GCSAA Supt

Bubba's golf ball

Bubba Watson signed a big money deal to play the Volvik golf ball and dropped off the face of the earth...well at least out of the top 100 in world rankings.

He's back playing the Titleist Pro V line and I loved watching the shot tracer and the curve on his shots during his win in LA this weekend.  Any correlation between the ball and his play?

Jim, the retired GC Super

• Like 2

I think it might be a combination of his health and the ball.  It's sad that he got sick after signing the Volvik deal. I think it a pretty good ball... if you hit it straight; probably why its popular on the LPGA.  Since Bubba likes to move the ball... a lot, the PV1x fits his type of play better.

• Like 2

This year.  A year ago, he signed a multi-year deal to play the Volvik ball, but terminated it this year.  He went back to the PV1x without a contract from Titleist... yet.

That's why Titleist is the #1 ball on the PGA. Are they overpriced? Sure they are. Are they worth it? That's the question.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Think lot of Bubbas problem with any ball is between his ears. I love Bubba but he is a real special player

• Like 3

When the telecast was discussing the ball Dottie mentioned that the sound was not working for Bubba.  After hearing that I wondered if that was something she noticed or talked to Bubba and he mentioned the sound.  If it was the sound (feel) of the ball giving him problems it seems like he would get used to it after awhile but he is one of the most feel players on the tour.  

Yeah I remember him playing that god awful volvik ball. And I will agree they sound weird off the club. Not sure it would affect my

Game because of a sound it's making though. I have a feeling it was something else. But it's bubba he's a weird dude

• Like 1

Like Kenny B mentioned, I think it is a combination of factors. IMO the ball did play a significant role though.

• Like 2

Psychological or real it's clear the ball mattered for him.

And exactly why would the Pro VI line be very over priced again? Aren't we Americans Capitalists? Doesn't Titleist have the right to charge what it does just as much as Dean Snell?

Their business model is their business model. My goodness if you don't want to play their ball buy someone else's.

I play their ball even on my modest income. I buy it when you get the free dozen which lowers the price and then I've learned to hit the ball straight so that I don't loose many. I bought four dozen over a year ago and still have two dozen plus left.

Was it a foolish purchase?

• Like 5

Yup. Rev's right. I've tried a few other brands, the only one I really liked was the Wilson, but that is the same price as Pro V's. Now for the 2017/2018 models which one is the “actual” Pro V1x?

• Like 1

Yup. Rev's right. I've tried a few other brands, the only one I really liked was the Wilson, but that is the same price as Pro V's. Now for the 2017/2018 models which one is the “actual” Pro V1x?

I know you won't like this answer, but there are multiple variations of the pro v1x that are played on tour that aren't available to the public. There's the prov1, prov1x, prov1x-, and prov1x° that I know of
  • Like 2

I know you won't like this answer, but there are multiple variations of the pro v1x that are played on tour that aren't available to the public. There's the prov1, prov1x, prov1x-, and prov1x° that I know of

My guess is that he would have one that spins more than the one we use because that's his game.

I think he gets a discount, too.

• Like 2

RevKev is right on from my perspective.  Bubba has the confidence to move the ball the way he wants to with the ProV.  The detour with Volvik was a fun sideshow but Bubba just didn't seem to have the confidence in what that ball could do.  

Its crazy how this game is so mental.  I am always trying to pull out of my mental shrimpy-ness.

• Like 2

Bubba might be the most entertaining player to watch even if he does often come off as a tool but he's such a feel player that I think the ball change was huge for him. You don't often see him changing his clubs and even when he does he seems loyal to shafts and the like.

• Like 1

Bubba might be the most entertaining player to watch even if he does often come off as a tool but he's such a feel player that I think the ball change was huge for him. You don't often see him changing his clubs and even when he does he seems loyal to shafts and the like.

What was surprising to me was that Bubba made the change to Volvik in the first place. Someone who's still playing S55s is obviously not looking to make changes. I'm sure the $$ was there, but how much money did he leave on the table last year with the Volvik?

• Like 1

We had a couple of those S4s on our putting green and it felt and sounded like crap.

What was surprising to me was that Bubba made the change to Volvik in the first place. Someone who's still playing S55s is obviously not looking to make changes. I'm sure the $$ was there, but how much money did he leave on the table last year with the Volvik?

I've got a strong dislike to that ball. Picked up a couple at the GG counter (yes impulse purchase) last summer. Felt like I was hitting rocks. I like the bright colors but not enough to switch out.