TESTERS WANTED! ×

New handicap system coming - WHS

hckymeyer

Just this morning the USGA and R&A announced a new World Handicap System coming in 2020.  There are currently different handicapping systems in use throughout the world and for those who play in different countries it can be hard to get those handicaps to translate.  Check out this article on golf.com for the details but it sounds like they are trying to make it easier for folks to get a handicap and make the movement of an individuals handicap less volatile.

So is this a good move?

http://www.golf.com/tour-news/2018/02/19/governing-bodies-announce-plans-more-equitable-user-friendly-global-handicapping-system

Consider the golf handicap system, meant to be the game's great equalizer.

Except it doesn't always work that way.

The catch is that there is no single unifying system employed by golfers around the world.

British and Irish golfers abide by different guidelines than their American counterparts, whose methods vary from those of the Australians, who don't do things the same way as the Swedes or the Chinese. On and on it goes, this border-crossing babble, resulting in a fair share of frustration and confusion.

Surely golf would be better off with a universal system, a handicapping Esperanto used and understood by all. That's what the governing bodies have set out to create.

In a joint announcement Tuesday morning, the USGA and the R&A unveiled a proposal for a World Handicap System (WHS), slated to go into effect in 2020.

When the system is rolled out the six existing handicapping authorities around the globe — Golf Australia, the Council of National Golf Unions in Great Britain and Ireland, the European Golf Association, the South African Golf Association, the Argentine Golf Association, and the USGA, along with the 15 million golfers in 80 countries they cumulatively represent — will lay aside their differences and begin adhering to the same rules.

Those rules are plenty detailed in the fine print, but their overarching goal comes down to this: make the game more fair, accessible and fun.

“The different handicapping systems around the world have, by and large, worked very well for the golfers they serve, but there are discrepancies among them that can make it difficult to transport a handicap,” said Steve Edmondson, the USGA's managing director of handicapping and course rating. “With the (WHS), we are trying to make it easier for golfers to obtain and maintain a handicap. We also want to make those handicaps more portable. And we want to make them more equitable, no matter where or when you play.”

For golfers in this country, parts of the WHS will ring familiar; among other things, the new guidelines will adopt the USGA Course and Slope Rating System,which is already used in more than 80 countries and will further stretch its global reach.

Some notable changes are in store.

For starters, to encourage more people to establish a handicap, the minimum number of scores required to do so will be reduced from 90 holes (or five 18-hole rounds) to 54 holes. Any combination of 18-hole and nine-hole scores will suffice. At the same time, the maximum allowable handicap will rise to 54.0 for all players. The current maximum handicap is 40.4 for women and 36.4 for men. The goal here, too, is inclusivity — specifically to get more people to start tracking their scores.

The way that handicaps are computed will be refined as well. Under the WHS, a player's handicap will be an average of the eight best of his or her most recent 20 scores (the current system takes the 10 best out of the most recent 20 scores). That change will result in a slight downward tick in handicaps, but its primary purpose is to safeguard against a sudden upward surge brought on by a recent run of bad form that is not representative of a player's ability. In short, it makes handicaps less volatile.

Handicaps will also be updated daily, rather than on the 1st and 15th of every month. Those updates will include a calculation that accounts for abnormal course and weather conditions, something the existing USGA system does not do.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Overall I think it sounds good.  I'm not real familiar with how the rest of world handicap systems work, but I have heard from a few friends in Scotland, that only Club or as we may call it tournament rounds count towards the handicap.   So as a result a player with a handicap of 5 in the UK, is a probably better than a player with a handicap of 5 in the US.  If it's truly meant to be a worldwide system, I suppose those recording methods would need to be synchronized.   

I like the only needing  54 holes to get an established HC vs the previous 90.    And it will be interesting to see how the change to best 8 scores vs. best 10 used for the calculation shakes out.  Anything that lowers my handicap I'm in favor of   :D

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Here's a few more links to the USGA page and a handy graphic...

Main WHS page

WHS FAQ

I'll be curious how they implement taking the weather conditions in to account

Highlights-of-WHS_Jan-24_FINAL_cb-2-18.jpg

I'm intrigued by the weather component.

It makes sense to have all world handicaps calculated the same way. 8/20 rather than 10 plus the other changes will lower handicaps. That's good news for guys who are honest about their scores.

Always remember that your handicap measures your potential, not what you normally shoot. It also compares to course rating and not par.

I like the changes

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I like the changes as well.   I particularly like the reduction to the best 8 scores as I think it will better represent one's current play.   During my upcoming retirement, while I won't be playing tournaments outside the US, I do hope to play some golf outside the US.  Under a worldwide system, I should be able to post the scores.   

Our current system on an extremely limited basis currently does recognize weather conditions. In my area,  I assume because of our winters, our computers for handicapping purposes close on November 15 and reopens on March 15.   However, if I play in a locale where scores are being posted, I should save the score and post it when the computer opens.  But such doesn't recognize conditions on any given day when scores are posted.

I'm also interested regarding the rule or proposed rule about the posting of scores when playing alone.   I'm also interested if the worldwide standards for slope and ratings will be amended.  Personally, while they may be the current best effort, I do question their relative accuracy in many cases, especially, the variances between the tees being used. Personally, I tend to play better from the Senior tees than the handicap system reflects.     

As rev said, taking into account the weather seems really interesting. Personally, I play in the rain a lot, so that would probably help me a bit. I'm not keen about the max score of net double bogey, but other than that, most of the changes look pretty good.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

The net double bogey will be a change to get used to.  Currently my max ESC is double with no net component.  Now on holes I get strokes on I could actually take a triple.  I'd love to think that won't come in to play, but sadly I'm sure it will :(

The net double bogey will be a change to get used to.  Currently my max ESC is double with no net component.  Now on holes I get strokes on I could actually take a triple.  I'd love to think that won't come in to play, but sadly I'm sure it will :(

My current ESC max is a 7.   However, it never made sense to me that it applied to a par 3 or a par 5.   A max based on the par of any given hole, whatever, that may be, seems better to me.

I think moving to a unified system is a good thing. I was talking to a friend about the weather aspect of it, and it sounds that it is up to the individual courses. From what I took from it, in the UK system, which already accounts for weather, the course sets a daily handicap factor for the weather. Anyone with actual experience with the weather aspect, please chime in though, because this is the most intriguing change to me.. 

In the Sun Mountain 4.5LS 14-way bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: M2 10.5° :: Accra FX260
Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 19° :: Fujikura ATMOS Tour Spec 7X Blue
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 21° :: Mitsubishi Black 80G50
Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 (5-AW) :: KBS Tour 110
Sand Wedge: :cleveland-small: CBX-2 54° :: KBS Tour 110
Lob Wedge: :cleveland-small: RTX-3 58° :: TT Dynamic Gold
Putter: :cameron-small: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: AVX

I like the changes as well.   I particularly like the reduction to the best 8 scores as I think it will better represent one's current play.   During my upcoming retirement, while I won't be playing tournaments outside the US, I do hope to play some golf outside the US.  Under a worldwide system, I should be able to post the scores.   

Our current system on an extremely limited basis currently does recognize weather conditions. In my area,  I assume because of our winters, our computers for handicapping purposes close on November 15 and reopens on March 15.   However, if I play in a locale where scores are being posted, I should save the score and post it when the computer opens.  But such doesn't recognize conditions on any given day when scores are posted.

I'm also interested regarding the rule or proposed rule about the posting of scores when playing alone.   I'm also interested if the worldwide standards for slope and ratings will be amended.  Personally, while they may be the current best effort, I do question their relative accuracy in many cases, especially, the variances between the tees being used. Personally, I tend to play better from the Senior tees than the handicap system reflects.

To post winter scores played on vacation for example, you can post to GHIN directly, as opposed to your regional system which doesn't accept out of season scoring.

<p>In my bag: Ping G LS Tec 9* Tour 65 Stiff, Cobra F8 3-4 wood HZRDUS Yellow 6.0, Calloway 21* X Forged Utility iron (steel stiff), Ping G30 white dot 4-9 Stiff 110 gm KBS tours  Scor 48,52,56,60 Wedges, Nike Method Core MC3</p><p>

As rev said, taking into account the weather seems really interesting. Personally, I play in the rain a lot, so that would probably help me a bit. 

From what I understand, the CONGU system essentially looks at the scores posted on a specific day, as well as the handicaps of the players, and backcalculates  a Daily Course Rating (not sure of the terminology) so that the differentials for the day fall within some reasonable range of "normal".   This isn't a guess of some kind made in advance, its essentially a correction applied after the scores are in.

My best guess is that the new maximum score will reduce some of those high hole scores a little.  As someone noted, it will specifically influence scores on par-3s quite a bit, and to par-4s to a smaller extent.  Between that, and reducing the number of scores from 10 of 20 to 8 will tend to lower handicaps a little.

I'm interested in this phrase of the announcement:

"factoring in memory of demonstrated ability for better responsiveness and control", wondering if this will be some adaptation of the current USGA system for dealing with "exceptional tournament scores". 

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I think moving to a unified system is a good thing. I was talking to a friend about the weather aspect of it, and it sounds that it is up to the individual courses. From what I took from it, in the UK system, which already accounts for weather, the course sets a daily handicap factor for the weather. Anyone with actual experience with the weather aspect, please chime in though, because this is the most intriguing change to me..

That would be interesting to me as well since we play in temps ranking from 40's to low 90's.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

My current ESC max is a 7. However, it never made sense to me that it applied to a par 3 or a par 5. A max based on the par of any given hole, whatever, that may be, seems better to me.

We'll all still have to wait for some dude to make that six footer for a nine...

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

I like these changes. Shouldn't change anything too much for us that do not get to play outside of the country other than possible lowering ones handicap.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

I like these changes. Shouldn't change anything too much for us that do not get to play outside of the country other than possible lowering ones handicap.

I see it as a heck of an improvement to the current system, international play aside. It'll definitely make it harder to play to your handicap which is exactly what a good handicap system should do.

There's so many new things in place that just.....make....sense. I'm not sure if I'm more encouraged by the changes themselves or the simple fact that the USGA/R&A were able to agree on something and make a change this drastic to an age-old system.

I love it.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

The changes look pretty good to me, but I probably won't be tracking my index in two years anyway.  I'll likely do GHIN or maybe The Grint one more year, but by 2020 I doubt I will be tracking anything but the occasional good score.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Here in Australia we seem to have been the guinea pigs for the process. We changed to a CONGU like system, to almost identical to USGA system, to our current system which incorporates bits of both.

Slope has been fully incorporated, our last change bought a Daily Course Rating back in to account for conditions. DSR is a retrospective calculation done after a competition closes. I'm not sure how it will be calculated for non competitive rounds as it requires a certain number of rounds entered to be calculated.

Allowing non competition rounds to be entered will be a massive cultural shift for Australian golf. That is by far the biggest change for us.

It appears the WHS has some form of handicap anchor. Ours is currently a maximum of 5 higher than the lowest within a year.

54 maximum will be different (to say the least) The balance between encouraging new golfers and discouraging old ones is interesting.  We may have to adjust the unofficial rule at my club where you have to buy a round of drinks if you don't beat "Gordon's" score. He plays off 36 and usually gets no where near it. Off 54 he would be much more competitive. He usually comes in around 100-110 net in stroke rounds.

I'm not necessarily planning to play competitive rounds internationally, but if the opportunity arises would look forward to it. This new system might make it easier.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

It definitely seems interesting, it would change a few things but golf is golf and a handicap should be the same no matter where we play

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Always remember that your handicap measures your potential, not what you normally shoot. It also compares to course rating and not par.

Amen to that. The course I play 60% of my golf at has a course rating that's 4 shots below par. From the back tees. I can shoot nothing out there, and it still hardly moves my handicap. Still gotta get the ball in the hole 18 times. Then I play with the summer college volunteers and they'll be annoyed they shot -3.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Allowing non competition rounds to be entered will be a massive cultural shift for Australian golf. That is by far the biggest change for us.

Peaksy - A couple of questions:

1. How frequently does your club hold tournaments?

2. How frequently do daily-fee courses hold tournaments?

3. How much are entry fees?

I need further education on this, but it's my understanding that clubs/courses in Australia hold tournaments far more frequently than we do in the US. Which I think is great for you and bad for us. I'd love to be able to play a competitive round once a week, even if it's just a Stableford or a stroke-play with a maximum score for a hole. It'd make me a much better player.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Peaksy - A couple of questions:1. How frequently does your club hold tournaments?2. How frequently do daily-fee courses hold tournaments?3. How much are entry fees?I need further education on this, but it's my understanding that clubs/courses in Australia hold tournaments far more frequently than we do in the US. Which I think is great for you and bad for us. I'd love to be able to play a competitive round once a week, even if it's just a Stableford or a stroke-play with a maximum score for a hole. It'd make me a much better player.

My club is probably typical of most private clubs.

Competition run most days.

Monday Men's and Women's ~75 men, 20 women

Tuesday Women's 9 hole ~ 20

Wednesday Men's ~ 140

Thursday Womens ~ 75

Saturday Mens and Women's ~180 men 20 women

Sunday Mens and Women's, smaller fields with mostly green fee and social groups on the timesheet.

Men's Saturday competitions are roughly half Stableford, a quarter each Strokeplay and Par. We have an occasional 4BBB thrown in as well.Mid week competitions are rarely Strokeplay.

We pay a competition fee each competition of $7 plus $1 for the "golden shot" which is winner take all for NTP on our 17th hole. About 3/4 of competition fees are returned as prizes.

We have major events, which usually involve a qualifying round and then Matchplay (handicap)

Club Championships are now running as 3 rounds of Strokeplay. First Saturday of each season is quarterly medal, which is always Strokeplay.

Competitions (other than Quarterly medal) are graded, with 2,3 or 4 grades depending on the size of the field.

Our results are automatically sent through to the handicapping system on completion of the competition, and are adjusted daily.

I play 30-40 competition rounds a year, plus the occasional matchplay round.

Daily fee courses don't often run competitions, but a lot of them have "clubs" associated with them that run their own competitions. Some have regular "black tee challenge" type events at reduced rates, and the better ones attract good fields.

A lot of private clubs have Tournament Weeks, with lots of events. These are mostly run by country clubs as a means of attracting visitors.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Peaksy - A couple of questions:

1. How frequently does your club hold tournaments?

2. How frequently do daily-fee courses hold tournaments?

3. How much are entry fees?

I need further education on this, but it's my understanding that clubs/courses in Australia hold tournaments far more frequently than we do in the US. Which I think is great for you and bad for us. I'd love to be able to play a competitive round once a week, even if it's just a Stableford or a stroke-play with a maximum score for a hole. It'd make me a much better player.

We have a similar case in Germany.

Only competitive rounds count towards your HCP. All golf clubs are members of the German Golf Federation and they provide an intranet that syncs your tournament rounds, no matter where you play. During competitive rounds, you'll always have someone keeping score for you and after the round, you both sign the score cards. Yeah, it's not cheater-proof, but at least you don't just submit whatever you want as a single.

If you feel there are not enough competitive rounds, you can always register for an EDS round (extra day score) which makes the round competitive. You'll need at least a witness that keeps score for you and signs the card after the round.

Most clubs will hold at least 1 competitive round per week (usually weekends). Then you have after-work tournaments, men's day, women's day, etc. If you are a member of the club, entry fees are usually EUR 5-10. Usually prizes for the first 3 places depending on partcipants.

If you fancy, playing a competitive round somewhere else, you can do so as well and your score will be submitted directly to the Golf Federation and sync with your home course.

There are both Stableford and stroke-play events (both count as competitive rounds). Stableford rounds use this system to determine both HCP and winner. Stroke-play rounds will use Stableford for HCP, and obviously strokes to determine winner.

Now, since many of you asked about weather, here's how they do it in Germany:

It's basically just a curve that adjusts the results of that round based on all scores submitted and compared to the average. The first version was CSA (Competition Stableford Adjustment) and it was then replaced by CBA (Computer Buffer Adjustment).

In case you are not familiar with Stableford, that awards 3 pts for birdie, 2 pts for par, 1 pt for bogey and 0 pts for anything worse than bogey (net). So regardless of HCP, the ideal scenario is you shoot (net) par, which would be 36 pts for 18 holes.

We then have index categories (not sure if it's like this globally or only EGA):

Category 1: up to -4.4

Category 2: -4.5 to -11.4

Category 3: -11.5 to -18.4

Category 4: -18.5 to 26.4

Category 5: -26.5 to -36

Category 6: -37 to -54

If you shoot over 36 pts, HCP will go down (how much depends on the index category)

If you fail to shoot 36 pts, your HCP will increase.

But you have a buffer where your HCP doesn't change:

Category 1: 2

Category 2: 2

Category 3: 3

Category 4: 4

Category 5: 5

Category 6: -

That means if you have a HCP of 15, category 3, you can shoot between 33 and 36 pts and it will not affect your HCP.

So let's say it was a shitty rainy day with extreme low temps and most players shot 1 or 2 pts below their buffer zone.

Instead of adjusting the HCP of the whole field, they'll modify the buffer zone with CBA by let's say +2 strokes.

In the example above, the guy shoots 31 pts, but with CBA +2, his HCP won't be affected. And this applies to all players that day.

CSA used to add the +2 to your score, CBA now only changes the buffer zone. Your score is your score.

Sorry for the long explanation, I wasn't sure if the EGA rules were known in other countries.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I'm intrigued by the weather component.

It makes sense to have all world handicaps calculated the same way. 8/20 rather than 10 plus the other changes will lower handicaps. That's good news for guys who are honest about their scores.

I like the changes

I read an article that said the new handicaps actually will be based off of par rather than course rating, but I don't see that anywhere in the USGA rollout.

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

I read an article that said the new handicaps actually will be based off of par rather than course rating, but I don't see that anywhere in the USGA rollout.

If you look closer, you'll see that the USGA Course Rating and Slope system will be used.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

If you look closer, you'll see that the USGA Course Rating and Slope system will be used.

If you look closer lol? Daaaamn Dave

Here's what I was referring to. It's a Golf Digest article from yesterday

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/usga-randa-unveil-new-world-handicap-system-set-to-debut-in-2020

The part that caught my eye is (emphasis and italics theirs): The new formula, which will count both nine- and 18-hole scores, will use a course's Slope and Rating and will continue to produce an Index based off a players' potential that's then translated to a “playing handicap” for each set of tees at each course. One difference: These playing handicaps will represent the number of strokes a golfer gets in relation to par, rather than Course Rating,

So if I'm reading that correctly it seems that guys playing at tougher courses can expect their "playing handicap" number to go up?

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/usga-randa-unveil-new-world-handicap-system-set-to-debut-in-2020

The part that caught my eye is (emphasis and italics theirs): The new formula, which will count both nine- and 18-hole scores, will use a course's Slope and Rating and will continue to produce an Index based off a players' potential that's then translated to a “playing handicap” for each set of tees at each course. One difference: These playing handicaps will represent the number of strokes a golfer gets in relation to par, rather than Course Rating,

So if I'm reading that correctly it seems that guys playing at tougher courses can expect their "playing handicap" number to go up?

Isn't that already the way it works now?

You have an index and depending which tees you play from, you have a number of strokes in relation to par

Example: you are a 10.0, so on this course from the black tees you get 15 strokes

vorgabe.JPG

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

My apologies, I was reading the actual release from the USGA (duplicated by the R&A) that makes it clear that the USGA rating system (Course and Slope Ratings) would be used.  For those of us in the US, especially at higher handicap levels, we're accustomed to receiving an additional stroke or two when playing a course with a higher slope rating.  The effect is minimal for a 1-handicap like you, but for a 25 handicapper it can be pretty significant.

For those where Slope hasn't been used before, its essentially intended to evaluate the difference in difficulty for players of differing handicap levels.  A top level player just might average 72 on two different courses, even though one has more bunkers or hazards, because he doesn't hit it into those problem spots.  A 18 handicapper, on the other hand, might average 92 on a straightforward course with minimal problem areas, and average 95 on a course with lots of bunkers or water.  The Slope Rating is an effort to quantify that effect.  There's some reasonable information at:

http://popeofslope.com/courserating/sysdev.html

and lots of detail here:

http://www.usga.org/handicapping-articles/course-rating-primer-e5bf725f.html

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

One problem not addressed is home course advantage. I play with a group at the same course every week. When I play the occasional course that I am not familiar with, I generally shoot about 3 strokes higher. They always ask to categorize your scores, why not have a home, away and tournament handicaps. 

Keep in mind the opposite is true. A golfer with the same index unfamiliar with my course, has no shot at beating me.

It makes sense there is no reason to have more than one way to figure out a players handicap. Don't know why they didn't do this sooner.

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

Archived