TESTERS WANTED! ×

Glasses

Flipper554

And what does that have to do with "close" vision?

The ball may still be on the tee

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Something to look forward to is cataract surgery. They put in new lens and you don't need glasses or contacts my vision is 20/10. Age has its rewards. Lol

I have cataracts however not bad enough for surgery yet.

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

The 3 most said words in Florida golf “where'd it go??”.

And the next 3 most said words in Florida golf is "I don't remember."

I wear single vision glasses to drive (a car).  I tried bifocals; hated them.  I tried contacts; hated them too because I had to wear reading glasses with them.  Last year, I bought two pair of prescription glasses; clear lens for night driving and sunglasses for day from Costco and keep them in the car; switch them out as needed.  When I play golf, I start losing sight of the ball around 220 yards, so I try to limit my driving distance to that yardage.  That's my story and I'm sticking with it.   B)

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I've got SOOooo many eyes. Main is trans,progressive bifocal. Bifocal sunglasses. 2 for cycle (yellow = night, sunglasses for day. Golf sunglasses single & light rose for darker conditions. Note: I'm light sensitive

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I've got SOOooo many eyes. Main is trans,progressive bifocal. Bifocal sunglasses. 2 for cycle (yellow = night, sunglasses for day. Golf sunglasses single & light rose for darker conditions. Note: I'm light sensitive

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I didn't realize you could get prescription night glasses with the yellow lens?   Not too long ago I purchased some night driving (non prescription) glasses as I have a hard time seeing at night.  The glare from on coming headlights nearly blinds me. 

Cleveland

After reading the MGS age groups thread I think there are probably more than enough folks to answer this question. Two years ago I went to progressive lenses but I don't wear them golfing of course, it's just too weird. So for the last two years I have been playing fuzzy golf and just find it annoying. Now I am thinking of getting single vision distance glasses. Is this a good move?

I also wear progressive lenses and have worn single vision sunglasses for golf since 1995. My Optometrist was an avid golfer and told me to bring my clubs with me when I went for my appointment. He had me grip and set up for shots using the driver, fairways, irons, etc. and marked the lenses with a Sharpie. I asked him what he was doing and he told me that he was going to drop the focal point down so that nothing would be blurry when I addressed the ball. It wasn't much, but what a difference when I received my glasses. If I remember right, he lowered the focal point around 1/32”. I've had this done for every pair of shades I've had since.

A word of caution about Oakley sunglasses. If your lenses are too thick Oakley will refuse to build your glasses. This happened to me! I ordered a pair of Holbrooks and was told by them that my lenses were too thick and it would spoil the look of their product! So I didn't get any lenses from them. We had another company make them and they are awesome.

I wore contacts for about 20 years.  I abused the privilege and would keep them in my eyes for days at a time when I was younger, causing irreversible damage to the blood vessels in my eyes.  I haven't been able to wear contacts for about a decade now.  Stupid is as stupid does I guess.  The price you pay for being young and thinking you're invincible.

I have a few pair of single vision glasses with varying degrees of "tint" from Zenni Optical.  I use them a lot for all manner of outdoor activities.  They are good quality and very low cost.

https://www.zennioptical.com

I also wear progressive lenses and have worn single vision sunglasses for golf since 1995. My Optometrist was an avid golfer and told me to bring my clubs with me when I went for my appointment. He had me grip and set up for shots using the driver, fairways, irons, etc. and marked the lenses with a Sharpie. I asked him what he was doing and he told me that he was going to drop the focal point down so that nothing would be blurry when I addressed the ball. It wasn't much, but what a difference when I received my glasses. If I remember right, he lowered the focal point around 1/32”. I've had this done for every pair of shades I've had since.

A word of caution about Oakley sunglasses. If your lenses are too thick Oakley will refuse to build your glasses. This happened to me! I ordered a pair of Holbrooks and was told by them that my lenses were too thick and it would spoil the look of their product! So I didn't get any lenses from them. We had another company make them and they are awesome.

A lot of good stuff in the post!  I wish I had your optometrist. I've been going to the same one for 20 some years, and he's overall great guy and very good Dr. But he doesn't golf.  I've tried talking to him before about what I'm looking for in glasses/contacts in way of golf, but he doesn't' seem to understand the needs really.   When I brought up the single distance lens thing, (for my prescription sunglasses) he said he'd do it, but advised against it as it would cause more trouble than benefit.   I told him the only benefit I wanted out of it was to be able to see the ball while I played.    He said things like reading a scorecard or watch or GPS things would be difficult.   

As for the Oakley thing, I think they were spot on.  I have a very strong + prescription, and was turned down by a couple lens companies to make a prescription sun glass, as I need to have a relatively flat lens, due to my prescription.   Well Oakley made it after some coaxing from the Dr.  I think it turned out to be a $600 mistake.  They are very thick, and not very sharp at all, I can't see the ball beyond about 15 feet off the tee.  I don't even try to wear them for golf anymore, just driving on a very sunny/bright day if it's a long drive.  If it' sa short drive, I don't bother.

I should have returned them within the first two weeks, but I kept thinking I'd get accustomed to them, and I never did. 

To the original; OP.   I have had progressive lens in my regular glasses.  I've had them for over 20 years, and I don't  have any of the problems mentioned above, my difficulty hitting the ball solid, was there when I wore contacts as well...ha   probably even worst as my contacts made things appear further away than my glasses do.    So the ball looked much smaller.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Thus far I have found that the drug store reading glasses meets my needs.  So at this writing, I do not wear glasses when playing or for anything else beyond reading.   I must admit it has been a long time since I have had my eyes checked.   I think maybe I'm resisting because at least my eyes are still functioning well, or so I think or hope. It would be somewhat demoralizing to find that they are aging as well.

I went to the eye guy today and my prescription hasn't changed much over the last two years, so that's good. He recommended single vision distance for golf. We discussed Transitions, but he said they would not be good for me as I have blue eyes which are more sensitive to light and Transitions are not a good replacement for sunglasses. On the plus side they had a deal of $50 off for two pair of lenses. So I got a pair of clear lenses and new lenses for my Oakley sunglasses. Thanks to you all for your help with this endeavour. No more fuzzy golf.

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

I went to the eye guy today and my prescription hasn't changed much over the last two years, so that's good. He recommended single vision distance for golf. We discussed Transitions, but he said they would not be good for me as I have blue eyes which are more sensitive to light and Transitions are not a good replacement for sunglasses. On the plus side they had a deal of $50 off for two pair of lenses. So I got a pair of clear lenses and new lenses for my Oakley sunglasses. Thanks to you all for your help with this endeavour. No more fuzzy golf.

Were you already wearing bifocals ?

Cleveland

Were you already wearing bifocals ?

Yes, no line progressives but just couldn't play golf with them.

Yes, no line progressives but just couldn't play golf with them.

This is such an interesting thread.  Looking forward to your journey with the single vision lens.

Cleveland

This is such an interesting thread.  Looking forward to your journey with the single vision lens.

They should be ready next week. I am really looking forward to seeing how they work. I'll update when I get a few rounds in.

After reading the MGS age groups thread I think there are probably more than enough folks to answer this question. Two years ago I went to progressive lenses but I don't wear them golfing of course, it's just too weird. So for the last two years I have been playing fuzzy golf and just find it annoying. Now I am thinking of getting single vision distance glasses. Is this a good move?

Not a good move.

I use progressive with magnified bottoms for reading and computer work. My old set had changing darkness in the lenses and worked great. I let my wife talk me into sunglasses to protect my eyes.

First trip, bought Oakley wraparound with my standard script. WHAT A MISTAKE!! Due to the wrap around lenses, the world warped and I couldn't hit tghe ball because of the variance.

I took them back and had single vision lenses in. Not much better as now there's No magnification in the bottom so I can't read anything except at arms length and causes a bit of vertigo and a headache (granted this may be just getting used to newlenses)

In the interim,I bought new glasses which I didn't have the darkening lenses added because I had sunglasses.

Now I only use my stock glasses with no protection for the above reasons.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I wear progressive lens' with transitions in them and I have no problem.  I have a pair of sunglasses that are a single lens and I like them but, then I can't read the score card or my GPC very well.  Next year when my insurance will pay for another set of glasses, I will get progressive sunglasses.

:cobra-small: Max Superlite 9.5* Driver   :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 10.5* Driver    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 16* 3 Wood    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 19* 5 Wood

:taylormade-small: Mid Rescue - 2, 3, 4, & 5 Hybrids     :taylormade-small: M2 - 6 Hybrid

:cleveland-small: 588 Altitude 7-PW    :cleveland-small: Tour Action 588 52* Gap wedge   :cleveland-small: Smart Sole 58* San wedge

:cleveland-small: Frontline Elvado Single Bend 33" putter (testing)                   

:MLA: Target Adixion 33" putter

:titelist-small:  Velocity Golf Balls

I wear progressive lens' with transitions in them and I have no problem.  I have a pair of sunglasses that are a single lens and I like them but, then I can't read the score card or my GPC very well.  Next year when my insurance will pay for another set of glasses, I will get progressive sunglasses.

This sounds like the closest to my situation.  I have Progressive and play ok in them.  Well I see OK, playing is another issue.  Ha   I used to have progressive transitions.  And they were ok, not the most stylish, and I always felt a bit odd like some sort of stalker or something when I came inside and would still be wearing dark lenses for about 5 minutes or so.  

My Dr. recommended against single vision for the exact issue you are having.  I tried to tell him it wouldn't be that much of an inconvenience, he said, it would be more than I realized.  

I have been wearing progressive lenses for over 25 years. I couldn't wear contacts due to my severe allergies so progressives was the way to go. I also had probs with sunglasses, using the clip ones that came with my rx glasses. So about 8 years ago I got fitted for some progressive sunglasses. I selected the WylieX frames as they had curvature in the lense and smoothed out the putting. If you need progressives then get some rx sunglasses with curvature.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

As mentioned above. I have transitions but thats for short stays outside. Like you I'm light sensitive and they don't truly cut it. Id recommend sunglasses. Just my 2 cents

I didn't realize you could get prescription night glasses with the yellow lens? Not too long ago I purchased some night driving (non prescription) glasses as I have a hard time seeing at night. The glare from on coming headlights nearly blinds me.

We use to have a company come out to work.. They were with 3M. But I think you can get yellow from any eye glass store/dr.

This sounds like the closest to my situation.  I have Progressive and play ok in them.  Well I see OK, playing is another issue.  Ha   I used to have progressive transitions.  And they were ok, not the most stylish, and I always felt a bit odd like some sort of stalker or something when I came inside and would still be wearing dark lenses for about 5 minutes or so.  

My Dr. recommended against single vision for the exact issue you are having.  I tried to tell him it wouldn't be that much of an inconvenience, he said, it would be more than I realized.

So it sounds like it really depends upon where you are in your progression with progressives.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

So it sounds like it really depends upon where you are in your progression with progressives.

How long you been sitting on that one lol.

Well you could say my transition was less than progressive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just tell someone else they will have to keep score and look at ya range finder/gps because you can't see .   Just don't bet much money while they're bird dogging for  ya...  ;)  

Cleveland

Archived