2 Weeks Remaining: MODERATOR WANTED Join the MyGolfSpy Staff! Read more... ×

I fairly new to interacting in the forums and I'm obviously not as connected in the industry as many of you are but I figured why not post this here and see what everyone thinks. Now this may have been previously mentioned (If so apologize for the double post) but I was getting some question answered by someone at Arccos and they mentioned that they have a new sensor set coming that would essentially open up the availability of Cobra Connect to everyone and not just Cobra users. The set would presumably replace the 14 screw sensors with 13 grips with specialized sensors (likely the same one used by Cobra) and 1 putter screw. Wish I had more solid evidence than just a conversation to share with everyone but its still a really cool possibility that I hope becomes a reality. 

• Like 7

Arccos is presumably suggesting that golfers lay out $300.00 every time their wrenches need to be re-gripped?

No, thank you.

• Like 4

Arccos is presumably suggesting that golfers lay out $300.00 every time their wrenches need to be re-gripped?

No, thank you.

Those $$ are just insane. I replace my grips once a season so they would want me to replace with arccos grips every time when I could just screw in their sensors instead. No thanks.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I do think it's a cool idea.  I think the goal of all these shot tracking systems is to become as inconspicuous as possible.  A system that doesn't require my phone in my pocket, no tagging, and integrated in to the golf club is probably the holy grail.

All that said I agree with downlowkey.  I'd have to see what the cost adder is to have that integrated into the grip.  My gut reaction is that it's going to be much higher than I'm willing to pay.  Plus think about how many sku's of grips are out there.  Between the different manufacturers, different models and different colors it's pretty mind boggling how many options there are.  Plus it seems very wasteful to have to replace a working tag just because you need to replace a grip.  Unless they can come up with some way of re-engineering the grip to make the tag removable it just seems like added cost without a huge benefit.

Considering the first thing I do when I get a club is usually replace the grip with what I currently play, I don't see myself being swayed to purchase this type of thing.

• Like 3

I have one Cobra grip with the sensor. (came with a secondhand shaft I purchased) I thought about putting it on my game driver and playing around with it a few times. If I don't give the thing away later I might consider removing the sensor and seeing about sticking it onto another grip. Should work I guess?

• Like 1

To follow Meyer's post about the sensors. It wouldn't take any serious "engineering" at all to make the butt end of a grip receptive to holding a sensor. Just a small hollow space with a small lip to slip and secure the sensor under. Pretty sure a rookie engineer or CAD flunky has already designed this for Arccos.

• Like 1

To follow Meyer's post about the sensors. It wouldn't take any serious "engineering" at all to make the butt end of a grip receptive to holding a sensor. Just a small hollow space with a small lip to slip and secure the sensor under. Pretty sure a rookie engineer or CAD flunky has already designed this for Arccos.

I agree it wouldn't be hard, but the cost of re-tooling all your molds would have to be pretty high and I'm guessing the grip OEM is going to eat that, not Arccos.  And either way it would mean we the consumer would be fronting the bill in the end.

Until Arccos, Game Golf and Shot Scope all get together and make a standardized sensor design I don't see any grip OEM taking the leap of faith.  And I see a standardized sensor happening right after all the club OEM's get together and make a standardized hosel adapter.

• Like 1

Until Arccos, Game Golf and Shot Scope all get together and make a standardized sensor design I don't see any grip OEM taking the leap of faith.  And I see a standardized sensor happening right after all the club OEM's get together and make a standardized hosel adapter.

can I also add credit card terminals?  <_>

• Like 2

This isn't necessarily for the new Arccos system but what if they made skinny sensors that could go underneath the grips? Like something that locks over (or inside) the butt of the shaft then allows you to slide your grip over it with minimal increase in thickness? That's the best of both worlds.

I think Arccos is took a big risk aligning with Cobra so closely but it paid off big-time because Cobra has made some awesome clubs the last few generations that are finally getting the recognition they deserved. If they want to grow, it makes perfect sense to work a little harder on a set that can be used with any OEM.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

can I also add credit card terminals?  <_>

Not sure where you're trying to put your credit card, but mine has fit in any terminal I've ever tried to use.

This isn't necessarily for the new Arccos system but what if they made skinny sensors that could go underneath the grips? Like something that locks over (or inside) the butt of the shaft then allows you to slide your grip over it with minimal increase in thickness? That's the best of both worlds.

I think Arccos is took a big risk aligning with Cobra so closely but it paid off big-time because Cobra has made some awesome clubs the last few generations that are finally getting the recognition they deserved. If they want to grow, it makes perfect sense to work a little harder on a set that can be used with any OEM.

That's definitely a solution I would like better, but then you run in to someone who doesn't install with air having to remove grips to use Arccos.

Actually that's one of my gripes with the embedded sensors like Cobra uses too.  I'm assuming it blocks the air hole so you can't install them with a compressor anymore.

• Like 2

It looks like Lamkin is making several of their grips in models that will accommodate the Cobra Connect-style Arccos sensor. But for right now, it looks like you can only get the grips through Cobra.

https://www.cobragolf.com/cobra-connect-grips

https://www.cobragolf.com/tryconnect

Yes, it does look like you can pop the sensors out and put them into a different grip with the hole to accommodate the sensor. $10/grip is too much for a REL, though.

I'd love to see Arccos sell the in-grip style themselves, not just on Cobra clubs. I wonder if you can roll your own by buying a bunch of "replacement" sensors.

We were told by our rep that you could buy the cobra grips with arccos for $7.50 a pop. Don't know if that is only for Cobra clubs, but that's what we were told.

$7.50 for a smart grip is a pretty good price. Seems like it'd hurt Arccos' profitability though, as you'd be able to buy an entire set for just under $100 (not including putter sensor) versus the Arccos hardware itself for $250. Granted you wouldn't be able to use whatever grips you want.

• Like 1

Arccos will replace any defective sensors due to battery failure for $5 a piece (if after their warranty period).

Assume, at most, that an arccos grip would be "cost of grip" + $5. That is premium but not completely outrageous. Plus, I would imagine that arccos price would come in considerably lower than that. 

I also wouldn't be surprised if they take the cobra or game golf approach which means you keep your sensor and would be cheaper still. 

https://mygolfspy.com/game-golf-releases-smart-grips-with-golf-pride/

I have the second generation Arccos sensors and like the way the system currently works. Any grip on the market works with the sensors. An integrated grip would limit what grips I can use.

That's definitely a solution I would like better, but then you run in to someone who doesn't install with air having to remove grips to use Arccos.

Actually that's one of my gripes with the embedded sensors like Cobra uses too.  I'm assuming it blocks the air hole so you can't install them with a compressor anymore.

The sensors can be easily removed and there is a small hole on top of the grip that allows the grip to be installed with air. I just did it with my Ping driver.

I think the analytics these things give are incredibly valuable and I do think something like this is the wave of the future but as others have said they have to find a way to bring it to the masses at a price point that everyone can afford, spending $300 every time you regrup your clubs is not going to cut it. Now if Arccos were to come out with some sort of trade up program where they sent you a new set of grips with sensors installed for the cost of the grips if you already own their smart grips and you returned the old ones to them or something to that effect....not sure how it would work, but I could see some sort of subscription program where you get a new set of grips with sensors once a year to install on your clubs for “X” number of dollars.

Sensors could be removed from the old grip  and replaced into new grips just like Cobra Connect can. You wouldn't need to be buying a new sensor if ur grip has just worn out. Only cost when re-gripping would be the price of whatever grip u had chosen.

I think the analytics these things give are incredibly valuable and I do think something like this is the wave of the future but as others have said they have to find a way to bring it to the masses at a price point that everyone can afford, spending $300 every time you regrup your clubs is not going to cut it. Now if Arccos were to come out with some sort of trade up program where they sent you a new set of grips with sensors installed for the cost of the grips if you already own their smart grips and you returned the old ones to them or something to that effect....not sure how it would work, but I could see some sort of subscription program where you get a new set of grips with sensors once a year to install on your clubs for “X” number of dollars.

• Like 2

I think it would be more important for Arccos to release the caddy function to work throughout each hole instead of just off the tee. If they can get it work and work really well. I'd spend money on regular Arccos enabled grips.