver this season but the F8 is just longer and more consistent for me.

But I hit the shaft/heading combo multiple times prior to purchase - that's what's so mind boggling.

• 1 month later...

I hit the F6 pretty well but the F8 head and forgiveness intrigue me.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

• 3 weeks later...

Another glorious range session with the F8+ and another where distance is concerns are gone. Cannot wait for to get back on the course on Friday and see what the F8+ does. Will only be my 5th round of the year with it.

... I have been going thru a somewhat similar and troubling period with my F8+. I went back to my Epic and was hitting it better and farther the last 2 rounds. So I took out the F8+ today to give it one more chance and evidently the Epic got it's attention. Best driving day of the season and I realized I had been catching the ball a little high on the face. Teed it up just a hair higher and hit some of my longest drives on a few familiar holes. Crazy how a little adjustment can make such a big difference. But it's always something ain't it?

Father in law picked up the F8 the other night after a demo day at a local course. We played the same 9 twice once with his old driver and then again with the new and wow. He went from about 200 yds on average with great shots going 220 with his amp cell to most all 240 with bad shots being about 225 range and one at 260! He was shocked and waited on a proper deal then took the plunge.

So far he's been super impressed and has loved the forgiveness of it

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

... I have been going thru a somewhat similar and troubling period with my F8+. I went back to my Epic and was hitting it better and farther the last 2 rounds. So I took out the F8+ today to give it one more chance and evidently the Epic got it's attention. Best driving day of the season and I realized I had been catching the ball a little high on the face. Teed it up just a hair higher and hit some of my longest drives on a few familiar holes. Crazy how a little adjustment can make such a big difference. But it's always something ain't it?

Are you playing the stock weights in the the f8+?

I'm playing a high balance point shaft in the hzrdus yellow so I'm thinking of increasing the weight to bring my swing weight back up

... I play mine at 44.5" so the heaviest weight and a little extra lead tape to get to D1 :

F8+ weight.jpg

I just ordered my F8 yesterday. Super excited for it to show up! 

Taylor Made BRNR mini driver

Callaway Rogue 3 wood - Aldila Synergy 

Callaway Rogue SZ 5 wood- Project X Even Flow Blue

Sub 70 699 U 22*

Taylor Made M4 5-AW - KBS Max 

Ping Glide 4.0 Wedges 54* and 58*

Sub 70 005 Wide Blade putter

Enjoyed the extra swing weight, but concerned about the extra weight on the rear creating more face closure.

Popped the 12g weight back in the back and put a 6g weight up front in place of the 2g weight

... Last I heard, Fowler was playing it like that with the weights reversed. 

• 3 weeks later...

Enjoyed the extra swing weight, but concerned about the extra weight on the rear creating more face closure.

Popped the 12g weight back in the back and put a 6g weight up front in place of the 2g weight

What length do you play your f8+?

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

Yup. I might do that and bump up the loft to see what happens

I have a pretty unrelated question for you regarding fitting and possible changes as you always seem to have knowledgeable advice in that area. I'm hitting a stock F7 with the weight low and according to Arccos I'm averaging 230-260 with plenty of drives in the 260-300 range. Im hitting a regular flex shaft and I just have so many questions...

1. Should I be hitting a more stiff shaft? What benefit does it give if so? I'm currently hitting 51% of fairways on average

2. Would buying a weight kit for the F7 be an easy way to get a few more yards squeezed out of my average? 

And yes I know I should go see a fitter before I make a purchase. I am just trying to gain some general knowledge about shaft differences and specs and how they change the club. Also can I take my F7 to Dicks or something and just have them plug in some shafts and see what changes? I have never done anything like that before and dont wanna spend $150 just to find out what I need if I can avoid it. 

Another side note, I am happy with my driving right now and its definitely not holding my game back, these are just some general questions I've had for a while and this thread felt like a good place to ask. 

RH:

Driver: :cobra-small: F9 9.0º - 14g Low - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Woods: :cobra-small: F9 3W - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Hybrids: :cobra-small:  F9 3H - Aldila Green X

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 One Length 4-PW - Modus3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cobra-small: King Wedges 50º/54º/58º Versatile

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne 35"

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

#cobraconnect19

I have a pretty unrelated question for you regarding fitting and possible changes as you always seem to have knowledgeable advice in that area. I'm hitting a stock F7 with the weight low and according to Arccos I'm averaging 230-260 with plenty of drives in the 260-300 range. Im hitting a regular flex shaft and I just have so many questions...

1. Should I be hitting a more stiff shaft? What benefit does it give if so? I'm currently hitting 51% of fairways on average

2. Would buying a weight kit for the F7 be an easy way to get a few more yards squeezed out of my average?

And yes I know I should go see a fitter before I make a purchase. I am just trying to gain some general knowledge about shaft differences and specs and how they change the club. Also can I take my F7 to Dicks or something and just have them plug in some shafts and see what changes? I have never done anything like that before and dont wanna spend $150 just to find out what I need if I can avoid it.

Another side note, I am happy with my driving right now and its definitely not holding my game back, these are just some general questions I've had for a while and this thread felt like a good place to ask.

Based on your distance numbers you seem to definitely fall in the stiff range.

Adding weight to the head is no sure thing to add distance, especially without knowing how it would affect swing weight and then your reaction to the swing weight change.

Regarding going somewhere and trying shafts, it really depends on the store. Some stores are more tinkerer friendly than others.

Thanks for the info. Basically I am hitting it far but have a mid-low launch and I can be a little inconsistent, most shots are draws with my miss being a hook or a pull. I'd like to see if a stiff shaft with a higher launch profile would remedy the issue and get me a few more yards. Or find out if its a swing problem, but cost of entry for a test like that is pretty high. The other option is just to buy a popular shaft off ebay with the adapter already installed and see what happens, I suppose I can always resell it if it doesn't work out? 

RH:

Driver: :cobra-small: F9 9.0º - 14g Low - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Woods: :cobra-small: F9 3W - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Hybrids: :cobra-small:  F9 3H - Aldila Green X

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 One Length 4-PW - Modus3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cobra-small: King Wedges 50º/54º/58º Versatile

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne 35"

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

#cobraconnect19

Thanks for the info. Basically I am hitting it far but have a mid-low launch and I can be a little inconsistent, most shots are draws with my miss being a hook or a pull. I'd like to see if a stiff shaft with a higher launch profile would remedy the issue and get me a few more yards. Or find out if its a swing problem, but cost of entry for a test like that is pretty high. The other option is just to buy a popular shaft off ebay with the adapter already installed and see what happens, I suppose I can always resell it if it doesn't work out? 

Without knowing your spin and launch angle it's hard to make too many suggestions, but once you get a stiffer shaft then you can trying bumping the loft up and moving the heavier weight back - that will help launch the ball a bit more.

I would like to weigh in here with what happens for me and my swing. Disclaimer: my swing is NOT your swing. All swings are different.

In general a more flexible shaft will make the ball go more left while a stiffer shaft will make it go more right.

For me a low launch gets the ball waaay farther than a high launch. This is not caused by spin; the spin on all of these shots are roughly the same. If I launch it high I carry 240 and get roll out to 250. If I launch low I carry 250 and get roll out to 270. This is with a stiff mid launch low spin shaft.

Getting higher launch will not always increase distance. I hit a low drive, mid long irons, and high short irons.

If you want to try a higher launch shaft go for it, you can always resell it.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I'd spend the money on a launch monitor fitting instead of the weights. You'll get your numbers on good and on bad shots. That way, you'll know if it's a swing issue or shaft issue.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder