golfinnut

Jack Nicklaus vs The Golf Ball

Jack's been beating that drum for ever. Sure dial it back for the Pros, I don't care. As for us amateurs make that sucker fly, we foot the bill anyway give us some extra yards, and while you're at it make the hole bigger.

Agree, except for enlarging the hole. Those are fun tournaments to play though. Try a big cup scramble sometime. #Riot!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

From a "Basics Principles of Physics" perspective, Jack has a point re: increased distance as it relates to slow play.

More specifically, it is so much easier to hit a fairway with a ball that travels 250 yds than it is to hit the same fairway with a ball that travels 275 yds. If you'll concede the prior point but don't see Jack's reasoning yet, stay with me. In response to increases in ball distance, older designs have added tee boxes and newer designs are almost all 7000+ yards; but fairways haven't become appreciably wider. The same 250 yard mishit that put you on the right edge of the fairway now deposits you 5 yards into the deep stuff. And unfortunately, the 25 yard distance "advantage" has been absorbed by design changes so you're not any closer to the green than before the modern ball and now your lie is terrible.

The theory: a foursome playing at 6100 yards will score lower and subsequently play faster than the same foursome playing the same course at 6700 yards with a ball that travels 10% further.

Except: The dudes that play the wrong tees will STILL play from the same spot, hit it 30% shorter, take 40% more strokes, and 5:30 rounds will be the norm. Swing & a miss, Jack...

• Like 4

With all of the REAL problems that golf does have right now, why does Nicklaus decide to go after this? Ugh. Keep one set of rules (that's what makes the game special), and if a course wants to play soft and slow to tone down the long ball, so be it. If they want to pinch in landing areas at 290, go for it. If they just want to be Harbor Town, be Harbor Town (it works for them).

In the meantime, find a real problem to solve, Jack!

15,16 & 17 at PGA National are playing 410 over par after two rounds of golf played by the best players in the World. The leaders of the tournament are 3 under par. It's NOT the golf ball!

• Like 4

Exactly - PGA National and then they'll come over here to Innisbrook which will hold up fine and neither are long courses. It's all about how the course is set up. Keep it tight, throw in some water and swirling wind.

Just stop with the they're hitting it too far stuff.

• Like 7

Exactly - PGA National and then they'll come over here to Innisbrook which will hold up fine and neither are long courses. It's all about how the course is set up. Keep it tight, throw in some water and swirling wind.

Just stop with the they're hitting it too far stuff.

Exactly this. Make the courses tough for them.

• Like 3

This is akin to tearing down your house for a leaky faucet. The golf ball isn't the only technology helping increase distance.

Should we also go back to using goats to cut the grass?

• Like 3

Jack forgets that 99.9% of the golfing world can't compete, at even the slightest level, with a touring pro.

If the USGA, PGA, R&A, LPGA, etc..... want/feel the need to adjust the ball for touring pros, I'm fine with it. Just leave the ball alone for the 99.9% of the rest of us. The ball isn't the problem for slow play..... on the pro tour or otherwise.

• Like 2

I heard former commissioner Deane Beman on the radio the other day and he thought Nicklaus was way off base. His solution was to roll the aerodynamics and the cover back so that the ball will spin sideways again. That way balls hit at higher speeds will be penalized further off line.

He said making the ball shorter just hands the trophy to longer hitters

• Like 1

This is akin to tearing down your house for a leaky faucet. The golf ball isn't the only technology helping increase distance.

Yes! I'm all in on the

• Like 4

This would throw a serious boat anchor on growth of the game. How many people would watch/play hockey if they put weights on everyone's skates?

This would throw a serious boat anchor on growth of the game. How many people would watch/play hockey if they put weights on everyone's skates?

As long as they don't bring back the blue streak on the puck.

How about sheep, they taste better too.
  • Like 2

I have always thought the course designs were too open. Instead of talking ball distance, design the courses do you don't want to hit long all the time. Force the players to use their irons more.

• Like 4

3 years ago the USGA was all about teeing it forward. Now they want us to not hit it as far.

Make up your mind, you can't have it both ways.

It's like I have these thoughts and I keep scrolling and you've already posted them! I cannot agree more with what you have said!

• Like 1

I'm still confused why people don't enjoy the long ball... people mad ar hr hitters or guys with fast slap shots. Pitchers throwing 103mph. Sounds like everyone will be getting a participation trophy soon. Either getting stronger and work at the long ball or get better with your irons.

• Like 2

From a "Basics Principles of Physics" perspective, Jack has a point re: increased distance as it relates to slow play.

More specifically, it is so much easier to hit a fairway with a ball that travels 250 yds than it is to hit the same fairway with a ball that travels 275 yds. If you'll concede the prior point but don't see Jack's reasoning yet, stay with me. In response to increases in ball distance, older designs have added tee boxes and newer designs are almost all 7000+ yards; but fairways haven't become appreciably wider. The same 250 yard mishit that put you on the right edge of the fairway now deposits you 5 yards into the deep stuff. And unfortunately, the 25 yard distance "advantage" has been absorbed by design changes so you're not any closer to the green than before the modern ball and now your lie is terrible.

The theory: a foursome playing at 6100 yards will score lower and subsequently play faster than the same foursome playing the same course at 6700 yards with a ball that travels 10% further.

agree but Jacks thought is geared towards pros not am s

Bags

• Like 1

http://www.golfchannel.com/article/golf-central-blog/nicklaus-eager-help-usga-rein-golf-ball-distance/

http://www.golfchannel.com/video/nicklaus-titleist-controls-game/

Jack Nicklaus wants to reign in the golf ball, bring it back "20%" .... back to when they used the wound golf ball.

He says it's taking too long to play golf. People don't have enough time to play golf, 5 hours or more.

I don't think the golf ball has anything to do with the slow play today in golf. We could go on for days about it but ...

Calling out Titleist? Really. Just because "they control the game."

Thoughts?

long long conversation here but bottom line don't roll ball back. Yes longer courses equals longer rounds no brainer there - but if the rules officials grew a set and start assessing penalties on INDIVIDUALS in the group I guarantee after a few weeks of assessing multiple penalties a dif players guess what guys on pro tours would play faster.

Secondly, for pete sake narrow fairways and grow rough up then guys have to think their way around instead of driver wedge driver wedge - pros want ultimate control over the golf ball on ALL shots narrow fairways and higher rough will make pros think hard about driver on every par 4 and par 5.

Lastly, if courses did this narrow fairways and grow rough guess what a 6,800 yard course par 70 would be plenty of test and some great tracks would be back in the mix to host a major.

Bags

• Like 1

Problem is nobody wants to work to get better. People just want everything to be even. That's not how the world works if you put the work in you get more out of it. Wah somebody hits the ball further than me it's not fair. Man up and do something about it ya sissy

• Like 2

Rant over

I think we can all agree distance isn't the issue. I know we have a show play thread. But to the points in this thread, what order of importance would you place each discussion point. ie... Course layout, ball development.

sent from planet Nebulon