Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Impulse Purchases?

ole gray

Are you guilty of walking in your local golf big box store and walking out with the goods?  Hmmmmm yea I can't deny it's happen to me a time or ten.  Heck those shiny new toys just beg to be taken home and you're thinking it feels good, looks good, so it must be perfect for me!  Now that you're a member of MGS, you can go into those stores and impulse buy with a purpose because you're equipped with knowledge.  So who all on our forum is guilty of the old walk in and walk out with the goods?

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not guilty!

I don't frequent golf stores very often. The reason is I don't need any of the stuff they are selling. It's all over priced for starters. If I need balls I get them from MG Golf or Snell. Sometimes I get a dozen through business dealings or charity golf events. Occasionally when I'm at Academy to pickup some ammo or something I'll perhaps glance at their ball selection. Sometimes they will have dramatic markdowns. But for golf clubs and such I haven't bought anything from a traditional retailer for probably 15 years. As an example I've recently purchased two NEW (2014 & 2015 models) drivers off ebay. Both were sub-$100 including shipping. As for golf clothing.... a golf retail shop is the last place I'd look.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

This has to be one advantage of living in a remote part of the country: the nearest golf store has to be at least two hours away.

So I make up for with impulse buys online.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

I'm an analyzer.  I guess I am an engineer at heart and in my mind.  Rarely have I walked into a store and bought anything on impulse.  Sure, I will try clubs, especially when the new stuff arrives, but even if I like something I will come back again... and sometimes again and again before I will buy.  The times I have walked into a store and bought something are when I have studied and thoroughly researched it and wanted to buy it.  

Of course, I can do something stupid... and have!!  I never buy anything at Dick's Sporting Goods because they never have anything I need or want.  Yesterday on my drive home through Portland I stopped at Dick's.  I have had a gift certificate for, oh let's say 10 years, and hadn't used it.  I was surprised that it was still good.  I didn't even know how much money was on the card.  I decided to buy the Callaway Sure Out wedge.  I wouldn't have done it except for the $50 gift certificate.  When I got home I went to the course and hit balls from various lies.  Hmmmm!  Maybe I wasn't so stupid!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I am not an impulse buyer. I look at stuff for a long time and generally decide that it is more money than I want to spend. When I go to golf stores I see lots of okay stuff just don't end up purchasing. I even struggle when I have gift cards; just nothing all that interesting. Guess I have all the golf stuff I need.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Not usually in a store but get some bourbon in me and it's amazing what you can find on sale online. 🤦🏼‍♂️

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

An interesting find on the used putter rack will rope me in every now and then, but I'm pretty good about planning out my new club purchases.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

Not usually in a store but get some bourbon in me and it's amazing what you can find on sale online. 🤦🏼‍♂️

LOL! Bourbon had encouraged many an online purchase

Cleveland

LOL! Bourbon had encouraged many an online purchase

Funny how those happen. Even better is the look from the mrs. When another package shows up at the door.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

Funny how those happen. Even better is the look from the mrs. When another package shows up at the door.

I got one the other day and my wife hid it from me. I was like, where's my effing shipment I was suppose to receive today. She finally fessed up after putting the squeeze on me.

Cleveland

Well, there's that... but I have all my golf purchases online sent to my wife's place of business because it's rare that I'm home when things are delivered.  My wife tells me that the UPS/FedEX delivery guy always has a "look".  She just says "It's for my husband."

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'm not guilty!

I don't frequent golf stores very often. The reason is I don't need any of the stuff they are selling. It's all over priced for starters. If I need balls I get them from MG Golf or Snell. Sometimes I get a dozen through business dealings or charity golf events. Occasionally when I'm at Academy to pickup some ammo or something I'll perhaps glance at their ball selection. Sometimes they will have dramatic markdowns. But for golf clubs and such I haven't bought anything from a traditional retailer for probably 15 years. As an example I've recently purchased two NEW (2014 & 2015 models) drivers off ebay. Both were sub-$100 including shipping. As for golf clothing.... a golf retail shop is the last place I'd look.

I agree with you-- I hardly ever go into any of the big box stores--- I do some business with a friend of mine who owns a local shop and we work together on stuff. He does a lot of Flea Bay business and if a customer inquires as to a club and he does not have it he calls me. I do a lot of horse trading and store credit things with him and he knows where I find a vast majority of my clubs at. As far as grips etc I order quite a few from Maltby but also salvage good grips from POS clubs I find on the yard at work. As far as clothes being a big guy I find what looks good that I can wear at the outlet stores----- I guess I am one cheap SOB

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Amazon kills me with impulse purchases.  Most recent was the orange whip. I have never even swung one.  I hope it does something!  

:callaway-small:  Epic Flash SZ 9o w/ Ventus 6X

:callaway-small:  Rogue 4wd w/ ATMOS Red 7X

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20o w/ ATMOS Blue 7S tipped 1"

:mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour 4i - PW (standard lofts) Rifle

:titelist-small:  SM6 51o, 59o, SM7 55o   

:titelist-small:  2019 ProV1x

:tp-mills-1: Custom Ming

Amazon kills me with impulse purchases.

THIS x 1000. Especially if you have Prime. Sometimes I have withdrawals if I'm not receiving a package in the mail, haha.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Amazon kills me with impulse purchases. Most recent was the orange whip. I have never even swung one. I hope it does something!

One of the best purchases you'll make this year! Love my orange whip

Cleveland

I'm pretty sure my middle name is impulse.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Amazon kills me with impulse purchases.  Most recent was the orange whip. I have never even swung one.  I hope it does something!  

You'll love it.  I tried it at the PGA Show last month and should have ordered it right there. I've been puttying it off since I got back.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

You'll love it. I tried it at the PGA Show last month and should have ordered it right there. I've been puttying it off since I got back.

We'll git off that big arse and get ya one!

Cleveland

Amazon doesn't even make me make impulse buys. I have a quite a few gift cards for amazon that are just sitting on my dresser. I have thought about the orange whip and super speed golf but always find a reason to not pull the trigger.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Now that you're a member of MGS, you can go into those stores and impulse buy with a purpose because you're equipped with knowledge.

While I always applaud a good MGS plug, I'm having some trouble wrapping my head around the marriage of impulsive and purposeful.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

A couple of years ago...maybe three now, I forget...they opened a Golfsmith about 15 minutes from my house....woo-boy was I excited...first, I rarely buy new - depreciation on golf clubs has got to be even higher than a new car!...but this Golfsmith had a bunch of used stuff and they had hitting bays with launch monitors that you could use too....that was fun, but I'm like BIG STU - a cheap SOB.  I never did walk in there without the intention of buying something and end up with something.  I did buy a couple gloves and some tees (knowing that was what I was going in for) but their other stuff was overpriced (maybe that's one of the reasons they went out of business) and I knew I could get it cheaper online.  C'mon - 60.00 for a golf shirt?  Seriously...

For now, there isn't a golf shop near me so it really helps with the urge.

I will confess though - I'm an ebay-oholic.  I'm constantly looking for deals on there... craigslist/golfwrx not so much but ebay can have some real bargains.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I don't frequent big box stores much.  But I impulse buy the hell out of the classifieds, amazon and ebay.  I bet half my golf purchases have come from Wed nights after men's league coming home half in the bag.  Win a few bucks on the course and have a good night of dice in the club house and it just makes me want to buy golf stuff.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Not clubs- too expensive that would get me in trouble. But shoes, hats, balls, shirts everything else is on the table.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 w/ Diamana X 70g B4 setting

Irons: TaylorMade R7 TP 4-PW S300 shafts 1* upright

Titleist Vokey Wedges 50-54-58

Cobra Fly-z 16.5 FW

Adams Pro Boxer hybrid 18*

6.5 index, RH, Cleveland, OH

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Perhaps it's time for Kenny to do a Sure-Out review. Hmmm?

I'm interested.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

So, as someone who worked in those big box shops for 4 years, outside of simple accessory purposes (tees, spikes, gloves, grips) I don't recall buying anything in a big box store for myself that I didn't need while working for Dick's or at GG. The only "impulse" buy i've made in some time was the Triton I picked up last year, but that was slightly researched, not pure impulse. The only thing that pushed it quick was the stock (2 left in my specs) and clearance pricing.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

While I always applaud a good MGS plug, I'm having some trouble wrapping my head around the marriage of impulsive and purposeful.

Well you purposely buy something because you have an impulse

Cleveland

Scotch seems to work the same way. Whisky must make us better online bargain finders. Haha

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

Archived