TESTERS WANTED! ×

Tinkerers

For all you guys into tinkering. Any projects upcoming in 2018 you giys are thinking of doing?

Im thinking of getting some wedge blanks and doing some custom grinds and shapes.

Sent from my SM-G950W using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver- Mizuno jpx Ez 9.5(set to low) with Matrix Red tie limited edition masters green with multicompound red platinum 44.5" f3 wood- Adams tight lies 16* Mitsubishi rayon fubuki x flex3-9 irons- Mizuno T-zoid pro irons s300 w sensicores47*, 56* Mizuno s5 wedge white satinPutter- odyssey #9 pro with super stroke 3.0All other clubs have different coloured multi compounds

I did custom grinds on my Cleveland wedges to take off the VT sole. Love the VT sole on my irons but it was playing hell with my chips and pitches off of some of the hard packed lies we get down here. I got the 50* wedge perfect but I still need to smooth out the 55* a little more and maybe take a bit more heel out of it.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

I did custom grinds on my Cleveland wedges to take off the VT sole. Love the VT sole on my irons but it was playing hell with my chips and pitches off of some of the hard packed lies we get down here. I got the 50* wedge perfect but I still need to smooth out the 55* a little more and maybe take a bit more heel out of it.

Any pics? I was thinking of a grind like on the sole of itobori wedges. I love that lookIMG_4988_1024x1024.jpeg

Driver- Mizuno jpx Ez 9.5(set to low) with Matrix Red tie limited edition masters green with multicompound red platinum 44.5" f3 wood- Adams tight lies 16* Mitsubishi rayon fubuki x flex3-9 irons- Mizuno T-zoid pro irons s300 w sensicores47*, 56* Mizuno s5 wedge white satinPutter- odyssey #9 pro with super stroke 3.0All other clubs have different coloured multi compounds

I've done ball markers from copper blanks and will continue to tinker with those.

I also started doing ball mark repair tools in aluminum, brass and copper.  Took some testing but I've got my design down now that incorporates a bottle opener in to them.  I've been trying to figure out an easier way to polish them so I'm making a DIY rock tumber out of an old corded drill and the rods with rubber grippers out of an old printer.

I also mad a bottle opener out of an old wedge, buddy saw it and gave me a bunch of old wedges so I guess I'll be making a few more of those as well.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I love to paint, change shafts, change ferrules, grips, also do some wedge grinding.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

I've done ball markers from copper blanks and will continue to tinker with those.

I also started doing ball mark repair tools in aluminum, brass and copper. Took some testing but I've got my design down now that incorporates a bottle opener in to them. I've been trying to figure out an easier way to polish them so I'm making a DIY rock tumber out of an old corded drill and the rods with rubber grippers out of an old printer.

I also mad a bottle opener out of an old wedge, buddy saw it and gave me a bunch of old wedges so I guess I'll be making a few more of those as well.

Bottle opener is always needed

Any pics? I was thinking of a grind like on the sole of itobori wedges. I love that lookattachicon.gifIMG_4988_1024x1024.jpeg

Before:

WITB 2017 (2).JPG

After (Bent the 52 to 50 and a 56 to 55:

file.jpeg

file4.jpeg

file1.jpeg

file5.jpeg

file6.jpeg

Loving the feel of these so far!

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

Looks very good. What kind of grinder did you use?

Looks very good. What kind of grinder did you use?

Standard bench grinder to get the main stuff off and set the contour, and then various grits of wet/dry sandpaper to get the sole smooth to the touch. Last part is slow but I am picky as to the feel and a standard banch grinder leaves it pretty rough. I just go slow and try to take all of the maerial off in the same direction in little ribbons.

I eventually want to get some golf specific tools but they are so expensive when you only do your own clubs.

Standard bench grinder to get the main stuff off and set the contour, and then various grits of wet/dry sandpaper to get the sole smooth to the touch. Last part is slow but I am picky as to the feel and a standard banch grinder leaves it pretty rough. I just go slow and try to take all of the maerial off in the same direction in little ribbons.

I eventually want to get some golf specific tools but they are so expensive when you only do your own clubs.

Yeah I hear ya. They are pricey and its hard to justify the cost. Even to do other peoples clubs i still think it is hard to justify. Others on here may disagree but I dont have the time to do full time

I also started doing ball mark repair tools in aluminum, brass and copper. Took some testing but I've got my design down now that incorporates a bottle opener in to them. I've been trying to figure out an easier way to polish them so I'm making a DIY rock tumber out of an old corded drill and the rods with rubber grippers out of an old printer.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

What size lettering do you use on blanks? Also where do you get the copper blanks? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

You can get the blanks from eBay and Etsy I believe. Here's a link to the blanks I've got on my watchlist on eBay.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F282074114373

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Right now nothing planned but with me you never know.. This week I did find a partial set of 65 model Hogan plus 2 bounce sole irons. I will more than likely evaluate them and clean them up for play. Also found a R-11 driver in great shape along with another Wilson JP II wedge. LOL I think that brought my JP total up to 25 or so no joke. For some of the newer members that do not know me I drive a truck for a metal recycling company and end up finding a lot of stuff. I did my big project during the cold snap we had during the holidays--- had a pristine set of Macgregor VIPs I ended up blue printing and putting vintage Hogan Apex shafts in. These are my front line set now

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Right now nothing planned but with me you never know.. This week I did find a partial set of 65 model Hogan plus 2 bounce sole irons. I will more than likely evaluate them and clean them up for play. Also found a R-11 driver in great shape along with another Wilson JP II wedge. LOL I think that brought my JP total up to 25 or so no joke. For some of the newer members that do not know me I drive a truck for a metal recycling company and end up finding a lot of stuff. I did my big project during the cold snap we had during the holidays--- had a pristine set of Macgregor VIPs I ended up blue printing and putting vintage Hogan Apex shafts in. These are my front line set now

Sounds like you have a vintage collection!

Sounds like you have a vintage collection!

LOL I have quite a vintage collection---- I am the MGS resident vintage club ho!! Now over on WRX I am not a blip on the radar screen. I have probably close to 75 persimmon drivers and close to 100 vintage putters. Wedges close to 150 I know I have about 25 Wilson JPII wedges not counting other Wilson wedges and old non conforming Cleveland 588s I probably have close to 30 of the 588s alone. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Wedges close to 150 I know I have about 25 Wilson JPII wedges not counting other Wilson wedges and old non conforming Cleveland 588s I probably have close to 30 of the 588s alone.

I hadn't seen a JPII since I caddied back in the early 90s until recently, when one of the kids in our TFT programs had one. Those things are brutally heavy.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

LOL I have quite a vintage collection---- I am the MGS resident vintage club ho!! Now over on WRX I am not a blip on the radar screen. I have probably close to 75 persimmon drivers and close to 100 vintage putters. Wedges close to 150 I know I have about 25 Wilson JPII wedges not counting other Wilson wedges and old non conforming Cleveland 588s I probably have close to 30 of the 588s alone.

There aint a decent golfer that hasnt used or still own 588 wedge. They are a staple. Classic perfect shape.

I hadn't seen a JPII since I caddied back in the early 90s until recently, when one of the kids in our TFT programs had one. Those things are brutally heavy.

All the old wedges were heavy and all the older guys like me that is what we learned the game with. Modern newer wedges no matter the brand or if they are forged or cast seem too light to me. See back when I did the Renegar wedge test for MGS after the first evaluation I had to get with I think Barbajo (John) and get the ok to use lead tape to get the weight up for me.Just the way I honed my game and feel with the heavier wedges

G

There aint a decent golfer that hasnt used or still own 588 wedge. They are a staple. Classic perfect shape.

A lot of folks do not know where the 588 designation comes from-- Look at the profile it is an exact copy of the 1958 Wilson Staff sand wedge which was a tour and better player staple throughout the 60s into the 80s.

The "58" comes from Wilson Staff as in 1958

The "8" comes from 8* of bounce which the old staff was stock and the Cleveland standard stock version is too.

One of the newer T Mag wedges is also a copy of the tried and true design complete with the bore through hosel and red plug like the original Wilson. Cleveland never did a bore through 588 to my knowledge

G

Thats very interesting stu! I didnt know that

Stu - Thanks for the history lesson! I thought the TM wedge looked quite a bit like the old WS Dynapower bore-through. And I never knew the history of the 588.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Not knocking Cleveland golf at all but a lot of his early stuff was quality copies of classic stuff thus Cleveland Classics. They made some great copies of classic Macgregor persimmon woods back in the 80s. In fact they made 2 of the best copies of the famed Wilson 8802 putter. I have a couple of the woods and they hit as good as any persimmon made back in the day. I also have one of the 8802 copies I have had 25 years or more and I putt with it better than I do a real 8802

G

I picked up a center shaft Odyssey White Hot 2 center shaft with an insert that is peeling off. Im going to take out the insert, clean the club up, refinish, and put a copper insert back in.

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Finished up my first finished product for a divot tool.  I've got a bunch of copper, brass and aluminum I'm going to make some out of.  I figured out quickly that making a divot tool is easy, polishing and grinding a divot tool is hard.  So I just went hand hammered for this one.

IMG_6839.JPG

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Finished up my first finished product for a divot tool. I've got a bunch of copper, brass and aluminum I'm going to make some out of. I figured out quickly that making a divot tool is easy, polishing and grinding a divot tool is hard. So I just went hand hammered for this one.

IMG_6839.JPG

That looks awesome and very well made. Great job on the hammered finish!

A lot of folks do not know where the 588 designation comes from-- Look at the profile it is an exact copy of the 1958 Wilson Staff sand wedge which was a tour and better player staple throughout the 60s into the 80s.

The "8" comes from 8* of bounce which the old staff was stock and the Cleveland standard stock version is too.

One of the newer T Mag wedges is also a copy of the tried and true design complete with the bore through hosel and red plug like the original Wilson. Cleveland never did a bore through 588 to my knowledge

Sorry there Stu, but have to call you out on this one, unless you have something else to back it up.  From this article, the "5" comes from it being Cleveland's 5th design and the "88" comes from being released in 1988.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Golf

Sorry there Stu, but have to call you out on this one, unless you have something else to back it up.  From this article, the "5" comes from it being Cleveland's 5th design and the "88" comes from being released in 1988.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Golf

Also, as far as I know, the TM wedges aren't a  true bore through, even though they do have a red "plug" on the bottom making them appear so?  I've never owned or even held any of them so can't say for sure, but think that's correct?

Archived