TESTERS WANTED! ×

Cobra F8 and F8+ Driver

chisag

… Every year most OEMs come out with a new driver. Sometimes they are tweaks of last years model. Sometimes they are new designs that have features the R&D departments have been working on for years, featuring improvements that make a quantifiable difference and they are apparent with the very first swing. Cobra has done exactly that with the release of their F8 and F8+ drivers. I am not sure I have ever been as impressed with a driver in the 13 years I have been reviewing new clubs at the PGA Show as I am with the entire F8 line up.

… Before getting to the details of the F8 and F8+, I would like to give a nice golf clap to Cobra for not changing the name of their new driver and keeping it in the F family that started with the F6, then the F7 and now the F8. Many golfers are overwhelmed by driver choices and going from the L4V to ZL to Bio Cell and the Fly Z (one of the best drivers ever produced in my opinion) it can be difficult for consumers to keep track of what name is with what company. I think the F8 sticking with the F Family name is going to be good for Cobra and consumers alike.

… There are quite a few new features that separate the F8 and F8+ from the rest of the pack. But none more obvious than the CNC Milled Face. Cobra has produced the first ever CNC Milled forged titanium face that has an exact thickness, eliminating weak spots that are thiner or thicker, something hand polishing cannot avoid. This thin milled face is 10% lighter, increases deflection for faster ball speeds across the entire face and results in 1.2 to 1.6 mph ball speed increases on off-center hits compared to a similar face that has not been CNC milled to it's final shape. The CNC Milled face combined with Cobra's patented E9 Technology makes the F8 not only faster but also more forgiving. And something that is just crazy cool about the CNC Milled face is you can see exactly where you hit your drive as it leaves a ball imprint that you can clean off after every shot to see exactly where you hit it or leave them on to see what kind of pattern you are producing.

… Cobra found thru intensive research and charting thousands of real golfers, that the majority of players missed in an elliptical pattern from low in the heel to high in the toe and designed their patented E9 Technology to accommodate their misses. This technology produces a sweet spot in an elliptical pattern of low heel and high toe for increased performance when you mis the center. I talked with Mike Yagley Director R&D & Testing about the F8 that incorporates their patented Dual Roll design, and the F8 has a tilted bulge and roll axis that features more curvature on the top half and flatter on the bottom half that optimizes launch and spin. Sound familiar? Let me just say that I have no problem with OEMs using similar designs and calling them their own, it is part of the game. So Taylor Made's version of Cobra's Dual Roll they call Twist Face is fair game but I imagine it really grates the engineers at Cobra when Taylor Made says they are the “only” OEM using this technology when Cobra has been using it successfully for 6 years now and combined with their CNC Milled face and E9 Technology, it makes the F8's the longest and most accurate drivers I hit at the PGA Show this year.

… Another critical feature in the F8 is the use of Carbon Fiber producing a lighter weight crown, and that saved weight can be repositioned low and to the rear of the sole resulting in more forgiveness and improved launch. Many drivers sound and feel too loud and explosive to old school golfers while others are too muted and feel dead to many younger players. Cobra has done an amazing job with the sound and feel of the F8 drivers splitting the difference with a perfect combination of a hot but dense feel and sound that should please most every player. Rickie Fowler described his F8+ as “not exactly a driver that is gonna be overly loud or sound like you are hitting a tin can. Almost have a cross between an aluminum bat and a wood bat. You get that ‘crack' but that solid, heavy hit to it”. The F8 and F8+ also incorporate 360° Aero Technology which consists of what Cobra calls Polymer Aero Trips on the crown that are 90% lighter than titanium optimizing air flow and significantly reducing drag. Where Cobra differs from others is they also incorporate titanium speed trips on the sole because air doesn't just flow over the top of the driver head and combined, Cobra claims the lower drag will produce more club head speed and that means more distance off the tee. According to Cobra engineers “Distance is dependent on club speed. The addition of aero trips and a more streamlined shape is important to reduce drag in areas of the swing where speed is lost. The aero trips are strategically positioned relative to the orientation of the airflow, speed, and drag through the swing to increase club head speed for maximum distance.”

… Both the F8 and F8+ feature a heavy and a light weight that allows golfers to fine tune their trajectory, ball flight and/or spin rate. The F8 has two weight ports, one in the rear for a higher flight and one toward the heel for a slightly lower trajectory and a slight draw bias. The F8+ also has two weight ports with one in the rear for a high flight and one in the front for a lower trajectory and reduced spin. The F8+ is also 460 cc's but has a more compact club head shape at address, a look many better players prefer. And those of you that have played a Cobra driver should be familiar with the My Fly hosel sleeve that allows you to make 8 easily adjustable loft and lie settings that enable you to further fine tune trajectory and spin to maximize distance. Increasing or decreasing the loft will adjust the launch by +/- .5 degrees and the spin by +/- 400 rpms, respectively. And an added benefit for those with a F7, F6 or Fly Z, is the F8 My Fly hosel sleeves are compatible with the My Fly hosel sleeve in your driver so if you already own upgraded shafts, they will fit in your F8.

… The F8 and F8+ are offered in a classic Black head as well as Nardo Gray, a hot new color many find extremely appealing. You can choose from real deal shafts including the ultra-lightweight TENSEI CK Blue, a very stable shaft with a smooth feel and a great shaft for medium swing speeds that need higher launch with reduced spin for improved distance and dispersion. Aldila 2KXV Blue 60, a mid launch and mid spin shaft that has seen quite a bit of play on all Tours and 2KXV Green 65 an updated Aldila classic that stands the test of time, a slightly heavier shaft that produces lower trajectory and spin, as well as the HZRDUS Yellow 75 a unique high bend shaft shaft that works well for players with a smooth swing and higher swing speeds. These shafts just about have everyone covered but Cobra offers even more special order free upgrade real deal shafts including the new Even Flow Blue 65/75 as well as other ultra premium shafts at a reduced cost.

… And perhaps saving the best for last, both F8 and F8+ Cobra drivers comes with Cobra Connect Powered By Arccos in the butt end of the grip. According to Cobra this “allows golfers to track their driving distance and accuracy using detailed stats and analysis to improve their game.” Using the Arccos Driver mobile app, you can track your driver distance using GPS on 40,000 courses world wide, use the Tune Your Driver feature uses on course data to find your optical loft, lie and weight settings. Tour Analytic's that help identify your weakness or strengths by analyzing distance, dispersion, and percentage of fairways hit for more efficient practice and faster improvement.

… Now I don't want to get calluses from patting myself on the back, but I have been complaining about OEM's offering stock drivers that are too long at more than 45” for years. Many better players and certainly Tour Pro's know that hitting the center of the face with a shorter shaft produces more yards than slightly missing the center with a longer shafted driver. Longer than 45” may produce more yards when an Iron Byron hits the dead center every time, but most average golfers do not hit the center of the face consistently, and considering you lose approximately 5-7 yds for every 1/4” you miss the center, I and other knowledgeable club fitters feel 44.5” or shorter gives most amateurs their best combination of accuracy and distance. While the F8 loses less yards than many other drivers on slight mishits because of it's very forgiving face, Cobra has taken the-shorter-shaft-improves-contact advice and is offering the F8 Tour Length Driver at 44.5”. Instead of the standard 12 and 2gm weights that you can arrange the heavier in the rear for a higher trajectory and maximum forgiveness or in the heel for a slight draw bias, the Tour Length driver comes with16 and 6gm weights that compensate for the shorter length and still give you the ability to fine tune your ball flight. For now, it is special order only and I think everyone should at least consider this option. You can also special order the F8+ with a heavier weight at a reduced length, which is exactly what I did.

… All of this comes in a driver package that is around $100 less than most of the F8 competitors. Now you can see why I said I was more impressed with this driver than any I have reviewed in the last 13 years. After playing my F8 and F8+ for a while I will post a follow up review of not only the performance of the F8 and F8+ but also how Cobra Connect Powered by Arccos has hopefully made a statistically driven difference in my game. Thanks to the Cobra F8 drivers, 2018 is gonna be a very fun year off the tee.

www.facebook.com/InternetGolfReviews/

Great review! Thanks for taking the time to do this. Now I have to go and try the F8 out...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Driver:  :cobra-small: F9, Project X Evenflow White T1100, 6.0 

3 wood:  :cobra-small:  F9, Fujikura Atmos blue,

3 hybrid:   :cobra-small:   F7 19.5 degree stiff flex

Irons: 4-pw   :mizuno-small:  JPX 919 KBS C-Taper  Lite shafts

Wedges:   :cobra-small:   King Black 50, 54, 60 degree KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Putters:  Odyssey O-Works  1w 34" w/ Superstroke counterbalanced Pistol GT 2.0 grip

Cobra has taken the-shorter-shaft-improves-contact advice and is offering the F8 Tour Length Driver at 44.5”. Instead of the standard 12 and 2gm weights that you can arrange the heavier in the rear for a higher trajectory and maximum forgiveness or in the heel for a slight draw bias, the Tour Length driver comes with16 and 6gm weights that compensate for the shorter length and still give you the ability to fine tune your ball flight. For now, it is special order only and I think everyone should at least consider this option. You can also special order the F8+ with a heavier weight at a reduced length, which is exactly what I did.  

… All of this comes in a driver package that is around $100 less than most of the F8 competitors. Now you can see why I said I was more impressed with this driver than any I have reviewed in the last 13 years. After playing my F8 and F8+ for a while I will post a follow up review of not only the performance of the F8 and F8+ but also how Cobra Connect Powered by Arccos has hopefully made a statistically driven difference in my game. Thanks to the Cobra F8 drivers, 2018 is gonna be a very fun year off the tee. 

www.facebook.com/InternetGolfReviews/

This is great news and kudos to Cobra for providing this (44.5 length) option!  I can't wait to try out one of these drivers.  :wub:

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

thanks for the awesome review. I think the F8 or F8+ is going to take the MGS most wanted testing this year. i have a shaft i really like, would like to swap out my Fly Z+ head for an F8+ just for a trial, but then i might get myself in trouble with thinking it'd want to buy it. 

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

thanks for the awesome review. I think the F8 or F8+ is going to take the MGS most wanted testing this year. i have a shaft i really like, would like to swap out my Fly Z+ head for an F8+ just for a trial, but then i might get myself in trouble with thinking it'd want to buy it. 

... Don't do it!!!  (because you will).  :wub:

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Oooooooo! 44.5”! That's right up my alley!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Great review Chisag! I would definitely give these a look if I hadn't just gotten my G400. Did waggle one of these at a Golf Galaxy though and it looked good down by the ball.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Me too Mook!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Cleveland

... I am not narcissistic enough to think I was the reason Cobra offered this length, but I know I played a small role in that decision. I have been including a mini rant about drivers being too long in my reviews for quite a few years now. Most all of the Engineers play their drivers at under 45" and use the heavier weight and Cobra is one of the rare OEMs that offer heavier weights by special order in a shorter length driver and you can buy them on their website for the F8/8+, F7/7+ and F6/6+. Amongst themselves they call it the "hot set-up" because as the guys responsible for the technology that enables them to maximize a compromise between length and accuracy, they know they hit the ball not only straighter, but also farther when they hit the dead center. 

... I am not narcissistic enough to think I was the reason Cobra offered this length, but I know I played a small role in that decision. I have been including a mini rant about drivers being too long in my reviews for quite a few years now. Most all of the Engineers play their drivers at under 45" and use the heavier weight and Cobra is one of the rare OEMs that offer heavier weights by special order in a shorter length driver and you can buy them on their website for the F8/8+, F7/7+ and F6/6+. Amongst themselves they call it the "hot set-up" because as the guys responsible for the technology that enables them to maximize a compromise between length and accuracy, they know they hit the ball not only straighter, but also farther when they hit the dead center. 

You do good work cuz!  Naw you do excellent work and we all appreciate your write ups as they are easy to understand.  I will be picking up a new F8 to try once I get my new irons paid for.  ;)  

Cleveland

That's an outstanding article/review on the Cobras Chisag! I wish I hadn't read it though. Now I want to ditch my new FZ+ and the SLDR and hookup with a F8+. So thanks a lot. LOL

Seriously though, from what I've read about other new driver offerings I think you'd be crazy to not take a serious look at the F8 drivers.

There were several things in the post that stuck out to me. First I like the idea of the way the face records impact. Probably unintended but a cool thing none the less. I have been playing a lot of attention to my SLDR lately and recently was looking at the face and I'd have to say my strike pattern appears somewhat like Cobra describes the elliptical pattern somewhat. But more dead center of course. Heh! Right before I wrote this I was shopping for another shaft like I have in my SLDR. I wanted to cut one down to 44.5 or 44.25 (head & shaft comb.) and try a shorter length.

Finally the Arccos sensor. I have one that came in another recent shaft purchase. I'm thinking of taking off the grip and trying it on my SLDR and FZ+. Might be fun for a few rounds.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I just went on Cobra's site to look at what it would cost to build the F8+ just like my KZG... $600+. Then to get a hybrid built with the same AD-DI shaft I have in my current hybrid... $319. 

A hybrid and a fairway are a possibility this year. Well, maybe.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Awesome review, chisag! Thanks!

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Great read, thanks for sharing.

The F8+ is my newest driver since the Fly Z +

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

Great read, thanks for sharing.

The F8+ is my newest driver since the Fly Z +

How do you compare your new F8+ to the FZ+?

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I thought this was Cobra's marketing white paper until I saw who posted :lol:

That some fine ass reading material there. Thanks for sharing.

And people, please don't quote the entire original post, makes reading easier ;)

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

How do you compare your new F8+ to the FZ+?

All I have been able to do is hit out of a booth with range balls, until spring.

I am just going by distance before roll, for now. The sound, feel, distance has been a little better.

.My fairway wood just arrived and it's only making me feel want the driver more attachicon.gifIMG_20180217_114005.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20180217_114036.jpg

Did you hit the 3-4 + fairway, Just wondering what you thought about the +

Fit a kid for an F8+ today. Longer, straighter, lower spinning than everything else he tried.

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

Man why did I do this to myself today. Demoed it outside against my M2. Going to somehow have to wait until my birthday and father's day tomorrow actually pull the trigger. attachicon.gifIMG_20180219_113441.jpg

... Uuummmm the F8+orce is strong Obee Lukes Kenobi.  :ph34r:

Man why did I do this to myself today. Demoed it outside against my M2. Going to somehow have to wait until my birthday and father's day tomorrow actually pull the trigger. attachicon.gifIMG_20180219_113441.jpg

What shaft option did you test out with it?

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

... Awesome! Welcome to the dark side. 

Hitting the F8+ side by side with my M2 made my M2 sound like a Nike SQ

I hated the sound of the M2, also the size - it just looked so big that it seemed fake. Congrats on the purchase I'm stoked for you!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Sigh... and my Epic is not even 1 year old...

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT