TESTERS WANTED! ×

Bubba's golf ball

GCSAA Supt

Bubba Watson signed a big money deal to play the Volvik golf ball and dropped off the face of the earth...well at least out of the top 100 in world rankings.

He's back playing the Titleist Pro V line and I loved watching the shot tracer and the curve on his shots during his win in LA this weekend.  Any correlation between the ball and his play?

Jim, the retired GC Super

I think it might be a combination of his health and the ball.  It's sad that he got sick after signing the Volvik deal. I think it a pretty good ball... if you hit it straight; probably why its popular on the LPGA.  Since Bubba likes to move the ball... a lot, the PV1x fits his type of play better.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

This year.  A year ago, he signed a multi-year deal to play the Volvik ball, but terminated it this year.  He went back to the PV1x without a contract from Titleist... yet.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Think lot of Bubbas problem with any ball is between his ears. I love Bubba but he is a real special player

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

When the telecast was discussing the ball Dottie mentioned that the sound was not working for Bubba.  After hearing that I wondered if that was something she noticed or talked to Bubba and he mentioned the sound.  If it was the sound (feel) of the ball giving him problems it seems like he would get used to it after awhile but he is one of the most feel players on the tour.  

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

Yeah I remember him playing that god awful volvik ball. And I will agree they sound weird off the club. Not sure it would affect my

Game because of a sound it's making though. I have a feeling it was something else. But it's bubba he's a weird dude

Like Kenny B mentioned, I think it is a combination of factors. IMO the ball did play a significant role though.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Psychological or real it's clear the ball mattered for him.

And exactly why would the Pro VI line be very over priced again? Aren't we Americans Capitalists? Doesn't Titleist have the right to charge what it does just as much as Dean Snell?

Their business model is their business model. My goodness if you don't want to play their ball buy someone else's.

I play their ball even on my modest income. I buy it when you get the free dozen which lowers the price and then I've learned to hit the ball straight so that I don't loose many. I bought four dozen over a year ago and still have two dozen plus left.

Was it a foolish purchase?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Yup. Rev's right. I've tried a few other brands, the only one I really liked was the Wilson, but that is the same price as Pro V's. Now for the 2017/2018 models which one is the “actual” Pro V1x?

I know you won't like this answer, but there are multiple variations of the pro v1x that are played on tour that aren't available to the public. There's the prov1, prov1x, prov1x-, and prov1x° that I know of

I know you won't like this answer, but there are multiple variations of the pro v1x that are played on tour that aren't available to the public. There's the prov1, prov1x, prov1x-, and prov1x° that I know of

My guess is that he would have one that spins more than the one we use because that's his game.

I think he gets a discount, too.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

RevKev is right on from my perspective.  Bubba has the confidence to move the ball the way he wants to with the ProV.  The detour with Volvik was a fun sideshow but Bubba just didn't seem to have the confidence in what that ball could do.  

Its crazy how this game is so mental.  I am always trying to pull out of my mental shrimpy-ness.

:callaway-small:  Epic Flash SZ 9o w/ Ventus 6X

:callaway-small:  Rogue 4wd w/ ATMOS Red 7X

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20o w/ ATMOS Blue 7S tipped 1"

:mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour 4i - PW (standard lofts) Rifle

:titelist-small:  SM6 51o, 59o, SM7 55o   

:titelist-small:  2019 ProV1x

:tp-mills-1: Custom Ming

Bubba might be the most entertaining player to watch even if he does often come off as a tool but he's such a feel player that I think the ball change was huge for him. You don't often see him changing his clubs and even when he does he seems loyal to shafts and the like.

Check us out at The Grip Life, presented by Bestgrips.com

Bubba might be the most entertaining player to watch even if he does often come off as a tool but he's such a feel player that I think the ball change was huge for him. You don't often see him changing his clubs and even when he does he seems loyal to shafts and the like.

Check us out at The Grip Life, presented by Bestgrips.com

What was surprising to me was that Bubba made the change to Volvik in the first place. Someone who's still playing S55s is obviously not looking to make changes. I'm sure the $$ was there, but how much money did he leave on the table last year with the Volvik?

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

We had a couple of those S4s on our putting green and it felt and sounded like crap.

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

What was surprising to me was that Bubba made the change to Volvik in the first place. Someone who's still playing S55s is obviously not looking to make changes. I'm sure the $$ was there, but how much money did he leave on the table last year with the Volvik?

I've got a strong dislike to that ball. Picked up a couple at the GG counter (yes impulse purchase) last summer. Felt like I was hitting rocks. I like the bright colors but not enough to switch out. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

It's my understanding if a pro doesn't have a contract with Titleist, but play their balls they do in fact supply them for the player.  There is also some form of incentive based on wins, top 10's etc.

This is different than the club contract that you see with all the black and white Titleist tour bags our there.

This is how it was explained to me by the Titleist rep in Eastern Mass. that supplied the course I managed.

Jim

Golf is so much of a mental game that if Bubba THOUGHT the ball made a difference then it did, whether it did or didn't.

Why does my head hurt now? #DeepThoughts 

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

Archived