2 Weeks Remaining: MODERATOR WANTED Join the MyGolfSpy Staff! Read more... ×

I'm not much of a hat guy.  If I wear one at all it is a low profile visor.  That said I'm getting older and starting to think about sun protection.  That would be something more than a baseball cap.  

Anyone come across something halfway decent that doesn't make you look like Crocodile Dundee?

Maybe a boonie hat? 

• Like 1

I wear a panama hat when I golf or fish.  Many styles to choose from and brims of varying widths.  If you buy a decent one they will last a long time.  I have a few I purchased new over ten years ago and a couple more I got vintage that were made in the late sixties and early seventies.  If you purchase a natural fibre panama it should still smell a little smoky no matter the age.  If no smell then the fibres have dried out they will start to break.

I started wearing a Pukka brand hat like Triplett a couple of years ago. Actually my wife liked it and bought it for me for my birthday. Before that I always wore visors. That has sorta became a trademark for me around here with the locals that combined with my Stenson shades and cigar. Now in real cold weather I wear my toboggan hat. I never thought I would like the Pukka hat but I sorta grew into it. Now mine is a bit more floppy than Kirk Triplett's and I call it my floppy hat. Sometimes I can catch some flack over it but I growl and say "my wife bought me that hat"  Now I have a Norman type hat I bought at the Goodwill for $1.99 that is straw. Has a hat band on it advertising Tabasco hot sauce and on the back it says "bite me" which is exactly what I am going to tell the first person who comments bad on it. I am waiting for spring and summer for it

• Like 4

I like the bucket hats but I think they would annoy me eventually like regular hat does. Sun screen and sun glasses are my wheel house

I only wear bucket hats (bald guy problems)....very comfortable and better sun protection than a baseball hat....and you don't end up with this:

96705081.jpg

I have many, some I like more than others.....the UA ones are probably my favorite, I also have a Callaway one I like a lot

• Like 2

I like Tilley hats from Canada.  They are a little pricey but worth it IMHO.  I have a tecwool winter hat and two brimmed hats with vents for summer.  I have had good luck getting reasonable sale prices from 

https://hollandhats.com

• Like 1

I'm bald also and just don't like something squeezing my head for 4hrs. Why I let the head get some sun to avoid that. I just use spf 30-50 all the time

I'm not much of a hat guy. If I wear one at all it is a low profile visor. That said I'm getting older and starting to think about sun protection. That would be something more than a baseball cap.

Anyone come across something halfway decent that doesn't make you look like Crocodile Dundee?

Maybe a boonie hat?

First of all, most of the Tilly hats look pretty dorkie to me, and I dislike baseball style hats. Due to a recent operation for a malignant melanoma, I've taken an old Panama hat out of retirement. I like it!! Particularly like that it has that lived in look.

Sent from my SM-N950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

To be avoided at all costs

IMG_1725.JPG

The Matt

Only to be worn if going to a fight at the sewerage farm

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 5

This is not an answer to the question, but want to throw it in just in case some have never heard of them. One of the best hats out there (my opinion) is Black Clover. I, like other golfers like to match, and Black Clover has a lot of color and combinations. Plus, they're neutral and not affiliated with any golf brand (that I know of).

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I just can't do the bucket, or round-brimmed hats. I probably should for health's sake, but there isn't one that looks good to me....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I only wear bucket hats (bald guy problems)....very comfortable and better sun protection than a baseball hat....and you don't end up with this:

96705081.jpg

I have many, some I like more than others.....the UA ones are probably my favorite, I also have a Callaway one I like a lot

Please tell me this was photoshopped a bit?! Holy cow that looks terrible. What does he do if he goes out to dinner somewhere nice?

• Like 2

Just got my titelist Aussie hat in. I'm no fan of skin cancer.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I have this hat as well.  The Titleist logo mitigates the "dork" factor a little bit.  I wish it had more ventilation.

I have this hat as well. The Titleist logo mitigates the "dork" factor a little bit. I wish it had more ventilation.

Yeah I have the older model. Looks like they have a newer one that may be better ventilated. If not I'll try the Bridgestone one.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I second the Panama hat. I use one for the New Mexico sun in the summer. Got mine from target.

I can relate to the OP because I never wore hats growing up. I wear a black baseball cap for the winter.

Never liked my look in a hat but I feel more secure in both hats in my older age.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy