TESTERS WANTED! ×

Jack Nicklaus vs The Golf Ball

golfinnut

This would throw a serious boat anchor on growth of the game. How many people would watch/play hockey if they put weights on everyone's skates?

As long as they don't bring back the blue streak on the puck.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

This is akin to tearing down your house for a leaky faucet. The golf ball isn't the only technology helping increase distance.

Should we also go back to using goats to cut the grass?

How about sheep, they taste better too.

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

I have always thought the course designs were too open. Instead of talking ball distance, design the courses do you don't want to hit long all the time. Force the players to use their irons more.

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

3 years ago the USGA was all about teeing it forward. Now they want us to not hit it as far.

Make up your mind, you can't have it both ways.

It's like I have these thoughts and I keep scrolling and you've already posted them! I cannot agree more with what you have said!

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

I'm still confused why people don't enjoy the long ball... people mad ar hr hitters or guys with fast slap shots. Pitchers throwing 103mph. Sounds like everyone will be getting a participation trophy soon. Either getting stronger and work at the long ball or get better with your irons.

From a "Basics Principles of Physics" perspective, Jack has a point re: increased distance as it relates to slow play.

More specifically, it is so much easier to hit a fairway with a ball that travels 250 yds than it is to hit the same fairway with a ball that travels 275 yds. If you'll concede the prior point but don't see Jack's reasoning yet, stay with me. In response to increases in ball distance, older designs have added tee boxes and newer designs are almost all 7000+ yards; but fairways haven't become appreciably wider. The same 250 yard mishit that put you on the right edge of the fairway now deposits you 5 yards into the deep stuff. And unfortunately, the 25 yard distance "advantage" has been absorbed by design changes so you're not any closer to the green than before the modern ball and now your lie is terrible.

The theory: a foursome playing at 6100 yards will score lower and subsequently play faster than the same foursome playing the same course at 6700 yards with a ball that travels 10% further.

agree but Jacks thought is geared towards pros not am s

Bags

http://www.golfchannel.com/article/golf-central-blog/nicklaus-eager-help-usga-rein-golf-ball-distance/

http://www.golfchannel.com/video/nicklaus-titleist-controls-game/

Jack Nicklaus wants to reign in the golf ball, bring it back "20%" .... back to when they used the wound golf ball.

He says it's taking too long to play golf. People don't have enough time to play golf, 5 hours or more.

I don't think the golf ball has anything to do with the slow play today in golf. We could go on for days about it but ...

Calling out Titleist? Really. Just because "they control the game."

Thoughts?

long long conversation here but bottom line don't roll ball back. Yes longer courses equals longer rounds no brainer there - but if the rules officials grew a set and start assessing penalties on INDIVIDUALS in the group I guarantee after a few weeks of assessing multiple penalties a dif players guess what guys on pro tours would play faster.

Secondly, for pete sake narrow fairways and grow rough up then guys have to think their way around instead of driver wedge driver wedge - pros want ultimate control over the golf ball on ALL shots narrow fairways and higher rough will make pros think hard about driver on every par 4 and par 5.

Lastly, if courses did this narrow fairways and grow rough guess what a 6,800 yard course par 70 would be plenty of test and some great tracks would be back in the mix to host a major.

Bags

Problem is nobody wants to work to get better. People just want everything to be even. That's not how the world works if you put the work in you get more out of it. Wah somebody hits the ball further than me it's not fair. Man up and do something about it ya sissy

Rant over

I think we can all agree distance isn't the issue. I know we have a show play thread. But to the points in this thread, what order of importance would you place each discussion point. ie... Course layout, ball development.

sent from planet Nebulon

I think we can all agree distance isn't the issue. I know we have a show play thread. But to the points in this thread, what order of importance would you place each discussion point. ie... Course layout, ball development.

sent from planet Nebulon

1. Course preparation. Slow the course down. Don't give them 30-40 yards of roll after that 290 yard carry. This impacts everyone, so it doesn't handicap the big hitters, but it does "protect" the course.

2. Course layout. Pinch in fairways at the landing areas of the really big hitters. This does level the playing field a bit, but the big hitters are hitting shorter clubs off the tee if they want to avoid trouble (reducing the chance of the big miss), and they're hitting shorter irons for their approaches than the shorter hitters, so they still have a big advantage.

3. Ball development. I hesitate to say anything about this, but just don't let balls get any longer. Don't roll it back and don't bifurcate.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

First off, I think it's important to note that GOLF does not have a distance problem; the PGA TOUR has a distance problem. IMO, it all stems from course setup. Just look at how much roll these guys are getting on the fairway. How many of us can say we ever experience anything like that on the courses we play? I know I can't - not on average at the very least. If the supers around here were mowing as frequently and as close as those tour setups I'd never be able play because the price increases would kill me. 

I've got a lot of respect for the Golden Bear, but quite simply - NO. If they want to do something about the golf ball then they can come up with a tournament ball and implement that at the pro ranks. No need to make yet another change that makes the game less fun for the vast majority.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

I have said this in other threads of a similar topic.  I fully realize, I have a "trained eye" being in civil engineering design for more than 22 years so. I apologize for the rant.  With that said, my firm (and many others) has made a comfortable living fixing Jack Nicklaus (and many others) designed golf courses after they open.  The modern concept of moving millions of cubic yards of dirt to "create" something foreign for the surroundings isn't conducive to long-term success.  Moving that much earth causes severe erosion issues and causes the natural water table to be shifted, often at the expense of neighboring properties. 

I can't tell you how many times moving that much earth shifted the water table from the area in which it had existed for thousands of years into another area causing marshy, wet conditions where none had existed before.  What is left behind in the shifting of the water table is unstable earth beneath the surface causing eventual sink-holes.  Sound familiar?

Next time you hear catch phrases such as "the pros want the course to play hard and fast" they really want 80 yards of run-out.  Take that away and you have a completely different golf course Mr. Nicklaus with no need to alter the golf ball!  Likewise, next time you hear someone say "Jack moved a million cubic yards of dirt to build this golf course" remember, one-million-cubic-yards-of-dirt is roughly 125,000 construction grade dump truck loads!  ONE-HUNDRED-TWENTY-FIVE-THOUSAND!

I will get off my soapbox now.

I'm still confused why people don't enjoy the long ball... people mad ar hr hitters or guys with fast slap shots. Pitchers throwing 103mph. Sounds like everyone will be getting a participation trophy soon. Either getting stronger and work at the long ball or get better with your irons.

The USGA is never about the people. I seriously doubt that a significant percentage of people who watch golf cares about this. It's fun to watch just like the fastballs and home runs.

I'm scared about all this because there is a parallel between the USGA and the NCAA. The NCAA refuses to be proactive and now has an unmanageable mess on its hand. They made me stop watching football a long time ago and I wanted to barf when I put a basketball game on yesterday. There are two sports that I once loved that I won't go back too, certainly never with football and perhaps never with basketball - depends on how they handle the situation. If only minor programs like Wichita St are punished while the blue bloods like Duke, NC, KY, Kansas and Mich St go untouched. I'm out.

Will the USGA do the same thing to golf?

Obviously it's possible, long at the groove rule or anchor ban where there was no tangible evidence that these things were impacting the game for 99 percent of golfers. So, I may continue to play golf socially but would stop watching it and not play it competitively.

College sports could easily afford to loose me. I don't think golf can. If they loose me they are loosing a lot more people too.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Jack was the Human Rain Delay of golf. His slow play was brutal and many pro's and ams copied him as the way to play the game. He is a blowhard that just want to protect his records.

Titleist TS 3 with Fuji Ventus R shaft

Epic Flash 3 & 5 woods

Cally Big Berta 2019 4 hybrid

Cally Apex 2019 5-PW

Cally 48*

Honma TW4 56*

Titleist Volker Raw wedge 60*

Scotty Cameron X5 putter

At the Honda this weekend there seems to be tons of drives carry the fairway bunkers. If the bunkers were 10 to 20 yards further from the tee box they might be in play again. I don't know who will pay to move them or how that would change the course for the average player the other 51 weeks of the year.

If they do change the ball it should be for pros and high level amateur events. I don't want to hit it any shorter than I do now.

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

At the Honda this weekend there seems to be tons of drives carry the fairway bunkers. If the bunkers were 10 to 20 yards further from the tee box they might be in play again. I don't know who will pay to move them or how that would change the course for the average player the other 51 weeks of the year.

If they do change the ball it should be for pros and high level amateur events. I don't want to hit it any shorter than I do now.

Exactly!   Leave that damn ball alone   ;)

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Personally I'm not that worked up over all this. They're not going to change the ball. If the golf powers that be; be, ... make the pros start playing a wound balata again. Or perhaps make them play an actual wooden driver off the tee and keep the current ball. That will change things I assure you.

Other than that I'm sleeping well at night.  :)

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Jack was the Human Rain Delay of golf. His slow play was brutal and many pro's and ams copied him as the way to play the game. He is a blowhard that just want to protect his records.

I'd be less than truthful if I said I wasn't thinking the same thing. I just don't understand what he thinks is going to change if they roll the ball back.

Yeah was thinking something similar .. he's looking at Tiger playing again and getting worried about his comp record "legacy"...

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

And here's another whacko half-joking thought: if they wanna rollback the ball, and as others have suggested the shafts and clubs also, then ... why not go all the way and make the pros wear those old-fashioned tight, heavy woolen suits with a buttoned shirt and a necktie plus heavy leather shoes ... that may slow down their swings and rollback their distances a bit..........

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I honestly don't see them rolling back the ball.  The PGA Tour is in business to make money.  People like to see the big hitters (wish I were one); crowds have always followed John Daly and now it's Tiger, Rory, JD, etc.  Birdies and eagles are exciting.  The money is rolling in.

If the USGA and R&A limit the golf ball, I believe that the PGA Tour will throw them the finger and keep allowing the current ball.  That puts the USGA and R&A in a pickle if the pros don't play the new ball.  Certainly the rest of us aren't going to play it!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

The tour doesn't even faze me how far they hit it.Just scares me with all the tech/launch monitors/Custom fitting and great instruction.That it has had very little benefits to my playing partners games.Nor that much to mine.Once we start hitting 350 yards than I will be all for throttling the ball back.In the mean time, I think they need to throttle the ball up for us amateurs not down

Keep it in the short stuff

I think this could be the worst thing to happen in golf in quite awhile. The game for us 99.9% is hard, it's really hard. So to penalize that section of the actual paying population of the game will be the final nail in the coffin possibly for the game of golf. Penalizing that 99.9% that pays to keep the courses open, and the registers at the proshops registers riniging is just an awful idea.

To knock roughly 20% off the drives of am golfers that hit ball roughly 240 off the tee (which is more than the average golfer already) is 48 yards. So the guy that averages 240 will be averaging 190+/- off the tee. I don't know about you but that sounds like fun to me (sarcasm)?

My old man is 70, and his playing partners are too. Just 2 seasons ago they swallowed their pride and moved from the mens tees to the senior tees. They got sick of not having fun hitting driver fairway wood/hybrids/long irons into what we'd consider short to mid par 4's. So like I said they swallowed some pride and moved forward to the senior tees (which are basically the womens tees on like 13/18 holes). Now take away 20% from these dedicated lifer's of the game and you rob the fun they just gained.

I mean this really will be the final nail in coffin to growing the game, getting the 2-3x's a month player, and possibly newbies from getting fully involved.

Changing the whole game for .01% of golfers in just asinine. Why not grow the rough thicker on tour, slow down the damn fairways so they're not getting 30-40 yards of roll off the tee, make the bunkers bigger, and the landing znes for drivers smaller. Hell get rid of par 5's if your worried about protecting par. Nobody wants to watch Tiger and Rory rip 260-270 yard drives....

Taylormade SLDR 430- Ahina 70S
Titleist 915FD 15*- D+ 80S
Titleist 915H 21*- D+ 90S
Titleist 915H 23*- D+ 90S
Titleist AP2 718 (5-Gap)- Steelfiber i95S
Scratch TD DW 54* & 58* KBS HiRev 125S

Odyssey O-Works 7S

Byron Morgan DH11 360g (carbon)

TP Mills Softail 354g (carbon)
TP Mills Heritage 349g (carbon)
Byron Morgan 006 355g (carbon)
C&L CL1 368g (carbon)

Ok This topic i  have studied and heard all sorts of arguments.

Jack in my opinion is wrong in many ways.  Easily, he needs to look at the time spent per player on a hole to see where time is wasted.  On the putting green would have the largest % time spent.  A time clock on the green would fix that problem.

OK now long hitting is not an issue for big hitters, the bomb it long and flip a wedge mentality has driven guys into the gym and made the equipment manufacturers a s*** load of money by pumping out new model clubs each year with the claims of longer & straighter every time.  The players don't really seem to care if they hit fairways, they just adapt and get better at their wedge play.  But there is a downside to all this distance and i do believe it needs addressing for many other reasons.  Golf is a game of skill, not chance nor is it a measure of strength or speed. One may use strength, speed and we all love a bit of luck but skill will always win the day.  Golf courses are designed and have been done so for many many years to test this skill.  If we continue down the course of bomb it long and flip a wedge the game will be in ruins.  Golf courses are not in a position to be redesigned to suit this long drive contest mentality. The land is not available, the money for staffing, water, and other agronomy issues are limited.

We need to look at the PGA Tour as a major culprit of this distance / pace of play issue.  They play in the most benign conditions week in week out, where the players will bomb it long as the weather has very little effect.  The PGA Tour schedule is set based on the weather aiming at shooting low scores..... the fans love birdies!

Playing for 1.8million 1st prize also makes one take more time over their actions, i bet Jack didn't think about that.

So will rolling the ball back by design make a difference, yes it will.  But us plebs love to play the game the pro's do and it would hurt us big time, our best drives will be good, but our average drives will be pox, and see us hitting 4 irons into medium length par 4's.

My suggestion is to have #1lessclub in the bag.  No more Driver.  Simple.  13 clubs, a 3 wood will give a Pro 280yrd / 300yrd, this should be plenty to see them get it in play and rip it down the middle.  The fans wont mind seeing pro's hitting 8 & 9 irons into par 4's.  Currently they are hitting them into par 5's, what a joke distance is making of this beautiful game.

We need to stop the selfish what about me and start looking at why we play this game, how good it is and how good it should stay, rather than being steamrolled by equipment manufacturers hell bent on selling more product at the expense of our game.

Other sports limit the equipment they use.  Tennis balls are controlled, Cricket bats are restricted in size weight & shape.  Baseball bats are made of wood for Pro's.  It can be done.

What I don't understand about the Nicklaus "ball is the problem" argument, manufacturers are just going to come up with newer, different technology to work around any rule imposed.  Look at the "groove rule" changes.  Has it really had any effect on play for the 1% of golfers who compete for millions of dollars?  Equipment companies have designed new technology that equals anything that was out there prior to the rule change.

This whole "change the rules" mindset is reactionary.  The USGA approved every ball design currently legal for play.  And Mr. Nicklaus should design better golf courses if he's worried about them becoming "obsolete" as he stated on an interview I saw the other night.

I'm guessing the USGA/R&A know what they want to do, but they're easing us all into it - amateurs, pros, equipment manufacturers, etc.

I completely agree. Before declaring a real war you need to prime the press, square the U.N., make up your reasons, etc. The USGA following a similar playbook, isn't starting this public relations war by launching nukes out of nowhere. But it might be time to start stocking up/rationing pre-rollback ammunition for the long haul...or rather the long ball.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

Archived