Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Glasses

Flipper554

After reading the MGS age groups thread I think there are probably more than enough folks to answer this question. Two years ago I went to progressive lenses but I don't wear them golfing of course, it's just too weird. So for the last two years I have been playing fuzzy golf and just find it annoying. Now I am thinking of getting single vision distance glasses. Is this a good move?

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

I am right on the edge of needing bifocals. My optometrist told me that it was up to me this time around, but that I'll likely need them in the future. I asked her about golf and she told me that most of her patients that play golf have a pair of single-vision glasses with their distance prescription.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Absolutely--- I used to play golf with my eye doctor and her husband who is also an eye doctor. When we found out I need glasses for a slight correction for my Commercial Driver's License she recommended just the single lenses for golf. So I have separate pairs for reading and seeing as I call them. Now I do not wear the glasses at all for playing golf. I just need them for driving. Funny thing is I can pass the normal vision test for regular driver's license in SC but barely fail for a Commercial Driver's License. BTW the 2 docs moved to Charlotte and started a successful practice on their own there

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Absolutely--- I used to play golf with my eye doctor and her husband who is also an eye doctor. When we found out I need glasses for a slight correction for my Commercial Driver's License she recommended just the single lenses for golf. So I have separate pairs for reading and seeing as I call them. Now I do not wear the glasses at all for playing golf. I just need them for driving. Funny thing is I can pass the normal vision test for regular driver's license in SC but barely fail for a Commercial Driver's License. BTW the 2 docs moved to Charlotte and started a successful practice on their own there

That's very interesting Stu. I wonder if I could play well not wearing my no line bifocals? Heck if I didn't chop my toe off taking a wild swing, it might work

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I went through this about fifteen years ago. It was weird at first but I just got used to wearing my regular prescription glasses. There were some funny episodes the first month or so but I stuck with it and very soon it became my new normal.

Good luck - I know plenty of guys who go the single vision different pair of glasses route. I tried that for a very short while and didn't like it.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I have progressive lenses and wear them golfing without any issues.  My dad had standard bi-focals and could not play with them because the ball would appear to move if his head shifted the wrong way.  

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

I'm right at the age where contacts have gotten blurry for up close work. The same prescription single vision glasses are just fine. The doc said just moving the prescription that little bit of distance off the eyeball makes all the difference. I would prefer contacts so I could wear sunglasses for golf but unless I want to go bifocal that option is fading away. Decent prescription sunglasses are pretty pricey

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

I wear progressive lenses and have for a long time so wearing them when I play is no different. I used to have them in a sunglasses version but it was a pain carrying two pair (switch out when I got into the clubhouse). Last year I got transition lenses and they are a nice compromise.

I will say when I first got progressive lenses it took a while for me to get adjusted to them. That was many moons ago.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I wear sunglasses everytime I play. Even on overcast days.

I'm getting ready to purchase new prescription progressive lens sunglasses. I wear small frameless Silhouette brand progressive bifocal glasses on a daily basis. (I tried contacts a couple of times and didn't like messing with them.) I currently wear Rayban sunglasses of some style with the non-progressive lens. That's the type with the old style bifocal insert in the lenses. However, when I play they don't bother me at all. I need bifocal because with a single lens; say for distance only I can't read a scorecard or my gambling app on the phone. I can actually see pretty good distance wise and could easily play without glasses if it weren't for the close up issue. Might as well have it all I suppose.

At one time several years ago I would wear a pair of HD Vision (as seen on TV and at Walgreens) right over my glasses and they were awesome I thought. I still have a pair in reserve in case I were to break or lose my raybans. I've also tried and worn some Fitovers but they were too bulky for my liking. But perhaps this week I'm going to buy a new pair of sunglasses but this time with a progressive bifocal lens. The lenses in my Raybans have gotten funky after 5 years of use, sweat, etc. Unfortunately the new progressives are expensive. Not so much for the regular frames and lenses but once you add progressive the cost skyrockets! 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Flipper554 - I'd also say Yes!

I have progressives, even though I can still see 'ok enough' (at 62) but do need them for focusing clearly up close and for reading.

The biggest problem for me with using them golfing, though, is putting ... the lenses seem to add a lot of curvature - especially around the periphery (ie. my peripheral vision).

I do have another pair of single focus glasses, with lightweight lenses and very lightest frames, that I keep in the golf bag. These help to focus more clearly on the ball at address and to follow it better, too.

(Well .. of it goes far enough, that is....)

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Plaid - have you looked at the Oakley “golf” lens? I tried them out a few years ago. They are pretty dang good! I have some with their persimmon lens and it really makes a difference with contrast of the course.

Those are one of the brands/lenses I'll be considering. Thanks.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Thanks for all the input guys. I have tried to play with my progressives but I find the ball tends to move on me and that sucks. My concern with distance only lenses would make things look closer than they really are. I have a pair of Oakley sunglasses that I could get distance lenses put in. That might be the way to go.

I wear contacts because I can't stand glasses on my face. I tried for well over a year to wear glasses, but they just bother me so much that I went with contacts. Much easier, better vision and I don't need bifocals. I just have my readers with me at all times.

Same. I tried "multifocal" contacts for a couple years and thought they were great until I started needing more up-close correction. There was a bit of a trade-off on distance that I did not like, so went back to standard contacts with readers for up close. I have yet to hit a golf ball with these contacts, but it can't be any worse than it was.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Plaid - have you looked at the Oakley “golf” lens? I tried them out a few years ago. They are pretty dang good! I have some with their persimmon lens and it really makes a difference with contrast of the course.

I use Oakley precreption classs for golf, & driving.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

I also wear bifocal glasses. I tried playing with them and just can't. I don't wear them now when I play. It may be slightly hurtful to my game but can't change. I do wear sunglasses (without prescription) on all sunny days.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I also wear bifocal glasses. I tried playing with them and just can't. I don't wear them now when I play. It may be slightly hurtful to my game but can't change. I do wear sunglasses (without prescription) on all sunny days.

That's the thing, I feel that playing without glasses that I am not seeing what I want to. Being relatively new to the glasses scene I thought it would be a good idea to see what others think or what works for them.

That's the thing, I feel that playing without glasses that I am not seeing what I want to. Being relatively new to the glasses scene I thought it would be a good idea to see what others think or what works for them.

I sure don't have a good answer only more questions. I've heard this discussion B4 from fellow golfers and not heard a good answer, at least for me.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I'm right at the age where contacts have gotten blurry for up close work. The same prescription single vision glasses are just fine. The doc said just moving the prescription that little bit of distance off the eyeball makes all the difference. I would prefer contacts so I could wear sunglasses for golf but unless I want to go bifocal that option is fading away. Decent prescription sunglasses are pretty pricey

I have bifocal contact lenses; they're “okay”. You're giving something up, and that something is really good, sharp reading focus. I've gone to single vision glasses in the last year or so, and they're good for golf. I just flip them on top of my head when I need to read or do close up detail work. Getting old sucks...

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

I have bifocal contact lenses; they're “okay”. You're giving something up, and that something is really good, sharp reading focus. I've gone to single vision glasses in the last year or so, and they're good for golf. I just flip them on top of my head when I need to read or do close up detail work. Getting old sucks...

Getting old does suck. I used to be able to see and had hair and could get out of a chair without making a noise. Not so much anymore lol.

Ok so you wear no prescription glasses at all while playing?  I'm really tempted to try that at my regular Tuesday group....   I'll keep my no line bifocals in my bag just in case. 

Cleveland

Getting old does suck. I used to be able to see and had hair and could get out of a chair without making a noise. Not so much anymore lol.

And see my toes

Rick

Left Hand, 

Ok so you wear no prescription glasses at all while playing? I'm really tempted to try that at my regular Tuesday group.... I'll keep my no line bifocals in my bag just in case.

Yup, give it a try but may not work for you. Keep the bifocals close .

Let us know how you do.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Yup, give it a try but may not work for you. Keep the bifocals close .

Let us know how you do.

If the locals see my big ole arse fall in a trap then they'll think I hit the jug too hard.  :D

Cleveland

I am right on the edge of needing bifocals. My optometrist told me that it was up to me this time around, but that I'll likely need them in the future. I asked her about golf and she told me that most of her patients that play golf have a pair of single-vision glasses with their distance prescription.

This is what I do.

This is what I do.

That's awesome if you can do it. I must have the combo of old fart, left handed and Irish.

Rick

Left Hand, 

So...... why not just wear contacts? You aren't gaining anything on the golf course with bifocals.... the distances are not close enough for readers/close vision. Looking down at a putt isn't close enough to warrant bifocals/readers. Looking at a tee shot isn't either. What do you need such clarity of close vision for on the golf course? 

I need 250 readers. I see no reason for them while playing, other than seeing what I'm writing on the score card.

So...... why not just wear contacts? You aren't gaining anything on the golf course with bifocals.... the distances are not close enough for readers/close vision. Looking down at a putt isn't close enough to warrant bifocals/readers. Looking at a tee shot isn't either. What do you need such clarity of close vision for on the golf course?

I need 250 readers. I see no reason for them while playing, other than seeing what I'm writing on the score card.

The 3 most said words in Florida golf “where'd it go??”.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Archived